What is the WORST gift you've ever received?

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What is the WORST gift you've ever received?

Post by Diorette »

We don't have evidence of this but my mom has 2 best friends who always join to give her one gift for her birthday, the last one was a scarf... who smelled like perfume so it was probably worn. They have a lot of money and my mom always gets them separate gifts.

welshie
Lurker
Lurker

Post by welshie »

My nana (bless her) gave me a tube of toothpaste and 2 bottles of £1 shampoo for christmas last year. She thought one of the bottles was conditioner, haha.

toucs
Learner
Learner

Post by toucs »

My boyfriends drunk uncle brought a bag of cheap toiletries. Deodorants, toothpastes and brushes, hairspray and shaving foam and even some pantyhose. We had to lucky dip. I got panty hose but i asked for the deodorant. So i could keep it as a spare at my boyfriends..

Also, a few years back i went christmas shopping with my best friend. I watched her buy earrings, jewellery and cute body sprays and soaps for all her friends she made at college.. I helped her wrap them too. And nice and pretty with decorative paper and bows.
Wanna know what i got... A letter. Telling me she appreciated me as a friend. Then 3 months later I had to move away and I never heard from her again.

Ellle
Talker
Talker

Post by Ellle »

ChienParfume wrote:
Ellesywellesy wrote:A family friend on mine gave me a portable water bottle for dogs, on my birthday. I cant really get any use out of it. It's the thought that counts, I guess.
Do you have a dog?

I rarely get any presents, the people I've been friends with weren't into gift giving. BUT once I told my friend I was going to get her something for Christmas and she was like, "You know I'm not going to get anything for you." I wasn't expecting anything from her, but she doesn't have to say it like that lol!

Yes, I do. I have 4. Haha.
i'm the girl you'll never want to be.

canaduh
Informer
Informer

Post by canaduh »

My friend and I talked and decided for Christmas we would exchange gifts between 40-50$ so I bought her this top that she had been eyeing for a while, and she got me a 1.50$ nicknack from the dollar store.

allpinkeverything
Informer
Informer

Post by allpinkeverything »

Broken makeup brushes from my future sister-in-law. She hates me.

khurmushka
Debater
Debater

Post by khurmushka »

sleepers which looked like dogs on 20th bday and plate which were available on coupons.

rensays
Informer
Informer

Post by rensays »

A cheap cigar of unknown origin from a roomie during those poor but good college days. Tasted like fermented lima beans and pickled dill. Couldn't get myself to get a second whiff of that stuff. But to be fair, I gave him a Evian water bottle the previous year. So touche.

sapage89
Debater
Debater

Post by sapage89 »

My grandmother always gives me clothes. Which is cool except its always like a 3XL (I'm tiny) and always see threw :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

The teacher made us pull names of a hat that we had to buy gifts for a classmate as a Christmas gift swap. I went out of my way to make sure it was a nice one and the guy who got my name gave me a banana. Needless to say the teacher was not happy at all and saw it as a form of humiliation. The teacher did end up making up for it by getting me a nice glass frame that I still use in my bedroom :D

vegasazhure
Informer
Informer

Post by vegasazhure »

My MIL gave me a giant make-up case after I caught her telling one of my husband's friends what a vain, lazy, unfit mother I was. The gift its self was lovely and useful but I never could get over the fact that it felt like she was passive-aggressively trying to indicate I had too much make-up and should toss it and start acting like a "proper" wife.

She still can't stand me, to this day. She's never given me another gift.
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night - Ginsberg

LaLocaDeLosGatos
Learner
Learner

Post by LaLocaDeLosGatos »

My grandma throughly enjoys bad gifts on purpose, so for my 8th birthday I got a mango she stole from a neighbor tree, all wrapped in gift paper with a red bow. Lovely <3

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

LaLocaDeLosGatos wrote:My grandma throughly enjoys bad gifts on purpose, so for my 8th birthday I got a mango she stole from a neighbor tree, all wrapped in gift paper with a red bow. Lovely <3
That is actually so cute and funny at the same time, I would love to have a grandma like yours :love2:

ItsRawrzz
Informer
Informer

Post by ItsRawrzz »

My nan gives the best/worst gifts. I swear she does it on purpose.

One year, I must have been 10 ir something, and she gave me some jewellery. It would have been lovely if it wasn't something she had been given a previous year. The box was obviously not new, and had tape to keep it closed. It was the most hideous faux-gold thing with a chunky stone that was a faux-version of what it was meant to be.

Another time I got a faux croc-skin pattern handbag that was bright, crimson red and a red fluffy scarf that had her perfume on.

Another time, aged 12 or younger, I got a macaw ornament... never knew why a 12 year old would want that but there you go.

There's been a few other things... mostly gifts she didn't want from previous years or car boot sales. Although the past three years she forgot me on Christmas and my birthday. Though I've never been big on either occasion, so it never bothered me. I just like the bad gifts... it's the highlight of my year XD

My dad got one of two bottles of port from my nan (his mum). The best thing was that she had taken a drink from one of them - and that was the one that she gave my dad - unintentionally, I'm sure!

Moe424
Learner
Learner

Post by Moe424 »

Okay, before I tell you guys what my gift is, I need to explain something about me. I have an aunt who hates me, and hardly takes the time out of her *busy* life to get to know me. The one thing she does know, is that I'm not part of the Christian faith, along with some other members of my family. Okay, now to start:

I had just quit the church and it was Easter. My mom had spread the news to all of my family members ( Not on purpose. :D ) that I didn't want any religious gifts for that year. ( Bad experience.) Well, my family always gives each other gift baskets it on Easter, and a lot of them were sweet and heart warming. Then I get to my aunt's gift basket. I open up the covering and- there is bible stuff! Books about the bible, a Jesus picture, I mean c'mon! :|
I hope I don't sound un=grateful or offensive to anyone, I just haven't had the best experience with this stuff.
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look pretty.

bunnybutt420
Informer
Informer

Post by bunnybutt420 »

My best friend was obsessed with the build a bear workshop that had just opened (first one ever in my country).

Now even a cynic like me knows the fun part of build a bear is MAKING the actual bear. I've given someone a gift card for the place before and they loved it. God knows why.. I'm not even a stuffed animal fan but each to their own.

So. On my 18th birthday (the birthday where I can legally drink alcohol!! A huge deal!!) my best friend made me a teddy bear in build a bear workshop.

I reiterate;
1. The fun part is MAKING the teddy, which he did for me..
2. I don't like teddy bears, I've never expressed interest in teddy bears

Oh and to add insult to injury, he put a video up on facebook of him making the teddy bear.. with my enemy. Who he knows I don't like.

FoodandFashion
Informer
Informer

Post by FoodandFashion »

In third grade we had a Secret Santa thingy (I was new, I didn't even know it was supposed to be that way) and I had a best friend who really liked makeup.

My mom and I went to Target and got her a $30 makeup set from I think L'oreal, and I wrapped it so nicely. Next thing I know, I go to school (last one to come in) and the teacher tells me to put the gift in a pile, I told her it was for somebody special and she just shrugged it off. Being the dumbass I was, I left it there.

Then, when we get to gift time, a girl I didn't like ended up getting my gift (she saw the name tag and who it was for) and coincidentally, I got her gift. It was a PUZZLE. A freaking $5 puzzle of BARBIE. I HATE BARBIE. Worst part? There really was no thought in it because it was a mandatory thing. At least the girl thanked me for it.

I told my best friend what happened and she just told me that she was grateful I noticed what she liked.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

My mother-in-law bought me rubber stamps last year because she wants me to have the same hobby as her. She also bought me a reversible neon pink and orange vest that was about 3 sizes too large a few years ago.

My Grandma went in the reverse direction in 2007 and bought me shirts that were size XS even though I wore a size L. :? This is why I stand by my opinion that people just should not buy clothing for one another. It's never a good feeling to receive clothing that's too small for you, especially when you're a teenager.

Hm, for my 16th birthday, I received a Bible with my name engraved in the cover.

When I was 9 or so, I wrapped up one of my super frilly dresses that were so popular in the early to mid-90s in a really big box. I gave it to my younger sister. I can only imagine the disappointment of opening a giant wrapped Christmas present to find a hand-me-down horribly ugly frilly dress. To her credit though, she acted very grateful.

OrganicTaquito
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by OrganicTaquito »

A used perfume.

haleyhaleyhal
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by haleyhaleyhal »

This thread has made me simultaneously laugh and feel sad

"In the oven it's not by hand"

Return to “Holidays”