Never does sponsored videos??

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Never does sponsored videos??

Post by Username »

Assuming she's telling the truth in her disclaimers in her description boxes, she's one of the few top beauty gurus that don't do sponsored videos. If that's the case, I have that much more respect for her. With the views she has (minimum 1 million views per video) -- she could easily charge at least $50,000 per sponsored video. Missglamorazzi averages 500,000 views per video and there's proof she charges $18,000 per video. http://gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=9382

It's refreshing to know Bethany isn't a sellout and her videos aren't disguised commercials like so many top beauty gurus. If I had impressionable pre-teen daughters, I wouldn't want them watching these beauty gurus except Bethany.

xMarisa23x
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Re: Never does sponsored videos??

Post by xMarisa23x »

I never knew that. I like her a bit more now, but not enough to sub to her (she's too cutesy and a goody two shoes for me).

Worldofchances2giveu
Informer
Informer

Post by Worldofchances2giveu »

that's the thing about bethany, even though she can be annoying she has never been someone who has sold out, gets into drama, has scandals, ect. even if she is doing sponsored videos(which i believe she has), they are well hidden and never seem like infomercials.

byebyebye1

Post by byebyebye1 »

She doesn't need to make sponsored videos- she earns enough by herself with views and comments to not need a company's help.

jnkgossip
Informer
Informer

Post by jnkgossip »

She has over 4,000,000 subscribers and makes more money than my parents combined. She has no need to, she's rich enough.

half_pint
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by half_pint »

yeah she doesn't need to but most gurus don't they make plenty of money but they still do sponsored videos because why not make extra money? but I do like bethany for not doing them (or not making it obvious that she is at least)

hipster
Debater
Debater

Post by hipster »

Maybe the videos are sponsored but its not shown. gift cards are a way with that. the company would give you a gift card and you shop and have a deal with the company that will not disclose the information and instead say that you bought the products because you won't be buying a product or clothing if you don't like it or isn't raving about it. I've never heard her say any moderate or bad reviews about anything. she just loooooooooves them or is obessed with them. Most gurus are like this. :HK:

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Username »

^^ Sponsored videos are paid advertisements, not simply getting the product for free.

prettylights92
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by prettylights92 »

I'm glad to see someone who actually deserves the attention and cash getting it, unlike elle and blair who are lazy and lie...

Karen_96x
Learner
Learner

Post by Karen_96x »

I think she might do some sponsored vids tbh...or at least get sent things for free..she's just smart about how she uses them/showcases it. I love her content regardless though and seems dare I say it one of the most real beauty vloggers out there..especially for her age.

exquisite
Talker
Talker

Post by exquisite »

Honestly I don't think most gurus know what "sponsorship" or "affiliated" actually mean. She's affiliated and sponsored by Aeropostale, so any video she does where she promotes them or her clothing line needs disclosure.

I like Bethany, but there is no way she's never received PR samples from companies and used them in videos. When a guru/blogger receives a free sample, they have to disclose that they were sent the item for consideration or review.

Youtube is entirely too lax with allowing gurus to get away without disclosing properly. I'm not saying that Bethany should get in trouble, just that you shouldn't take "This video isn't sponsored!!!!!" at the bottom of a description box as a free and clear that she's in no way being compensated (via direct funds or with free products).

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Username »

^^ She does receive free products, but we don't know which ones she decides to use in her videos, and I don't think she regards that as a "sponsored" video. The Aero deal is very recent and the only obvious sponsorship I've seen from her. What I respect her for is, she doesn't promote just any company just because it offers her enough money. If she does do sponsored videos, it's still a lot less frequent than other beauty gurus with way less popularity than she has.

UnicornsExist
Learner
Learner

Post by UnicornsExist »

I love her for this.

whatwut
Talker
Talker

Post by whatwut »

She probably does sponsored videos, I think she just hides it really well. All she'd have to do is mention a product in multiple videos and people would pay her to do that.

Like when she says "and now I'm using my urban decay primer potion."

I think the key to doing a sponsored video and hiding it is only using products you have tried and no are good (so viewers don't get angry), mentioning the product in multiple videos so it doesn't look like a one time thing, sandwiching the product in-between other product mentions and never making a video that solely focuses on the product itself.

Uhlizubeth
Informer
Informer

Post by Uhlizubeth »

She was a member of Ipsy when it was still myglam and made videos featuring the products that came in the bags. Doesn't that qualify as sponsored?

Anyway, I really don't care. I'm sure some of her products were sent to her for free but she's smart about which free products to show. Whitening lightening and sigma are very heavily sponsored brands that ruin credibility compared to featuring a handful of already well known brand's products like l'oreal and cover girl.

isabellax3
Debater
Debater

Post by isabellax3 »

SPONSORED means that a company paid you to review/mention the product. Getting PR samples or a gift card to a store doesn't qualify as sponsored, at least not according to the FTC standards YouTube goes by.

Return to “Macbarbie07 / Bethany Mota”