Onision

Re: Onision

Post by Guest »

(As far as I know) Onision hasn't gone public about any personality disorders or developmental disabilities he may have, so unless he goes public I can't say with absolute certainty if he has BPD... I can say though that I was raised by something with BPD, and I don't see any signs of the disorder in Onision. But again, just to make sure I'm clear, I'm not a diagnostician, and I don't know everything there is to know about BPD.

If Onision is on the spectrum, it would not surprise me. Most likely Asperger syndrome (which is technically autism but at a very high functioning level). He rarely makes eye contact with the camera, he typically seems to be staring into a void/nowhere specific. The way he tends to overpower conversations with his wife, and usually says things without much filter between his brain and his mouth. His lack of facial expressions and monotone voice are giveaways, too.

I really don't believe he is a bad person. Over the top, sure, but I do watch a lot of his videos and I find what he says a lot of the time to be very interesting and thought provoking. I get why he can offend people, but I see a lot of comments on his videos and on social media that are just "OMG I can't believe he said that!" reactions without anyone actually listening to what he said.

In some ways I think he's pretty brave to put himself out there like that and say whatever is on his mind. The downside is, he may not be able to fully comprehend how other people will perceive his words. If he's autistic, it's important to understand that the autistic brain is not wired like the average brain, so we can't always fully grasp how another person feels or how they might react. We don't do this to be malicious or to be sensational, we just can't always help it.

Just to put down a few autism myths I see rolling around here... we have empathy and emotions. It's the way we express empathy and emotions that can be difficult for us. For example, I can be angry without actually looking or sounding angry. I can see that a friend of mine is upset, but knowing what to do about it is often difficult to determine.

Miss Nothing

Post by Miss Nothing »

buttercup35 wrote:(As far as I know) Onision hasn't gone public about any personality disorders or developmental disabilities he may have, so unless he goes public I can't say with absolute certainty if he has BPD... I can say though that I was raised by something with BPD, and I don't see any signs of the disorder in Onision. But again, just to make sure I'm clear, I'm not a diagnostician, and I don't know everything there is to know about BPD.

If Onision is on the spectrum, it would not surprise me. Most likely Asperger syndrome (which is technically autism but at a very high functioning level). He rarely makes eye contact with the camera, he typically seems to be staring into a void/nowhere specific. The way he tends to overpower conversations with his wife, and usually says things without much filter between his brain and his mouth. His lack of facial expressions and monotone voice are giveaways, too.

I really don't believe he is a bad person. Over the top, sure, but I do watch a lot of his videos and I find what he says a lot of the time to be very interesting and thought provoking. I get why he can offend people, but I see a lot of comments on his videos and on social media that are just "OMG I can't believe he said that!" reactions without anyone actually listening to what he said.

In some ways I think he's pretty brave to put himself out there like that and say whatever is on his mind. The downside is, he may not be able to fully comprehend how other people will perceive his words. If he's autistic, it's important to understand that the autistic brain is not wired like the average brain, so we can't always fully grasp how another person feels or how they might react. We don't do this to be malicious or to be sensational, we just can't always help it.

Just to put down a few autism myths I see rolling around here... we have empathy and emotions. It's the way we express empathy and emotions that can be difficult for us. For example, I can be angry without actually looking or sounding angry. I can see that a friend of mine is upset, but knowing what to do about it is often difficult to determine.
I don't think you realize he wanted to chain a young girl in his basement with a humiliating sign around her neck, wanted her to get a tramp stamp tattoo saying "I'm a liar" after shaving her head, getting an orange tan, and never seeing her best friend or family again.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pastel »

Yeah, I would definitely consider Onision a bad person.
Even if he has something mental going on (which I do believe), he's still abusive as hell to both his partners and his fans. And I don't really think it's just autism. Greg is such a manipulator, and, correct me if I'm wrong about this, I think autistic people in general wouldn't be great at that? If you struggle to decode other people's reactions and feelings, you can't really manipulate them. And Greg does this all the time.

Post by Guest »

Two things... Onision did post screenshots of a conversation about the chaining in the basement thing on his twitter page, so we could all see what was really said.

It's pretty rare for someone to be co-morbid if they are autistic, so chances are it is just autism. If not, then the most common things that can pair with autism are OCD and bipolar disorder, which we can't rule out completely, because his impulsive behaviors do come through loud and clear.

Most people with autism and borderline personality disorder come across as manipulative. They way we behave is not like the average person, so we can look cold and calculating when we actually aren't. (BTW, BPD and autism can't be co-morbid either, since they are opposites in terms of behaviors and symptoms).

Remedios the Beauty
Debater
Debater

Post by Remedios the Beauty »

Never heard of this guy until now. He's nice to look at... with the volume turned off LOL

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

buttercup35 wrote:Two things... Onision did post screenshots of a conversation about the chaining in the basement thing on his twitter page, so we could all see what was really said.

It's pretty rare for someone to be co-morbid if they are autistic, so chances are it is just autism. If not, then the most common things that can pair with autism are OCD and bipolar disorder, which we can't rule out completely, because his impulsive behaviors do come through loud and clear.

Most people with autism and borderline personality disorder come across as manipulative. They way we behave is not like the average person, so we can look cold and calculating when we actually aren't. (BTW, BPD and autism can't be co-morbid either, since they are opposites in terms of behaviors and symptoms).
I'm by no means an expert on autism, so I apologize if I'm making assumptions that aren't true. Please do correct me!

I do think Greg is deliberately manipulating people, especially considering the receipts that were released during the Billie situation. He was clearly guilt-tripping her when she didn't come running back. He's also shown a pattern of putting people down and mocking them into submission, and I find it hard to see that as just a perceived coldness or something accidental. I think the pattern is important, because he seems to have a set of tools that he uses to control people.

To those of you who know more about it, could his very black-and-white perception of the world be an autistic trait? Something else? I think that's the one of Greg's 'features' that stands out to me the most as very strange. Like how everything is morally okay as long as it's legal, and anything mildly illegal is despicable. How he didn't explicitly say "thirteen-year-olds only" on the forum and there were adults as well, so therefore it was okay for kids to post underwear pics, etc.

Post by Guest »

Pastel Rage wrote:
buttercup35 wrote:Two things... Onision did post screenshots of a conversation about the chaining in the basement thing on his twitter page, so we could all see what was really said.

I'm by no means an expert on autism, so I apologize if I'm making assumptions that aren't true. Please do correct me!

I do think Greg is deliberately manipulating people, especially considering the receipts that were released during the Billie situation. He was clearly guilt-tripping her when she didn't come running back. He's also shown a pattern of putting people down and mocking them into submission, and I find it hard to see that as just a perceived coldness or something accidental. I think the pattern is important, because he seems to have a set of tools that he uses to control people.

To those of you who know more about it, could his very black-and-white perception of the world be an autistic trait? Something else? I think that's the one of Greg's 'features' that stands out to me the most as very strange. Like how everything is morally okay as long as it's legal, and anything mildly illegal is despicable. How he didn't explicitly say "thirteen-year-olds only" on the forum and there were adults as well, so therefore it was okay for kids to post underwear pics, etc.
People with autism, and people with borderline personality disorder, both lack insight and abstract thinking. Greg is a very logical person, and I hate to use the Spock argument here, but the way people with autism analyze things is usually very B&W and logical/legal. Legal things are concrete, whereas human emotions are all over the place and difficult to predict.

Autism is VERY hard to understand, because it's developmental/sensory, and not considered a personality disorder. I've lived with it my whole life and there are things I still don't understand, and I definitely don't know everything! I also haven't been watching Greg's videos as long as some folks here, so my understanding of the pattern of behavior is missing a lot of puzzle pieces.

I am very reluctant right off the bat to believe the stories from any side after a huge breakup like the Billie situation. Lainey seems to me to be having a normal reaction, and Greg is having what I would call an autistic reaction. Nothing for those two seems unusual. When it comes to Billie, I thought her "dear onision" video was a cry for attention. See, if you are dating someone and you break up with them, why title the video, "dear onision", why not "dear greg"? And why even put your personal business online like that? She seemed to me to be acting in that video, too.

I can say for sure that Greg's openness is one thing about him I don't like. I understand the need for honesty, but, some things are not meant to be shared.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

Diagnosing certain disorders or mental illnesses can even be difficult for professionals to get right. There isn't just one form of BPD. My grandmother and brother both had BPD and were vastly different in the manifestation of their symptoms, unique to their situations. My grandmother distrusted everyone, hid in the house, she would lock her kids in the house out of fear of abandonment and she would threaten to harm herself. My brother is downright violent, will engage in extreme risks and dangerous behaviour, would occasionally decide none of us could be trusted and draw a knife on us (obviously not actually going through with anything which is why it never really got to me). Both were professionally diagnosed BPD, both were very different to deal with. Both remained untreated their whole lives, which is why their behaviours were so extreme (I mean my brother is still alive, I just don't know where he is).

I would say Onision falls under Class B of personality disorders regardless (http://www.psychone.net/list-of-persona ... orders.php) I personally would sooner writer him up with an antisocial disorder than BPD but ultimately what we can all agree on is:
- Onision's behaviour is deeply dysfunctional and unhealthy
- He will damage the people around him unless he gets professional help
- Mental illnesses can manifest in a variety of ways, and whatever we see in him could be wrong or right
- We are all learning from this discussion and there is no disrespect being shown so I don't see anything wrong with discussing a possible diagnosis

Antisocial personality disorders make you prone to addiction, which explains his fixation on being against drugs... he is doing absolutely everything to stay away from them because he knows he would be hooked and gone if he did start. If he hasn't already.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

idontknow

Post by idontknow »

DaylightAmy wrote:Diagnosing certain disorders or mental illnesses can even be difficult for professionals to get right. There isn't just one form of BPD. My grandmother and brother both had BPD and were vastly different in the manifestation of their symptoms, unique to their situations. My grandmother distrusted everyone, hid in the house, she would lock her kids in the house out of fear of abandonment and she would threaten to harm herself. My brother is downright violent, will engage in extreme risks and dangerous behaviour, would occasionally decide none of us could be trusted and draw a knife on us (obviously not actually going through with anything which is why it never really got to me). Both were professionally diagnosed BPD, both were very different to deal with. Both remained untreated their whole lives, which is why their behaviours were so extreme (I mean my brother is still alive, I just don't know where he is).

I would say Onision falls under Class B of personality disorders regardless (http://www.psychone.net/list-of-persona ... orders.php) I personally would sooner writer him up with an antisocial disorder than BPD but ultimately what we can all agree on is:
- Mental illnesses can manifest in a variety of ways, and whatever we see in him could be wrong or right
- We are all learning from this discussion and there is no disrespect being shown so I don't see anything wrong with discussing a possible diagnosis

Antisocial personality disorders make you prone to addiction, which explains his fixation on being against drugs... he is doing absolutely everything to stay away from them because he knows he would be hooked and gone if he did start. If he hasn't already.
Just recently learned about Antisocial Disorder in my health class because it sounded like my ex and the traits my textbook gave were: long-term pattern of manipulation and taking advantage of others, disregard for the safety of others and lack of remorse, anger, and arrogance. Men with antisocial far outnumber women with it, and it's one of the hardest personality traits to treat.

I'd agree that it sounds like Antisocial as well.

Post by Guest »

DaylightAmy wrote:Diagnosing certain disorders or mental illnesses can even be difficult for professionals to get right. There isn't just one form of BPD. My grandmother and brother both had BPD and were vastly different in the manifestation of their symptoms, unique to their situations. My grandmother distrusted everyone, hid in the house, she would lock her kids in the house out of fear of abandonment and she would threaten to harm herself. My brother is downright violent, will engage in extreme risks and dangerous behaviour, would occasionally decide none of us could be trusted and draw a knife on us (obviously not actually going through with anything which is why it never really got to me). Both were professionally diagnosed BPD, both were very different to deal with. Both remained untreated their whole lives, which is why their behaviours were so extreme (I mean my brother is still alive, I just don't know where he is).

Everything you mentioned is a possibility. We're not professionals so it's really hard to tell. I do think ASPD is a bit of a stretch, but, we can't totally rule it out. I will say though that people with ASPD take all kinds of risks without worrying about what could happen to them because the reward is 100% worth it in their mind. His anti-drug behavior could be him trying to keep us from thinking he's an addict, rather than trying to prevent himself from being an addict.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

The anti-drug thing could also just be him being against drugs. He's not the first person to be against smoking of all kinds just from some weird personal sense of morality, so I'm not sure it's necessarily about him being an addict or worrying about becoming one. Although that is totally possible as well.

ASPD sounds like a possibility to me as well, and of course it's difficult to actually reach a conclusion because the stuff we know is obviously not everything there is to know about Greg. It's all based on little bits and pieces, but I do think his behaviour seems consistent enough for us to be able to make educated guesses.

He also seems to fit at least some criteria for narcissistic personality disorder: "Individuals with this disorder have a false sense of entitlement and little respect for other people's feelings. They are oversensitive to criticism and often blame others for their failures."

ParisianDoll
Informer
Informer

Post by ParisianDoll »

Aw jeebus, ya'll, the armchair stuff is getting out of hand, and from what I understand against GG rules, just sayin'. I think we can all come to terms with the fact that he's all around a pretty awful dude as far as the treatment of the people around him. I wanna talk about the sheer amount of questionable things with teenagers that have happened to/with/involving him AND his spouse recently, it is super worrisome to me that more than one TEEN being involved in these 20/30-something year old peoples' lives is becoming a scary pattern.

OhReallyNow
Informer
Informer

Post by OhReallyNow »

Please keep in mind that no one here is the doctor of the YTer. Please keep the board rules in mind and refrain from diagnosing or offering suggestions for medical or mental diagnoses.

*Edited to add* I have deleted SEVERAL diagnosis posts, but obviously there are more and there are some skirting really close to playing doctor. While I understand it may be easy to discuss a YTer's mental status and well-being, as it obviously plays a HUGE role in their behavior and content, please refrain from trying to guess or diagnose. It's okay to say "Onision was manipulative to X, Y, and Z people." or "Onision is irrational/unstable/impulsive." but that's as far as it goes. As a reminder "You are not the personal doctor to anyone here, and thus should not suggest what anyone has, be it a member or the YouTuber" (board rules).

I'll be keeping an eye on comments after this, so please let this serve as the general warning to SEVERAL of you that violated board rules. Some of you even admitted to knowing you shouldn't diagnose a YTer, yet did it anyway. Help me out, please! Thank you! <3 :tu:

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

I had no idea that was a rule of the forum - I've simply over the years heard people say "I know I shouldn't diagnose" (not just here, on other forums as well) and figured it was just general etiquette (I grew up around mental illness so I just figured I missed the memo on what's socially acceptable) not that it was a rule on this forum that I could get banned for. Noted.

Onision has just been doing the same thing for a decade now, and there are always minors involved - rinse and repeat. We'll just have to wait for him to break the law for it to stop.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

ParisianDoll
Informer
Informer

Post by ParisianDoll »

DaylightAmy wrote: Onision has just been doing the same thing for a decade now, and there are always minors involved - rinse and repeat. We'll just have to wait for him to break the law for it to stop.
Gah, that idea squicks me out. I don't even watch his channel, I caught wind of the drama elsewhere and have used the internet to bring me up to speed. But the most recent grossness with Billie compounded with the fact that they have a little teen (and two kids of their own) locked up in that house seriously activates my mommy complex.

Like, "oh, Sarah comes from a seriously abusive household, we're rescuing her!" and then the 180 to "you guys were too curious about our relationship with this sixteen year old that could possibly be illegal, so we're kicking her out, possibly back into an abusive situation." That's neat of you, guys. WHAT adult on this planet would take a teenager into their home after long term documented online flirting (which is problematic on its own)? Gross. They're both gross. I think his wife picked it up from being around him for so long.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

OhReallyNow wrote:Please keep in mind that no one here is the doctor of the YTer. Please keep the board rules in mind and refrain from diagnosing or offering suggestions for medical or mental diagnoses.

*Edited to add* I have deleted SEVERAL diagnosis posts, but obviously there are more and there are some skirting really close to playing doctor. While I understand it may be easy to discuss a YTer's mental status and well-being, as it obviously plays a HUGE role in their behavior and content, please refrain from trying to guess or diagnose. It's okay to say "Onision was manipulative to X, Y, and Z people." or "Onision is irrational/unstable/impulsive." but that's as far as it goes. As a reminder "You are not the personal doctor to anyone here, and thus should not suggest what anyone has, be it a member or the YouTuber" (board rules).

I'll be keeping an eye on comments after this, so please let this serve as the general warning to SEVERAL of you that violated board rules. Some of you even admitted to knowing you shouldn't diagnose a YTer, yet did it anyway. Help me out, please! Thank you! <3 :tu:
Sorry, definitely won't do that again!

Did anyone here watch his latest videos? I never do, but I kinda caught that there's some drama going on with Sarah. What happened, do we know?

idontknow

Post by idontknow »

I guess people were calling the police and CPS because Sarah lives with them. Lainey also had this friend, Lane, who she's not friends with anymore and Sarah ended up getting in a huge fight with her and it made Greg and Lainey really uncomfortable because none of them were supposed to be talking to her I think. So, they ended up just sending her home because they're over the drama revolving around the situation.

Also, Sarah did a YouNow stream before she left and it was like 2 hours long so obviously I didn't watch it, but at one point Billie came on and told Sarah to stay positive or something like that, and then a couple of minutes later Greg came barging in and told Sarah that Lainey is crying and that she needs to block Billie right now and he forced her to block her. Sarah looked seriously so uncomfortable throughout the entire thing.

Duchess
Learner
Learner

Post by Duchess »

just FYI, you can easily catch up on all the drama at the onisiondrama tumblr. onion boy's life is like a soap opera so it's a good place to get caught up on the essentials lol.

the sarah situation is ridiculous. lainey actually received temporary custody of sarah, and sarah was living with them while attending online school. i don't understand why sarah's mother would willingly sign over parental rights to a woman halfway across the country, but that's shitty parenting for you. because of the "internet" (yes, well done blaming everyone, sarah) skepticism surrounding the situation, lainey and greg have sent sarah home. apparently sarah's home is abusive so i don't know why these self-proclaimed keyboard activists are putting her back into that situation. also if the custody is legal they should have nothing to worry about. it makes no sense and they refuse to elaborate, instead blaming "the internet" for this situation, as usual. lainey and greg are as bad as each other.

Post by Guest »

idontknow wrote:I guess people were calling the police and CPS because Sarah lives with them. Lainey also had this friend, Lane, who she's not friends with anymore and Sarah ended up getting in a huge fight with her and it made Greg and Lainey really uncomfortable because none of them were supposed to be talking to her I think. So, they ended up just sending her home because they're over the drama revolving around the situation.

Also, Sarah did a YouNow stream before she left and it was like 2 hours long so obviously I didn't watch it, but at one point Billie came on and told Sarah to stay positive or something like that, and then a couple of minutes later Greg came barging in and told Sarah that Lainey is crying and that she needs to block Billie right now and he forced her to block her. Sarah looked seriously so uncomfortable throughout the entire thing.
That's sounds like classic Greg. Not thinking beforehand, just acting and not even understanding why he shouldn't do that.

Earthhead
Talker
Talker

Post by Earthhead »

Kind of of topic but i wasn't saying Greg had anything i was just curious what people thought
Its not like i said "Greg definitely has such and such wrong with him" I was not diagnosing him lmao was just wondering what people thought. People are allowed to have opinions without crossing the line to diagnosing them with something, so maybe don't be so uptight about it, unless they state that their opinion as fact.

Anyway - the Sarah situation has always been weird to me. If you go back to Sarah's old tweets, you'll see she has a history of being weirdly inappropriate with Lainey, I don't know if they have been deleted now but it was things like the kiss emoji and the winky face emoji with weird things like Sarah re-tweeting Laineys tweet saying shes cute and looking for a girlfriend ;) (Sarah not lainey). Sarah must have been around the age of 14 at the time and lainey about 20... so fucking weird to me. I know everyone is quick to defend Lainey but i think she is as fucked up and weird as Greg. Why is a 31 year old and a 22 year old friends with a 16 year old girl anyway........
I don't like Lainey.. to me, her and Gregs behaviour comes across borderline paedophilic - I know that's a strong term to use, but in my OPINION with gregs history of dating younger girls and Lainey's inappropriate tweets to Sarah (what normal 22 year old woman wants to befriend a 16 year old girl, honestly?) it just makes me feel weird and so uncomfortable. Obviously Sarah is young and she doesn't understand that anything weird is going on because she is naive. I cant be the only one who find it incredibly weird? just an FYI, NOT diagnosing anyone with anything in this post lmao, just simply exercising my right to have an opinion and the freedom of speech! Thanks!!!

Return to “Onision”