annoying things gurus do / annoying behaviors

kuchikopi
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: annoying things gurus do / annoying behaviors

Post by kuchikopi »

Zoo61 wrote:not really related to gurus but i am noticing a trend of youtubers using stupid over-reaction type faces for their thumbnails.

i noticed that it used to just be bunny aka grav3yardgirl who did this but now everyone is doing it.

today i logged into youtube and saw this on my front page.

Ugh, I hate those thumbnails so much. It's so try-hard quirky. Do a quick search on youtube, "disappointing makeup products," and see how quickly it'll piss you off.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

You know what I'm sick of?

I'm sick of BIG beauty channels - and I do mean BIG ones - doing "giveaways to say thank you to all my wonderful subs <3" and then basically you have to enter by promoting their channel and they deliberately start tagging GIVEAWAY on ALL their social media to attract new people.

Just SAY it then: I'm doing a giveaway to get more subscribers. Just be honest.

I'm so sick of it honestly. Like I LOVE Bunny (graveyardgirl) but her latest giveaway she goes on and on about how it's "for her swamp family who have always supported her", and she then goes on to let you enter by trying to generate more traffic to her video and channel (by sharing links, following her on social media, etc etc etc).

I'm sorry, if you REALLY wanted your prizes to go to the people who have been watching you all along, you wouldn't even put "Giveaway" in the title (which is something people specifically search on) - you would just make a thank you video and include it.

Sick of these gurus acting like they are saints for doing giveaways only to be FAKE about the reason why.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

cheezecake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by cheezecake »

DaylightAmy wrote:You know what I'm sick of?

I'm sick of BIG beauty channels - and I do mean BIG ones - doing "giveaways to say thank you to all my wonderful subs <3" and then basically you have to enter by promoting their channel and they deliberately start tagging GIVEAWAY on ALL their social media to attract new people.

I'm so sick of it honestly. Like I LOVE Bunny (graveyardgirl) but her latest giveaway she goes on and on about how it's "for her swamp family who have always supported her", and she then goes on to let you enter by trying to generate more traffic to her video and channel (by sharing links, following her on social media, etc etc etc).

I'm sorry, if you REALLY wanted your prizes to go to the people who have been watching you all along, you wouldn't even put "Giveaway" in the title (which is something people specifically search on) - you would just make a thank you video and include it.

Sick of these gurus acting like they are saints for doing giveaways only to be FAKE about the reason why.
True! If they really wanted to do giveaways for the "family" only, then heck, you know these hardcore people who always comment on your videos? Pick one up and send something to them!

bunzz
Stalker
Stalker

Post by bunzz »

- When they say "just pounce it into your skin" (the foundation and beauty blender routine). I hate the work pounce...is it even a word?

- when they say now we're just going to blend OUR crease....its not our crease, its YOUR crease

- when they plug their own brand

- when they insert clips of their S/O giving them a kiss...im not here to watch your PDA. i get it, you have a bf, good for you

futchygirl
Lurker
Lurker

Post by futchygirl »

One of my biggest pet peeves is when Youtubers diagnose themselves with having "mental issues" the biggest one being social anxiety. Some of them may actually have it. Kathleen has literally cried on camera about it several times and she missed alot of opportunities because of it. However I think most of them get feeling nervous or anxious (which is a normal human feeling) confused with having anxiety. Just because you feel anxious doesn't mean you have anxiety. It's like the cool thing to do now is proclaim that you're so awkward and uncomfortable around people. I get that sometimes you're shy and feel uncomfortable around people but stop making a big deal out of it like you're so special and you're one of the few people alive who feel like this. No it's a normal human feeling. (I hope this isn't breaking the rules by posting this since it mentioned mental issues)

futchygirl
Lurker
Lurker

Post by futchygirl »

tamithomas wrote:
MissCupcakeGirl wrote: - No beauty guru has actually taught me how to do makeup and treat skin properly etc. All they do now is show off the latest iPhone, their latest clothes, their bedrooms and how rich they are.. What is the point of being a beauty guru if you can't teach me anything?
You should check out Lisa Eldridge. She never does tags or any of that bs, she straight up teaches makeup because it's her real job outside of youtube or skin care, she's the only qualified guru out of the whole community who's a real MUA for red carpets.

You should also check out Monika Blunder because she always does red carpet makeup. They both are great.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

_futch wrote:One of my biggest pet peeves is when Youtubers diagnose themselves with having "mental issues" the biggest one being social anxiety. Some of them may actually have it. Kathleen has literally cried on camera about it several times and she missed alot of opportunities because of it. However I think most of them get feeling nervous or anxious (which is a normal human feeling) confused with having anxiety. Just because you feel anxious doesn't mean you have anxiety. It's like the cool thing to do now is proclaim that you're so awkward and uncomfortable around people. I get that sometimes you're shy and feel uncomfortable around people but stop making a big deal out of it like you're so special and you're one of the few people alive who feel like this. No it's a normal human feeling. (I hope this isn't breaking the rules by posting this since it mentioned mental issues)
YES!

In my opinion the ONLY right way to discuss mental illness like that is to:
(A) Have a proper, professionally evaluated diagnosis
(B) Have already had treatment, possibly a wider range, and at least with some results

Because that is the ONLY WAY your contribution is going to help people. Just saying "I have anxiety, these are all my problems"... at face value people may think it helps others to relate or feel less alone... but what is that good for if you are not properly diagnosed (it might be something else, or a few things simultaneously!) and are not getting treatment?

The ONLY way you sharing your mental illness story can help others, is if you make getting diagnosed and getting help feel more accessible, less scary and more fruitful. And I mean PROPERLY diagnosed and treated. Not self-diagnosed, found 1 doctor who could get behind it and got 1 treatment that didn't really help much and then just complain about it. There is so much more to treatment than medication or a service dog (therapy, group therapy, cognitive therapy, trying different medications, the list goes on) - and by just complaining about the illness and not going through all those options and ending up with some helpful feedback, you make others who are undiagnosed feel like there is no point in getting help.

futchygirl
Lurker
Lurker

Post by futchygirl »

TIP OF THE NOSE HIGHLIGHT HAS GOT TO GO!!!! It's fine if you do a light highlight down the bridge of the nose. Keyword LIGHT highlight. However I do not need to be blinded by your nose.

futchygirl
Lurker
Lurker

Post by futchygirl »

Kizz wrote:"Guys i don't have to tell you when a video is sponsored but i do because I love you all"

"i never recommend anything i don't use myself"

beauty favourites videos "i LOOOOVE this, I've been using it all month" really bitch? that product is full

Whoever says they don't have to tell us when a video is sponsored are little liars. They don't have to verbally say it but they HAVE to put it in the description box. It's against Youtube rules and probably against the law.

futchygirl
Lurker
Lurker

Post by futchygirl »

THIS!!! Recently there was a big controversy with Jaclyn Hill's most recent giveaway and her requirements. Her requirements were for you to tag 5 friends on her giveaway post. 5 friends is honestly a lot considering I probably only have 3 or 4 to tag and I know some only have maybe 1 or even none. Since her tag number was kinda high people started to complain that she isn't doing the giveaway for her loyal viewers but to only broadcast her page and receive more viewers. I think she did a snapchat swearing up and down that she only did the giveaway because she loves us so much and it was in no way intended to get more followers. She just wanted to do something nice for us because she adores us so much and without us she wouldn't be here and blah blah blah. So why in the hell do people have to tag 5 people just to enter?? No the rules are not hard at all, but just be honest because that is a bold faced lie. She must think her followers are a bunch of morons to not realize that tagging 5 people is intended to get her more followers. If it was just for her followers then all you would have to do is be following her on instagram.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

_futch wrote:

THIS!!! Recently there was a big controversy with Jaclyn Hill's most recent giveaway and her requirements. Her requirements were for you to tag 5 friends on her giveaway post. 5 friends is honestly a lot considering I probably only have 3 or 4 to tag and I know some only have maybe 1 or even none. Since her tag number was kinda high people started to complain that she isn't doing the giveaway for her loyal viewers but to only broadcast her page and receive more viewers. I think she did a snapchat swearing up and down that she only did the giveaway because she loves us so much and it was in no way intended to get more followers. She just wanted to do something nice for us because she adores us so much and without us she wouldn't be here and blah blah blah. So why in the hell do people have to tag 5 people just to enter?? No the rules are not hard at all, but just be honest because that is a bold faced lie. She must think her followers are a bunch of morons to not realize that tagging 5 people is intended to get her more followers. If it was just for her followers then all you would have to do is be following her on instagram.
Yep, exactly that!

I had the same thing with Stephanie Lange (an Australian beauty guru) who I just absolutely LOVE and I don't at all question her character or motives, but she was doing a giveaway of products that she didn't want anymore because she's emigrating... and the only way to enter was to tag 3 people in the comments on Instagram. Now she NEVER said it was "because she loves us so much and wants to thank us", she said from moment one it was just stuff she needed to get rid of, basically, so I don't blame her for it... but it's still annoying. Sorry, I'm not going to tag my friends in a comment for a contest, that's just never going to happen. That's like spamming your friends with Clash of Clans invites on Facebook. Nope. I was really disappointed regardless that I had to promote her to people I already knew wouldn't be interested just to be able to enter.

I'm getting really sick of the hypocrisy regarding this and I'm annoyed that no other fans have the backbone to call these gurus out. To just be like "why are you trying to generate more traffic to this giveaway, I have supported you for years and now probably someone who just came here for free stuff is going to win" - why is that so taboo to say? YouTube is their job, we are technically the customer, we're allowed to say we don't like how something works without it immediately being some kind of personal attack.

If any of these gurus actually wanted their fans, their ACTUAL fans, to get the prizes, they would NOT try to generate traffic to their channels for giveaways. But the truth is they see it as an opportunity to grow the channel... which again is fair enough if you're honest. But then don't act like you're Mother Theresa for giving away stuff that YOU probably got for free to people you KNOW are probably not your fans.

hellyeah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by hellyeah »

DaylightAmy wrote:
_futch wrote:

Yep, exactly that!

I had the same thing with Stephanie Lange (an Australian beauty guru) who I just absolutely LOVE and I don't at all question her character or motives, but she was doing a giveaway of products that she didn't want anymore because she's emigrating... and the only way to enter was to tag 3 people in the comments on Instagram. Now she NEVER said it was "because she loves us so much and wants to thank us", she said from moment one it was just stuff she needed to get rid of, basically, so I don't blame her for it... but it's still annoying. Sorry, I'm not going to tag my friends in a comment for a contest, that's just never going to happen. That's like spamming your friends with Clash of Clans invites on Facebook. Nope. I was really disappointed regardless that I had to promote her to people I already knew wouldn't be interested just to be able to enter.

I'm getting really sick of the hypocrisy regarding this and I'm annoyed that no other fans have the backbone to call these gurus out. To just be like "why are you trying to generate more traffic to this giveaway, I have supported you for years and now probably someone who just came here for free stuff is going to win" - why is that so taboo to say? YouTube is their job, we are technically the customer, we're allowed to say we don't like how something works without it immediately being some kind of personal attack.

If any of these gurus actually wanted their fans, their ACTUAL fans, to get the prizes, they would NOT try to generate traffic to their channels for giveaways. But the truth is they see it as an opportunity to grow the channel... which again is fair enough if you're honest. But then don't act like you're Mother Theresa for giving away stuff that YOU probably got for free to people you KNOW are probably not your fans.

It's taboo because then they block your ass for speaking up. Or their groupies come and attack you for questioning the guru's motives. There is a guru I hate watch, I use to really like her but now she's such a scammer, and she did a huge giveaway. Of course you had to meet all these requirements. It was just stupid. Then she wouldn't announce the winner's name even after she supposedly mailed the package. Another guru I watch whom I do like did a give away and the only requirement, be subbed to her channel. You didn't have to go follow her on all her SM pages, sub to all 20 of her channels, etc.

Jaclyn Hill doesn't "need" more subs. She's doing fine with the amount she has. I read about that controversial give away on here. And stupid Karina Kaboom troll made a video about it as well.

Yes!!!! - to the stupid nose highlight. When they highlight the tip I think "Christmas elf". It just looks plain stupid. Do y'all see anyone in real life doing these weird trends? I never do.

Yes!!! - to the mental illness thing. I've suffered from anxiety and depression. But I was actually diagnosed, went to counseling, and was on a med. I think some of these people want to have something wrong with them. Do some of them? I wouldn't doubt it. Some don't have a real life outside of YouTube.

wild4thenight
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by wild4thenight »

hellyeah wrote: Yes!!! - to the mental illness thing. I've suffered from anxiety and depression. But I was actually diagnosed, went to counseling, and was on a med. I think some of these people want to have something wrong with them. Do some of them? I wouldn't doubt it. Some don't have a real life outside of YouTube.
same... i have suffered badly and find it odd that it is almost 'cool' to have social anxiety and depression. it's horrible and debilitating.

Freckhles
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Freckhles »

I hate when gurus ramble on and on and ON about things we don't care about instead of getting to the point.

I don't care that you bumped into your ex-boyfriend at Starbucks and you're thinking about getting back together with him even though he cheated on you if the video is supposed to be a room tour.

Kyratelling46
Learner
Learner

Post by Kyratelling46 »

- Chipped nail polish
- I just can't do slow talkers, just get to the point!
- Monotonous voices
- 20 minute long vlogs (Alfie/Zoella) half of which could have been cut out
- This will sound weird but, having a fabric back drop that they sit way too close to and constantly knock into it
- Only replying to negative comments

Shinnosehighlight
Learner
Learner

Post by Shinnosehighlight »

"Vegan" beauty gurus that still use MAC.,cover girl, wearing leather/uggs
Everyone becoming a minimalist and talking about Marie Kondo or whatever her name is and flipping out about have colorful clothes/ furniture, family pictures, books,food in the fridge/ pantry,more than 3 outfits,owning CD/dvd,more than 5 makeup items and 3 makeup brushes.
All white rooms/furniture ,tapestry for a headboard ,clothes rack,crystal's, crosbys,milk and honey on their dresser

NotWithoutMyTRex
Informer
Informer

Post by NotWithoutMyTRex »

I find it amusing how some gurus get their panties in a knot the minute someone asks them if a video is sponsored. There's no such thing as "gifts" when you're on the regular receiving products from brands that you then go on and feature on your channel. You're being bought, dumbass, which is exactly what sponsorship/compensation is all about.

Seriously, I wish YouTubers would be up front about it all and nip the inquiries in the bud. They could say something like, "Guys, [brand] sent me about $XXX of [product] to try and because I had a good/bad/indifferent experience with [whatever] overall, and because my channel always needs new content, I wanted to talk to you about [it/them]. I'm not receiving any further compensation to make this video and nor do I have to make this video. I'm also fully declaring this shit to the IRS because that's the law."

Boom, done.

Shady is as shady does. Saying something is not sponsored when you're getting gift cards or whatever on the down low is incredibly unethical.

Tahsin101
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Tahsin101 »

I just dont like it when just because theyre known on youtube, they think theyre "famous"

iridescentdream
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by iridescentdream »

futchygirl wrote:One of my biggest pet peeves is when Youtubers diagnose themselves with having "mental issues" the biggest one being social anxiety. Some of them may actually have it. Kathleen has literally cried on camera about it several times and she missed alot of opportunities because of it. However I think most of them get feeling nervous or anxious (which is a normal human feeling) confused with having anxiety. Just because you feel anxious doesn't mean you have anxiety. It's like the cool thing to do now is proclaim that you're so awkward and uncomfortable around people. I get that sometimes you're shy and feel uncomfortable around people but stop making a big deal out of it like you're so special and you're one of the few people alive who feel like this. No it's a normal human feeling. (I hope this isn't breaking the rules by posting this since it mentioned mental issues)
I found this site last week, but decided to make an account just to reply to this. I agree! It makes me so mad and sad at the same time. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, put on medication, and put through several different therapies and programs. Social anxiety is something I suffer with the most, and it's debilitating. To hear YouTubers say they have social anxiety when they obviously don't just makes others think that social anxiety isn't an issue that should be taken seriously. There's a difference between having anxiety sometimes and actually suffering from an anxiety disorder... It's just so frustrating to watch!

seeschanelskies
Talker
Talker

Post by seeschanelskies »

This has sort of been a slow-burn annoyance for me, and it seemed to have escalated in the last week or so : emojis in thumbnails. I hate it. It looks messy, immature, and just plain ugly. It's a surefire way for me not to watch a video.

Return to “Beauty Guru General Discussion”