Fan Fiction

gr4pefruits
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Fan Fiction

Post by gr4pefruits »

How do we feel about fan fiction?

I love it. I've read (and written) my fair share of fanfic for the past ten years. It's mostly Harry Potter-related but I do dabble in other fandoms (Game of Thrones/ASOIAF, Hunger Games, Mortal Instruments, Kick-Ass, X-Files, etc).

I know there's this negative connotation surrounding fanfic, but it really isn't all that bad.

theroyalwe
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fan Fiction

Post by theroyalwe »

Used to be obsessed with Harry Potter fanfiction (mostly post DH and Romione). I don't get the bad hype around real-life people fanfiction either, but in my opinion, they become fictional characters in a way, say youtubers. You only see the persona they put on for their video, that's not who they really are in real life, so you're kinda making them a fictional character, adding your traits to them that you think they might have (if that makes any sense). But I cannot stand bad fanfiction, literally the worst. Bad characterization, OOC, bad writing, just ugh.
we get tears over beers once again

dazzle
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by dazzle »

I love well written fanfiction, but real person slash is absolutely horrible.
I'd rather drink a cup of acid after chewing on a razor blade.

gr4pefruits
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by gr4pefruits »

Real person fanfiction is awkward. I agree.

ItsRawrzz
Informer
Informer

Post by ItsRawrzz »

I find it really hard to read new fanfiction, mostly because with all the real gems that exist -- there are some horrific examples too. I tend to keep to the same authors, and follow their recommendations if nothing else. I mostly read Naruto fanfiction... and unfortunately so many of the characters (canon) get completely ruined by sloppy writing. And the OCs and plots can be very hit-or-miss as well. I did read one which was The Big Bang Theory, and that was splendidly done. It was just a shame they hadn't finished -- I wanted to read the next chapters!

EZXIII
Talker
Talker

Post by EZXIII »

I've read fanfiction for about 9 years, but stopped recently because I could never find good ones anymore/good ones were never long enough/never updated frequently/became abandoned, which killed it for me. I was strictly HP for about 8 years, but sometimes went into Glee and Degrassi.

gr4pefruits
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by gr4pefruits »

These are my favourite HP fan fiction writers:

AkashaTheKitty (great dialogue)
RZZMG (very descriptive, without coming off as boring)
Craft Rose (almost poetic with her writing style)

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

I do not mind fanfics at all. Some of them are really well written. Also, even if some of them are based on real people... it is only the name and the looks. I do not mind that at all. It is easier to write in that way. People have fantasy and if they express it in that way... that is okay to me.
I personally do not follow the looks they give me. I follow description what story gives me, not the name.

Also, I find it more okay young people write about their fantasy and stay home, rather than make these stories come to life.

I like to write, I didn't write fanfics when I was younger but still. And thanks to that, at age 13-16 I was at home, reading and writing, while other girls who were at my age had their first bf and parties and got into trouble.
ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE. Sorry for misunderstandings!

People should read everything, not the first 5 words and judge!

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I write fanfiction and I read some. I'm not one of those girls that think it's real and that it should happen. I see girls like that and they scare me.

A lot.

Like to the point where I've lost 3 friends because they were pissed life wasn't going the way they wrote about it.

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

Yeah, there are definitely some crazies...

I don't have anything against it, it's not entirely my thing (especially the real people stuff - it just makes me cringe) but I can totally understand the appeal. I can probably see myself getting into fanfic that sort of "continues" a story I've finished that I really loved, as long as it's written really well and mimics the original (otherwise it just won't feel real to me), but the fact that the sites are so overwhelmingly dominated with love-stuff or slash just puts me off. It's a shame that that's all it seems to be these days, from an outsider's point of view.

thelizzyukz
Talker
Talker

Post by thelizzyukz »

I actually prefer fanfiction written about real people than fictional characters i don't know why I guess in a way it seems more real not that I would hunt down anyone to be honest if you do that in real life you're crazy. I do like fanfictions that don't just focus on love but also focus on real life situations but not the stupid stuff like got into a car crash again in a coma/concution (sp?) for 3 months while the bf just stays in the hospital room every single moment of every single day and such. I also write a bit of fanfiction but not as much as I used to I usually use wattpad do you guys or do you use another site to post/read fanfiction?

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I do it on YouTube, which consists of me posting a video and either putting it in the description box or using pictures in the video to show it and adding text. I do read on FanFiction but I try not to read on WattPad. I don't know why, I just don't like the format. I also hate how you can't highlight on either site now, I like to highlight while I read.

I agree, I like the stuff outside the typical lovey dovey crap (though I do write a few lovey dovey stories lol, just not all of them are). I'm the one that doesn't mind when one of the main characters gets killed off or a fave couple breaks up, it makes it interesting.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

I read Twilight fanfiction before I even read the Twilight books. Most of the FF I read was FAR superior to the trilogy itself, so I really enjoyed those. I haven't found any good stories in several years though.

I read some Harry Potter fanfiction from time to time if I can find good ones. Those are even harder to find than good Twilight FFs. It just seems like everything nowadays is written by 11 year olds and it's glaringly obvious.

gr4pefruits
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by gr4pefruits »

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9775324/1/Sleeping-Beauty

This one is good. It's not finished, but the writer updates her stories pretty quick. Its HP fanfiction.

Return to “Literature”