Hairmergency

tinatat
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hairmergency

Post by tinatat »

My first thought upon reading the title was that I would be so fired if I was doing my hair AT my desk.

an0n
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by an0n »

Something like Blairs ridiculous high pony tail or a top knot would have been much more appropriate for what was really a shine spray challenge to advertise Pantene. I thought she'd be good at advertising by now.

lovesabliss wrote:What's up with the name of the video. There was absolutely no need to combine those two words, she only left out ONE LETTER.
Just to be fair she didn't come up with that, it's Pantene's name for their challenges. I know sccastaneda has done one too and I imagine they have other gurus as well.

al218
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by al218 »

This is a woman who started collecting $6,000 handbags around the age of 23. Ya know, when you get used to that lifestyle...I hope she knows what she's doing business wise. People in hit Broadway shows are told right away, "Save your money". The show doesn't last forever.

sourcherry
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sourcherry »

The only thing I have put to use/learnt from any beauty guru video is when Blair did some hairstyle video and she showed how to plait your hair and have it stay without using a hair tie by not separating the sections when they tangle and then flipping the hair through the plait where the tangled bit and the started bit meet. This has nothing to do with this video however I just remembered and felt the need to share.

Arielle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arielle »

lovesabliss wrote:What's up with the name of the video. There was absolutely no need to combine those two words, she only left out ONE LETTER.
That wasn't an Elle thing, Pantene came up with that.

I think she should have done something like a top knot, or a sleek high ponytail. I think that's probably what Pantene was getting at with sending her those items.
sourcherry wrote:The only thing I have put to use/learnt from any beauty guru video is when Blair did some hairstyle video and she showed how to plait your hair and have it stay without using a hair tie by not separating the sections when they tangle and then flipping the hair through the plait where the tangled bit and the started bit meet. This has nothing to do with this video however I just remembered and felt the need to share.
haha! That's the only hair thing I've really learned from them too! I do that all the time if my hair is bugging me and I don't have a hair tie :)

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Username »

Sweetheart08 wrote:Such a fail. She's basically ruining her Youtube career by always posting crap like this.
Maybe she knows it's coming to end soon anyway. She'll be in her 30s only 5 years from now. That's too old to appeal to her mostly teen/pre-teen audience. I said this before and I'll say it again: most of these beauty gurus' youtube careers will end when they lose the very thing that made them popular: their teen appeal. Once they lose that, they're done.

baconpancakes
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by baconpancakes »

I refuse to put myself thru the frustration of watching that video. I KNEW she was going to hold off until it was time for another Pantene video. None of us should be angry or shocked, she basically gave everyone a warning.

I'm surprised the product was a smoothing/shine spray bc that braid is neither smooth nor shiny. If ppl want cute/creative/simple/complex hair tutorials, go watch CuteGirlsHairstyles. They know what they're doing.

If she did helpful videos that were relevant and "demographically neutral" (idk if I just made that up or not) she wouldn't have to worry about her career ending. There are lots of single professional women out there with good paying jobs & disposable income who watch tutorials and want advice. I doubt they'll be wearing boho hippy braids to the office :? They won't watch Elle bc she can't teach them anything.

baconpancakes
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by baconpancakes »

blameitonthealtitude wrote:She's being very passive-aggressive in the comments. She responded to one comment about how they miss the old Elle by saying how "old Elle made videos on a macbook. I just can't win!"

Bitch please.
I really feel deep down that she's a narcissist. Saying "I can never win" is classic narcspeak. If you're "winning" then who is losing? They can't take criticism or let things slide. It's a major psycho trip & if you read a bit about it then you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the double post & psychobabble. Also, I agree w the above. They prob contact tons of gurus and Elle was the only one thirsty enough to do it lol

lipsticklushiousGG
Informer
Informer

Post by lipsticklushiousGG »

HoardganizedJen wrote:
clairebear wrote:You know the Pantene contract she signed is paying her a ton of money, why would she care about doing quality youtube videos? Both Elle and Blair do videos for money, when they get money somewhere else or their quota for the month they could care less.

LOL that she "works" from home. It's a good thing her subscirbers are mostly pre-teen idiots, nice one Elle.
I don't really understand Pantene's (plus Elle and Blair's other sponsors) PR team. How are they choosing their gurus? Surely it can't be by who gets the most views/subscribers or who is the "hot" guru at the moment because Elle and Blair (and scanesta or whatever her name is) are washed up... If I worked for Pantene, I'd send the product to whoever would reach the most potential customers. What a joke!
I am convinced that Elle's lack of videos is part of her PR strategy. Pantene doesn't really care about whether or not you like this video Elle made, they care about video views, which translates to top-of-mind awareness for their brand. So the longer Elle was silent on YT, the more page views her pathetic video would get because anticipation was building.

fossilfinger
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by fossilfinger »

If Elle is really doing lots of knitting and baking at home, and not filming it, she is missing out on easy money. Lots of people love to see crafts and baking on YouTube, but she can't be bothered. It would also help viewers feel closer and more connected to her by seeing some of her day-to-day life. I just don't understand why she doesn't do videos about that kind of stuff.

hambo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by hambo »

Many successful Youtubers don't take on many sponsorships or none at all, but rather earn most/all their money through AdSense. I think this is a much better way to go about Youtube because you can still earn a shit load of money, but you don't piss off your viewers. I feel the Fowler sisters think they will earn more through all these sponsorships, but in reality I think if they just worked on their channels to keep their sub numbers growing and viewership up they can earn the same amount or much more.. I guess they are just too greedy to consider anything other than short term payoffs.. ka-ching.

emmygues
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by emmygues »

lipsticklushiousGG wrote:I am convinced that Elle's lack of videos is part of her PR strategy. Pantene doesn't really care about whether or not you like this video Elle made, they care about video views, which translates to top-of-mind awareness for their brand. So the longer Elle was silent on YT, the more page views her pathetic video would get because anticipation was building.
Except that she doesn't even get that many views. I've noticed that her popularity went down dramatically when she moved to LA and had that first hiatus with no explanation. Her popularity never bounced back. People got more and more bored with her. That strategy only works if the timing is right. She went too long without videos and now even if she does do videos on a daily basis again, it won't be good enough compared to the other more popular gurus.

PHAIL
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PHAIL »

The video has been up three days and hasn't even hit 100k. She's OVER!

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Username »

hambo wrote:Many successful Youtubers don't take on many sponsorships or none at all, but rather earn most/all their money through AdSense. I think this is a much better way to go about Youtube because you can still earn a shit load of money, but you don't piss off your viewers. I feel the Fowler sisters think they will earn more through all these sponsorships, but in reality I think if they just worked on their channels to keep their sub numbers growing and viewership up they can earn the same amount or much more.. I guess they are just too greedy to consider anything other than short term payoffs.. ka-ching.
I think they know this but do it anyway. Their videos are too bland to hold their teen audience in the long run. So they know they need to cash in before it all dries up.

paintmedance
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paintmedance »

She's contradicting herself. On her blog, she says her videos are just a hobby done for fun so she shouldn't be judged so harshly for it, then she says things like "I work from home". Does she consider her videos a job or not? If she does she really needs to treat them as such.

baconpancakes
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by baconpancakes »

I'm so confused and she seems to be all over the place. Do Pantene and the cat food ppl know that she isn't taking YT seriously? Bc I'm sure they'd not be impressed!

If she hadn't written that blog rant I'd be inclined to sympathize with her but she basically was saying "Screw you" to everyone. In fact, she prob hurt her loyal viewers more than anything bc they'd buy her books & crap and watch every video in the hopes that she might acknowledge them and do a video just for them. But nope.

She could be a farmer with all the milking she does :|

Edit: I realized now just how shitty that was of her to post on the coffee blog mostly bc that was her side project of her life and non beauty stuff. Basically ppl who were following it were doing so to support her bc they liked her period. What a jerk.

Return to “Elle Fowler”