Have you considered cancelling your tv subscription?

tinatat
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tinatat »

I recently cancelled cable. It was something I never thought I would do having absolutely loved tv for years.

However, now, I can find the majority of my favourite shows online. Youtube has x factor and tons of entertainment of its own. Netflix has movies and tons of great tv shows (Breaking Bad, Community, PLL, etc). I actually prefer them on Netflix because I can skip commercials and have binge days where I watch several episodes in a row. In Canada, I can watch all the Real Housewives on the Slice website.

I am a bit spoiled though because my bf has cable so I can catch up on random TLC shows (so sad What Not to Wear is cancelled!) and House Hunters! But even without that, I would still cancel.

What about you? Are you considering it or have you done it?

caomei
Informer
Informer

Re: Have you considered cancelling your tv subscription?

Post by caomei »

My dad pays for our TV and he is considering canceling, and I wouldn't blame him. In my part of Canada the cable and satellite companies absolutely gouge the customer for the most basic services - they do this with pretty much any kind of service all under the guise of a bunch of lame excuses.

I have a Netflix subscription and my dad and I are both able to connect our computers to the TV and use a VPN to access American Netflix via our phones and our computers. So I wouldn't mind if he canceled our TV subscription and I kind of hope he does because I'm tired of these companies charging us outlandish prices for basically no channels.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

I haven't had cable or satellite for a long while now. I had cable sophomore year of college because the dorms I lived in had it without extra charges.
My parents cancelled their satellite service a few years ago while I was in college. They just didn't watch it enough to pay so much money for it. They watch tv shows online.
I have a netflix subscription (though I'm considering cancelling that actually, I feel like it's gotten a little stale and I don't watch it that much anymore). But I live with my sister and her fiance, and the fiance actually pays for ATT u-verse cable service because he watches sports channels, but there are a few good channels (like abc family and tnt and stuff) on there too that I'll watch sometimes but even with that, I often just wait to watch my TV shows online because I hate commercials lol.
imma ball til the day i fall

AN0N.
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by AN0N. »

I like having cable for "On Demand", but I have considered cancelling HBO, Cinemax,& Showtime which we pay extra for and it's SUPER expensive. I usually cancel after my shows are over (True Blood, Dexter, etc)... and then add them back when the new season starts. Most of the movies on those channels are shitty too.

I have Netflix as well. I tried Hulu but didn't like it. I stream tv shows sometimes but the quality sucks. I never really stream movies online because quality sucks and buffering is soooo bad (even though I have turbo internet).

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

If I had another way to watch hockey and baseball games, I would cancel it in a heartbeat. I don't even watch television shows on TV anymore because I refuse to sit through 22 minutes of commercials that blare through the speakers. I only have a few shows that I keep up with anyway, so I just find those on watchseries, they're usually up within an hour of the air time. The thing that kill me is that we don't even have a fancy package, just basic cable, and it's almost $200 a month. It's DISGUSTING. Honestly if they had Netflix or Hulu for all of the sports channels (do they!?) I'd cancel cable and just get that.

bl0ndiebabii
Informer
Informer

Post by bl0ndiebabii »

My family cancelled our cable and I'm at college and have cable but I haven't turned on the TV in 2 and a half months. I don't really like television because I believe that it spreads propaganda and stereotypes so I like never watch it but if there are some shows that I love watching then I'll find them on Hulu or ProjectFreeTv.

eleventhirty
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by eleventhirty »

I cancelled mine a long while ago. I have Netflix, apps to watch through broadcasting sites (abc, etc) also utorrent & piratebay. The only sad part is not to have sports. There are sometimes football that streams live online but it's pretty tough to find.

tinatat
Talker
Talker

Post by tinatat »

Interesting replies everyone!

I looked up Hulu but it appears to be only available in the States (Canadian here).

I thought this was random... One of the first vids that I noticed on their front page was Sabrina, the Teenage Witch! What a blast from the past...

hustle rose~
Informer
Informer

Post by hustle rose~ »

My parents pay the tv bill. When I move out, I won't be getting cable. Netflix and Youtube has enough content for me.

I haven't watched tv in years.

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

When I moved out of my parents house I didn't bother getting tv. Waste of money to spend so much for only 3-4 english channel (I live in Quebec so basic cabble is 36 out of 40 channels in french and I can't stand french tv) Instead netflix and other resources online are my go to's.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

I haven't had cable since I moved out of my parents' house in 2010. I've exhausted most of what's good on Netflix and I can no longer watch my favorite shows online now that most of them now require you to enter your tv provider information. It makes me really want cable actually. Netflix can only get you so far once you exhaust the good content. I've watched so many stupid movies and shows just because I had nothing better to do at the time. Maybe it's good because once it gets warm out, I won't have so much of a reason to stay inside :P .

LyricalWarrior
Learner
Learner

Post by LyricalWarrior »

Yes, especially when the channel here in the UK takes almost a year to show the latest series of Supernatural. Ignores fan requests to put it on earlier, and doubles up episodes to rush through the series (when they're late showing it) so they don't lose viewers before the DVD is released.

itsmebitches
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by itsmebitches »

At my paren't house we had satellite in one room and cable in all the others..... my dad had to have satellite for golf. :roll:
However, now I have Roku box which allows me to stream Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, Games, etc onto my TV and that's all I need. It's so much cheaper and I get to watch all the old shows I miss.

sha1234

Post by sha1234 »

I'm in Canada and we haven't had paid cable in our house since 2008. My mom, bro and myself all use the internet to stream shows (we are all at work/school during the day). My dad who is retired uses his Roku box. Our only paid subscription is Netflix

kittycatpancake
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kittycatpancake »

I'm not getting cable when I move out. I just hook my computer up to the TV and watch whatever I want from there. I'm trying to show my parents how, too, but I don't think they'll ever get it. My dad is still fascinated by youtube and will sit at the computer for a couple hours watching old westerns if you get them ready for him.

MzToothache
Learner
Learner

Post by MzToothache »

My family has been without a tv subscription for over the last year. We've even given away most of the tvs in the house too. I wanted to keep mine for console gaming purposes, but since I made my new gaming computer like August, I've been using that instead. But even before we canceled the tv subscriptions, nobody in the house was actually watching tv. Me and my sister watched everything online, and my mom, who doesn't use the internet at all, didn't have time to watch tv (only a select few soap operas and lifetime movies at the end of the week). I did have Netflix for a couple of years, but decided to cancel that last September. I was the only one watching it and paying for it, so I decided to let it go seeing as even I wasn't watching much of it myself. Though, I miss it sometimes, and will probably resubscribe oneday for just the online streaming. I don't know.

v_illa
Informer
Informer

Post by v_illa »

I definitely prefer watching things on my tv vs a laptop/tablet so I don't see myself ever getting rid of a physical tv. I don't see myself giving up my tv subscription either, if anything I'm starting to watch more cable channels. Recently I've found myself getting bored with youtube and 'in a rut' with netflix (when you've already watched/aren't interested in their recommendations). I like watching shows while they air live so I don't need to worry about reading spoilers before an episode shows up online and my friend group often have tv viewing parties to watch the newest episodes so its kind of like a little get together every week.

sexypotato
Lurker
Lurker

Post by sexypotato »

My mom canceled our TV subscription last year. I'm not sad about it. I actually thought it was a good idea because there's never anything good on and the same commercial shows up about 372762721818837272829922 times. When I watch it on my laptop, I can click on the show I want and it's free. It's so much better than paying money for a show that I'll probably miss when I can watch any show at any time for free with no ads or commercials.
i can't see my forehead

mayorpatty
Informer
Informer

Post by mayorpatty »

I haven't had cable since '09 I watch everything online plus I have Netflix and I am thinking about getting Hulu. When you are accustomed to streaming and watching everything fast and without ads going back to watching TV makes you want to throw your TV down the stairs.

etta

Post by etta »

Yes!!! I was thinking about this the other day. I literally never ever watch TV. Most of my friends don't either. I watch netflix or use the internet to watch shows I like because I despise sitting through all the ads and commercials on TV. In my house no one else other than my mom watches TV, and even then she watches like 2 shows that she prerecords. when I move out I will definitely not be having cable. The only reason why I would need a television is to watch DVDs, but my computer can do that.

Return to “TV Shows”