Glitterature videos

UnImpossible
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Glitterature videos

Post by UnImpossible »

I don't see a problem with her reading or buying YA books. I can't picture Elle going to a library and checking out a book though.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

karanina wrote:I think Elle mentioned she prefers 'real' books over kindle. And I believe Blair mentioned she prefers e-readers.

Again, as for the "adult books", I have a general distaste for many of the modern adult books. It's all rom-com. Fed up with that, to be honest. Classics are fine, but overrated and not really 'adult' in the sense that many are read in school.
The general question is: What makes a book YA, and what makes it Adult? There are plenty adult books which might just be trash if it weren't for the price, and there are many YA books with very serious themes - take, for example, Gemma Malley's "The declaration" and the two sequels. Eternal health and youth due to advanced medicine lead to overpopulation, which, again, lead to having children being criminalized. The central questions are, among others, who has "more" right to live, who has ultimately the right to live at all and how is that right obtained? Can we be forced to die a natural death if there was a medicine to keep us alive beyond natural expecation? Who decides, and how far can you go, when there is no limit?

It's saddening to see that these days, what is sold as "YA" often faces tougher questions than popular adult does. Just look at the flood of vampire YA and dystopian YA. What does it tell us about our youth that these are particularly popular? The "vampire" skill of eternal youth and life, the extremely sexualized physical act of biting someone and becoming "one and the same" in a society where beauty and youth are central, and eternal relationships are declining; and on the other the dystopian world, usually a result of natural catastrophes (an actual threat in our world), overpopulation, extreme governmental control, nothing more than an expression of actual fears of what could happen in our actual world.
I think it's both subject matter and the actual writing itself that makes a book YA or Adult. Although you're right, a lot of 'adult' books are just easy and light reading as well, and there are YA books that are more complex than some adult ones.
imma ball til the day i fall

x_bethanyy
Informer
Informer

Post by x_bethanyy »

Glitterature drinking game: drink every time Elle says 'dystopian'.

Poopsie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Poopsie »

I just wish she would read something, ANYTHING other than a teen dystopian book.
At this point, she could read The Cat in the Hat and that would be a welcome change...lol

paintmedance
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paintmedance »

I wish she'd give real reviews, as mimi said above. Talk about character development, themes, tone, style etc and not just plot. Her reviews are very shallow and barely skim the surface of the books so we don't actually learn a lot about what they're like, though she does often say she reads a book "very quickly" and doesn't like books that don't move fast enough for her, so I'm guessing she just plows through books rather than paying them thought.

chrissy!
Lurker
Lurker

Post by chrissy! »

If you ever go to a library and look through the adult section vs the YA section you'll notice the difference. A lot of adult literature is the same in the way that a lot of YA literature is the same. I used to spend quite a lot of time in my library, so I found that the differences were quite striking. Even as a twenty-something I find it extremely hard to stomach what would be considered "adult fiction", a few titles set aside. It's hard to explain what the difference between them is without showing you the books themselves. I suggest going to a library and looking through both sections to see what I mean... it's just so hard to pinpoint what makes them different. For me, the choice has always been YA with a pension for adult romance novels in there. I rarely read "adult fiction", mostly because none of it interests me.

As for Elle's tastes, I say bravo to her for advertising reading in an industry that is so vapid. Even if her reviews are nothing more than plot summaries, she is showing that you can love fashion AND makeup AND books without sacrificing anything. Some of her choices are a little bit too much for my taste (her vampire obsession had me ripping my hair out), but I'm glad that she's reading and promoting books to a demographic (13-17 I believe is her target, though I'm not positive) that often doesn't get that encouragement.
What you just read is an opinion. I know it scares you, but we'll get through this together. Just hold my hand and everything will be okay.

devilishtenshi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by devilishtenshi »

Totally put the books from her latest video on my amazon wishlist. They sound interesting!

1chance2enchant
Learner
Learner

Post by 1chance2enchant »

She made me want to get Unwind and Unwholly and she looked really pretty IMO :)

Bear
Talker
Talker

Post by Bear »

I've read a few books that she reviewed, but for some of them, the target audience is teenage girls (like myself), so I was surprised that she would have read them. The House of Night series & the Vampire Academy books are both good book series about vampires. I've read almost all of them. I think I prefer the Vamp Academy. The Hunger Games is amazing; i've read all three books :) I also read Lock & Key by Sarah Dessen. It was a good, but I don't remember much about it. All of her books are so similar. I read the Giver in 8th grade, and it was kind of a depressing story, but I think it had a good meaning. I read the Twilight Series, and I can't stand Stephenie Meyer's writing. I love the Divergent series, it's one of my favorite book series :) Shiver is also a good book if you're into werewolves.

versus
Learner
Learner

Post by versus »

on buying books.
For the last few years I started to buy quite a lot of books (now I'm waiting for 17books in the mail,but usually it's a lot LOT less I just got some money) because:
1. I love looking for new books(reading reviews,watching hauls/bookshelf tours)/buying them/ordering/getting packages/reading them/putting them into shelves/rearranging my shelves.All of this makes me happy.
2.I'm a hoarder. And this is my hoard :lol:
3. I see it also as a collection. My friend collects kpop photoards (some can be more expensive than 100usd),some people collect clippings of celebrities, I collect books.
4. People spend their money on different stuff.My sister has loads of shoes/bags and I like having books,there's nothing wrong with spending money on the stuff that you like.
5. The thing about poor trees makes me quite sad,so I try to buy used books (some of them came with library stamps on them cause it's an ex-library book lol and apparently it helps for some charities so that's nice) 16 of the books that I'm waiting for are used.
6.I feel that most of the books that I have,have a rereading value,so that's nice to have them around.
7.Books look nice. I'm drooling while looking at fancy bookshelves on tumblr. It's like the best thing to decorate a room with.

On YA.
I feel that people should read what they want and not care about others.It's not like I read only the most meaningful and serious classics all the time. BUT it kills me when someone reads a book that doesn't have more literary value/meaning than cosmo and the cosmo reading girl can be seen as stupid and the girl that reads that crappy ''book'' (seriously who publishes that sh*t???) as a ''book lover''. And it has nothing to do with reading YA.Yes,it has A LOT of crap,but so does adult books (50sog anyone?) and YA has stuff like TFIOS or the book thief which are awesome.
But it annoys me to see all of these girls on yt with their shelves full of perfect hardback books which look different only because they have different girl in a dress on the cover(or a face,or a kissing couple),but have no personality at all. And it seems that they love books but all they read are those cheesy romances between a stupid,annoying girl with no personality and two overly aggressive,douche guys (or at least one of them is like that)....and they go around calling themselves ''bookworms'' and nerds..what kind of discussion can you have with these ''bookworms''? team jacob or edward?how such and such is suuper hawt?

People can read anything they want but I think that variety would be nice.. like some adult books,classics, hq YA, some ''guilty pleasure'' book here and there, chick-lit..anything...but when people read ONLY books that I would call ''literary trash'' like twilight ,50sog,vampire academy (just my opinion) and then go around telling everyone how they loooove literature and are sooo much more sophisticated and nerdy than those ''sluts'' and ''party girls'' who just vomit everywhere and only care about their looks....then sorry,I just hate them.

Never new that there is so much hate inside of me :sadm:
Sorry for the rant.

OfficialSarah
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by OfficialSarah »

I have to be honest: I own about 80% of the books on her book list as well and loved/love them all. Yes, they might be YA literature but hey, at least she's reading. You wouldn't imagine how many people are not touching any kind of book as soon as they get out of school. I am even older than Elle and in Grad school for Economics - and I don't feel bad at all for reading this kind of "literature" (and I have read Lord of the Flies and Brave New World in school - both in English even though I am not a native English speaker) and I prefer it to other stuff. I love me my chick reads and some crime books (Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell) and I am perfectly happy with that. Tastes are different so just let her read what she feels like - reading stops being fun when you force yourself to read something you don't like.

Emerald
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Emerald »

Here's a new video.

[youtube][/youtube]

Batila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Batila »

^That was probably my least favorite glitterature she's ever done. The review was all over the place.

Has anyone here ever read the books she reviews? I bought the maze runner when she first reviewed it and shiver other than that nothing else.

xxkath
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by xxkath »

I bought the maze runner, the hunger games and divergent. I enjoyed all of them.
This gliterature was a little rambly considering she only really covered the first chapter or so of the story but it does sound like an interesting story. If I was really stuck for a book I would consider it.

Worldofchances2giveu
Informer
Informer

Post by Worldofchances2giveu »

Her Glitterature videos is what has kept me subbed to her side channel and always made me like her videos more than her sister's. But i didn't really like her most recent review, it was little to all over the place for my tastes.

Arielle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arielle »

Batila wrote:^That was probably my least favorite glitterature she's ever done. The review was all over the place.

Has anyone here ever read the books she reviews? I bought the maze runner when she first reviewed it and shiver other than that nothing else.
Okay I love fairy tale retellings, so after watching her video I immediately downloaded the eBook for Cruel Beauty. I finished it in less than 2 days, and while I enjoyed the story, I don't blame her at all for the jumbled review. The book has several confusing parts and if you watch some other YT reviews on it, Elle & I are not the only ones who think so. The author needs to work on the world-building, as well as the scenes leading up to the conclusion. There's a bit of action/magic stuff happening and it's really difficult to understand what's happening because there's so many details being thrown out there at once. I've read other reviews on Goodreads from people who agree with me on this.

Other books I've bought and/or read because of her reviews: The Eye of Minds, The Darkest Minds (all 3 books that are currently out), Divergent trilogy, The White Queen, Matched, Crossed, Entwined, Splintered (I can't find the video where she mentioned this, but I am sure I heard about this book from her!), Unwind dystology.

Yes, I've read a lot of books that she's read because I'm interested in the same genres as she is. I've enjoyed all of them.

butreallyicant
Debater
Debater

Post by butreallyicant »

ETA with letting her read what she wants... Most of the books I read are about sex or drugs.... nothing profound. I spend 90% of my life reading scholarly books... I want to read trash when I can too!

I'm going to look into Cruel Beauty even though its different than what I usually grab for.

devilishtenshi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by devilishtenshi »

I'd love her to do one on Allegiant as I'm sure she read it. That book broke my heart.... And was a horrible ending to the trilogy in so many ways. I don't know what the hell happened to the storyline there. It made little sense. Such a shame since Divergent may be one of my favorite books! I want to know her opinion. I'm curious.

Emerald
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Emerald »

You guys probably already seen the video, but I'll still put it here.

[youtube][/youtube]

Arielle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arielle »

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “Elle Fowler”