Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rhett & Link

Post by urmel »

lurkerloo wrote:
urmel wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:00 am
New earbiscuit, link's episode - at 1h11 he addressed the LGBT issue and how it had weighed on him/them that despite their LA church being welcoming, it only welcomed LGBT people as a way of "saving" them, not as valid people and couples.

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)
I haven't listened yet, but I bet that did weigh on him greatly because so many of their staff are LGBTQ. Stevie's been their right hand woman for many years and she's very out and proud.
He mentioned her and Cassie specifically

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)

lazygossip
Talker
Talker

Post by lazygossip »

I appreciate "the lost years" episodes of EB and have now caught up on all of them. Link's episode was hard to listen to because he sounded so nervous to me. And the story he told about Rhett making him get out of the car after Link told him he'd gotten drunk at a party made me so sad lol.

Post by Guest »

Oh Man, I tried to watch a GMM ep today, since it was on the trending page, and I hadn't watched them in years and thought I'd give it a go. It was cringe. Rhett was just constantly making sexualized jokes about jock balls and STI's while looking at the crew who were fake laughing, as Rhett smirked at their reactions, while Link tried to mutter through with the game. I had to turn it off. :(

Yoona
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Yoona »

CheesyBirdMess wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:29 am
Oh Man, I tried to watch a GMM ep today, since it was on the trending page, and I hadn't watched them in years and thought I'd give it a go. It was cringe. Rhett was just constantly making sexualized jokes about jock balls and STI's while looking at the crew who were fake laughing, as Rhett smirked at their reactions, while Link tried to mutter through with the game. I had to turn it off. :(
I always assume whoever's 'laughing' the hardest is the one who's job is currently on the line lmao. It's like North Korean funeral wailing but fake laughs instead.

Rhett's obsession with slipping in forced, unfunny, unclever sex jokes gets more and more pathetic, though I'm always here for him interrupting Link because that moron is usually the one never shuts up.

LiddlePallid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LiddlePallid »

The games they've been doing lately with crew members - are there all new people AGAIN? And did they finally get rid of that super annoying Jordan dude or whatever his name was? (the one who did Cotton Candy Randy?)

I know interns aren't going to be there forever, but it seems like they are constantly getting new people lol

lurkerloo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkerloo »

lazygossip wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:14 pm
I appreciate "the lost years" episodes of EB and have now caught up on all of them. Link's episode was hard to listen to because he sounded so nervous to me. And the story he told about Rhett making him get out of the car after Link told him he'd gotten drunk at a party made me so sad lol.
I got that sense too, I wonder if he was worried about feeling disingenuous because he had doubts throughout the entirety of his time working with the ministry where as Rhett full on believed until science and religion didn't align. I was a bit surprised that Rhett was more devout than Link, Link always comes across so much more innocent.

That story was equal parts sad and hilarious. They really have moments where they come off sounding like a couple--like Link saying he wanted Rhett to know he drank from him before the word got around. That sounds like someone telling their significant other they cheated. I think Link really got stability out of his relationship with Rhett and his involvement in religion. He's had a handful of stepparents and moved around a bit--he's also talked about how much time he spent alone when he wasn't with Rhett.

lurkerloo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkerloo »

LiddlePallid wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:07 am
The games they've been doing lately with crew members - are there all new people AGAIN? And did they finally get rid of that super annoying Jordan dude or whatever his name was? (the one who did Cotton Candy Randy?)

I know interns aren't going to be there forever, but it seems like they are constantly getting new people lol
I really think they've gone the route of regular extras with their crew. I think they have their core crew of writers, set designers, and the kitchen--but there are so many who come and go that they have to be contracted like an extra for it to make sense.

lurkerloo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkerloo »

So...are we going to talk about today's episode?

Whoheckinhknows
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Whoheckinhknows »

lurkerloo wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:03 am
So...are we going to talk about today's episode?
I had a feeling it would be weird since Matthew Carney said it would be "the most unforgettable episode of GMM you've ever seen", but Jesus Christ. I have never wanted to vomit after watching a YouTube video before.
And the worst part is my brain telling me that there are probably even worse ones out there and I'm never going to be able to get it all out of my head.
I may never eat peanut butter again.

lurkerloo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkerloo »

I might be depraved but I laughed so hard. That entire episode was hilarious to me. I loved watching Rhett’s reactions as Link read.

I did some digging and 2/3rds of the writers were amused to be featured, the second writer was pretty upset because they were laughing. But I mean. That’s expected, right? They’re writing homoerotic fan fiction about two men who have been married to women for nearly 2 decades. They can’t expect it to be taken seriously, right?

yew
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by yew »

Did anyone watch the "A Conversation With" interview Philip DeFranco did with Rhett and Link? I don't wanna watch it, but would like to know if there's something new being said about their backgrounds.
my first language isn't english

lurkerloo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkerloo »

yew wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:20 am
Did anyone watch the "A Conversation With" interview Philip DeFranco did with Rhett and Link? I don't wanna watch it, but would like to know if there's something new being said about their backgrounds.
I was interested too, but Philip DeFranco kind of annoys me. I've never made it through one of his podcasts before even when I'm interested in the guest.

lazygossip
Talker
Talker

Post by lazygossip »

I listened to it but it's so long that I had to do so over 3 different listenings and have already forgotten a lot of it. I can say there wasn't too much new stuff that stood out. I really appreciate them reiterating their straight white male privilege and it seems that they're genuine in their acknowledgment of it. And I do really appreciate them talking even more so on this podcast about their support of the lgbt community. Link told a story about the first time he ever met Michael Buckley in person and Buck immediately gave him a big hug and it was the first time Link had ever hugged an out gay person before. And he struggled with his feelings about it. He felt like he was supposed to view Buck a certain (judgemental) way but really Link just liked him and didn't really have a problem with who he was even though he was "supposed" to feel differently. Link said that had been a major thing early on in his "deconstruction" that started opening his world view. (Link was more eloquent in the way he talked about this fyi- I'm not great with words but that's the gist).

With all of that said, I really hate that they likened them talking about their spiritual journey with coming out as lgbt. I hate that. They were respectful about it and it's not something I'm actually ~mad about or anything but I just hate when people who aren't lgbt feel like them talking about something that's personal to them is somehow the same as coming out! It's not lol.

PugsleyWednesday
Debater
Debater

Post by PugsleyWednesday »

Anyone else think they are trying wayyy too hard to stay relevant?

Speaking mostly of their "Sextember" podcasts this month. I haven't listened, because I find their podcasts so dull and boring, it's always a rehash of stuff we already know and have heard before - from a very white male priveleged duo from a conservative background who try to appear woke, but with some underlining bullcrap - like the world needs more of that?

Also, honestly barely believe they even LIKE each other anymore.

Their fan-base is also pretty toxic, too. The way they are willing to kneel and defend and act like these guys friendship and entertainment 'saved their lives' really is next level eye-roll, to me.

lurkerloo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkerloo »

1. I’ve been binging the Addams family lately. The OG B&W series and the Christiana Ricci movies. Love your name.

2. They are trying way too hard lately. That dockers bit on their recent season opener was way too much. It got old fast.

3. I think Sextember is a way to get more Ear Biscuit views. I watch it here and there but eh, this is a miss for me.

4. I think they do still like each other, but I don’t think it’s anything like it used to be so they try hard to make it read like it used to be.

5. Their fan base is so TOXIC. Someone on Reddit commented about the dockers bit being a miss and got downvoted like crazy. It’s okay to give constructive criticism. I don’t know why their fan base acts like R&L are infallible. I often wonder how many fans have lost interest in R&L because of how toxic the fan base can be.

Bonus: I absolutely hate how gimicky Josh has become. I used to be able to tolerate his videos but he’s such a character these days. His videos with Emily are the worst. Their first one was okay, and I absolutely love seeing old meals recreated. I’m weird like that. But after that she’s always done this bizarre, try hard character. I haven’t even been able to watch their recent videos because it’s just Emily trying to do an effortless period character and Josh being extra and purposefully messy.

lazygossip
Talker
Talker

Post by lazygossip »

I think Emily is funny when she's just herself but I HATE her characters and I hate the character bits she and that other guy do during main episodes where their characters are in a relationship. I always skip ahead.

I never watch Mythical Kitchen because I can only take Josh in small doses.

PugsleyWednesday
Debater
Debater

Yep I actually used to be a 'fan' - nothing die-hard, just would tune into their vids most days and enjoy it for the most part - but a few years back when they had that big youtube team-up with a crapload of money injected and tripled their staff, and completely screwed up their entire episode system, cutting themselves into smaller videos that felt rushed and never fleshed out - it's clear they became far more scripted and forced.

Rhett's attitude when fans complained about it all was abhorrent. That whole video of them being super defensive was such a "REACT" moment, I was waiting for the internet to turn on them, and they never really did... They did lose a lot of fans, like me most of us just went away quietly disappointed in the fanbase for turning on us.

The way they turned it around and make fans feel guilty, raking them over hot coals for expressing their opinion and saying "you don't like change" and saying hey you're getting content FOR FREE you know, WE NEED TO MAKE MONEY, essentially pinned fans against each other and I thought it was gross and sick! It showed who they really were... especially when they were DESPERATE to try and get onto all the Tonight Shows, sucking on Jimmy Fallon. It was clear they were trying to get a TV Gig, and it failed. No one outside of the internet knows who they are. They aren't comedic geniuses that they think they are. I also find it pathetic they now have this paid tier mythical society bullshit for 'exclusive content', and are CONSTANTLY shilling merch. I started watching again for the first time in years just recently, and I'm actually embarrassed for myself, for them and the fans.

They themselves have admitted they exhausted their own creativity years ago, and its only been through hiring shitloads of crew who are writers and producers to create the content as they are essentially 'actors' that they have continued success. Yet they churn and revolve the employees out like no-ones business. I'm surprised we don't hear more about what a toxic place it is to work.

Sorry Rant End.

lurkerloo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkerloo »

I started watching after that so I didn’t realize how bad it was, but yea Rhett’s mentioned here and there that he’s worked on letting go of the comment section because it worked him up too much. They still make comments, like the other day when they read some game rules they made they referenced Reddit and said some people will skip over that part which I felt would only encourage the mega fans to be worse with constructive criticism.

I’m not on the society but I think they’ve taken it too far. Like with all the podcasts and making the behind the scenes crew a show on their. The clips I’ve seen on Twitter and that they promote are pretty meh.

PugsleyWednesday
Debater
Debater

and now apparently they are doing an 'after dark' style special livestream, called Good Mythical Evening "Adults Only"

https://www.events.loopedlive.com/mythical

"Join Rhett, Link and the Mythical Crew for an evening of LIVE R-rated Mythicality as they take classic Good Mythical Morning favorites and add a little cursing, alcohol, sex, and whatever else is on YouTube’s list of don’ts.
Internetainment has never been so indecent."

:roll:

PugsleyWednesday
Debater
Debater

Anyone see the Podcast / EarBiscuit as they call it, with Matthew McConaughey?

I could only watch a quarter of it - it was mostly Rhett and Link lamenting that they will only ever be known for eating pig testicles on the internet and how they try so hard (boohoo) to write other stuff and get Hollywood approval, and want to go mainstream and can't cross over. Trying to relate to McConaughey's issues with RomComs and him refusing them, until what he wanted to do came along.

It seems every other time I watch them, they are pissing on their own fans, and talking about how they are 'stuck' and clearly not enjoying GMM anymore, (Speaking of, their latest two GMM episodes they are both so antagonistic toward each other and trying to shrug it off as jokes, while they clearly take issue with the bitchy snipes they make toward one another....)
while still trying to maintain that they will keep doing it, because it pays the bills... But man - how can fans watch this shit and not see how manipulative and self serving these assholes are??? If any other youtuber acted like this - there would be major callout, but for them? Crickets.

Return to “N-Z”