Oil pulling

TheIrksomeThings
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Oil pulling

Post by TheIrksomeThings »

Noticed nobody had made a topic on it and since I am looking into possibly starting I thought I'd farm some thoughts and opinions out of you all!

I actually found out about it when I was researching 'cures' for Keratosis Pilaris a while ago. At the time I was intrigued but not hooked, but recently came back to it and was surprised at all the other health and cosmetic benefits people claimed - even whiter teeth - so I'm seriously considering giving it a shot.

Does anyone have any experience with oil pulling? How did/does it work out for you? How long did it take to see/feel noticeable results, if any?

There is lots of information on oil pulling on google for those who don't know what it is but are curious. I'd love to hear your initial thoughts on it too! 8-)

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Oil pulling

Post by Chiyou »

Hey! First response! Haha.

I tried oil pulling for a few days a while ago, but I didn't stick with it long enough to see any noticeable results. It's funny that I should come across this thread now, because I was actually thinking about starting it up again. I'm kind of obsessive about my oral hygiene, haha. I'm thinking of doing oil pulling together with the OIl Cleansing Method for my face.

I plan on using Extra Virgin Olive Oil for both.

Wanna be oil pulling buddies??? :D

TheIrksomeThings
Lurker
Lurker

Wanna be oil pulling buddies???
For sure! Though I'll only be able to try (properly) for 3 months before I go off wwoofing in some remote place. :)

That was the same oil I was considering! It will be interesting to see how it progresses for both us both. Whether if we see/feel results at similar points or vary drastically!

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

Yay! I just did my first session today! I'm thinking about taking a picture of my teeth and posting it here just for accountability purposes. I'd like to see if my teeth actually DO whiten over time. Keep me posted!

I just used EVOO because that's what I usually have readily available. Apparently coconut oil is the best, but I'm like wtf...I don't even know where to buy that stuff! lol.

TheIrksomeThings
Lurker
Lurker

As far as I'm aware the tooth whitening should be really apparent within three days - so expect quick results! I've got to be careful though as I have bridges (fake teeth) due to evil genetics denying me of 6 teeth, so I can't let my teeth get much whiter than the 2 visible fake ones. :(

Haha, coconut oil is weird, but usually can be found in health stores and stuff. It is presented differently to other oils as it is actually a soild until heated. I just hate the taste of coconut oil and it makes me gag! Seasame is meant to be good, but all I can find is the toasted variety which is bad.

I feel I should note, since we both a aiming for brighter and whiter teeth. I was doing my first oil pull last night with EVOO, and decided to find the first forum I read about the stuff to occupy my mind as I OPed. Apparently olive oil is okay to use, but people found it didn't have the benefit of much whiter teeth, just healthier gums and other health stuff cleared. As a result I've dug down in my cupboard and found some coconut oil. My plan is coconut oil in the morning (Where cups of tea will clear the taste) and EVOO in the evening. Also, swish slowly rather than quickly.

I'm actually OPing right now. The taste of coconut is making me gag a bit though, and I'm finding it hard not to swallow the mucus (YUCK!) that it draws out :? I think I may have to do a teaspoon of cocount oil and a dessert spoon of olive oil to start with just so I can cope!

In regards to finding coconut oil if you feel you really want to switch, here in the UK I can find it in Holland and Barrett and Sainsburys. In the US I hear wholefoods usually does it, if not try obscure health food stores. My coconut oil came in a short wide tub/jar, so look for that sort of shape and remember it is hard rather than liquid. God luck with the search!

I held of hitting post until I finished OPing. I can report that compared to EVOO, coconut oil gave my teeth an instantly more brighter appearance! Which I'm both happy and frustrated about as it means I will definitely have to learn to tolerate the coconut flavour, haha! I also, after reading fore-mentioned forum, rinsed my mouth out with salt water as that is a natural anti-septic and clears out any lingering oil and thus whatever nasty bacteria got pulled.

Also on a side note. If you are interested in healthy teeth something to look into is tooth mousse. I used it post heavy dental work as my teeth had being attacked by tools and I was worried it had thinned my enamel, It certainly seemed to have some effect, noting dramatic though. Some people claimed whiter teeth, I just thought it made mine less sensitive, and stronger and got rid of this random white spot that had randomly appeared on my front tooth. But I only used it for a couple of months at most, so it may indeed give whiter teeth over time!

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

I read that coconut oil is actually really good for you; not just for OPing but also for cooking and stuff. I don't know if there is a Whole Foods around me but I'll take a look around. I actually like the taste of coconut, so I don't think it'll bother me.

I OP'ed this morning and I think I used a little bit too much EVOO so I was gagging a little bit and that caused me to swallow a little bit of mucus, and asdkjga;lkejgasdjg EWWW so gross, haha. I also need to take your advice and keep some salt in the bathroom so I can do a salt rinse after OPing. Even after rinsing my mouth and brushing my teeth, I still feel a bit of oil residue in my mouth. The amount of mucus that it draws is actually pretty amazing, and gross, lol.

I'll have to look into tooth mousse! One of my molars on the top left side has a really dark yellow stain on it. Hopefully, the tooth mousse would help to get rid of it!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Will report back when I get my hands on some coconut oil!

ariadne38
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by ariadne38 »

I am oil pulling with coconut oil twice a day for twenty minutes each time. I also finish with a warm salt water rinse. I am not an expert on any of this--just someone who wanted a healthier way for oral care and overall healing. I was also looking for a way to be more gentle with myself. I was also becoming unhappy with mouthwash and its harsh ingredients--and a bit scared of them. I have learned that oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice and doing it twice a day promotes this healing. I began using sunflower oil which has a very mild taste. I switched to coconut oil since it has so many amazing properties. I also like the taste. In my opinion, this is better than buying expensive drugstore whitening kits or following any procedure that makes your gums and teeth sensitive. If those ways are "good", why do they HURT? I think my teeth are becoming whiter and that, overall it is beneficial for your oral health. I plan to continue.

thrillah
Informer
Informer

Post by thrillah »

I've just started to do this and cant last for more than 30 seconds. the texture and thickness of the oil makes me feel like i'm going to be sick. any tips? :(

btw im currently using EVOO and nut oil

sha1234

Post by sha1234 »

thrillah wrote:I've just started to do this and cant last for more than 30 seconds. the texture and thickness of the oil makes me feel like i'm going to be sick. any tips? :(

btw im currently using EVOO and nut oil
I know it's been a few months since anyone's posted on this thread. Curious about this myself, if anyone is still doing the oil pulling.

Kriips98
Learner
Learner

Post by Kriips98 »

I tried it yesterday evening and couldn't swish the coconut oil around for more than a minute. After wards my stomach churned a bit. Think my gag reflex is doing overtime.
Sigh, I really want to establish a nightly OP routine, since it seems to lessen sensitivity in teeth and makes your teeth a lot whiter. How's everybody doing on their OPing?
Striving to be better and better each day

TheBadBeginning
Talker
Talker

Post by TheBadBeginning »

It's encouraging to see that there are people here who are doing/ have tried oil pulling!
I have done it only twice and that was months ago... I really want to start up again. The first time, I got such a bad headache from it, but the second was better. I had to cut the time in half because my mouth was too tired.
I used coconut oil(what I had/seemed the least disgusting) and it was ok I guess. OPing is definitely not an enjoyable experience (for me that is).
My question is, is it 100% absolutely necessary to do it on an empty stomache right in the morning? I think it'd be easier at night, but everywhere I read says empty stomach empty stomach. Anyone know?

Kriips98
Learner
Learner

Post by Kriips98 »

^
The empty stomach is supposedly very important, because if you've eaten and then pull, you pull out the nutrients from your blood.
Striving to be better and better each day

sha1234

Post by sha1234 »

My throat gets dry and I start gagging coz I'm swishing around but not swallowing...
Am I doing this wrong? lol

lollieee123
Debater
Debater

Post by lollieee123 »

I've noticed no one's posted here in a while, but I'll give my penny's worth...

I finally started oil pulling last week and so far so good. I'm using Perfectly Pure coconut oil and I can keep it up for the full 20 minutes. I try to do it as soon as I wake up, before eating and drinking, I'm finding it next to impossible to not swallow a tiny bit during the time, but I guess it's okay. My teeth feel a lot cleaner throughout the day, even just before brushing my teeth at night they feel quite clean. Before I started pulling my teeth were crazy sensitive and my breath would start to smell and taste bad within an hour of brushing, which was really horrible but I've found that with my teeth feeling cleaner for longer, my breath also stays fresher for longer. And the sensitivity has almost gone! My teeth do look slightly whiter but we'll see on that. I think it's helping my gums a bit too and I hope that eventually my gums improve because they've been receding and it's quite scary as I'm only 19 and I don't do anything that would cause my gums to recede. My dentist hasn't done or said anything about my gums either - my dentist rips me off tbh I need to find a new one.

What I do after pulling is I rinse my mouth with salty warm water a couple of times, I then brush with a specific toothbrush that I use after oil pulling, and then again with my normal toothbrush after that I just carry on with my day normally. I've may start doing it in the evening for about 10 minute just to help with my teeth at night.

Have any of you heard of Cocowhite? It sounds good and I'd really like to try the vanilla flavour but I'm not sure if it's worth the price of £20 for 14 sachets.

Return to “Dental Health”