How did you meet your current partner?

bip
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How did you meet your current partner?

Post by bip »

We worked together. For a year I had boyfriend, and I just thought my coworker was a cool dude, and that I could see myself being good friends with him, nothing more. A while later my boyfriend and I broke up, but I still was not interested in my coworker, and he wasn't really interested in me. We would just goof off, show one another funny videos and talk about video games. Our coworkers noticed this and started teasing us about dating, but we would both get annoyed by these remarks as we had no intentions of this. Later on, I started dating another guy, and I would frequently complain to my coworker about him, as he would always act really sketchy and had really bad mood swings. Turns out, the guy I was dating actually had a girlfriend -.- so that ended. After this had happened, my coworker and I were still friends, and I started to develop a small crush on him. I never expected anything to come of it, as I didn't really think he liked me. My coworkers tried to convince me otherwise, bad move - because I got drunk at a work party and tried to kiss him. He was sober and denied me coming on to him, which really hurt my self-esteem. I got kind of mad because I didn't understand why he wouldn't want to date me. We liked all the same things, he was super inexperienced and dorky, and not gonna lie - I'd like to say I'm pretty attractive. So a week passed, and I was getting over it because we worked together, and I didn't want any hard feelings. He slowly started messaging me on Facebook out of the blue more and more so we would talk (in my mind as friends). One day he asked to hang out, and I thought "sure why not, it'd be rude of me to say no - we work together and we've hung out before." Well he came over and we ordered pizza and played games and watched Netflix, and then out of the blue he kissed me. I was like woah what the heck dude? He said he was really nervous about dating me because he never really had a girlfriend before and didn't know if he wanted to commit himself to something he didn't know how to do, and that he didn't want to take advantage of me while I was drunk. Turns out this guy is a Good Guy Greg, but I always give him shit now for turning me down and not knowing if he wanted to date me. We've been together for almost two years now!

peetharolls
Talker
Talker

Post by peetharolls »

Online :) we met online in July 2010 (i was 17, turning 18 that August and he was 21). We met in person in 2011. When we met, neither of us were looking for a relationship but I drew him in with my personality and he drew me in with how much he made me laugh. This past July, we celebrated 3 years together and we went on a cruise to the Bahamas. And in January 2014, I'm moving to Georgia (where he lives) to get my Bachelors and we're getting a place together and couldn't be happier.

caomei
Informer
Informer

Post by caomei »

I met my boyfriend while I was finishing up high school. I'd been seriously ill with post traumatic stress disorder and mono (yaayyyy), so I'd needed an extra year to finish my education. I met him in the second semester - I'd actually just seen him walking to his classroom which was next to mine. I thought he was extremely good-looking so after about a month I worked up the courage to introduce myself to him. During class break, I walked up to him whilst blushing bright tomato red and yep - we had coffee together. Turned out he was also taking an extra year of high school, but because he had just come from Korea and needed a couple Canadian high school classes to prove his English skill.

It was really cute because his English speaking skills weren't the best, so I would help him study and I helped him through his homesickness. We hung out together for a little over two months before I asked him out on a date, and he'd admitted he thought I was really beautiful but didn't think a Caucasian girl would ever be interested in him so he was too afraid to ask me out. Three years later and we're still together and engaged ~

AngelPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by AngelPrincess »

well I just recently broke up with my ex but I'm still going to talk about how we met because he was my first non high school boyfriend. After I had turned 18 I decided to join a couple of dating websites. I don't know why but I just felt like I needed to have a boyfriend at the time. so I joined two websites Datehook.com and POF.com (datehookup is the worst thing ever don't go to that site if your looking for a relationship its full of immature a-holes so quick to ask you sexual questions and send naked pictures) I was doing the online dating thing for about two weeks after I met him on POF. He was so sweet he actually interested in getting to know who I am. We had so much in common one of the biggest things is that we loved The Sims. We would talk for hours through webcam and he always made me laugh. We met in person about a week after talking and he was super awkward at first but then got better. He was eager to meet my family which I also loved since most guys I've met are always scared of my parents for some reason idk why. I loved talking about him to my friends and how great of a guy he was. But sadly once I started talking to him about more serious issues in my life he didn't want to hear it and we broke up but I still liked our relationship even though it didn't end well

discrepancies
Informer
Informer

Post by discrepancies »

Aw my story is so boring!
I met my boyfriend in high school when we were both 16 (I'm 19 now, he's 20). He was in the year above me and my friend Katie and I started hanging out with his group of friends because our friends were being twats. We were both too scared to ask each other 'out' because we're both so shy so we waited till our mutual friend had a party and we were both drunk and he asked me then. So classy ;) This was in May, 2010 when I was in year 11 and he was in year 12. When he graduated he wanted to spend a gap year working, and ended up working for my dad (is that weird? haha I don't know). Then when I graduated we both got into uni. Now we're both in our second year of uni & living together, and we still have the same group of friends.
Can you photoshop your life with better decisions, Jerry?

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evolve »

Freshman year of college - 2007 - at a party. We made out in a car and then never talked again for like a year and then reconnected. We were friends with benefits for a few months then stopped talking for a couple months and then got together for real real 3 years ago.

Post by Guest »

My fiancé and I went to the same university. We had the same major and everything BUT he was 5 years older than me so we never crossed paths! Fast forward 5 years later and we both meet each other at our job. We started dating shortly after I began working there. I guess I can thank our college for preparing us for careers in the field we studied lol.

Four years later, he asked me to marry him :) Our wedding will be something super low key next Spring, followed by a reception and honeymoon in Thailand (I also have family there)

JessieC
Learner
Learner

Post by JessieC »

All these stories are so lovely to read! <3

I met my boyfriend on Omegle in December 2011. We started speaking over text, phone and skype and it quickly progressed from a friendship into a relationship. We met in April 2012, and since then we meet once or twice a month as we live 200 miles apart. I would love to see him more than that but things like money, college and university come in the way. It doesn't help that train ticket prices have gone up either! I'm glad we both live in the United Kingdom though, I don't know how I'd cope if he lived in France, for example!

Jessica.Amber
Talker
Talker

Post by Jessica.Amber »

I have health problems that seriously affected my previous relationships, so I took a year off dating and focused on myself. At the end of the year, I decided to try online dating so I could meet people outside of the "murky pool" I was "fishing in" for many years. Well, I met a guy and we hit it off. We essentially spent everyday together for over 3 months. Twice a week he would sleep over at my house,and 4 times a week I would sleep over at his place; we spent one night apart each week because I like alone time and need my space. We were inseparable! About a week after we started dating, he introduced me to his best friend, Chris. We got along really well, so the 3 of us would hang out a few times a week. After a month or so, Chris and I started hanging out without my bf; he became my best friend, and it was a great time in my life... or so I thought. One night at like 3am, I found a pair of DIRTY panties that did NOT belong to me crumpled up in the sheets at the bottom of the bed. This was the night before Valentine's Day. Once I broke things off with my ex, Chris told me everything that had been going on... he had been cheating on me the whole time; He already had a gf before meeting me online, and he was dating us both simultaneously. She was really busy because she was in grad school, working full time, and doing internships. They only saw each other once a week... which happened to be on the day we spent apart. Chris hated keeping it all from me, and it caused a lot of fights between them; he's a really good guy.

The next morning (Valentine's Day) Chris stopped by before work and left a dozen pink tulips with a card on my doorstep. He wrote "I hope these help brighten your day" and didn't sign it... but I knew immediately that they were from him. That was the start of something great... we tried to just be friends because we knew it would be a huge mess, but we were too good of a match! Since then, there has been a lot of drama. He lost his best friend... the girl he was cheating on with me found out all about us, and she still bothers me to this day. She blames me instead of her shitty bf.

We've been dating for a year and 5 months :) We're moving in together as soon as we have enough $$$ saved up... most likely after Thanksgiving. He's the best boyfriend I've ever had, and we're already talking engagement and babies. I think he's "the one". We exchanged "I love you" rings around Valentine's Day of this year, and we wear them everyday. He wears his on his right hand so that it will be more meaningful when we get married and he wears his ring on his left. Here they are:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CoastinOnADream
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by CoastinOnADream »

Oh my gosh @Jessica.Amber! That story seems like a movie with a happy ending lol, made me smile to see everything worked out :) <3

Jessica.Amber
Talker
Talker

Post by Jessica.Amber »

CoastinOnADream wrote:Oh my gosh @Jessica.Amber! That story seems like a movie with a happy ending lol, made me smile to see everything worked out :) <3
Lol honestly it's awkward and embarrassing IMO... Only the people that were around when it all happened know exactly how we met, so I had to post it somewhere lol. It is definitely a happy ending, though. He's so so great. Like, I can't even tell you how great! The funny thing is that he's not even my "type" at all (he's a big nerd lol), and I would have never dated him if I'd met him any other way. By being friends, I saw who he truly was and fell for him. Things just have a way of working out sometimes :)

ItsRawrzz
Informer
Informer

Post by ItsRawrzz »

I met my current boyfriend after being invited over for a "film night" with a few friends at his place. We met up in groups a couple times and I was quite a shy'un. Some days we met for lunch after I was done with college, and we just seemed to connect pretty well. We did this for a few weeks and met up most days if I finished early :D

Well, some time later it was my friend's birthday and me, my friend, her other friend and Erik were going to go up to Alton Towers, but my mother didn't approve unless she got to meet him. He came over after this gig and was locked inside with my mother interrogating him, asking about his "intentions" and all that you-thought-it-only-happened-in-terrible-movies stuff. At the time we weren't together at all, but we were pretty close friends and my mother thought otherwise... with help from Mr. Wine lol.

Thankfully that didn't deter him and he asked me out (over the phone, simply because we weren't seeing each other for a while) whilst he was in line waiting for the COD Black Ops game thing (midnight release)... which I only found out about the following day. But he says it was one of the greatest days of his life.

It's almost three years, so I think so far it's going alright haha

Post by Guest »

@Jessica.Amber I loved your story! It sounds like a movie :) Im sorry the other woman still harasses you. It saddens me that she is blinded by your Ex's shitty actions. Anywho, it sounds like you're in a wonderful place and I'm so happy for you!

Diva.
Learner
Learner

Post by Diva. »

On a soccer forum. But I can bike to him in 10 min so it's not a LDR.

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

Omegle on November 2011. I just finished writing a post about this in the LDR thread, so I'll paste it here because I'm so lazy.

This is going to be a long one!

I met my boyfriend on Omegle at the end of 2011. I was only 15 at the time, he was 21 and in his last year of a combined philosophy and history degree at university. I know there's quite a difference there, haha. We weren't romantic instantly, but we quickly became very close friends and he was the one I went to for everything. I mostly liked how smart he was, and vice versa. Plus, just a month before we "met", I had started a philosophy class, so we had that in common too.

Both of us have had quite severe problems with mental health in the past. In January of this year, I was suicidal and I confided in him about it. After an all-nighter of talking about it, he asked me to move in with him. This isn't the thread for it, so I won't go into a huge essay about my situation etc., but basically I was in an abusive environment that ended up causing me to have to leave school, jeapordizing my ambitions, and I just didn't feel I could go on. So his idea was that a fresh start at life, far away from home, would fix that. His offer obviously wasn't just that I move in with him, but that he quite literally pays for the next two years of my life, seeing as I wouldn't be able to claim for anything substantial at my age (17 right now).

As crazy as it was, and with some hesitation, I agreed, and after a few failed tries at different areas, we settled on moving to Devon where some of his family are. I applied and got into a Grammar School and in July, I had an induction at it. So that's when we met for the first time.

That's when the romantic part started, and it was kind of expected because we knew we both liked each other but I still didn't expect it to go as fast as it did. I'm trying to keep this as short as I can, so I guess because of our ages and how this whole thing started etc. we probably seem really unstable, but I beg to differ. I'm actually really proud of us and the way it's all worked out.

I moved in a few days ago and I start school on the 4th. I moved from central Scotland to Devon which is on the south coast of England - it probably doesn't seem that far but it's far enough that I won't see my family again for years. It was scary, but not really. I have always felt like I've been "alone" in that house, so leaving the family environment wasn't too hard at all. Our flat is really nice and we're living pretty comfortably. I feel like a bad feminist for essentially living off him, of course, but I do intend to pay back my half of what he spends in these two years once I begin to earn money after uni. The rent and so on is paid already because I'm able to claim for some money (not enough to live off on my own, but enough for rent and spending money on stuff besides food) so I guess I'm not *entirely* dependent. Mosty I'm just thankful to him and will be for the rest of my life. And I can't believe such a life-changing relationship came from Omegle, haha!!

Diva.
Learner
Learner

Post by Diva. »

It's really nice to hear so! Also, the age difference might be big, but I can see how you come across as mature and all. I'm in the same boat, I'm seventeen but have been told I come across more mature than I actually am, partly because I've been through a lot, just like you (or so I imagine).

Madhatter42
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Madhatter42 »

This might turn out to be a bit of a novel so I apologize in advance haha
When I was a baby my parents lived in San Jose and we had these next door neighbors that they just loved. They had two sons, the oldest was my brothers age and the younger one my age. Well our neighbors ended up moving to Fresno and we moved up towards Modesto. Years went by and we slowly lost contact with them. In 2008 my dad passed away and I made a Facebook page in his memory. In 2011 Our old neighbors ended up finding it and got in contact with my mom and the wife called my mom and they talked for awhile. After they got done talking my mom was telling me about how the older son Justin was a senior in high school and being curious I looked him up on Facebook and I just thought he was such a hottie and of course I told my mom I thought that. Well she told his mom that I thought he was a cutie and then he added me on Facebook. We started talking and then we skyped a few times but we slowly started talking less and he ended up getting a girlfriend and I started dating this other guy. 2 years later (the beginning of this year) mine and previous boyfriends relationship was very toxic and we were on and off. Well I was getting ready to graduate high school and I sent Justin's family an invite to my graduation party, the night before my graduation he messaged me on Facebook and told me congrats an said to text him. So two days later I text him and he told me he couldn't make it to my graduation party but we made plans for me to come visit him for the day the day after my party. 3 days before my graduation I ended up getting into a huge fight with a family member and I left my house and I called him crying and he gave me really good advice that ended up saving my relationship with my family. Right after that I completely cut off all contact with my ex because for some reason I just felt like I wanted to be with Justin. When I finally went down to visit him we just completely hit it off and I stayed the night( so I didnt have to drive back at night) and since then we've been inseparable. He's the first guy that I feel like Im completely comfortable around. We can act like bestfriends, we can be completely goofy or serious and he's so romantic. When they say when you meet the one you just know, they aren't kidding <3

MamatoanAngel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MamatoanAngel »

My dad died when I was 5, shortly after we moved, and moved in next to a sweet little boy.We called each other boyfriend/girlfriend and spent all of our time together haha. We grew up together and went to the same school, he was in a higher grade.There was a group of 6 of us who had a blast and all lived on the same street. He moved when he was about 11, and I did as well.We didn't talk again, untill I was about 16. We both spent our life growing up without each other,wondering if our little childhood romance was real,or weird,and if the other person remembered.

He messaged me on facebook when I was 16, nothing came of it as we were both dating someone </3 We didn't really talk again untill I was 18.He messaged "jokingly" asking me to be his date to prom, I didn't think he was serious, and had a boyfriend anyway!.Again,nothing came of it and we stopped talking.

It's a small town, we always saw each other around,I always found myself staring at him when he'd walk by.Wondering why he was staring back,insecure thinking he wasn't into me, and that's why he hadn't bothered with me ;)

Fast forward many years of lonely sighs,daydreams over the boy I once knew. I was 21, and at a bar (LOL don't judge)! Currently, a couple of guys were attempting to talk to me and buy me a drink, I wasn't interested,bored,and about to leave. Then HE walked in.My heart started pounding as it always did, he looked at me, but walked by. I spotted him at the bar,getting himself a drink.He kept looking at over me,I was so nervous.I hadn't seen him in years.

I looked up and noticed he was walking straight towards me,I seriously could.not.breathe. We talked for a bit,and then he had to leave with his boys ;) My friends and I got pizza after, and of course we ran into him as he was coming out..I remember his friend screamed back "Mike's in love with you, but he's too stupid to say it" and he punched him haha.

A few weeks went by, and I noticed he kept coming into my work a lot, buying stupid things, I knew it was an excuse to talk to me again ;)

A few months later, I was again at the bar (Not an alcoholic I SWEAR lmao) And he showed up,and came straight to me. I asked him if he comes here often, and he said never, he just saw me across the street and couldn't resist.We spent the entire night talking until close,then he walked me home,and we talked until 5am. I was totally hooked,just as I always had been.

We confessed we both spent our entire lives thinking about each other, wondering about our childhood crush,spent our teen years wishing to be together.He admitted how jealous he was every time he'd see me with a boyfriend haha.

After a few months of getting to know each other again,and eventually dating, we've know been together for almost 2 years,we went through the fullterm stillbirth of our first child, and now we're pregnant with our second.

He's amazing,love is amazing, and I can honestly say I've loved him since I was just 5 years old. We were meant to be, and we both knew it, we were just too afraid to admit it. :love2:

JessieC
Learner
Learner

Post by JessieC »

HattieChaos wrote:Omegle on November 2011. I just finished writing a post about this in the LDR thread, so I'll paste it here because I'm so lazy.

This is going to be a long one!

I met my boyfriend on Omegle at the end of 2011. I was only 15 at the time, he was 21 and in his last year of a combined philosophy and history degree at university. I know there's quite a difference there, haha. We weren't romantic instantly, but we quickly became very close friends and he was the one I went to for everything. I mostly liked how smart he was, and vice versa. Plus, just a month before we "met", I had started a philosophy class, so we had that in common too.

Both of us have had quite severe problems with mental health in the past. In January of this year, I was suicidal and I confided in him about it. After an all-nighter of talking about it, he asked me to move in with him. This isn't the thread for it, so I won't go into a huge essay about my situation etc., but basically I was in an abusive environment that ended up causing me to have to leave school, jeapordizing my ambitions, and I just didn't feel I could go on. So his idea was that a fresh start at life, far away from home, would fix that. His offer obviously wasn't just that I move in with him, but that he quite literally pays for the next two years of my life, seeing as I wouldn't be able to claim for anything substantial at my age (17 right now).

As crazy as it was, and with some hesitation, I agreed, and after a few failed tries at different areas, we settled on moving to Devon where some of his family are. I applied and got into a Grammar School and in July, I had an induction at it. So that's when we met for the first time.

That's when the romantic part started, and it was kind of expected because we knew we both liked each other but I still didn't expect it to go as fast as it did. I'm trying to keep this as short as I can, so I guess because of our ages and how this whole thing started etc. we probably seem really unstable, but I beg to differ. I'm actually really proud of us and the way it's all worked out.

I moved in a few days ago and I start school on the 4th. I moved from central Scotland to Devon which is on the south coast of England - it probably doesn't seem that far but it's far enough that I won't see my family again for years. It was scary, but not really. I have always felt like I've been "alone" in that house, so leaving the family environment wasn't too hard at all. Our flat is really nice and we're living pretty comfortably. I feel like a bad feminist for essentially living off him, of course, but I do intend to pay back my half of what he spends in these two years once I begin to earn money after uni. The rent and so on is paid already because I'm able to claim for some money (not enough to live off on my own, but enough for rent and spending money on stuff besides food) so I guess I'm not *entirely* dependent. Mosty I'm just thankful to him and will be for the rest of my life. And I can't believe such a life-changing relationship came from Omegle, haha!!

You are so similar to me! I met my boyfriend on Omegle when I was 15 and he was 21, and he lives in Scotland :) You are so brave for moving all the way down south, good on you though. That last sentence just sums it all up for me! Congratulations on your lovely relationship <3

Return to “Relationships”