Pixiwoo GENERAL THREAD

amakeupaddict
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pixiwoo GENERAL THREAD

Post by amakeupaddict »

FAKEBLOOD wrote:I also love how Nic said that makeup needs something to stick to after talking about that exfoliating product. Um, what? That's what a primer is for, Ms. Makeup Artist.

Caroline Hirons is full of crap. Nobody should be taking skincare advice from her. She isn't a scientist. She isn't a dermatologist. She's just "in the industry". People who sell $40 face washes at Lancôme counters are also "in the industry". It doesn't mean anything.

Anyone that knows anything about skincare will tell you that jar packaging is a huge no-no — especially if the product contains state-of-the-art ingredients like antioxidants (which begin to deteriorate/destabilize the second the jar is opened, through exposure to air and light), cell-communicating ingredients, and skin-identical ingredients. Eye creams don't work -- simple as that. That Serozinc toner by La Roche-Posay is a bad product off the bat because it contains zinc sulfate, which causes doesn't do anything but irritate the skin (there are several articles in dermatological journals to substantiate this - ref: Acta Dermato-Venereologica, 1990, vol. 154, Supplemental, pp. 1–36). The EH cleansing balm is full of irritating plant botanicals (coconut oil would take off makeup just as easily and is better for the skin). I haven't looked up the ingredients in that Zelens face cream, but even if it contains great ingredients, which I doubt, it's in a jar. I also have no idea what is in that P50V product, but I noticed a lot of people in the comments saying they can't use it because it burns their skin (your skincare shouldn't burn... that's pretty self-explanatory). Nic said that it smells like vinegar, also... first of all that's disgusting, and second, it may contain acetic acid, which is a drying ingredient (great choice for your dry and dehydrated skin, Nic), and an irritant, despite its ability to disinfect. And where was the sunblock? This woman is supposed to be the authority on skincare and yet failed to recommend a product to protect Nic's skin against the single entity that damages it the most!? Unbelievable.

I could go on, but I think you guys get the point.

Skincare doesn't have to be expensive for it to be effective. In fact, I've found (through my near-10 years in researching the skin at the cellular level) that the best products are actually very inexpensive. The best things to remember when it comes to skincare are: don't use products that are packaged in jars (go for tubes and airtight pump packaging), ONLY use fragrance-free products, use products that contain skin-identical ingredients (examples: niacinamide, hyaluronic acid), cell-communicating ingredients (examples: retinol, phospholipids, adenosine triphosphate, peptides), use the gentlest cleanser you can get your hands on (I love the CeraVe foaming facial cleanser), stay away from products that contain alcohol/SD alcohol, and when it comes to exfoliating, you don't need a scrub – use your cleanser with a wash cloth if you want a physical exfoliation -- however, your best bet, and the more sophisticated method of exfoliation, is through alpha- and beta hydroxy acids.
Wow someone dares to challenge the wisdom of the almighty Caroline Hirons! I wish someone would start a thread on her.

Fluff
Informer
Informer

Post by Fluff »

Ok, have I been being naive for the past year of my life, reading Caroline's blog? I have I say, my skin improved SO MUCH from doing the things she recommended. I've always been a bit wary of her stance in SPF and I remember once she said people should buy a use a brand new flannel every day which seemed a little bit environmentally irresponsible. @FAKEBLOOD, as the person above said, someone needs to start a thread in her. Im afraid i dont have eniugh skin care knowledge to question her. Like I've said, my skin's improved so much from following Caroline's advice, but I think it's always good to hear differing opinions.

And to stay on topic:

Ugh, Sam and Nic's quality just seems to be ever deteriorating.

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

amakeupaddict wrote:
FAKEBLOOD wrote:I also love how Nic said that makeup needs something to stick to after talking about that exfoliating product. Um, what? That's what a primer is for, Ms. Makeup Artist.

Caroline Hirons is full of crap. Nobody should be taking skincare advice from her. She isn't a scientist. She isn't a dermatologist. She's just "in the industry". People who sell $40 face washes at Lancôme counters are also "in the industry". It doesn't mean anything.

Anyone that knows anything about skincare will tell you that jar packaging is a huge no-no — especially if the product contains state-of-the-art ingredients like antioxidants (which begin to deteriorate/destabilize the second the jar is opened, through exposure to air and light), cell-communicating ingredients, and skin-identical ingredients. Eye creams don't work -- simple as that. That Serozinc toner by La Roche-Posay is a bad product off the bat because it contains zinc sulfate, which causes doesn't do anything but irritate the skin (there are several articles in dermatological journals to substantiate this - ref: Acta Dermato-Venereologica, 1990, vol. 154, Supplemental, pp. 1–36). The EH cleansing balm is full of irritating plant botanicals (coconut oil would take off makeup just as easily and is better for the skin). I haven't looked up the ingredients in that Zelens face cream, but even if it contains great ingredients, which I doubt, it's in a jar. I also have no idea what is in that P50V product, but I noticed a lot of people in the comments saying they can't use it because it burns their skin (your skincare shouldn't burn... that's pretty self-explanatory). Nic said that it smells like vinegar, also... first of all that's disgusting, and second, it may contain acetic acid, which is a drying ingredient (great choice for your dry and dehydrated skin, Nic), and an irritant, despite its ability to disinfect. And where was the sunblock? This woman is supposed to be the authority on skincare and yet failed to recommend a product to protect Nic's skin against the single entity that damages it the most!? Unbelievable.

Skincare doesn't have to be expensive for it to be effective. In fact, I've found (through my near-10 years in researching the skin at the cellular level) that the best products are actually very inexpensive. The best things to remember when it comes to skincare are: don't use products that are packaged in jars (go for tubes and airtight pump packaging), ONLY use fragrance-free products, use products that contain skin-identical ingredients (examples: niacinamide, hyaluronic acid), cell-communicating ingredients (examples: retinol, phospholipids, adenosine triphosphate, peptides), use the gentlest cleanser you can get your hands on (I love the CeraVe foaming facial cleanser), stay away from products that contain alcohol/SD alcohol, and when it comes to exfoliating, you don't need a scrub – use your cleanser with a wash cloth if you want a physical exfoliation -- however, your best bet, and the more sophisticated method of exfoliation, is through alpha- and beta hydroxy acids.
Wow someone dares to challenge the wisdom of the almighty Caroline Hirons! I wish someone would start a thread on her.
I've never heard of this Caroline person until today, I'd be curious to know a bit more about her. If a thread is created let us know.

theeyes
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by theeyes »

I agree that not everything that caroline says should be taken as gospel and i hate that some bloggers do that and only take her word for everything skin care related but i think quite a lot of what you have said is not 100% truth. Your evidence for la roche posey serozinc has come straight from paula's choice website (i am half way through a research degree in psychology) and if you were in research you should know that a study completed 23 years ago unless it has been updated and there has been further research into it is COMPLETELY INVLAID and more than several articles need to be used to for evidence for your point. However i do agree with some of your points especially what ingredients to stay away from

FAKEBLOOD
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FAKEBLOOD »

Biba girl wrote:FAKEBLOOD, do YOU have a youtube channel?? I'd subscribe to yours! :D
Awww, thank you! I've thought about it in the past, but I honestly don't have the time (or the money to spend on good equipment for filming). In the meantime I can just drop my advice around here when requested. ;)
lips wrote:Actually the skin doesn't absorb mineral oil as Caroline pointed out in the video..Unlike organic plant derived oils which sound like something I'd rather put on my skin.

Petro chemicals yuck! :(

Thanks but no thanks. ;)
I think what she actually meant was that since mineral oil does not absorb (there is still conflicting research about the nature of this, re: skin barrier function, cellular respiration, gas exchange, etc.) it cannot deliver ingredients into the skin. And she is wrong about that, too, because it's too blunt of a statement to make. Even the most anhydrous moisturizers typically have a "delivery vehicle/mechanism" — a molecule(s) [e.g., liposomes, lipid nanoparticles, propylene glycol, etc.] borne in the product that encapsulates the active ingredients. These delivery vehicles are able to transverse the skin and deliver the actives to targeted areas. It's also important to remember that just because something is "organic", or "natural" (organic plant-derived oils, as you said), doesn't necessarily mean it is better for the skin (and in most cases, these extracts from plants are irritating, and can induce cell death).
amakeupaddict wrote:Wow someone dares to challenge the wisdom of the almighty Caroline Hirons! I wish someone would start a thread on her.
Damn right!
theeyes wrote:I agree that not everything that caroline says should be taken as gospel and i hate that some bloggers do that and only take her word for everything skin care related but i think quite a lot of what you have said is not 100% truth. Your evidence for la roche posey serozinc has come straight from paula's choice website (i am half way through a research degree in psychology) and if you were in research you should know that a study completed 23 years ago unless it has been updated and there has been further research into it is COMPLETELY INVLAID and more than several articles need to be used to for evidence for your point. However i do agree with some of your points especially what ingredients to stay away from
Welcome to the forum.

You're absolutely right; I wasn't trying to hide that. You make it seem like I was trying to be sneaky or something. I own all of Paula Begoun's reference books, as their ingredient indices are phenomenal and easily referenced (which is why I included it here, for simplicity's sake).

Congrats on your research degree, whatever that is. Your point about discrediting/invalidating old research articles is laughable (23 years is not old for a research study of the nature the one I cited is). If you are half-way through this research degree of yours, you should know that you can't simply consider articles (especially those rigorously employing the scientific method, and using double-blind trials like the one I cited) that produce statistically-significant results throwaways, due to their age. I have an honours bachelor of science degree in Biology and Neuroscience from the University of Toronto. I have assisted three cosmetic chemists as part of internship opportunities in the past, and I am currently a research assistant for a neurobiologist who studies schizophrenia, and a data analyst for a large manufacturing company -- so please don't try to duke it out with me on this whole "if you were into research" nonsense. I can find you countless articles in dermatological journals on how zinc sulfate may only be effective for specific skin lesions as an ORAL medication for those already deficient in it (and in a lot of these studies, the side effects—the most common being excruciating nausea—of taking zinc sulfate orally are so severe that participants end up dropping out of the study).

Here is an excerpt from the National Pollutant Inventory website operated by the Australian government regarding zinc sulfate:

Zinc sulfate is astringent and corrosive to skin, and can cause dermatitis, boils, conjunctivitis, gastrointestinal disturbances, vomiting, cramps, renal damage, and inflammation of the pancreas through blood (haemorrhagic pancreatitis).
Sounds great for a skincare product, right?

The research article from Acta Dermato-Venereologica is a comparison of the topical application of zinc oxide vs. zinc sulfate to treat lesions on the leg. Zinc oxide was shown to have a positive effect in healing (decreasing inflammation and bacterial growth, and promoting re-epithelialization), whereas three different concentrations of zinc sulfate had absolutely no effect:

Zinc sulfate at three different concentrations did not, however, result in this beneficial effect on the resurfacing of wounds. The inflammatory reaction was diminished in zinc treated wounds except when a high zinc sulfate concentration was applied.
Caroline Hirons also recommended that Sam use a moisturizer that contains shocking amounts of camphor. Camphor is derived from the wood of an evergreen tree, and it causes local irritation to the skin, as it easily transverses it (as well as mucous membranes and the placenta, which is especially dangerous in pregnant women if ingested). The respiratory tract is also very sensitive to the action of camphor [Ref: Southern Medical Journal, 93(6), 2000 -- sorry, theeyes, is that too old of a reference for you?] . Why would you want to put something like that on your face? Ask Caroline! She's the expert after all! I read the notes of someone who went to a skincare seminar given by Caroline Hirons (I'm flabbergasted that someone would pay money for that), and in this seminar she said some of the most untrue and outlandish things I've ever heard (one of my favourites was that the nose secretes some kind of specific/special oil that causes acne). Unbelievable.

--

I would suggest only reading Caroline's blog if you want to see what new products look like. The skincare advice she gives that isn't hilariously stupid (e.g., take your makeup off at night) is common knowledge stuff. Her advice on products is biased and uninformed, and she is very irresponsible about passing this information, if you can call it that, along to her readers.

___

Now, before we get in trouble by the mods, I suggest we get back to talking about Pixiwoo.

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Pixiepink »

.. Back to pixiwoo, Nic's new blonder hair, thoughts?

Image Image

Fadia Fiji
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Fadia Fiji »

pulling a kandee johnson?
she looks 10000 times better brunette

kathpt
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kathpt »

Straight hair doesn't suit her and that color does nothing for her complexion.

theeyes
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by theeyes »

FAKEBLOOD i don't really want to get into this with you because we are getting of topic so this is the last comment i will make about it however i would like to thank you for your warm welcome and i would like to point that that i didn't disagree with everything you were saying however i do find it strange that when talking about zinc sulphate was exactly the same as what was written on paula choice website as well as the exact same reference which coincidentally when trying to find that particular reference i could only find it on the paula choice website. Also the fact you you are trying to discredit everything i was saying by asking me about my degree was laughable and i would like to point out that i have a bachelors degree in psychology and am now completing a master degree of research on psychobiology of food. However i would also say that maybe in your research 23 years is not entirely valid however you should know that things change over years that why research is constantly being updated or else there would be no need to update research. (PS from my background in behaviour, yours is lolworthy)

back on topic i don't really mind nic's new hair however i don't think i've ever seen it styles nice at all.

ohnoshebetterdont
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ohnoshebetterdont »

I'm not here nor there for Nic's hair...
It can get really awkward (read: ugly) when she has got regrowth & she slicks her hair back like a maniac like she always does...
#BYEFELICIA

FAKEBLOOD
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FAKEBLOOD »

theeyes wrote:FAKEBLOOD i don't really want to get into this with you because we are getting of topic so this is the last comment i will make about it however i would like to thank you for your warm welcome and i would like to point that that i didn't disagree with everything you were saying however i do find it strange that when talking about zinc sulphate was exactly the same as what was written on paula choice website as well as the exact same reference which coincidentally when trying to find that particular reference i could only find it on the paula choice website. Also the fact you you are trying to discredit everything i was saying by asking me about my degree was laughable and i would like to point out that i have a bachelors degree in psychology and am now completing a master degree of research on psychobiology of food. However i would also say that maybe in your research 23 years is not entirely valid however you should know that things change over years that why research is constantly being updated or else there would be no need to update research. (PS from my background in behaviour, yours is lolworthy)

back on topic i don't really mind nic's new hair however i don't think i've ever seen it styles nice at all.
I was talking about zinc sulfate with someone else recently, so the information as I worded it was already in my immediate memory; I just had to locate and type out the reference (which, as I said, was retrieved from an early edition of a Paula Begoun book -- if you want to read the article in full, you can google the journal—Acta Dermato-Venereologica—and search its volumes, which is exactly what I did to get the quote in my previous post). I wasn't trying to discredit you at all. You said that my citation of an article was "completely invalid", because the article was published in 1990, and then acted all haughty, pointing out that you're half-way through a research degree, and that I must not be in the research field as I claimed. I wasn't going to let that remark go unacknowledged. If a 50-year-old study had said that zinc sulfate, when tested topically to treat acne, made 100% of the participants' faces melt off, would you want to repeat that study after the fact, just to see if "things changed"? I don't think so. It's a silly example, but that's really what you're getting at. All I'm saying is that when a double-blind study that strictly adhered to the scientific process produced statistically significant results, you can't just ignore them or call them "completely invalid", as you did, because the study was conducted 23 years ago. I am well-aware that the fields of biology, psychology, etc., are dynamic and are therefore ever-changing, but that doesn't pertain to this specific issue. I'm not going to be bothered if you don't see this the same way I do. And I apologize if you find my "behaviour" unsavoury. As an academic yourself, you should know that when our intelligence is tested we overcompensate. That's life, I'm afraid. No hard feelings.

___

Back on topic -- I don't like Nic's hair. I think it ages her 10 years, easy.

poopraker
Learner
Learner

Post by poopraker »

AHHH thank you! i have been waiting for someone to call her out. it's so annoying that everyone in the UK is saying how groundbreaking this woman is, and i even don't know much about skincare and i didn't agree with what she was saying. she doesn't seem like she knows anything about skincare. the worst is that she says that you have to spend soooo much money to look good. when she said "i spend my money on my face" and mentioned some cream she used that was sooo expensive, and not to be mean but her skin didn't look like anything special? i actually thought she was older than she was. how did this woman become famous anyway?

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Pixiepink »

Guys if you wish to specially discuss Caroline Hirons/Skincare then please make separate thread, or utilize the pm function to furthur your discussions .. It just makes things easier for us without the mods having to intervene in the threads.

amakeupaddict
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by amakeupaddict »

I've created a Caroline Hirons thread here ;)

Riko69
Talker
Talker

Post by Riko69 »

Nic's hair: No no no! :(

Ages her and the color does nothing for her and looks like made by a cheap hairdresser. Sorry to be harsh, but she looks SO MUCH nicer with the darkbrown hair.

Riko69
Talker
Talker

Post by Riko69 »

Maybe she needs her own identity?( but can't she have that with brown hair even if Sam has it?), but I still think her new hair looks grey and not done in a very nice way, but maybe it's just a step on the way to get more blonde? That she needs to go slowly with the blonde highlights and get it done over a lots of times, but right now I think it looks grey and sad.

wunderkind
Talker
Talker

Post by wunderkind »

I agree, her hair looks more grey than blond. And I think the eyebrows will look way more harsh with a blond hair. I used to find her so pretty, but it's been a while I don't feel the same way, I mostly hate the way she's been styling her hair (the babyliss ends) not really flattering imo.

wunderkind
Talker
Talker

Post by wunderkind »

Sorry for spamming the thread, but I just watched the BRONZER MASTERCLASS (?!) by Sam on the Daily Mix Channel ... WTF were those awful freckles ? First, the model doesn't look like she would naturally freckle. What Sam calls freckles I think are sunspots, and they are result of excessive sun exposure, not flattering at all. I live in a very sunny place and no matter how I try to avoid now, I had my tanning days when I was younger and those spots are a pain to get rid of.
I think natural freckles are adorable but those dots on the model's face look anything but cute.

Shinichi
Talker
Talker

Post by Shinichi »

I think Nic's face is too hard for blonde.

And the bronzer tutorial was utter poop.

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Pixiepink »

I understand this was for a photoshoot but it just looks awful. I don't know why they bothered making this a 'tutorial,' besides does anyone actually read that pixiwoo magazine??

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “Pixiwoo”