MakeupGeekTV: the nicest guru

MagicianGirl22
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MakeupGeekTV: the nicest guru

Post by MagicianGirl22 »

I LOVE Marlena! she is so nice and i am so happy for her success, after what she has been through good for her <3
I know she is a business woman and that she sells her own stuff but at least it's her own company and her stuff she promotes and to shit from some company like for example Kandee who just promotes L'oreal because she gets free stuff and money from them. Marlena put hard work into her company and i wish i could buy some eyeshadows (international location witch though taxes)

shermansown

Re: the nicest guru

Post by shermansown »

EllaBlue wrote:My problem with this is that it does not work both ways. A thin guru posting an OOTD and Marlena posting videos that target a specific body type are NOT the same. There's no way a slim girl could ever post a "Fashion for Skinny People" video and get away with it. Try to imagine the rants that would attract!

Also, it just doesn't make sense to me, brand-wise. For someone as business-minded as Marlena appears to be, you'd think she would realize that by specificially targeting heavy girls, she's alienating a large part of her audience. As someone who has always been teeny-tiny, seeing multiple videos and blogs "For the Curvy Girl" really sends me the message that I'm wasting my time watching/reading that post, that I need to go elsewhere.
OK so I know this is old, but it makes sense to label something like this when it is different from 99% of what is in the marketplace. I don't know how you haven't noticed this, but "fashion for skinny people" is pretty much just called "fashion." Anything made for a different body type is labeled as such.

apple197
Learner
Learner

Post by apple197 »

I love her and if I had a makeup line I'd be pimpin my shit too. I think she deserves all her success. A lot of these gurus spent so much time reviewing other products so why shouldn't they sell their own? I would be damn proud if I was able to sell my own business whether it be makeup, nail polish, clothes, accessories or whatever it may be.

BebeSwan
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by BebeSwan »

Just recently I've become very impressed with her MakeupGeek eye shadows. The prices are affordable (drugstore prices) and the swatches I've seen in yt reviews are sooo much better than Michelle Phan's patchy over priced eyeshadows.

Personally I think they are priced well, worth the few extra bucks over Coastal Scents but significantly cheaper than MAC. And easy to buy in pans and put into a Z palette.

I like how her shadows weren't forced on all the gurus a la Michelle Phan ugly Life Palettes.

chattycathy
Informer
Informer

Post by chattycathy »

I appreciate that she helps dressing for curvy girls/not STICK THIN. I can't relate to teenage skinny girls. Sure, I could buy the same clothes in bigger sizes but that doesn't mean it will actually flatter my body shape. Good on her for stepping outside of the box. It takes guts to show your body on camera, especially when you are bigger.

oh,please
Talker
Talker

Post by oh,please »

Except she knows nothing about fashion or about how to dress to enhance your shape. To the contrary, she advocates outfits that exaggerate all her flaws rather than camouflaging them, and minimize her assets. The latest one, with the too-tight jeans and the boots outside them cutting her off at the hips focuses your eyes right smack on the part of her body she claims she wants to hide: her hips and thighs. And she does have thunder thighs. This only makes them look bigger, it makes the rest of her body look smaller so they look even larger than they are proportionately, and to top it off, it's a dated look. There are people who are brilliant at dressing to make the best of their bodies -- Sam of Pixiwoo is a perfect example. Marlena just looks cheap, and more and more so all the time. It's a shame because she could be beautiful. But she's lost her way.

DarlingDear
Debater
Debater

Post by DarlingDear »

I don't understand why people hate on her for being business minded and saying its all about the money...this is how she makes her living.you wouldn't get mad at your doctor for getting paid for giving you a check up, so same thing with youtube. and at least she has good products that are worth buying, do you want her to give everything away for free...lol I don't understand

BebeSwan
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by BebeSwan »

I've been seeing great reviews of her eyeshadows from people who paid for them with their own money. She has a new palette out as well. Her products seem very affordable, drugstore prices. I have no problem with that!

CanadianChica
Informer
Informer

Post by CanadianChica »

Her blushes and eyeshadows are awesome, and I paid for them, Im not on YT and I dont know her. I love her videos and I think she is gorgeous! She reminds me of a bigger Kim K in looks and I think Kim is gorgeous too. I love listening to Marlena, something about her voice is so soothing to me.

toph_bei_fong
Learner
Learner

Post by toph_bei_fong »

DarlingDear wrote:I don't understand why people hate on her for being business minded and saying its all about the money...this is how she makes her living.you wouldn't get mad at your doctor for getting paid for giving you a check up, so same thing with youtube. and at least she has good products that are worth buying, do you want her to give everything away for free...lol I don't understand
I don't understand this either. I'm happy for her because she and her brand are trustworthy, and because she is serious about improving her skills and her products. I wonder if the people criticizing her and the same people willing to call Michelle "Walking Billboard" Phan a "genius" while overlooking the fact that she's blindly selling herself to the highest bidder and without purpose, lol.

FatalFlaw
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FatalFlaw »

Congrats to Marlena and Cocoa Bear on their engagement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toph_bei_fong
Learner
Learner

Post by toph_bei_fong »

I didn't know they got engaged! Awesome. I don't know much about him, but he seems nice and they are very cute together.

z_kramaric

Post by z_kramaric »

I hope they're going to have a nice marriage, even though I haven't watched any of her videos with him :1+1: A lot of people get divorced nowadays, and she's already got divorced, so I hope it isn't going to be like that this time. And my favourite video of hers would be How To Feel Pretty In An Ugly World, it has a great message :love2: :tu:

laceyloves26
Learner
Learner

Post by laceyloves26 »

I really love Marlena. She's amazing. She changed her life so much, escaped and abusive marriage and now is happy healthy and with her fiance who treats her like GOLD!! :love2: :love2: :respekt:

gossipgenius
Lurker
Lurker

Post by gossipgenius »

laceyloves26 wrote:I really love Marlena. She's amazing. She changed her life so much, escaped and abusive marriage and now is happy healthy and with her fiance who treats her like GOLD!! :love2: :love2: :respekt:
How do you know she was in an abusive marriage? Her ex-husband, Nick, is the business manager for MUG. I can't imagine her still working with him if they had that kind of relationship. Did she ever talk about that?

achlys
Talker
Talker

Post by achlys »

BebeSwan wrote:Just recently I've become very impressed with her MakeupGeek eye shadows. The prices are affordable (drugstore prices) and the swatches I've seen in yt reviews are sooo much better than Michelle Phan's patchy over priced eyeshadows.

Personally I think they are priced well, worth the few extra bucks over Coastal Scents but significantly cheaper than MAC. And easy to buy in pans and put into a Z palette.

I like how her shadows weren't forced on all the gurus a la Michelle Phan ugly Life Palettes.
this x2

I think Marlena really does try to put out a product that she likes and that is good quality. She's been very receptive to feedback in the past. When she released the sparklers (I think? It was either them or loose pigments) and they were released without sifters, she discounted her products until she was able to produce the ones with sifters because so many people requested it. She doesn't try to act like she's perfect and she can admit when she makes a mistake and fixes it. I think that shows a lot of integrity, imo.

Post by Guest »

laceyloves26 wrote:I really love Marlena. She's amazing. She changed her life so much, escaped and abusive marriage and now is happy healthy and with her fiance who treats her like GOLD!! :love2: :love2: :respekt:
yes! i'm so glad she's doing great :love2: <3

lavienrose
Stalker
Stalker

Post by lavienrose »

Her authenticity is refreshing. I appreciate her candor and wish more people had the same morality.

ChicagoFlavoredPetty
Talker
Talker

Post by ChicagoFlavoredPetty »

I like that she's making old school make up tutorials again, even if the viewership isn't there anymore.

Return to “MakeupGeekTV”