CrushingOnChic.com (Blair's new blog)

chasingxsunlight
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: CrushingOnChic.com (Blair's new blog)

Post by chasingxsunlight »

Back to Blair... I'm not surprised at all that she abandoned the blog basically. This girl can not commit to anything. It's a miracle her and sawyer even dated as long as they did. (Sorry for the double post, just getting back on topic!!)

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

One comment on the college thing: I have a degree and it doesn't make me feel any more useful than I would have felt before. My degree didn't actually teach me how to do anything. It felt more like extended highschool. So simply going to college has nothing to do with usefulness and how much college actually helps has a great deal to do with what you major in and the job situation in your area. I am actually envious of people who didn't spend tons of money going to school and still managed to find a good job to support themselves.

bspatrol
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bspatrol »

I went to college and graduate school and the economy is tough but I will never regret my education. I guess it was good, if for anything, just to feel I accomplished something with an end result. I get that there are people who have never gone to college and make a ton of money (if you do sales or start your own business) but I find that having a college education is good life experience. I would never judge someone who decided not to go but I would always encourage people to get a degree if they asked me. As far as Elle, I just think it's stupid she went so far and then ditched graduating or following through. Sure she didn't need to financially but it's just lame to me. I think Blair should go just to get life experience and get some sort of structure. But I get that she probably won't and will be fine financially.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

bspatrol wrote:I went to college and graduate school and the economy is tough but I will never regret my education. I guess it was good, if for anything, just to feel I accomplished something with an end result. I get that there are people who have never gone to college and make a ton of money (if you do sales or start your own business) but I find that having a college education is good life experience. I would never judge someone who decided not to go but I would always encourage people to get a degree if they asked me. As far as Elle, I just think it's stupid she went so far and then ditched graduating or following through. Sure she didn't need to financially but it's just lame to me. I think Blair should go just to get life experience and get some sort of structure. But I get that she probably won't and will be fine financially.
Yeah I'm not trying to discourage people from going. A lot of good things came from going to school over the years. Now I just find myself in debt with only a part-time job. If you're going to school, just make sure to major in something that will make you more employable by the time you leave school or consider going to a community college or smaller school in order to save money.

Do you think Elle got overwhelmed with something about school or just decided to leave? Quitting was one thing I was determined to never do. It felt really good to finish what I started. I'm with you on that.

Libra
Informer
Informer

Post by Libra »

The college experience is relative.
For some it's a beautiful, positive, life shaping experience, that educates and disciplines them. For others it's an experience they could've done with or without. Especially since many of them leave enslaved to loans for the next 5+ years with low job prospects. Many leave college as a similar people to before just with a degree and having read a few more books. Look at Elle, no she didn't graduate but she went for quite some time and is still well.... lol :D
I'm not saying it can't be valuable or good experience. I'm actually in college.
I don't think they made a bad decision to focus on their "brand". Truthfully, if youtube and all their sponsorship disappeared tomorrow, they would be able to get jobs in the magazine or beauty/commercial fashion industry faster and over many PR, business, journalism and fashion industry related degree holders. That kind of experience and connections are valuable.

byebyebye1

Post by byebyebye1 »

Lumi wrote:She finally updated her blog! ...To tell us that we should all spend 50 bucks in Macy's to get a free copy of their new book.
are you serious?! :-x

Lumi
Informer
Informer

Post by Lumi »

bspatrol
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bspatrol »

srqnative wrote:That's awesome that you went to college and you feel it was good life experience and you'd encourage everyone to go but unfortunately, college is not an option for everyone and it's not because they don't want to. (I like you bspatrol so don't take this as snarky as it sounds lol)
no worries. i wasn't offended even before I read your last sentence. too funny. :D

bspatrol
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bspatrol »

lol what garbage.

bvajne
Talker
Talker

Post by bvajne »

byebyebye1 wrote:i would feel so useless and dumb if I had nothing more than a high school degree.
Fuck that, and fuck you. Some people don't go to college, it doesn't make them "useless and dumb". The classism on this site is horrendous.[/quote][/quote]

It's a matter a preference. Sure, some people cannot afford to go have a higher education, but certainly Blair has the money and it was her choice not to go. I would be ashamed if I would have the money, but then decided to spend it on a new mercedes, a brand new condo and some new chanel bags...

Also, lets not forget that these items will lose it's value, but a higher education doesn't. When she stops youtube (probably in the near future) she will have nothing to show for. A high school graduate, in this economy is worthy for working at a phone call centre. (no offence to anyone working there)

Hate me all you want, but this is what I think. :HK:
English is not my first language

bvajne
Talker
Talker

Post by bvajne »

bvajne wrote:
byebyebye1 wrote:i would feel so useless and dumb if I had nothing more than a high school degree.
Fuck that, and fuck you. Some people don't go to college, it doesn't make them "useless and dumb". The classism on this site is horrendous.
It's a matter a preference. Sure, some people cannot afford to go have a higher education, but certainly Blair has the money and it was her choice not to go. I would be ashamed if I would have the money, but then decided to spend it on a new mercedes, a brand new condo and some new chanel bags...

Also, lets not forget that these items will lose it's value, but a higher education won't. When she stops youtube (probably in the near future) she will have nothing to show for. A high school graduate, in this economy is worthy for working at a phone call centre. (no offence to anyone working there)

Nadezhda
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Nadezhda »

In some ways I agree, but tbh prospective employers value experience much more than a degree. With all that Blair has achieved, she could definitely get a job once youtube dries up.

For regular people without the opportunities of E&B however, it's best to get a degree and hopefully some work experience. That's the best we can do, really.

bvajne
Talker
Talker

Post by bvajne »

Nadezhda wrote:In some ways I agree, but tbh prospective employers value experience much more than a degree. With all that Blair has achieved, she could definitely get a job once youtube dries up.

For regular people without the opportunities of E&B however, it's best to get a degree and hopefully some work experience. That's the best we can do, really.
I agree with your second point , but Blair wouldn't be successful once she shows her true self. She's lazy, unmotivated and arrogant. These characteristics are not something the owners/managers want.

Although with the opportunities of E&B, I would get a degree because that would increase my knowledge of what I do and they could be even more successful.

hm_22
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by hm_22 »

seems just like another source of cashing in on AD REVENUE!!

laurrxy
Talker
Talker

Post by laurrxy »

i'm not a bitch, i just don't give a fuck alot

bvajne
Talker
Talker

Post by bvajne »

srqnative wrote:
bvajne wrote:
byebyebye1 wrote:i would feel so useless and dumb if I had nothing more than a high school degree

Fuck that, and fuck you. Some people don't go to college, it doesn't make them "useless and dumb". The classism on this site is horrendous.

Also, lets not forget that these items will lose it's value, but a higher education doesn't. When she stops youtube (probably in the near future) she will have nothing to show for. A high school graduate, in this economy is worthy for working at a phone call centre. (no offence to anyone working there)

I disagree that a higher education doesn't lose its value. I think it already has tbh haha. I'm just referring to a Bachelor's though. So many people go to college thinking it's the answer to everything and they'll walk out with a job that pays well. Everyone I know that has a Bachelor's that they don't use is bartending because someone with a Master's degree took the jobs they would normally get (even though the Masters people are probably overqualified). I think in today's economy you need more than (an undergraduate) higher education to succeed unless you know the right people.
It depends what you get your BA from... If you do culinary arts for example or go to a fashion school (OVERRATED) of course it will lose its value because it isn't valuable to start with! BUT, if you get it from anything else, (lets not talk about medicine or any form of doctor, cause in this case, it is absolutely NOT relevant :D) eg. business, english literature etc. I think it's good to have even if you don't pursuit it as a career later on.

In my opinion, it is irresponsible to say that masters people are overqualified. Generally, jobs specs will ask for more than a BA...

Certainly, Blair or morelike her dad knows a lot of people and has the right connections, but it always helps to have a paper ( qualification) as a back-up plan. Imagine if something would happen to her parents, egy debt or overdraft/ bankrupt, anything and she stops doing youtube. She will not have anything to work with/from.

Ginger1
Debater
Debater

Post by Ginger1 »

^^ Actually JMHO, but culinary arts degrees or certifications can be instantly valuable, while a literature BA is something that's more likely to go unused. I think business and literature are good to have if you're in it for the information or skills, but not necessarily in terms of practicality.

I think the whole higher education debate is moot anyway because everyone's life path is unique and these days you have to be creative and brave enough to carve it out rather than try to follow a specific mold.

I've posted 3 responses that keep disappearing so :x

bvajne
Talker
Talker

Post by bvajne »

Ginger1 wrote:^^ Actually JMHO, but culinary arts degrees or certifications can be instantly valuable, while a literature BA is something that's more likely to go unused. I think business and literature are good to have if you're in it for the information or skills, but not necessarily in terms of practicality.

I think the whole higher education debate is moot anyway because everyone's life path is unique and these days you have to be creative and brave enough to carve it out rather than try to follow a specific mold.

I've posted 3 responses that keep disappearing so :x
The second part I absolutely agree! As for the culinary arts....you don't need to spend three years in a college/university when you can do it as a hobby! It is a waste of time. If you look at the top culinary artists, they just went to a couple of hours doing it, but not go to uni... This is a profession, which can be self-taught and if you have the right contacts and business is in your blood naturally, then you can easily make use of it and don't have to pay a ton of money for it.

As for the literature and bisuness, it totally depends on the person.

Anyway, back to the main topic, I still think Blair should go off, start thinking about her future, not only youtube as a job and get it together. If you have a paper...even if you don't use it... you still have a plan B. :HK:

Nadezhda
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Nadezhda »

If we're relating this to Blair, then a masters isn't necessary because she already has so much experience in the industry. She'd do fine with just a bachelor's degree. Unless of course she wanted to go into an entirely different field of work.

As for graduating with only a bachelor's in literature, I wouldn't suggest it unless you aren't looking for employment and just want to learn for fun... With literature you either need to become a teacher (and do a masters) or become an academic (and do honours, phd). You could also become a librarian, but you need a degree for that too. It's pretty tough out there, employment-wise.

bvajne
Talker
Talker

Post by bvajne »

Totally agreed^^

Blair at least should have a BA in SOMETHING other than shopping :HK:

Return to “juicystar07”