Girls who buy $1,000 purses

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Girls who buy $1,000 purses

Post by Username »

It blows my mind how some girls willingly spend a fortune on those mediocre-looking Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga, Gucci, etc handbags. Some of them run as high as $5,000. What's the point? Because of the status? They don't even look expensive. And if they lose it, it's a HUGE loss. I wouldn't buy those things even if it was $1. My $20 no-name purse looks better.

smiley
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: Girls who buy $1,000 purses

Post by smiley »

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for designer handbags. I think it's silly that some people will forego things they actually need (I knew someone who barely bought any groceries for a month!) to buy an expensive handbag to put stuff in. It's all for show. However, since it's their money then people can do with it as they wish.

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sleep84 »

Oh My God. I think that Luis Vuitton bags look absolutely horrible. They look like my grandmother's bag they are AWFUL!! They are all poopy brown and full of little brand symbols...YUK.
Pardon my typos, I have a rubbish keyboard. :P

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by catcherintherye »

Everyone and their dog has a Michael kors and coach. They all look hideous with the tacky gold details and huge dangly locks. It's just a bag! To keep stuff! When did it become a fashion statement. I think the only bags that look good are Hermes satchels and some chanel bags... IMO, if you have a 1,000 dollar bag, you must make a ton of money... I wouldn't accept an expensive bag as a gift, nor would I buy it myself. Some girls in my office who make about $10 an hour carry big expensive michael kors bags. They live in shady apartments.... Isn't that like setting yourself up to get robbed?

tiatiger
Debater
Debater

Post by tiatiger »

I think it's ridiculous to buy a £1000 purse & not have £1000 to put in it.

Sent from my iPhone 5, I'm probably at work. So spelling isn't important

Post by Guest »

I dunno, it's their money so I don't really see why it matters! I'm not bothered how they choose to spend it! I'm saving up towards a Stella McCartney bag, which is around £680/$1000. I work for my money and I put £200/$300 away every month for my education and that's all I really need to save!

I am a fan of fashion all of the labels and the names, but I'm also a vegetarian so I wanted a bag that wasn't made out of leather or suede. I'm planning on it lasting me a long time anyway!!

thismustbetheplace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by thismustbetheplace »

I think the Louis Vuitton monogram bags (and monogram bags by other brands) are a huge waste of money because they aren't even leather...why would anyone pay $1000 for "coated canvas"? If I'm going to drop $$$ on a bag, I'd want it to be leather. I also think it's stupid to buy "trendy" expensive bags that will be out of style in 2 or 3 years. Most of the "it" bags look pretty ugly to me anyway and I have no idea why they are so popular.

There are a few expensive bags that I would buy if I had the money, like the Prada Saffiano tote, a couple of the Coach leather bags (none of that monogram nonsense, though) and (if I was really rich) the Chanel Executive Tote and Shopper. But I would only buy those if I had a really well-paying job and tons of savings and could well afford to drop the cash. There are plenty of inexpensive handbags that look awesome, and you can even find vintage real leather bags on ebay for really cheap (like $20). I hate how some people treat expensive handbags (and makeup, shoes, etc.) as a necessity when they are a luxury item.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

Well, some people buy expensive bags because of quality and that fact that they are not made in sweatshops (I'm sure some of them probably are, but LV for example isn't as far as I know). But I feel like usually girls do it just because they can and like to be "in" since handbags can be a status symbol.
imma ball til the day i fall

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

thismustbetheplace wrote:I think the Louis Vuitton monogram bags (and monogram bags by other brands) are a huge waste of money because they aren't even leather...why would anyone pay $1000 for "coated canvas"? If I'm going to drop $$$ on a bag, I'd want it to be leather. I also think it's stupid to buy "trendy" expensive bags that will be out of style in 2 or 3 years. Most of the "it" bags look pretty ugly to me anyway and I have no idea why they are so popular.

There are a few expensive bags that I would buy if I had the money, like the Prada Saffiano tote, a couple of the Coach leather bags (none of that monogram nonsense, though) and (if I was really rich) the Chanel Executive Tote and Shopper. But I would only buy those if I had a really well-paying job and tons of savings and could well afford to drop the cash. There are plenty of inexpensive handbags that look awesome, and you can even find vintage real leather bags on ebay for really cheap (like $20). I hate how some people treat expensive handbags (and makeup, shoes, etc.) as a necessity when they are a luxury item.
i LOVE stella mccartney handbags. one of these days!!!!!!!
imma ball til the day i fall

Post by Guest »

While I personally wouldn't spent over $1K on a bag, I can certainly understand why some people do. There are such things as a classic, timeless bag. They're made of top-notch quality, and will last a lifetime. (This same concept can also be applied to things like watches, leather boots, etc.) I don't judge people who carry them. I know many women who do. The one thing I find a bit silly to splurge on is a designer suitcase. Baggage handlers mistreat bags and they get scuffed or scratched, so I'd be really paranoid about checking a LV suitcase. If you're carrying on, then no biggie.

Also, keep in mind that the person who is carrying that expensive bag may 1) have connections and got a discount, 2) maybe they got it as a gift, or 3) maybe it's something they've always wanted and finally wanted to treat themselves to something "nice". Nothing wrong with that :)

L1Z
Informer
Informer

Post by L1Z »

I think it's all a matter of opinion and taste and what you want to spend your money on. I guess I just don't understand knocking people for spending their own money on something (unless they have kids or other responsibilities and are spending the money selfishly). I think buying purses is some people's thing, not sure if any of you are familiar with The Purse Forum but purses are a lifestyle for many of those women.

Maris Crane
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Maris Crane »

If I'm not sucking from the tax payer's trough, who is anyone else to judge or care what I spend my money on? For me, an ardent Balenciaga fan, no $20 bag can compete with a classic City bag in chewy leather, with wrinkling. Different strokes for different folks.

I admit, I have to second the comment about LV luggage though. My suitcase is so beat up just from being thrown on a conveyer belt and scratched up from train travel, I can't understand spending all that on a rolling LV. But the canvas (at least in the case of day bags & wallets) is virtually indestructible. I can understand a woman electing to spend the lesser amount on a canvas LV clutch versus a Chanel Lambskin one.

Maris Crane
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Maris Crane »

tiatiger wrote:I think it's ridiculous to buy a £1000 purse & not have £1000 to put in it.

Lots of people don't like to carry that much cash on them. I never have more than $20; it's easier to file a fraud report or chargeback on a credit product or debit card, and cancel debit/credit cards than it is to recover money held in a money clip.

tiatiger
Debater
Debater

Post by tiatiger »

Maris Crane wrote:
tiatiger wrote:I think it's ridiculous to buy a £1000 purse & not have £1000 to put in it.

Lots of people don't like to carry that much cash on them. I never have more than $20; it's easier to file a fraud report or chargeback on a credit product or debit card, and cancel debit/credit cards than it is to recover money held in a money clip.
I didn't mean in just cash on debit cards also.

L1Z
Informer
Informer

Post by L1Z »

Maris Crane wrote:If I'm not sucking from the tax payer's trough, who is anyone else to judge or care what I spend my money on? For me, an ardent Balenciaga fan, no $20 bag can compete with a classic City bag in chewy leather, with wrinkling. Different strokes for different folks.

I admit, I have to second the comment about LV luggage though. My suitcase is so beat up just from being thrown on a conveyer belt and scratched up from train travel, I can't understand spending all that on a rolling LV. But the canvas (at least in the case of day bags & wallets) is virtually indestructible. I can understand a woman electing to spend the lesser amount on a canvas LV clutch versus a Chanel Lambskin one.

agreed, once i had my first "nice" leather purse, i knew there was no going back (even though i stick to the more moderately priced brands, like rebecca minkoff & michael kors)...i reeeally want a balenciaga city or part-time...one day <3

pixielein
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pixielein »

sleep84 wrote:Oh My God. I think that Luis Vuitton bags look absolutely horrible. They look like my grandmother's bag they are AWFUL!! They are all poopy brown and full of little brand symbols...YUK.
yes and i hate also (classic) chanel bags, sreiously my grandma would wear them, i cant understand why a young girl wanna wear it. and it just doesnt look properly on anybody :/

Post by Guest »

Much smarter and better for our planet to buy a 1000. purse and use it for 2 years everyday than a bunch of junk at Forever21.

charlavail
Informer
Informer

Post by charlavail »

If I had the money to buy a really nice Celine or Longchamp bag, I totally would. But there are some NASTY looking bags that I seriously do not understand why people buy them. Some of them really aren't even that good of quality compared to a 50-100 dollar bag you could buy at a department store.

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

I came across this video a few weeks ago, and I think this woman has a good point on the price of designer handbags.

[youtube][/youtube]

Shneck Ache
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Shneck Ache »

kittykat wrote:I came across this video a few weeks ago, and I think this woman has a good point on the price of designer handbags.

[youtube][/youtube]
I agree. I'm not sold on the cost-per-wear thing though, although I realize it's a pretty common thing in the fashion industry to assess pieces that way. It should be noted that everything I know about the fashion industry I've learned from watching What Not To Wear episodes, and they always talk about cost-per-wear, but to me it always seemed like the ends justifying the means. Like if your LV is $.50/wear because you use it more, just use the DB more and it'll be $.02 per wear. The point is, you're choosing to use the LV more not that it's a de facto more frugal choice.

However, what I wanted to say is: some of my favorite channels on YouTube right now are women who pretty much only wear super-luxury items. None of them are beauty gurus, and none of them are really all that popular in terms of subscriber-counts, but omg, I am obsessed with them. And they have multiple Birkin and Kelly bags, HUGE collections of LV, Chanel, Cartier, etc luxury everything. Everything they own and wear cost thousands of dollars, I can't imagine them owning something as pedestrian as a Coach bag, which was the first "nice" bag I actually saved up for and bought myself and thought I was hot stuff for having.

So when I started watching beauty gurus I was blown away by how many young teenagers had LV bags and used Chanel makeup products. I was like, "THIS IS INSANE WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO!" But I got used to it and now it's NBD. Then I was blown away when I watched people in their young 20s who had multiple $2,000+ bags, I was like, "WHO ARE YOU TO OWN CELINE TOTE AND CHANEL TOTE AND A NEVERFULL OMGWTFLKWEORFIWEF!?" but then I got used to it.

And I'll be damned if I'm not now kind of like "whatever" about someone dropping $20,000 on a handbag. I think because these women are obviously SO RICH that they don't even have to save for it, $20K for them is like $200 to me, so I guess my brain just switches to "okay, whatevs."

(I also do not understand what the big deal is about Chanel bags, they look like DIY projects to me with the strap woven through the chain. I've never liked them.)
I'm the poster formerly known as BigFatRoses

Return to “Fashion Discussion”