Annoying Customers/ Retail workers rants...

Throne
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Annoying Customers/ Retail workers rants...

Post by Throne »

3 Years working at a movie theater. Boy you get the cream of the crop coming there; i have buckets full of stories for yall. You wouldn't imagine how many scam artists, entitled old folk and stupid people would walk through that door. It amazing.

One of the most stupid people i encountered trying to make a fast buck was this couple back in 2012 when Dark Night Rises came out. It was a pretty calm day for a Friday night and these two come walking up to me at the front desk demanding service. I go up, pleasantly greet them and they came to complain that the person on door, whose job is just suppose to rip tickets, told them to go to theater 11, instead of 7 and because of that, they missed half of their movie and wanted to be " compensated"for waiting their time. I informed the passionate woman that she could have misheard but either way I quickly apologized and went to go get a manager cause regular workers aren't allowed to give away free movie tickets at any general will.

The manager comes and the woman retells her story. He look at her and says "Well didn't you look at the ticket yourself?You did purchase it correct?" the woman goes into this huff says "oh but i trusted his professional knowledge" blah blah blah. My manager then looks at his watch; "The movie started at 6:10. Its currently 7:30. Why didn't you inform us earlier?" Again, the woman goes on saying "We thought it was the right one, I thought batman would come up soon" getting louder and louder, proclaiming to the masses how it was our fault that she guided herself to the wrong theatre and sat there for at least an hour, not realizing it wasn't fricken batman

But here is the kicker: i checked to see if there was a movie even playing in theatre 11 at the time, just to confirm her account. Turns out, A BOLLYWOOD FILM was playing there at the time. This woman and presumably her husband, sat through a movie for an hour and fifteen minutes, that wasn't even in ENGLISH, thinking that it was batman AND did not think once 5 minute in "HeY, this is the wrong film, lets check the ticket" IF she even went into it at all.

Guys, i know going to the movies is expensive, but if your going to make up some bullcrap story trying to get something for free, at least make it seem legit.

JbMaun
Talker
Talker

Post by JbMaun »

I work as a cashier and supervisor at a grocery store. I have just SO many stories. haha
BUT. my most recent was from a couple weeks ago. We change our flyers out every Thursday night, and so understandably, we tend to run out of what flyers we have as Thursday goes on. SO this woman comes in an hour before closing, and before she's in the store more than 30 seconds she starts freaking out to a woman in our meat department that there aren't any flyers. So meat department woman asks the nearest cashier, who also doesn't have a flyer on her.

Well, crazy lady was not amused. She then proceeded to freak out at 6 different people (myself included) about how we should have flyers AT THE READY at all times. there were also several expletives thrown out there. Best part is, we finally found one for her, and what does she do? Takes it, and stalks out of the store without even looking at it/buying anything.

The next day she called head office to complain about all of us. Peach of a woman, for sure. haha

FutureRN92
Learner
Learner

Post by FutureRN92 »

I will never forget this one time, when I used to work at Target.

I worked back in the fitting room, and we clearly had very noticeable signs that you could only try on 6 items at a time, and because we were getting hit with quite a few shoplifters, we had to physically take the items and count them out to make sure no items were hiding and what not.

Anyway, there was a white lady who was on her cell phone,and she had just one item. As she walked into the fitting room she even shook it out, and everything towards me, so i flagged her in, saying okay thats fine. Then right behind here there is this black lady, who has a HANDFUL of clothes all bunched together. I ask very politely how many does she have and may i count them. She throws them over to me and says HOW COME YOU DIDNT COUNT THE OTHER LADIES ITEMS?!?! And I was like ma'am, she showed me she only had one item, and it was easy to see. I have to count items when I can't see all of them at once. And she kept fighting with me and ended up calling me a racist. I blew it off, until the next day when my manager came up and said can I have a moment with you, and i was like sure. He proceeded to tell me that corporate had called him that morning, saying that a white young chick back in the fitting room, had straight out proceeded being a racist, and they had to take the claim seriously. (My manager at the time was a BIG black dude) so I got a little imitated, but explained to my manager exactly what happened. he told me new ways to approach that situation, if it were to ever happen again., Sure enough, even though I took his advice, I got called a racist, at least 3 more times in the course of working there (about 1.5 years). Just cause I count your clothes, don't mean I think you are stealing. It's just for MY record...>.<

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I do not work there anymore!!!!!

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

Throne wrote:3 Years working at a movie theater. Boy you get the cream of the crop coming there; i have buckets full of stories for yall. You wouldn't imagine how many scam artists, entitled old folk and stupid people would walk through that door. It amazing.

One of the most stupid people i encountered trying to make a fast buck was this couple back in 2012 when Dark Night Rises came out. It was a pretty calm day for a Friday night and these two come walking up to me at the front desk demanding service. I go up, pleasantly greet them and they came to complain that the person on door, whose job is just suppose to rip tickets, told them to go to theater 11, instead of 7 and because of that, they missed half of their movie and wanted to be " compensated"for waiting their time. I informed the passionate woman that she could have misheard but either way I quickly apologized and went to go get a manager cause regular workers aren't allowed to give away free movie tickets at any general will.

The manager comes and the woman retells her story. He look at her and says "Well didn't you look at the ticket yourself?You did purchase it correct?" the woman goes into this huff says "oh but i trusted his professional knowledge" blah blah blah. My manager then looks at his watch; "The movie started at 6:10. Its currently 7:30. Why didn't you inform us earlier?" Again, the woman goes on saying "We thought it was the right one, I thought batman would come up soon" getting louder and louder, proclaiming to the masses how it was our fault that she guided herself to the wrong theatre and sat there for at least an hour, not realizing it wasn't fricken batman

But here is the kicker: i checked to see if there was a movie even playing in theatre 11 at the time, just to confirm her account. Turns out, A BOLLYWOOD FILM was playing there at the time. This woman and presumably her husband, sat through a movie for an hour and fifteen minutes, that wasn't even in ENGLISH, thinking that it was batman AND did not think once 5 minute in "HeY, this is the wrong film, lets check the ticket" IF she even went into it at all.

Guys, i know going to the movies is expensive, but if your going to make up some bullcrap story trying to get something for free, at least make it seem legit.
lmfao oh lord
imma ball til the day i fall

TheOneWhoJustCouldnt
Debater
Debater

Post by TheOneWhoJustCouldnt »

I volunteer in a charity shop and we get some crappy customers.
The one thing I hear all the time that really annoys me is "this is so expensive, I thought this was supposed to be a charity shop!!!1!". Yes, it is a charity shop, but YOU are not the charity. People seriously want something for nothing. We sell books 10 (or less) for £1, that's less than 10p per book and people still want money knocked off. There's one guy who came in 5 Saturdays in a row just picking a few books each time asking can he just pay 50p. No, that's not how it works. And I told him that 5 fricking Saturdays in a row, and it still probably hasn't sunk in.
Then there was a woman who told me that God was going to judge me for not knocking a few quid off of a kids toy.
And for some reason people don't understand that I am a volunteer. I don't get paid to be there (I like working with the other volunteers/staff there, and you can have a laugh, which is why I'm still there), but they act like I'm Robin Hoods opposite, stealing from the poor (them) to give to the rich.
I once had a customer who couldn't believe the final cost of what she had bought for around £50, she bought over 30 things, and then she complained about it. Brand new all of that would have cost triple, easily.
Then there's the parents who shout at their kids for touching toys (shout at them, but not put the toys back), after the parents have picked the toy up, waved it in the kids face and gone "oh blahblah, look at this, ain't it cool". It's a learned behaviour, maybe if you didn't do it, the kid wouldn't ever.
I could go on all day.

iloveeeecheeesee
Talker
Talker

Post by iloveeeecheeesee »

I was working at Kohl's and this woman was drunk and passed out in the dressing room for a couple of hours then she freaked out because she couldn't get out.

meowmix123
Lurker
Lurker

Post by meowmix123 »

I got my first job at a fast food company 3 months back, and I like working at front cash for the most part. All in all I haven't really had my share of crazy costumers. Two Fridays ago I was trying to make it through supper rush, being the only one on counter with a line up of hungry grumpy costumers when a pipe bursts in the back of our drink machine (That seems to have a mind of its own.) Because of this, there was about two inches of water all around the counter making for unsafe work conditions. It took awhile to clean up but that was fine, until we realised that this effected all of the machines so we couldn't sell any water based drinks or products like Pop, Juice, Poutine, Ice Cream Coffee etc. When I informed the costumers they didn't seem to mind at all. But 5 minutes before my eleven o'clock shift ended I had this angry guy order a meal with a poutine and a pop, and when I politely informed him we couldn't sell anything of the sort, and let him in on the situation he started swearing at me saying things like "This is a fucking fast food restaurant how can you not have pop" "This is bullshit, you don't even have fucking gravy." I am a pretty sensitive person, and usually I would get upset over these kinds of remarks but at that time I didn't care, and my till got pulled so one of my co workers got the blunt of his argument. Needless to say, she refused to serve him while he was in that state, and the manager told him to leave.
I also hate it when costumers go out of their way to point out how small I am, and how they "Can't see me" over the counter. Yes, I am 15 (almost 16) I am four foot eight inches tall 76 lbs, and I am old enough to legally work. Can you please leave me alone. I don't know why I'm so sensitive about it considering people make jokes about my size at least 10 times a day and I should be used to it, but whatever... :HK:

whereicomefrom
Informer
Informer

Post by whereicomefrom »

TaylorKnows wrote:I am getting sick of hearing "Other stores let me do it."
THIS.

I work at a little corner-store in my neighborhood. The manager has an arrangement with the welfare of our city council that every week a few people come in, shop at about $50 (paid for by the council) and the store gives them another $5, on us. If they want to purchase more than that, they can, they just need to pay for it in cash. This is because the $55 are on a tab, and our old cash registers can't charge both a tab and a credit card. Cash + tab is fine, so most people do this. They are also not allowed to buy alcohol/cigarettes with welfare money, so adding cash happens quite often. HOWEVER, for the past two Fridays (which are our most busy day, because of Shabbat) these two obnoxious ladies have come in, bought at well over $50 and demanded I charge the rest of their bill on the credit card. I told them I can't, and they yelled at me that other supermarkets have no problem splitting a bill into to credit cards and such. WELL HERE I CAN'T! The first week the lady just gave me cash and that's it, and then last week she wanted to pay with credit again and I said "fine but just so you know maybe the whole amount will be taken off your credit and not just the additional money you want to pay" (just needed to add about $10). I swiped her card and haha, declined anyway. Sweet karma.
She then also demanded our delivery guy take her home - which is fine, usually, we have some regular customers who come in, shop, and then we deliver it for them... mostly little old ladies who don't own cars... but she had a car!! She wanted him to follow her with the delivery car so he can take it upstairs for her because she simply can't carry all of this stuff! The store owner got really pissed at this, she was being so so rude.

madalicelane
Learner
Learner

Post by madalicelane »

this was maybe two years ago and I work in a bakery that also sells random things like lasagne and this woman wanted a jacket potato. It was really busy and we had sold them all so I asked the oven guy how much longer they would take and he told the woman they would be another half an hour. She ignored him and snapped "what" at me so I repeated what he'd said and asked if I could get her anything else instead. she completely flipped at me about how a busy woman like her couldn't seriously be expected to wait around half an hour for her dinner. I had to keep all smiles and basically told her that there wasn't much I could do because it was so busy and that we had numerous other options and she lost it and started screaming at me about how I was ignorant of other peoples needs and that she couldn't believe they would let someone with no manners who looked like me (I have lilac hair) work in a customer environment. I was really upset and I'm fairly timid so my supervisor shouted at her and told her t get out the shop.
I really can't wait to finish uni and get a job outside of retail!

gizcorn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gizcorn »

This happened about a month back just as people were buying loads of stuff for christmas. It was late and we weren't that busy and a guy came in looking for a refund on a game he bought about an hour ago. He seemed nice and patient, which is rare for many of the customers we get on the CSD, and I explained to him the store policy for games is a one-time exchange of title, the game was unopened and he said this, and because he wasn't being a dick about it I said I would go over to the game desk and see what I could do as it wasn't my department, they said because it was unopened to refund it this time but explain that this wouldn't happen again and he was lucky we were doing it.

So I went back over to the customer and explained this and he had pulled out his phone while I was at the other desk to lookup the store policy and when I came back he started getting really snotty with me saying "I don't know why you were being so rude and LOOK RIGHT HERE ON YOUR WEBSITE IT SAYS I CAN GET A REFUND, so you need to learn your policy!" etc etc doing a complete flip on how he was acting before, so I calmly looked at what he was showing me and clearly pointed out the part where it said "we will only offer a one-time exchange of titles and no refunds" with a huge smile of course ha and he instantly shut up. I would've refused the refund right there after that but I decided to carry on as we had by this point started to get a queue and I couldn't be bothered to deal with him any longer, but on his way out I said "Sir, I just want you to know that I do in fact know my job and the store's policy but if you have any other enquiries about any aspects of refunds and exchanges feel free to talk to me about it again :)" Needless to say he walked off looking sheepish as hell and the customer's after him made a comment on his behaviour. Unfortunately things like that aren't uncommon in my store and I really hate being on the Customer Service bit, thank God it's only once a week haha

Wombat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Annoying Customers

Post by Wombat »

AngelPrincess wrote:IKR! I hate how people seem to think cashiers have some type of authority Ugh HELLO does my badge say manger? does it say store owner no it doesn't I just take the money and give you the damn product.

Toys R us has to have been the worst place I've worked in my life. Idk what to complain about first. There were crazy impatient asshole parents, spoiled children, and grumpy old people. I would have to say the worst were the parents who would go Christmas shopping with their kids in the cart. They would want me to "secretly" scan the toys and put them in the bags before the kids saw them. I'm like really?

I got this one women who blamed me for not letting her daughter get toy saying I refused to scan it. I'm not a parent so I would really love to know are parents that scared to tell their kids no?

There was this guy that didn't know what Bogo meant, so he brought his two little daughters in who were so excited to get this bracelet making kits with there own money. the deal was buy one get one half off. but this guy thought the toy was half off. When it rang up for full price he was confused. I literally spend ten minutes telling this guy the sign said buy ONE get ONE half off. he kelp insisting that's not what it said and how he wanted the toy for half off. I told him I cant do that because the sign clearly said buy one get one half off. So he asked for a manager and she explained to him that bogo meant buy one get one and even got the sign to show it to him. The girls decided they didn't want to get the toy because all their money would have been gone. After all of that he still had the nerve to tell us that the sign didn't say buy one get one half off and how its not right how we cheated his daughters. I felt bad for those girls because I could tell they were disappointed that they couldn't get it. But I also feel bad for them because they have an idiot father.
On the note of BOGO misunderstandings, I worked in a clothing store that had a few buy one get one half price sales. Every time, without fail, you'd get at least two customers a day having a go because "it's buy one get one free!" I'd explain it wasn't, they'd point at the sign and say "buy one get one free!"
I am not ashamed to say more than once I got joy in pointing out, word for word, buy one get one half price.

Most people just get a bit sheepish and embarrassed that they misread it, but a fair few acted like they had been misled by the clearly stated signs.

fauxfox
Informer
Informer

Post by fauxfox »

Back in the day (like maybe the 1990s), BOGO sales really did mean buy one, get one free. I remember seeing a BOGO ad in 2002 or so that was buy one, buy one half off (for Payless shoes, I think) and I commented on how lame and misleading that sale was. Now everyone does it. So I think it's something that changed over time...some of your customers probably still expect it to be like in the old days. Alas. :)

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

whereicomefrom wrote:
TaylorKnows wrote:I am getting sick of hearing "Other stores let me do it."
THIS.

I work at a little corner-store in my neighborhood. The manager has an arrangement with the welfare of our city council that every week a few people come in, shop at about $50 (paid for by the council) and the store gives them another $5, on us. If they want to purchase more than that, they can, they just need to pay for it in cash. This is because the $55 are on a tab, and our old cash registers can't charge both a tab and a credit card. Cash + tab is fine, so most people do this. They are also not allowed to buy alcohol/cigarettes with welfare money, so adding cash happens quite often. HOWEVER, for the past two Fridays (which are our most busy day, because of Shabbat) these two obnoxious ladies have come in, bought at well over $50 and demanded I charge the rest of their bill on the credit card. I told them I can't, and they yelled at me that other supermarkets have no problem splitting a bill into to credit cards and such. WELL HERE I CAN'T! The first week the lady just gave me cash and that's it, and then last week she wanted to pay with credit again and I said "fine but just so you know maybe the whole amount will be taken off your credit and not just the additional money you want to pay" (just needed to add about $10). I swiped her card and haha, declined anyway. Sweet karma.
She then also demanded our delivery guy take her home - which is fine, usually, we have some regular customers who come in, shop, and then we deliver it for them... mostly little old ladies who don't own cars... but she had a car!! She wanted him to follow her with the delivery car so he can take it upstairs for her because she simply can't carry all of this stuff! The store owner got really pissed at this, she was being so so rude.
I don't understand why customers assume they're entitled like that. You're entitled to good service but that is too far.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

My brother.

He's one of those people who think they deserve the best attention, we went to the beach and he was at the beach club and since it was full of people all the waiters were extremely busy, anyway, he go so annoyed because they weren't giving him enough attention and because he got a room temperature beer instead of a cold one he went ahead and started fighting with the waiter, he even called him a stupid motherfucker.

Wombat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Wombat »

fauxfox wrote:Back in the day (like maybe the 1990s), BOGO sales really did mean buy one, get one free. I remember seeing a BOGO ad in 2002 or so that was buy one, buy one half off (for Payless shoes, I think) and I commented on how lame and misleading that sale was. Now everyone does it. So I think it's something that changed over time...some of your customers probably still expect it to be like in the old days. Alas. :)
In NZ, buy one get one free sales are incredibly rare, I think I've seen maybe 2 in 20 years of living here, which made it all the more odd that that was their first thought.

AriaMontgomery
Learner
Learner

Post by AriaMontgomery »

This is just a general rant, but does anyone else find it so rude when customers just throw their money on the counter? Had a really dismissive older man the other day practically chuck his money down. I have so many pet hates and annoying customer stories!

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

I don't work at a store but I'm sure lots of you get annoyed at this and so do we as customers: the "lets try 6 different credit cards that are maxed out" customer that holds up the line during a rush.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

AriaMontgomery wrote:This is just a general rant, but does anyone else find it so rude when customers just throw their money on the counter? Had a really dismissive older man the other day practically chuck his money down. I have so many pet hates and annoying customer stories!
yes! this one rude woman a little while ago not only threw her money on the counter but when i was reaching to pick it up, she shoved it towards me with a disgusted look on her face =/

lacrymosa
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by lacrymosa »

I loved reading all these stories, haha.

I used to work in a dog groomers a couple years ago, we had this one customer come in with his dog and say "i want it all cut off", i even questioned him if he definitely wanted it because it probably wouldn't look too flattering on the breed. He told me how she'd been groomed a year ago on a 7F blade, and again i said to him, 7F is quite short are you sure? He said oh yes, go for it. So, 'the customer is always right' and that i complied and groomed his dog. He comes and picks the dog up, happy as larry, even gave me a little tip and told me he'd bring her back soon for another groom. Great. Then, the next day his wife comes up in salon and completely freaks out. She demanded to see the 'imbecile who groomed my dog" (me?) and went on a full emotional rant about how ugly her dog looks, even claiming she couldn't sleep properly last night because she was so distressed. I tell her that i just did what her husband requested and she just flat out called me a liar and that 'he wouldn't say that'. Anyways, she kept talking about how she was going to sue for compensation, going to complain about us to the newspapers and everything about how i 'ruined her dog.' In the end my boss just gave up and gave her some compensation just so she'd fuck off and leave us alone. My boss was completely on my side because she heard the husband demand i cut the dog like that. We're pretty sure they just do this to all the groomers to try win some money out of them. But ugh, it was a horrible experience. I quit not too long after it.

I worked at a chemist and it's surprising how many people came in and got surprised that they have to pay for their medication. It was always fun getting a rant about how they 'thought the NHS was free and sucking my taxes, so i should't have to pay' :roll: Yeah your consultation was free but your prescription still requires a charge unless you have an exemption card. Just get over it and pay, or leave. Seriously i'm not interested in 'how hard you work' nor are all the people queuing behind you. Also used to get a lot of cheeky 59 year olds ticking the '60 or over' box (your meds are free if you're over 60) Do they not realize your age and DOB are on your prescription? Lol.

When i worked in a reptile store when i was 16 (my first job, aww) i was endlessly telling mothers to not let their children bang on the cages or run around screaming because it's distressing to the animals and i always just got the filthiest looks and they'd make an effort to point and bitch about me. I have a lot more stories, but in my experience old people and mothers are just the worst people to deal with.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

I hate it when people come in while they're on the phone and don't hang it up or at least put it down while they're ordering. They hold up the line and then they act like I'm bothering them when I'm just trying to ask them about their order. It's so rude and obnoxious.

Return to “Work”