Annoying Customers/ Retail workers rants...

AriaMontgomery
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Annoying Customers/ Retail workers rants...

Post by AriaMontgomery »

A few more general ones...

People who act like I'm an absolutely idiot when I ask them if they'd like a bag. I'm not going to assume everyone does - lots of people carry those small fold up bags and don't actually need one at all so you can stop with your sarcastic comments and eye rolling thank you!

People who are impatient who don't say thank you or please and snatch their items out of your hand and practically run off! They may well be in a rush, but there's no need to be rude.

Those customers who stand right behind the customer you are currently serving - probably hoping to hurry them up but I find it so rude. They also shove their items onto the till area or into my hand before the other customer has even picked up theirs.

Customers who walk up to me and say 'Shampoo' or 'Plasters' rather than 'Excuse me, could you show me where the shampoo is please?" (Or similar). Sometimes I'm tempted to respond with, 'Yes, what about it?' I never would though!

As you can probably tell rudeness is a pet peeve of mine..!

oceanic
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by oceanic »

This is more restaurant than retail, but customers at restaurants are really fucking rude too.

I worked as a hostess at a restaurant over the summer. It just opened in the beginning of June and I worked from mid June to like the 5th of August. AND PEOPLE ARE SO RUDE. I have so much respect for servers and hosts now. Opening day was a Friday and I worked a double (lunch and dinner). I was already stressed out from all the people from lunch and then dinner was 1000000x more stressful. There was this family that had been waiting for a while b/c they had 10 people without a reservation and we told them we would have to take large reservations before them. They got all shitty with me and their pre-teen daughter threw the buzzer at me. 1. If you are going to a restaurant on OPENING DAY don't expect to be seated right away. 2. if you have a large party, don't be expected to be seated right away. 3. who the hell walks in with 10 people without making a reservation first?

The parents didn't even get on to the daughter for throwing the buzzer at me. They didn't tip the waitress either. Everyone was pissed at that family, including the owners.

Chappi
Talker
Talker

Post by Chappi »

Okay, so I work at the biggest shopping center in northern Germany, so I have a ton of customers every day. I work as a cashier in our supermarket.

What always makes me really really really aggressive is when customers don't look left or right, they just see a line and decide to stand at the end of it. I should probably say that we have 17 (!!) cash registers of which there are always at least five open, even on the slowest of slow days. When it's full, all of them are open. Yet people always just queue up at one of them even if the one right next to it has no line at all.
In the beginning I told them that it'd probably be faster if they went to my colleague, because she doesn't have anything to do, and they usually just told me "well, I'm already standing in line now". YOUR STUFF ISN'T EVEN ON THE CONVEYOR BELT YET. YOU ONLY NEED TO TAKE THREE STEPS. And by the time it's finally their turn, they are cranky because it took too long.

BetterOffDead
Learner
Learner

Post by BetterOffDead »

TODAY, at the store I work at as a cashier, this lady came through my lane complaining about how our deli told her it would take an hour to make chicken nuggets because they would have to defrost and reach the proper temperature. So, she then asked me and the girl who was helping me bag groceries if our deli made food. My poor bagger responded with "I don't know" and the lady just flipped all hell.
"You don't know? You work here and you don't know? Isn't that lovely?"
"I haven't been working here that long" [our name tags show our start year, hers was 2013 but she started in November]
The lady looks at her name tag "2013? I think that's plenty of time to learn."

So she goes and complains to our manager. Afterwards, the manager came up to us, looked at my bagger and goes "I hope you just ignored her. Because that is not your department and I don't care what she has to say, you don't have to know anything but right here."

We have had an onslaught of extreme couponers this week. One had so many coupons the register froze up and they had to start her order all over again.

canaduh
Informer
Informer

Post by canaduh »

The things I hate the most about working where I work are:
1. When customers order like 25 things off the menu and then complain when it takes longer than 5 minutes. At most, we only ever have 3 people making sandwiches and 2 working fryers but they can only go so fast.
2. When people come in at 9:59, ask when we close(we close at 10) and then eat in. We can't tell them to leave either because they got here before 10.
3. People who come through drive-thru at 5 to 10 when everything is off and order off the entire menu.
4. Customers who complain about not being able to use a coupon more than once.
5. When a customer will ask for their money back because their chicken order(our chicken orders are always made fresh) take longer than other orders.

I could go on and on but customers just really piss me off sometimes.

namaste
Debater
Debater

Post by namaste »

The amount of people that come in with expired coupons and have the NERVE to get upset when we don't take them.

Or when I do a return and give a merch card, "gonna spend it anyway!"
Yeah, no shit. There is literally nothing else you can do with that card, fuck face.

I really hate retail. Especially at customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dulapeep
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by dulapeep »

I'm going to bring this thread back because since working retail I have a few awful/funny stories

- My coworker found shit on a shirt. Literal human shit. Someone used it instead of a diaper wipe and left it in the middle of the floor.
- I have had to call security on a guy masturbating in the men's room, where the stall doors are cut so low that you can make eye contact with other people in the bathroom (it's to prevent things like that happening but apparently some people just really feel the need...)
- I've also had to call security on a couple fucking in the bathroom
- Today I had to reticket 6 shirts that had swapped tags, so whoever returned them got $25+ for a $14 shirt. How nice.

hannah
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by hannah »

People who come through drivethru with kids and let the kid decide what they're eating when there's a queue of cars behind them. Either let them decide before you join the queue or pick for them!

sibkitty3
Debater
Debater

Post by sibkitty3 »

I have no problem with people on their cell phones. As long as they pay, and do what they need to do get out, I don't care. BUT I can't stand the whole "I forgot my wallet/pin/money" or "hang on, let me pull out my cell phone and transfer money to my account". ..........................................................

Why can't you be prepare before cashing out? How stupid are you to forget your pin? I'm sorry if you cannot remember your pin, because you are used to the tapping chip method all the time, then you should not trusted with a credit card.

for anyone who doesn't know this method, basically you tap your card on the debit/credit machine and it will automatically processed. it is called paypass. so people are used to simply tapping the shit out the card that they forget their pin. I have the same thing on my cards, but I don't used it cause I don't feel comfortable with it.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

Oh boyyyy do I have stories...HORROR stories as a retail worker. People are so rude and pushy and act so entitled, it pisses me off! The other day I had this lady come up to me and ask me a question, and I couldn't hear her (Very busy in the store and the music was loud) and I thought she said "Are there red shirts upstairs?" I actually get questions like this on a daily basis, so I didn't think anything of it and I said "Yeah, there should be" and she gave me this disgusted look and YELLED "You mean to tell me that you work here but you don't know if there's any registers upstairs?" Geez. I just shot her a disgusted look back and said "Yes, there are. Sorry, I didn't hear you." and walked away. I can't deal with c*nts like that, I swear, white mothers are the worst customers in my store, they act like I owe them something.

At my store we are NOT allowed to take clothes off of a mannequin as they're display only and when I tell the customers this, 90% of them flip out on me and yell at me telling me how ridiculous it is, how I suck, how I'm providing bad service, how this store sucks, and usually, they tell the manager on me too. People just need to understand that you CAN'T always get what you want.

PEOPLE COMING IN ON THEIR CELL PHONES. Okay I don't mind if you're texting but I swear, everyone is on the phone talking and it sucks because they never pay attention to their surroundings. They knock over clothes I just hung up and don't pick them up, they're so loud on the phone, and a lot of times they'll come up to me--while talking on their phone--and tell the person on the other end of the phone "Sorry, I couldn't hear you, this sales associate keeps interrupting me" :|

GOD I HATE PEOPLE! I really fucking hate people.

ashelflife
Informer
Informer

Post by ashelflife »

I worked at Wet Seal summer 2013. Worst. Experience. Ever. Never again. I would get called on my scheduled days off and be guilt tripped on the phone to come into work, because so and so manager didn't pay attention when she was writing out the schedule. (I learned very quickly to not answer when they called lol)

My last day there landed on a Saturday. I worked that Thursday (had Friday off) I worked for 9 hours straight without even a 15 minute break. Because we had a rule that there couldn't just be one person in the store, there had to be two. A lot of people had skipped out on work and hadn't shown up for their shifts, so I was stuck covering. When my manager came in that day she tried to only give me a 15 min break after 10 hours at this point I made her give me a 30, I was furious. I even contemplated not going back cause I was so mad lol.

Needless to say, that Saturday I didn't show up to work. And got the nastiest voice mail left on my phone from one of the assistant managers.

If anyone has ever worked at Wet Seal, we had these stupid loyalty cards we had to sell to people, that only gave them a 10% discount anytime they shopped there, and I think 20% on their birthday. When I began doing register I was hounded about them constantly.

And I'm sorry, but when I can see that a consumer is already pissed off, I'm not going to try to sell them an extra $25 they have to pay on top of what they're buying already. And I'm definitely not selling someone a card when all they bring to the register are clearance items...I mean c'mon!

I got some pretty stupid customers come in too. The one question I always, always hated (we wore lanyards, similar to Forever21) was a customer would see the lanyard I had on, and STILL ask me "Do you work here?" Oh my god, just tell me what you need help with, Jesus. I got so fed up one day when a lady asked me the same question I looked at her with the straightest face and went "No, I just like to go in the back and put this on for fun."

She walked away after that lol.

One of my assistant managers once told me that whenever a customer comes in that can't speak English, 9/10 they're Hispanic, live in Texas, she'd ask them for their details and type them out on the screen for a new Wet Seal sign up card, charge them an extra $25 to their total and hand them the card and yell at them "10%! 10%!" I was absolutely shocked she told me that story.

And of course since they usually spoke broken English they wouldn't question it or check their receipts. She even did it in front of me once and it took me all my effort not to smack her.
Last edited by ashelflife on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i_cant_even
Talker
Talker

Post by i_cant_even »

It's not retail but I work in the childcare part of a gym. We have ratios of children per adult that are mandated by state law, 10:1 for my state. These ratios are also determined by age. For example a child under 1.5 counts as 3 children. Anyway I frequently get full to where I am not allowed to watch anymore children. I have parents complain to me all the time, and tell me how I don't look that busy and can't they just leave their kid with me. They will also complain to the person at the desk and tell them to go and help me. But then who will watch the desk? Also you are required to be CPR certified and for my state trust line certified (background check using fingerprints and the FBI) to work in childcare so the desk workers can't help. Parents have yelled and cussed at me and other workers over the fact that there is no room for their child. You would think that a child's safety would be more important to a parent than their workout. :x

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I have more, sorry. I work at Forever 21 and it's HELL, so there's a lot of stories.

I live in a highly...multi cultural area. I always have people coming in and asking me for help--in another language. They always automatically ASSUME I can just speak their language! I had these two very rude German ladies hound me for a white dress--just a white dress. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them for specifics like length, print, etc and just shouted at me "WHITE DRESS! I NEED WHITE DRESS! YOU HELP ME FIND WHITE DRESS!?" Ugh. Then they told me "We are going upstairs but you keep looking for white dress for us! Then come give it to us when you find one." BITCH HELL NO. If you want something, you look for it yourself, I am BUSY! I had a lot of shit to do that day, I couldn't run around the store for 30 minutes looking for a "white dress".

Last week this lady made me cry, I was so mad. She basically stood there and told me that I didn't know how to do my job because I didn't know where she could find "long t-shirts that came down to her knees." I mainly worked in the plus sized section of the store and we didn't have any of those and I didn't know if we had them at all in the store. I told her this and she FLIPPED SHIT on me and 20 minutes later, she FOUND ME AGAIN with a fucking SLEEP SHIRT and said "Oh, by the way, I found what I was looking for...they were upstairs. Ya know, in case anyone else decides to ask you." I knew our sleepwear was upstairs, she NEVER said she wanted a sleep shirt. If she had, I would've told her they were upstairs. Ugh I was so pissed I cried.

I could also go on and on about how SHITTY Forever 21's management is and how many times they've blamed me for things that weren't my fault or for things that were out of my reach. Can't wait to find something else so I can QUIT!

sibkitty3
Debater
Debater

Post by sibkitty3 »

BornThisWay94 wrote:I have more, sorry. I work at Forever 21 and it's HELL, so there's a lot of stories.

I live in a highly...multi cultural area. I always have people coming in and asking me for help--in another language. They always automatically ASSUME I can just speak their language! I had these two very rude German ladies hound me for a white dress--just a white dress. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them for specifics like length, print, etc and just shouted at me "WHITE DRESS! I NEED WHITE DRESS! YOU HELP ME FIND WHITE DRESS!?" Ugh. Then they told me "We are going upstairs but you keep looking for white dress for us! Then come give it to us when you find one." BITCH HELL NO. If you want something, you look for it yourself, I am BUSY! I had a lot of shit to do that day, I couldn't run around the store for 30 minutes looking for a "white dress".

Last week this lady made me cry, I was so mad. She basically stood there and told me that I didn't know how to do my job because I didn't know where she could find "long t-shirts that came down to her knees." I mainly worked in the plus sized section of the store and we didn't have any of those and I didn't know if we had them at all in the store. I told her this and she FLIPPED SHIT on me and 20 minutes later, she FOUND ME AGAIN with a fucking SLEEP SHIRT and said "Oh, by the way, I found what I was looking for...they were upstairs. Ya know, in case anyone else decides to ask you." I knew our sleepwear was upstairs, she NEVER said she wanted a sleep shirt. If she had, I would've told her they were upstairs. Ugh I was so pissed I cried.

I could also go on and on about how SHITTY Forever 21's management is and how many times they've blamed me for things that weren't my fault or for things that were out of my reach. Can't wait to find something else so I can QUIT!
in my job, the majority of people speak hindi or pubjabi and because I have brown tan skin, I am automatically part of that culture. I am south american, so no I do not speak those languages and stop thinking my brown skin makes me Indian. That pisses me off so much! I had one lady got offended cause I don't understand her and asked if my parents taught me right! Like no, if anything I would speak spanish.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

ashelflife wrote:I worked at Wet Seal summer 2013. Worst. Experience. Ever. Never again. I would get called on my scheduled days off and be guilt tripped on the phone to come into work, because so and so manager didn't pay attention when she was writing out the schedule. (I learned very quickly to not answer when they called lol)

My last day there landed on a Saturday. I worked that Thursday (had Friday off) I worked for 9 hours straight without even a 15 minute break. Because we had a rule that there couldn't just be one person in the store, there had to be two. A lot of people had skipped out on work and hadn't shown up for their shifts, so I was stuck covering. When my manager came in that day she tried to only give me a 15 min break after 10 hours at this point I made her give me a 30, I was furious. I even contemplated not going back cause I was so mad lol.

Needless to say, that Saturday I didn't show up to work. And got the nastiest voice mail left on my phone from one of the assistant managers.

If anyone has ever worked at Wet Seal, we had these stupid loyalty cards we had to sell to people, that only gave them a 10% discount anytime they shopped there, and I think 20% on their birthday. When I began doing register I was hounded about them constantly.

And I'm sorry, but when I can see that a consumer is already pissed off, I'm not going to try to sell them an extra $25 they have to pay on top of what they're buying already. And I'm definitely not selling someone a card when all they bring to the register are clearance items...I mean c'mon!

I got some pretty stupid customers come in too. The one question I always, always hated (we wore lanyards, similar to Forever21) was a customer would see the lanyard I had on, and STILL ask me "Do you work here?" Oh my god, just tell me what you need help with, Jesus. I got so fed up one day when a lady asked me the same question I looked at her with the straightest face and went "No, I just like to go in the back and put this on for fun."

She walked away after that lol.

One of my assistant managers once told me that whenever a customer comes in that can't speak English, 9/10 they're Hispanic, live in Texas, she'd ask them for their details and type them out on the screen for a new Wet Seal sign up card, charge them an extra $25 to their total and hand them the card and yell at them "10%! 10%!" I was absolutely shocked she told me that story.

And of course since they usually spoke broken English they wouldn't question it or check their receipts. She even did it in front of me once and it took me all my effort not to smack her.

This. This always happens to me. Whenever I have a day off, I always get called in and asked if I can work a closing shift (Which is utter hell by the way) because so and so called out and got no one to cover their shift. This is another problem at my job, a lot of my coworkers get special treatment and get away with things they shouldn't. If you can't work, you MUST find someone to cover your shift or else it's a write up and so many of them get away with that. Meanwhile I got written up last week because I took a 26 minute break instead of a 30 (Which I never told was a violation). I clocked in 4 fucking minutes early and got written up, yet my coworkers could probably get away with murder. I understand favoritism happens a lot of places but it's so unfair when they do it right in front of me... :|

dulapeep
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by dulapeep »

tamithomas wrote:I don't work at a store but I'm sure lots of you get annoyed at this and so do we as customers: the "lets try 6 different credit cards that are maxed out" customer that holds up the line during a rush.
YUP. Or the people who insist on splitting their transactions to make the best use of their coupons. So. fucking. annoying. And I always make a point to try to shame them out of it by calling to customers behind them that I'll "be with them in just a moment!"

HA3L
Lurker
Lurker

Post by HA3L »

:newby:
So, I need to explain my job a little first. I work at a Michael's Arts and Crafts store. Specifically, I work in the custom framing department, so if you bring in a piece of art we can customize a frame and mats and a whole ton of stuff. It gets really pricey, I have customers who will drop thousands of dollars in a day, so you can imagine that there are a lot of older soccer moms, business men, art "connoisseurs", etc.

The framing counter is set up so people can set down their art/photos, sit on a stool, and then I stand on the other side with my computer, my mat samples and a wall of frames behind me. The frame shop where we build the frames and mount the art is off to the side of the counter, only accessible from walking behind the counter. Customers aren't allowed behind the counter, and I get really uncomfortable when people get in my personal space so it works out well.

I had just started my shift, and a lady comes in with some already framed art. She yelled at me because it looked terrible and was practically falling apart, she wanted me to fix it for free. So I apologized and flipped it over to look at the back where we put a sticker that says which store it was framed at, it wasn't even framed at a michaels. I told her I was sorry but I couldn't do anything for free and if she wanted it fixed, she'd have to purchase something. She freaked out about that, but I finally calmed her down and she decided to re-frame it with us. I excused myself to get a pair of gloves, (I have to wear a pair of white gloves when I touch customers' art) and when I came back out of the frame shop she was behind the counter pulling all the samples down off the wall and off the mat holder. I was so pissed, omg. So I'm like "Ma'am, I'm sorry you can't be behind the counter, I'll help you find any samples you need from back here." And she literally started screeching, and she wouldn't get out from behind the counter. I paged a manager back to the counter and the lady got all up in my face yelling about my atrocious customer service. Finally I got her to back off and go back on the other side of the counter. We finished the order after like an hour of her just being a rude bitch.

sibkitty3
Debater
Debater

Post by sibkitty3 »

I had this one guy bitch at me because I closed my lane and he didn't wanted to wait in the other lines because it was too long. He was in a hurry, and didn't know where the line begins.....
I just told the guy where the lines start and to choose one before I walk off. Why can't people just wait like the grown up they are suppose to be?! I am not a patient person myself, but I can wait in a line for two mins.

Also customers at my store are pretty trusting, which makes them quite stupid. This lady left her purse in the cart and walked away to look at something. while she was away from the cart, another lady came by and stole it. She proceeded to rant about the store and how apparently this male employee stole her bag. Threatened to call the cops and all that.
sad thing is this is the fifth time a woman walked away and left her bag unattended and got stolen......

Post by Guest »

I have so many stories it's unbelievable but there's this one time I couldn't help but laugh in a customer's face it was that ridiculous. I did have my head behind a bucket so I hope she didn't notice.

Whilst I was serving her she didn't really speak much and she sounded a bit grumpy but you get over it so I went to give her her 2p change (3 cents, pretty much) and shut the till and she just stared at me and went 'change it'. I was so confused that I had to ask her why cause I could think of no reason why she'd want 2 1p pieces and I could think of no other reason and with the same deadpan expression she said in absolute disgust 'I don't like the way it looks. Change it now'. So there I was rooting through the charity bucket (it was easier to just exchange the 2p rather than getting a manager to open a till) with all the other customers waiting in line just looking in disbelief and laughing. I found a particularly shiny one, asked if it was any better and she snatched it out of my hand and stormed out.

Almost every customer with change under 20p throws it into the charity bucket and loads look through their purses and wallets just to throw coins in so I have no idea why she so desperately needed this perfect 2p.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I hate when customers come up to me asking about a clothing article that they hardly know anything about. I swear, I get this at least 5 times a day, someone will come up to me and say "Hi...yeah..um...I was looking for this cropped sweatshirt but it's long sleeved with no hood. It zips up." What? I don't know what the hell that is. Then when I tell them I don't know where to find that, they get super pissed off at me and just shoot me a dirty look--like okay, even YOU barely knew what it was that you wanted, I can't read your mind and just because I work here, it doesn't mean that I know where absolutely every piece of clothing in the store is, we're assigned to different zones (Basically areas of the store) so I mainly know what is in MY zone, I hate when people bring me clothes that were from a zone upstairs and get pissed at me when I can't find it in their size. Ask someone upstairs or if you want it THAT much, order it online.

The people who stay in the store for hours...LITERALLY HOURS. There's been so many times when I've been working and I'll see this person or group of people and they're walking all over the store, trying on 10,000 things and hardly buying anything. Then I'll go on my break, come back 30 minutes later, and start working again and I always notice them STILL there, wandering around the store with hardly any items in their bag and SOMETIMES even after they've purchased, they still wander around the store browsing and won't leave like holy shit, how long does it take? Our store isn't even that big so there isn't that much to look at, I don''t know why they're taking so long and plus, these are the people who always stay until we close and it's so annoying because these are ALSO the people who always hold up the line :| They clearly can see that our gate is going down and the music is off, yet they won't leave.

Return to “Work”