Doctor.Who

Kleineganz

Re: Doctor.Who

Post by Kleineganz »

BoomShaka wrote:I read some interesting theories on Tumblr about Missy. One of them was saying that she was a Time Lord and that the garden was her TARDIS or whatever, and another one mentioned that in an episode where Matt was still the Doctor, Amy was in a garden that looked similar to Missy's.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
Actually it's identical. The only difference is that Missy's garden has tons of flowers. Otherwise it's the same set/location.

peachesandcream
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by peachesandcream »

Haven't posted in this thread in a while! But I have to say that series 8 blew me away. I absolutely love Capaldi as Twelve. Some episodes were dull and seemed like filler, like the forest episode, which was probably the weakest episode of the whole series. Also, I felt as though Deep Breath wasn't a very good introduction for Capaldi until the last 30 minutes or so. But other than that I thought it was great! It made me laugh hysterically and cry extremely hard, which Doctor Who hasn't done for me for a few series now. Some of my favorites were definitely Time Heist and the Robin Hood episode (clearly I'm not good with episode names.) For the first time since series 5 I'm extremely excited for the next new series.

I like the dynamic between Clara and 12 a lot better than Clara and 11, and Clara definitely redeemed herself from Deep Breath (that episode completely got rid of the tiny amount of character development she ever had.) Clara finally establishes a home life with her job and Pink, which we haven't seen in a really long time in the show. I wasn't expecting the whole Missy twist at all (I'm not going to write it here yet in case anyone hasn't seen it.) Can't wait for the future with Capaldi and other new companions that will show up in the future.

BoomShaka
Informer
Informer

Post by BoomShaka »

What do you mean when she establishes a home life with Pink? He is dead and never coming back. He also had the option to come back to the living, but instead chose to send back the Afghan boy that he killed. But yes, I liked the episode, love Capaldi, and wouldn't stop crying until an hour after it ended :D

perf
Informer
Informer

Post by perf »

Agree with everthing peachesandcream said!! love that Clara and her and Danny's relationship was being developed. The finale was a bit lackluster and some episodes have had weak plpts for me but series 8 as a whole surpassed the precedent set by the last few seasons

peachesandcream
Talker
Talker

Post by peachesandcream »

BoomShaka wrote:What do you mean when she establishes a home life with Pink? He is dead and never coming back. He also had the option to come back to the living, but instead chose to send back the Afghan boy that he killed. But yes, I liked the episode, love Capaldi, and wouldn't stop crying until an hour after it ended :D

I shouldn't have worded it like that, I was writing a real quick summary haha. What I meant was that we finally get to see her outside of her life with the Doctor, with someone else who isn't the Doctor. We haven't really seen that with companions for the last few series.

BoomShaka
Informer
Informer

Post by BoomShaka »

Oh okay, I see what you mean now. I agree that it was a nice refresher to see her life outside of the Doctor :)

BADWOLF
Lurker
Lurker

Post by BADWOLF »

I really don't like Clara. She seems so boring and annoying to me. She has nice hair and clothes though :D

This season was a bit disappointing because I was really looking forward to see how was the new Doctor and the episodes were mostly boring. I feel like Doctor Who is ruined for me because when I watch it all I seem to do is to look for errors and stuff that irritate me. And this is sad since there was a time when I really enjoyed watching it.

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

Post by ColourlessGreenIdeas »

Hi, I know this forum is pretty much dead (I'm new here, sorry :lol: )

I was just wondering what people think of recent developments with this show? Like Capaldi and Moffat leaving, Chibnall taking over, Pearl Mackie as the new companion. And also if people have seen the new episode today, but I'm aware that's a bit of a long shot, seeing as it only aired a few hours ago, and not everyone watches it live.

I'm personally very happy about Moffat leaving. He had his good moments, but imo his bad moments really outweighed his good moments. I like him as a writer, but not a showrunner. His individual episodes in RTD's era (Blink, The Empty Child, The Girl in the Fireplace, etc.) were honestly amazing, and I was a bit disappointed when we didn't get that with him as showrunner. The only episodes I genuinely enjoyed in Moffat's era were Listen, Dark Water, and Heaven Sent. Mummy on the Orient Express was quite good too, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was amazing. Everything else just seemed a bit forgettable or rushed :|

What do you guys think? Also, thoughts on who will play the next Doctor? I really hope it's not that Love Actually guy, I'm not a huge fan of him as an actor tbh.

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

ColourlessGreenIdeas wrote:Hi, I know this forum is pretty much dead (I'm new here, sorry :lol: )

I was just wondering what people think of recent developments with this show? Like Capaldi and Moffat leaving, Chibnall taking over, Pearl Mackie as the new companion. And also if people have seen the new episode today, but I'm aware that's a bit of a long shot, seeing as it only aired a few hours ago, and not everyone watches it live.

I'm personally very happy about Moffat leaving. He had his good moments, but imo his bad moments really outweighed his good moments. I like him as a writer, but not a showrunner. His individual episodes in RTD's era (Blink, The Empty Child, The Girl in the Fireplace, etc.) were honestly amazing, and I was a bit disappointed when we didn't get that with him as showrunner. The only episodes I genuinely enjoyed in Moffat's era were Listen, Dark Water, and Heaven Sent. Mummy on the Orient Express was quite good too, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was amazing. Everything else just seemed a bit forgettable or rushed :|

What do you guys think? Also, thoughts on who will play the next Doctor? I really hope it's not that Love Actually guy, I'm not a huge fan of him as an actor tbh.
Capaldi and Mackie hold their own in a subpar era. Something I couldn't say about Matt Smith. I'm glad Moffat is leaving because you're right, he's someone who can do an episode here and there, but he does not know how to steer the whole show. I'm a bit sad about Capaldi leaving under Moffats rule, I would have loved to see him shine under a decent showrunner.

I have no clue who would be the next Doctor, but it would be nice to see someone a bit different, you know maybe not just another white guy. But asking for a poc may be asking for waaaaayyy to much :roll:

Bones_G2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Bones_G2 »

RazzleDazzle46 wrote:
ColourlessGreenIdeas wrote:Hi, I know this forum is pretty much dead (I'm new here, sorry :lol: )

Capaldi and Mackie hold their own in a subpar era. Something I couldn't say about Matt Smith. I'm glad Moffat is leaving because you're right, he's someone who can do an episode here and there, but he does not know how to steer the whole show. I'm a bit sad about Capaldi leaving under Moffats rule, I would have loved to see him shine under a decent showrunner.

I have no clue who would be the next Doctor, but it would be nice to see someone a bit different, you know maybe not just another white guy. But asking for a poc may be asking for waaaaayyy to much :roll:
Let's get this thread going again!!!

I'm ready for Moffatt to leave. I agree his stand alone episodes are great but I found myself losing interest during his tenure. I feel like the show lost a lot of what I loved about it, like he was trying to turn it into something it wasn't. I found his plots to be a tad convoluted. I honestly only made it through Clara by gritting my teeth and trudging through simply because its obviously important to know what went on but ugh, I hated her character with Smith. I was kind of surprised that I started to not hate her towards the end of her time but I was happy to see her go.

I really like Bill. There is something that slightly irks me about her but I can't put my finger on it, might just be that she's new lol

I don't have any ideas on who should be the new Doctor but so help me I hope its not a woman. Disagree all you want but I do not want a female Doctor. I'm actually a bit sad we didn't get a bit more of Capaldi without Clara. I'm interested to see how Bill handles a regeneration. For some reason I can see it being hard on her.

Make him Ginger.

How do you guys feel about Nardole? I love him!!!
The beauty community has become the HSN of YouTube

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

Post by ColourlessGreenIdeas »

It really is a pity that Capaldi didn't stay on for the next series - it would have been really interesting to see what his character would have been like under a different showrunner.

I really wasn't that taken with Clara, honestly. I was kind of over her after her first series, and I don't really know why she got so much time on the show...

Also (we all knew this question was coming): Jodie Whittaker as the new Doctor? What do you guys think? I personally want to leave it pretty open until we actually see her acting in the show. I've only really seen her in that one episode of Black Mirror, and she was good, but she wasn't exactly on Capaldi and Tennant's level imo... I've heard that she is really good in Broadchurch though.

I hope this next series of Doctor Who takes itself more seriously. Even this series just gone was full of references to selfies and emojis, obviously a desperate attempt to connect with younger audiences (and it was so obvious because it just didn't work with the rest of the script at all). Casting Jodie Whittaker as the next Doctor was clearly a risky move (just look at the responses from some of the fan base on Twitter and Facebook), so I hope Chibnall isn't too afraid to make the next series a bit darker.

ReaSnakespeare
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ReaSnakespeare »

I do hope we can regenerate this thread :D

The original poster asked who our favourite Doctor was. This is really difficult for me because, until Capaldi, Tom Baker was MY Doctor. However, I cannot decide whether my Doctor is Baker or Capaldi, so I will have to say that Baker is my original and Capaldi is my reboot Doctor. I am not happy that Capaldi decided to leave, but to be honest, I don't blame him, the scripts and storylines he had to work with were abysmal. Am I happy with the next regeneration? I can't say, I will wait to see what happens there, I am happy to give anyone a chance.

Earlier in this thread, there had been mention of Clara, so I thought I might as well give you my thoughts. Clara began her stint as a companion really well, she was a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately, due to rubbish writing and storylines, she became annoying and I recall in one episode Capaldi uttered the line "I am not your boyfriend". I was not sorry to see that character go, however, I have to say, I made a point of watching Jenna Coleman on Victoria and thought she was wonderful.

Are there any Whovians out there still? If so, I would be interested to know which regeneration of the Master you prefer, and also, which 'monster' scared you the most? For me, there is only one Master, the late, great Roger Delgado. As for the monsters, I found the Voc Robots were incredibly scary.
Be yourself, no matter what they say

Monster_Guru33
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Monster_Guru33 »

What did everyone think of Jodie's first series? Anyone like it? Hate it?

Trying to resurrect this thread in an attempt to get Who talking again.

Post by Guest »

Monster_Guru33 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 pm
What did everyone think of Jodie's first series? Anyone like it? Hate it?

Trying to resurrect this thread in an attempt to get Who talking again.
:tu:
To answer the original question: Eccelston and Tennant were my favourites, and Capaldi brought his own unique flair to it, so they share top spot in my mind. I haven't had the pleasure of watching the older series, but plan to soon.

With regards to Jodie, I'm still unsure. She was so confused, emotional and conflicted about everything, and that's not The Doctor's character, really. I thought Jodie was fantastic in Broadchurch so it's not her that I'm struggling with, but this new, seemingly weaker version of The Doctor doesn't sit right. I'll need to watch some more before I can decide because this version may improve as the story arc progresses.

LeChatteNoir
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by LeChatteNoir »

I sorta lost interest after the first season of Capaldi. I loved him for the role, but the writing didn't reflect his acting skills.
RDF was hands-down the better writer than Moffat. Which is weird because the episodes he wrote for previous doctors were so good. Maybe he just got burned out cranking out episode after episode, idk.

I haven't caught any of the episodes with Jodie in them but my husband insists they're good

My original Doctor will always be 9, and I have a hard time ranking 10 and 11.
Matt Smith's companions, The Ponds and River, were my favorite ones, I cried so hard after their last episode.

Years later and I'm still salty about it being taken off Netflix.

WallflowerReads
Learner
Learner

Post by WallflowerReads »

combatbootprincess wrote:
Mon May 06, 2013 7:47 pm
Sorry if this is already a topic. :D
Who is your favorite doctor?
What are your opinions on 'Whovians'?
And anything else...

To answer my own questions 8-) , I prefer David Tennent and the fangirls are really annoying. I can't go on Pintrest without seeing a bunch of O.M.G FEZZES R THE BEST THING EVURRRR!! and so on. I haven't seen any classic Who, I was born long after it was cancled. :toad:
I know, old post, but I'm new around here. Lol

My husband made me watch this show a few years ago. It was his favorite show, but I figured I wouldn't really enjoy it much because I don't really like scifi. But it ended up becoming my favorite show of all time!

I cried when 9 left, and my husband assured me that I would probably end up liking Tennant even more. I thought that was impossible, but he was right. I'd have to say I *think* Tennant is my favorite, however, Smith is a very, very, very close second. Maybe just tied for first.

I wasn't sure about Capaldi at first, mostly because the writing went a little crazy around the time he first started on the show. But I warned up to him and I love him too now. But he and Eccleston are still slightly below Smith and Tennant for me.

As for companions, I really like Rose and Donna, and River as well, but Clara Oswald is my absolute favorite. I just adore her.

Return to “Sci-Fi”