Apartment advice

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Apartment advice

Post by TaylorKnows » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm

So I do want to move out ASAP. I love my family but I know if I stay here, I'm gonna lose my sanity. Ideally I wouldn't move out until at least August so I'll have saved some money, plus I'll have my savings, I'll be 18 and about to start college. I'm not telling my family this plan right now because the last time I did, it became a running joke and I don't need that. I've been trying to find places in my area but with no luck. Searching for a job right now, but it's hard since I'm not 18 finding a job that's gonna pay a good rate. But I turn 18 in 24 days so that's good. Any tips for first time renting? I doubt I'll be able to find anyone to rent with me. I have friends but they all live out of town and they work in that town so if they got a place, they'd live there and I don't want to move there because I'm going to school in this town and will most likely be taking the bus everywhere since I cannot drive and taking the bus to two different cities everyday would be a bit much. On top of it, I'll be helping my mom run a home daycare so that'll bring in a little extra cash (I get 30% of the profits). Anyway, any first time renter's advice? I'm so lost and confused. I live in America, if that helps, in New England, CT to be exact and that's a really pricey area but I don't have the money or the balls to move out of state right now. Thanks for any and all advice.

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant: An elephant's faithful one hundred percent,"-Horton Hears A Who

Kleineganz

Re: Apartment advice

Post by Kleineganz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Make sure to have renters insurance. Use online rental sites and read reviews. Plan a budget so you know how much you can afford.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:21 am

^ Agreed. Does your college have an orientation or FB group for incoming freshmen? You might be able to find a roommate that way, but rooming with someone you don't know well is always a gamble. Otherwise, definitely read reviews online and if possible talk to people who live there now. A budget is also extremely important. You'll want to know if utilities are separate or included, and you'll have to consider whether or not you want to purchase Internet and/or TV. You'd also have to purchase furniture, kitchenware, other household items (cleaning products, laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc.), buy your own food... there's a lot to consider. I would recommend waiting until you get a job, at least.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks guys. I go to a college with no dorms (community) but I will ask around and see if they have that program. Hopefully I'll hear back from something soon so I can seriously start this process. I'm gonna go craycray until I do.

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant: An elephant's faithful one hundred percent,"-Horton Hears A Who

nothinggold
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Post by nothinggold » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Uh, good luck.
As mentioned, read reviews. Don't end up in the ghetto. Run the numbers multiple times. It's going to be tricky on your own. I live in a cheap area, make a bit above minimum wage, work full time, and I don't think I could afford moving out alone. Think long and hard about this because there are a lot of factors that go into moving out as mentioned above. I would make sure you have an established job and know how many hours you'll be working with school and how much a week that'll bring with taxes and all that good stuff. Moving out alone is really expensive as is working full time and going to school full time. You also should probably try to have a good safety net saved up before you leave. What if your car breaks down, how will you pay for it? What if your hours get cut one week at work? What if you have to call in sick one day and don't have personal time yet so that's a day's pay you lose?
I'd really think about this before you take the plunge. There's no shame in staying with mom and dad, you save a lot of money and if you work and go to school, you won't even be home a lot to be annoyed by your family.
Yeezy Taught Me

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:22 am

Yeah, I know it's a lot to take in, but I can't stay here. It's not about annoyance, it's about our family dynamic and how screwed up it is. My father and I do not have a good relationship at all, we barely tolerate each other because we have to. And I'd rather leave on my own terms then get kicked out. I don't know. Now things are different because I'm planning on switching to an out of state school in 2014 so I'd be out of the house for long extended period of time anyway so getting my own place would be a wash since I'd have to give it up after just a year and there would go all of my savings. So I don't know what I'm going to do yet. Getting a job is my first step and then I'll go from there.

Return to “Home”