Any other writers here?

thismustbetheplace
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any other writers here?

Post by thismustbetheplace »

What do you guys write? How prolific are you? Have you been published? Do you want to be published, or do you just write for your own personal joy? Do you want to make it into your full-time career?

I have always kind of thought of myself as a writer, even when I was little. However, the last two years of high school and four years of college have kind of crushed that spirit out of me, since I have no time or energy to myself anymore, and I am majoring in molecular and cellular biology which is about as far as you can get from being a writer. Last night I stayed up until almost 4 A.M. writing the first 10 pages of a pilot for a TV series that I've been thinking about writing for a really long time. Who knows if it will ever get anywhere, but for me when I write, I really understand what people mean when they say "labor of love." Sure it would suck to not have it come to fruition, but in a way, if I end up with a finished product that is perfect to my standards, it still would feel like it was worth it. I don't know if I'd ever be brave enough or confident enough in my writing ability to try to make it into my full-time career, but maybe someday. I know I still have a long way to go if that's ever going to happen.

Min
Informer
Informer

Re: Any other writers here?

Post by Min »

I'm a writer, but not in that sense. I write articles and features for various sites online. Lately I've been writing more articles for Yahoo Health. I've never ventured into print for many reasons -- horrific payment schedule and I don't fancy spending months getting one article completed when I have to pay bills...

I also do beauty blogging for fun.

I was writing a book for like a year, but I lost the passion and my friend gave me crits that totally bummed me out. I don't think fiction writing is for me. That friend of mine recently got her own book published though and I'm really happy for her. Maybe someday that will be me...

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

I should have been a writer. I hadn't written anything in 10 years and then I took a short story writing class last summer and I really enjoyed it. When we workshopped the stories at the end, everyone loved it and I felt really proud. I was fictionalizing things that had actually happened to me though and making them a lot more interesting. So, when it comes to making something up completely, I don't know how well I would do.

I couldn't take all the criticism though or the pressure of doing it for a living. My professor was a writer who had been trying for a long time to get published. It's inspiring that she won't give up and I hope she is able to get published soon. I just can't imagine working very long and hard on something only to have it rejected time after time. I'm not trying to be discouraging. It would just be a discouraging situation for me.

Persistence is key. I just think you have to really want it and it sounds like you do. :)

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

My heart is in psychology, but I've been writing stories since I was 6. I don't think I could be brave enough to take it up as a career. I would love to take creative writing classes in my life alongside the other things I'm doing, just to get more enjoyment out of it. It's my hobby, really. Recently I just haven't found the time, but I'd like to get into it again.

Slagg
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Slagg »

I write songs and poetry; poetry since 10, songs since 16 (seriously). More of a requirement for life than anything .
I WISH YOU WOULD, bitch nozzle.

okaay
Informer
Informer

Post by okaay »

Songs only.
I've been doing it for 3 years, and only 1 seriously.

Return to “Writing”