Random Thread is Random: Debit, Credit, or Cash?

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Random Thread is Random: Debit, Credit, or Cash?

Post by LadyKaiko »

How do you like to buy things? I almost always use my debit card to buy things. I HATE cash, and I refuse to get a credit card (mainly because I really don't understand how to use a credit card...seriously!). When I pay things with cash, I try to be exact. Like, something costs $5.79 for example, I will look for change to make sure I pay it exactly so I won't get change back or if I don't have $5, give them like, $10.79 so I'll get $5 back. I fucking hate change. Lol

well wait idk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: Random Thread is Random: Debit, Credit, or Cash?

Post by well wait idk »

always debit
i never want to own a credit card, there are way too many things i want to buy to have one lol

i pay cash sometimes but i rarely have more than $5 cash on me

smiley
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by smiley »

It depends on what I'm purchasing. I usually pay cash for small purchases and use debit for larger ones. As for credit cards, I have two which I barely use. I can say, with confidence, I have no credit card debt whatsoever.
Last edited by smiley on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peachesnoranges
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by peachesnoranges »

I use my visa for when I shop online only. I use my debit a lot but my account type has a maximum number of transactions and if I go over they charge me so I've started to carry cash for small purchases like food.

laurie
Debater
Debater

Post by laurie »

i rarely carry cash, so debit card. it's just so much easier. but, i find that if i only have cash, i'm less likely to buy unnecessary stuff because i "feel it" more? like counting out $20 and giving it to the cashier vs. swiping a card that magically removes $20 from my account. ya know.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@smiley: That's good that you don't have credit card debt! ^_^ My parents had it and it took them years to pay it off. One of the reasons why I don't want a credit card because of a fear of debt. I'm already in debt right now (I have a car loan to pay off). I don't need more debt.
@peachesnoranges: What kind of crap...What bank are you with?? Sorry if I sound intrusive, you don't have to tell me. It's just that my bank only focuses on ATM transactions, not debit transactions, so it shocked me. Lol

peachesnoranges
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

LadyKaiko wrote:@smiley: That's good that you don't have credit card debt! ^_^ My parents had it and it took them years to pay it off. One of the reasons why I don't want a credit card because of a fear of debt. I'm already in debt right now (I have a car loan to pay off). I don't need more debt.
@peachesnoranges: What kind of crap...What bank are you with?? Sorry if I sound intrusive, you don't have to tell me. It's just that my bank only focuses on ATM transactions, not debit transactions, so it shocked me. Lol
No worries! :P I'm from Canada so the bank I'm with is called TD. There's ATM transactions too. I have a student account so that might be why. I think I can use my debit 22 (which is a lot in a sense but I never use to use cash) times a month or I get charged extra.

allcarriedaway
Talker
Talker

Post by allcarriedaway »

Usually cash, sometimes debit, never credit. I'd like to get a credit card soon though to start building up some credit, but I'm admittedly not a very disciplined person and the last thing I want is to go into any kind of debt, but I plan to only buy things that I know for sure I'll be able to pay off.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@peachesnoranges: TD as in TD America? (I mean, you do live in Canada so it's more than likely not that. Haha) My last job was where I scribed financial recordings for American and Canadian customers, so I heard TD America a lot. Lol. But that's so odd. My bank will charge me if I make too many ATM withdrawals per quarter but never debit transations. I can't remember how many though so I need to find out before I get charged! D:

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@allcarriedaway: Maybe you can build credit with a cell phone plan or car or tv or something? I'm building credit with the car loan that I'm paying off, and my boyfriend is building credit with the the tv he bought from Farmer's Furniture.

Chelsea
Talker
Talker

Post by Chelsea »

Cash for in person, when I shop online I have a card that you add your money on to the card rather then credit card

peachesnoranges
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

LadyKaiko wrote:@peachesnoranges: TD as in TD America? (I mean, you do live in Canada so it's more than likely not that. Haha) My last job was where I scribed financial recordings for American and Canadian customers, so I heard TD America a lot. Lol. But that's so odd. My bank will charge me if I make too many ATM withdrawals per quarter but never debit transations. I can't remember how many though so I need to find out before I get charged! D:
TD Canada Trust. It sucks because it was nice not having to carry cash around. But then at some places if you spend under $5 they charge you a 25 cents or something extra if you use debit or credit. Yeah find out before you end up paying extra. :P

allisoonnn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by allisoonnn »

I use my debit card mostly, but it's just slightly above cash. Like someone else said, I'm more likely to spend more when I use my debit card because it feels like more when I count all my cash at the register and then I feel bad and put things back or return them later. I'm too scared to have a credit card.. I'm not one to go crazy with money, but just the idea of having "unlimited" money frightens me and I never want to be in debt ever. My whole family is in horrible debt and broke so I'm trying my best to steer my life in another direction.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

I also hate to carry cash, and I had a bad credit card addiction for a long time (I went through several cycles and in total paid off about $63,000 in credit card debt with the help of a credit card counseling service). These days I only use a debit card, except for business purchases (for that I have a business Amex card, and that I pay off right away).

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@Kleineganz: Holy shit! Thank you for giving me another reason to not get a credit card. Lol. I already have an addictive personality (I'm an internet junkie, especially with Facebook), I don't want to add credit card junkie to my list because I do love money...Glad I'm not the only one who hates cash though. Lol

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

Cash, I only use debit when I don't have enough cash, I'm underage (17) and I don't think I can get a credit card yet, but as soon as I turn 18 I'm gonna get a credit card because I mainly want it for online shopping and several sites only accept credit.

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Post by Winter song »

The worst decision I ever made was getting a credit card. I have thankfully always been able to pay it off every month because I would somehow always end up spending the exact dollar amount I earned except for the past few holiday months. It stresses me out so much not seeing the amount I owe at '0' and since I work very little trying to focus on school, I usually end up spending what I pay off so the amount doesn't budge - driving me crazy. I vowed as soon as I am done paying this money off, I will not touch a credit card again. I am not overly spendy but I get in the habit of telling myself "I'll pay for this with my next check" so I never have any extra money and all of it goes to my credit card bill when I should be saving money. When I think about how much money I've earned since having a job (I've only worked for a couple of years) and that I practically spent everything, including what I had saved, it kills me.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

debit. One day, I'll get a credit card, but it's hard to actually remember that credit cards can be used correctly. I've never gotten one because they scared me after I saw the debt that people put themselves in when they don't make their payments. My husband has shown me that credit cards aren't an issue as long as you make your payments on time and of course: don't spend more than you have or will have soon.

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Primadxnna »

I'm stuck with cash. :x
And my dad gets me anything I want that involves a credit card.
My mom is too lazy to take time and get me a debit card, and I can't do it without a parent or guardian.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@Wonderland: Maybe your dad or an adult relative can take you to get a debit card? Also, who is in your avatar? She looks like Marina and the Diamonds.

Return to “Finance”