Fifty Shades of Grey

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey Books

Post by Forever Eccentric »

So, I decided to let myself read a few chapters. This book is complete shit and the sex scenes are repulsive.

hanmyo
Talker
Talker

Post by hanmyo »

@notacelebworshiper you couldn't have said it better.

I read all three after a friend begged me to read them because she found them so ridiculous. I knew from the first page that the writing was going to be struggling to get through. Over all the 2nd book is the better one but that's like saying the second time you caught food poisoning wasn't so bad.

What annoyed me was the over use of words like "flush" and CONSTANTLY saying how attractive christian is. We get it, he's hot, calm down.
I read some out loud to my husband because I was laughing while reading it. He couldn't understand why women like it.

Oh and her referring to her vagina as her "sex" made me cringe every time I read it. Sex is an act, not a body part.
"Would you censor the Venus de Venus just because you can see her spewers?"

MakeupGirly
Informer
Informer

Post by MakeupGirly »

I read the first one and it was horrible. I couldn't look past the bad writing. To be honest, so far the only people I have come across who actually enjoyed it were people who never read books and aren't very cultured. Not saying that is the way everyone who likes it are, but just what I've observed with people in real life. It was the first book my 18 year old friend read cover to cover, and she adores the books. I also find it funny that reading this book is acceptable, but if you said you read erotic stories online, people would look at you like you were a freak.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

Gosh, so I saw that my sister has them, she's 34 and she said that her stepmom (who is 53) liked them but that they're unreal.

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paperbackwriter »

hanmyo wrote:@notacelebworshiper you couldn't have said it better.

I read all three after a friend begged me to read them because she found them so ridiculous. I knew from the first page that the writing was going to be struggling to get through. Over all the 2nd book is the better one but that's like saying the second time you caught food poisoning wasn't so bad.

What annoyed me was the over use of words like "flush" and CONSTANTLY saying how attractive christian is. We get it, he's hot, calm down.
I read some out loud to my husband because I was laughing while reading it. He couldn't understand why women like it.

Oh and her referring to her vagina as her "sex" made me cringe every time I read it. Sex is an act, not a body part.
I think saying something is a 'sex' is pretty common as far as low-grade erotica online and like, romance novels called "Taken by a Highlander" or something go. What i want to know is why 50 Shades isn't lumped in with everything with Fabio on the cover and instead gets its own sort of 'genre''? Who decided this and why?

beautyjunkie
Talker
Talker

Who should play Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades movie?

Post by beautyjunkie »

So apparently they're coming out with a Fifty Shades of Grey movie. :-o It's going to be interesting to see how they adapt it to be cinema appropriate. Who do you think would be the perfect actor to play Christian Grey?

I think Matt Bomer would be amazing :love2: That man is freakishly gorgeous. I heard that Ian Somerhalder is also a possibility.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Who should play Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades movie

Post by Diorette »

If I see it, I'll make sure I go before eating or I will throw up.
Ian and Matt are the best options.

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Those are going to be the most awkward trailers to watch since I go to the movies with my dad every week. Ugh.

beautyjunkie
Talker
Talker

Post by beautyjunkie »

Bunny wrote:Those are going to be the most awkward trailers to watch since I go to the movies with my dad every week. Ugh.
I feel your pain. I've had some bad luck with watching seemingly harmless, non-sexual movies with my parents and then....bam....sex scene. :?

Fadia Fiji
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Fadia Fiji »

leni wrote:I stumbled across a Tumblr post a few weeks ago written by a woman in an actual sub/dom BDSM relationship in regards to 50 Shades. She said the relationship portrayed in the book is completely out of touch with how most functional BDSM relationships work, since there was no contract, no safe word, no way for the woman to really look after herself if it happened to go wrong. I haven't read the book so I don't know for sure, but it was definitely interesting reading that point of view.
There were safe words and a contract.
They debated the contract but she never signed it, and also, she never used any of the safe words even though she begged him to beat her and when he did, she just took it though she was in pain, cried afterwards and left him.

As for the books:
I'm currently on the second book, how they got back together and everything was forgotten was pretty ridiculous, and then she got mad because of his past and shit.. I mean, seriously, if you can't handle it, why go back to it?

The first book was funny.. oh my, inner goddess, subconscious, holy crap/shit..etc, long fingers: abused as hell.
The writing was really bad and the communication between the characters is very unrealistic.. Don't really know what else to say but it was extremely poor.

CLG2007
Informer
Informer

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by CLG2007 »

Oh my......

Pinkiegurf24
Debater
Debater

Post by Pinkiegurf24 »

I tried, and I will say i really tried to like this book.
I took it upon myself to BUY the damn thing because my freaking curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. Well I literally wasted $14.

This book is a piece of sh*t. I'm guessing the writer must have been hopped up on crack while she wrote it, but I swear her writing sounds like something a perverted 10 year old could do. Not to mention the oh so clique quotes like "oh shit!' or "holy fuck!" I swear my teeth were gritting through the part of the book I did read (I got to page 50 before I started having migraines and stopped). I'm guessing the only reason why this book became so popular is because narrow minded housewives never gotten a hold of some real erotica books until this one. The only good parts were the sex scenes, but the cheesy clique dialogue was so horrible that it even made those parts bad.

"Anastasia don't like your lips like that, or I'll have to fvck you"

please bitch..... :roll:

barelythick
Talker
Talker

Post by barelythick »

Terribly written, and it perpetuates the idea that sexual fetishes are always a result of childhood trauma and are not normal.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

I used to hate it and I like it now :raging: :oops:

FFL
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FFL »

I've never read it and I have no desire to, but I saw this on YouTube and thought it was hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqkNYfKZV6s

starrynight
Talker
Talker

50 Shades of Grey

Post by starrynight »

Just finished reading the trilogy and I am obsessed! Can't wait for the movie to come out. Here are my favorites to play the characters:

Christian-Matt Bomer

Anastasia Steele-

Saoirse Ronan

OR

Alexandra Daddario

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

It was terribly written and really should have stayed a FanFic. Idk what was worse, Twilight or Fifty Shades.
But I will say this, if you do read the whole trilogy there is a decent story behind all of the dirty bits and shitty writing. If a good writer could have taken the basic idea of Fifty Shades--fucked up guy who was molested as a child and uses S&M as an outlet meets a girl and has to come to terms with his abuse and reconcile his past so that he can have a future--this could have been a solid piece of literature.

Batila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Batila »

I loved this series no shame. As a child i loved reading and as an adult i found it hard finding books that held my interest long enough to finish the book. This series made me fall in love with reading again idc if people call it trash.

What i loved was the lovestory the sex scenes were corny. After FSOG i read "Bared to you" and i hated tho

KatherinePierce
Debater
Debater

Post by KatherinePierce »

I found a PDF online and read a few chapters, just to see what all the hype was about, I got to right around the part where Ana considers/does the contract, whatever (it was a year ago ok don't judge me, I don't really remember) and I stopped reading. I couldn't take the writing. It wasn't well written. It was nothing a few writing classes couldn't have helped, but whatever. To each their own, I suppose.

I'm really interested to see how it will translate on screen, though.
I used to be bitemytonguex.

lacrymosa
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by lacrymosa »

I hype read this back when it was all the rage, got easily fed up of how repetitive it was, got to the sex scene where Christian got her off with a flannel in the bath, laughed, chucked it in the bin the next day. Will i go see the film though? Probably.

Return to “Literature”