What are you reading right now?

geisha89
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What are you reading right now?

Post by geisha89 »

So, I thought we could do some mini-reviews of the books we are reading at the moment. We do have a thread for favourite books or authors, but this would be a good place to put books that we didn't like too, and say exactly why.

I am currently on the third book in the Millennium Trilogy and, I have to say, I don't know why I waited so long to read these. The first one was only a little disappointing, since I expected it to be more about Salander herself, but the second one was brilliant. It revealed so much about her life and was so exciting, to the point where I was checking the percentage on my Kindle and thinking, "There's only 5% of the book left, come on! Tell us the important bit!" I think they are so well written and, like I said, I don't know why I took so long getting around to reading them.

The book I read before that was Lolita and... my God. I do not recommend it if you're easily sickened. As much as I want to say that I read this for some grand literary reason (considering my major was English Literature), I would be lying. I picked it up because of Pretty Little Liars (embarrassing, I know) and I regret it. It was interesting at first, but I just got bored of it and only kept on reading to find out if Humbert eventually got what was coming to him. I always assumed Lolita was the story of a perfectly normal man who discovered a love for ONE little girl and couldn't help his feelings, which would be wrong in itself, but upon reading the book, I discovered our Humbert is a sick individual with a strong lust for 'Nymphets' that he tries to justify by telling the reader of a failed sexual encounter he had when he was younger, and claims that the 'Nymphets' (as he calls them) remind him of that encounter, which is why he is so attracted to them. Like I said, interesting at first, but then it just got boring and I couldn't wait for it to end. I picked this up out of curiosity and I wish I had never done so.

I thought I'd put in two since I started this thread: One I liked and one I didn't like.

So, go on. What are you reading?
A celebrity is one who is known to many persons he is glad he doesn't know - Lord Byron

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

I really want to read Lolita but it sounds disturbing.

I'm reading A Clockwork Orange for college. Makes zero sense to me.

geisha89
Lurker
Lurker

Post by geisha89 »

I know what you mean. I read it a few years ago and wasn't sure what to think. I'll probably read it again.

If you're curious about Lolita, give it a shot. It's not amazing amounts of disturbing, as he never really describes anything in detail, but reading about the feelings he has for young girls just made me feel wrong.
A celebrity is one who is known to many persons he is glad he doesn't know - Lord Byron

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

I just finished Flying Changes by Sarah Gruen. I loved it. Its about horses and I have a horse and used to ride. I could identify with a lot of the story. It may be something only horsey people get but it's light hearted and sweet.
Next I'm going to read The Red Church. It was cheap on Kindle and sounded like a good horror book. I may go to the library today and get something else, though.

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

I'm itching to finish Gossip Girl because I'm only one book and the prequel away from finishing the series, but I've been bogged down with textbook reading, so I don't feel like reading anymore at the end of the day! I'm hoping to finish it on a couple upcoming breaks.

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

kittykat wrote:I'm itching to finish Gossip Girl because I'm only one book and the prequel away from finishing the series, but I've been bogged down with textbook reading, so I don't feel like reading anymore at the end of the day! I'm hoping to finish it on a couple upcoming breaks.
The prequel is great :halo: I lost my copy though.

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

BrunetteBarbie wrote:
kittykat wrote:I'm itching to finish Gossip Girl because I'm only one book and the prequel away from finishing the series, but I've been bogged down with textbook reading, so I don't feel like reading anymore at the end of the day! I'm hoping to finish it on a couple upcoming breaks.
The prequel is great :halo: I lost my copy though.
Good to know. I wasn't so sure about it. My best friend lent it to me though, so I can keep it for a while until I get around to reading it!

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

I'm currently reading The Hobbit - oddly I've read LOTR and The Silmarillion but never got around to reading this one. So far I really like it; I'm rather surprised at how funny and easy to read it is. The next book I'm planning to read is Stardust. :D

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

Pride and Prejudice

I love it, and I'm nearly done with it :) like 80-100 pages left.
Unfortunately, my book is not well-edited, I was in page 320 and the next page was 290 -.- and then after skipping to the other 320 page, at 350 it went to 390.

SmileyXo
Talker
Talker

Post by SmileyXo »

I started to re read this series I LOVED when I was 13-14 again during the summer. It's called the Private Series by Kate Brian, I love the books and the author! :) They may be short, and a little cliche however I still find it an amazing series. It has suspense, your typical teenage drama, and romance too along with a lot of mystery! I'd say if you're still a gossip girl fan, then this series it for you.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Game of Thrones - almost done with the first book. I'm trying to hurry up and finish because the newest Terry Brooks book in the Shannara series is out and I need to read that next!

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paperbackwriter »

Sonia wrote:I'm currently reading The Hobbit - oddly I've read LOTR and The Silmarillion but never got around to reading this one. So far I really like it; I'm rather surprised at how funny and easy to read it is. The next book I'm planning to read is Stardust. :D
I just finished the Hobbit! I have such a gorgeous copy.
Currently reading Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler and the second Percy Jackson.

Next I'm reading Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews :D

geisha89
Lurker
Lurker

Post by geisha89 »

Kleineganz wrote:Game of Thrones - almost done with the first book. I'm trying to hurry up and finish because the newest Terry Brooks book in the Shannara series is out and I need to read that next!
I swear, you have a lot in common with my mother. Game of Thrones, Shannara, R.A Salvatore. Tell me you like Jeffrey Deaver and I think I'll be confronting her when I next see her about her secret internet life!

oxprincessxo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oxprincessxo »

Currently reading:

Room by Emma Donohue (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, too lazy to search it or check the actual book.)
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (Re-reading, this is one of my favorites)
Animal Farm by George Orwell

Laina
Talker
Talker

Post by Laina »

I'm currently reading Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, Insurgent by Veronica Roth, and Silence of the Lambs.

Almost done Insurgent, its great. Will update :P I'm not far enough into the other two to give any grand reviews just yet.

bunnyx0
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bunnyx0 »

I'm not actually reading these at the moment but I have to read them and do reports on all four of these by next Tuesday. 1984 by George Orwell and Nickle and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich, both are required for AP Language. Then I have to do two other summer reading books so I decided on After Summer by Nick Earls and Looking for Alaska by John Green. I'm not excited to read any of these because I'm the lazy turd on the planet.

Sunkissedlove
Informer
Informer

Post by Sunkissedlove »

SmileyXo wrote:I started to re read this series I LOVED when I was 13-14 again during the summer. It's called the Private Series by Kate Brian, I love the books and the author! :) They may be short, and a little cliche however I still find it an amazing series. It has suspense, your typical teenage drama, and romance too along with a lot of mystery! I'd say if you're still a gossip girl fan, then this series it for you.

Omg I love those books! :oops: haha that's actually the series I'm reading right now and I'm almost done :( I'm 14 so that explains it I guess. But I've been busy with school starting so I don't have much time to read.

Bluffology
Informer
Informer

Post by Bluffology »

I am currently reading The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. I read her other book The Lovely Bones and it was fantastic, so I thought I might like this one. Haven't gotten too far into it yet, but hopefully it will be just as good!

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

geisha89 wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:Game of Thrones - almost done with the first book. I'm trying to hurry up and finish because the newest Terry Brooks book in the Shannara series is out and I need to read that next!
I swear, you have a lot in common with my mother. Game of Thrones, Shannara, R.A Salvatore. Tell me you like Jeffrey Deaver and I think I'll be confronting her when I next see her about her secret internet life!
LOL Nope I'm not your mom! I never heard of Jeffrey Deaver. My mom actually got me into the Shannara series - she had the first 3 books, and I've collected all the rest over the years.

Key
Learner
Learner

Post by Key »

Other than re-reading Harry Potter, I'm also reading 'Almost Moon' by Alice Sebold.

Return to “Literature”