Post by Emerald »

Continue here...

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Joey Graceffa Part 2

Post by illegal_mind »

well, it's probably best to add a link to part 1, so here http://gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=186
JDBgirl yes, he looked really out of place. sam and louis aren't exactly the type of people he normally hangs out with (cyr was in the vlog too but i didn't hear him say a word)
The Internet knows all your secrets

FAKEBLOOD
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Post by FAKEBLOOD »

Which do you consider more personal — discussing his sexuality (which his fans constantly ask about in the comments of all his videos); discussing his neglectful, alcoholic mother; or discussing his learning disability caused by ingesting lead? I'm not saying this to stir the pot, I really just want to know what people think. Everybody ALWAYS asks about his sexuality, yet he chooses to volunteer the other information (which in my opinion is more personal) instead of just answering probably the most asked question from his fans.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

you're absolutely right. i'd rather announce my sexuality to ~400k people than telling them such personal things like my mom having an alcohol problem or me having to go to special ed because of lead poisoning. the alcoholic mother is the most personal one out of the three and most people, when there's an alcoholism problem with a family member, don't tell to anyone outside the family, unless it's a close friend and they feel the need to vent. he said several times that he was embarrassed to be in special ed and he tried to hide it as hard as he could and then he worked super hard so he wouldn't be in special ed in high-school, but he has no problem talking about that. the less personal one is, without a doubt, his sexuality, sexuality is something people share more often than alcoholism or a learning disability

Syd
Learner
Learner

Post by Syd »

There's a bit of a difference, though. There are many hateful bigoted people out there who treat those who are out like scum of the Earth, and would send horrible messages to him, perhaps even threats (once he has national attention from being on Amazing Race). While he probably has had some of that already, being he is about to be exposed to millions of people who can easily look up his channel, it would be even more likely. And you know, some people just don't want to be told they're going to burn in hell for being gay, and told how they're disgusting people.

His mom being an alcoholic and his brother being autistic, while personal, are not things he can be slurred for. If people insult them, it's hurtful, but it's not along the lines of "die f-word".

There's also the inherent offensiveness that someone needs to declare their sexuality in a video. People have asked if he's gay and he's said he's not. Whether anyone believes him or not, I don't see why anyone feels that ANYONE should have to make an "I'm gay!/I'm not gay!" video to quell the curiosities of strangers, whether or not he's choosing to put a lot of his life out there.

cheekycharles
Informer
Informer

Post by cheekycharles »

^^^When has Joey ever said that he is not gay? Where is the screenshot?

I can understand him not making a big deal with telling us he is gay but it just seems like he tip-toes around the issue which is odd.

FAKEBLOOD
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FAKEBLOOD »

I'm just saying, he could have presented other personal things that he's volunteered to us in a roundabout manner... he could have just said that his relationship with his mother has been rocky, where the very personal details are left out. Instead he has flat out said before that she was negligent, potentially verbally abusive, and an alcoholic. I would never share that information with hundreds of thousands of strangers. I get the whole "it's none of your business" thing regarding his sexuality, but I don't think the intricate details of his family dysfunction, etc. are any of our business either... the only difference is, he volunteered those things... which brings me back to why would he volunteer one extremely personal thing but not some other not-as-personal (in my opinion, I guess) thing that he is frequently questioned about? I'm probably not making any sense now. To me it's just odd logic. I totally get how he can be ridiculed for saying he's gay... but if he isn't, what's the harm in just saying he's straight if in fact he is (and I'm talking in a video, not half-assedly or sarcastically in the comments section of his videos... I have never seen this personally and I don't believe screenshots without seeing him do it myself). But even in saying he's straight in a video, we go back to the it's none of our business point. But then that goes back to the fact that he volunteered more personal stuff, so why not this? It just goes around in circles.

Holy shit, I've managed to confuse myself now. Sorry 'bout that, y'all.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

he doesn't even need to make a huge deal out of it. crabstickz came out on twitter as bisexual because he wanted people to know, didn't want to make a big deal out of it and wanted to just keep doing what he does, his sexuality doesn't define him, and he doesn't let it define him. he has had sexuality rumors around him as well, perhaps not as much as joey because he doesn't have that big of a fanbase. if joey's gay, he doesn't need to make a coming out video, unless he wants too. he just needs to sit down in front of the camera, maybe at the end of a vlog, and say he needs to tell his viewers something. his sexuality doesn't change who he is, so he should try and face it how he feels more comfortable, but without making a big deal out of it. no one expects him to be like tyler oakley or daveywavey who constantly talk about gay rights and related topics, joey can continue doing what he's been doing all this time, film his daily life, he won't have to change a thing about himself, or about his channel.
and as FAKEBLOOD has said, if he's so comfortable saying, several times, that his mom was an alcoholic and that he had a learning disability, which are things way more personal than sexuality, he shouldn't have a problem just clarifying something everyone wants to know

AN0N.
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by AN0N. »

Syd wrote:
His mom being an alcoholic and his brother being autistic, while personal, are not things he can be slurred for. If people insult them, it's hurtful, but it's not along the lines of "die f-word".
I agree,
He gets umpteen amounts of pity and support for these issues. No one is going to hate on him or say mean things with those confessions.

While addressing his sexuality will give him support too, it will also bring hate.
So maybe that's why he doesn't want to talk about it. There's still too much stigma surrounding it. He's probably the type that's easily embarrassed, he could be ashamed of it and doesn't want to admit it.

cheekycharles
Informer
Informer

Post by cheekycharles »

I agree that it is weird that he shares so much of his life with his viewers but totally avoids his sexuality. He is a vlogger that shares really intimate details of his life but then ignores other really important aspects of life. It just seems like he is trying to hide something.
FAKEBLOOD wrote: Sorry 'bout that, y'all.
You probably said it jokingly but I still found it hilarious imagining a Canadian saying: sorry bout that, y'all.

cheekycharles
Informer
Informer

Post by cheekycharles »

AN0N. wrote: While addressing his sexuality will give him support too, it will also bring hate.
So maybe that's why he doesn't want to talk about it. There's still too much stigma surrounding it. He's probably the type that's easily embarrassed, he could be ashamed of it and doesn't want to admit it.
The people who are going to hate him for being gay already hate him for being "straight" because he acts so gay.

There is definitely a stigma but I doubt very many of his viewers are straight guys who would care if he is gay.

It is possible he is ashamed, but most guys who are ashamed of being gay try really hard not to appear gay.

Question: Is bisexuality in men socially accepted in Europe?

As a bisexual guy in the US it is not accepted and as a result there are practically no guys who publicly identify as bi. You have to choose a side because straight women find it repulsive and gay guys don't trust you.

FAKEBLOOD
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FAKEBLOOD »

I agree with everything illegal_mind said (as usual). This isn't some game-changing thing. He's still is and will always be the same person, even with the admission—straight or gay. And if he isn't gay, he would be setting the record straight (hah) and people would have something to reference when it's brought up in the comments of his videos, which it always will be.

I think ideally the situation—if he is gay—would have played out as follows:
• Joey's admission of being gay (pre-Amazing Race), resulting in a bit of confusion, perhaps a bit of disdain, but overall support from his true fans that have followed him and his YouTube career from now on
• Gaining respect for bravery and a new audience from the admission, as well as him being able to make a whole new slew of videos on more diverse topics
• Amazing Race starts
• Nasty, homophobic people leave comments on Joey's videos regarding his sexuality and behaviour
• Loyal fans come to defend Joey and his sexuality in a positive way (and a crazy way, of course... gotta have the crazy people)
• Issue blows over
• Joey moves on, can be happy not having to hide anything, etc.

But instead, I feel like this is how it's going to go:
• Amazing Race starts
• Joey gains new audience from Amazing Race viewers (who don't have any idea about what he has said in the past, so they have to catch up... but probably won't)
• Nasty, homophobic people leave comments on Joey's videos regarding his sexuality and behaviour
• Joey's insane, die-hard fans flood the comments section with "HE'S NOT GAY!~!!!11" comments
• Speculation of his potential homosexuality perpetuates
• This results in hate comments being left all over his social media outlets
• Joey is unhappy
• Joey becomes isolated

Maybe I'm wrong. That's just a little something I thought of off the top of my head. Anyone have other thoughts?

(By the way, I'm in no way trying to sound haughty and righteous here... and I'm not opposed to those who think that Joey is straight and want to voice their opinion, too. That's why this is a forum. We discuss stuff. I never want to come across as rude to someone on here.)

cheekycharles wrote:You probably said it jokingly but I still found it hilarious imagining a Canadian saying: sorry bout that, y'all.
Hah! I was really hoping you'd read it in Joey's hillbilly voice.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

i wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened exactly how you said on the "But instead, I feel like this is how it's going to go" part. and if he had come out before it'd most likely be like you said on "I think ideally the situation—if he is gay—would have played out as follows". unfortunately, it's to late now, the amazing race airs tomorrow and people will start making their opinion on him

FAKEBLOOD
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FAKEBLOOD »

I am definitely going to watch the Amazing Race tomorrow. In the preview that he showed in his video, he just seemed like a narcissistic, angry, self-righteous queen. I don't think he's going to tone down his behaviour for the show, either. I can't see people finding him likeable at all.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

he sounded so smug in that preview he showed. if people go watch the show with that idea of him, it's set that the audience won't like him, and if he acts like he did in that preview (which he probably will), the audience will probable hate him. well, it's not like they went very far, they didn't make it to the top3 and i don't think they stayed after new zealand because after that there were no more images of him and meghan in the race. i think new zealand was their last stop

cheekycharles
Informer
Informer

Post by cheekycharles »

illegal_mind wrote:he sounded so smug in that preview he showed. if people go watch the show with that idea of him, it's set that the audience won't like him, and if he acts like he did in that preview (which he probably will), the audience will probable hate him. well, it's not like they went very far, they didn't make it to the top3 and i don't think they stayed after new zealand because after that there were no more images of him and meghan in the race. i think new zealand was their last stop
I hope they made it farther than New Zealand or we will only have 2 or 3 episodes. I have only seen the pictures at the Auckland airport as well but hopefully they did make it a little farther.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

cheekycharles wrote:
illegal_mind wrote:he sounded so smug in that preview he showed. if people go watch the show with that idea of him, it's set that the audience won't like him, and if he acts like he did in that preview (which he probably will), the audience will probable hate him. well, it's not like they went very far, they didn't make it to the top3 and i don't think they stayed after new zealand because after that there were no more images of him and meghan in the race. i think new zealand was their last stop
I hope they made it farther than New Zealand or we will only have 2 or 3 episodes. I have only seen the pictures at the Auckland airport as well but hopefully they did make it a little farther.
when i was trying to find out who won (i wanted to see if "team youtube" had made it to the top 3), i barely saw anything about them, i really don't think they made it that far, after new zealand i saw nothing else about them

tictoc
Learner
Learner

Post by tictoc »

Oh no, don't give it away. :( Maybe Joey is just in the closet. He's not ready to come out yet.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

tictoc wrote:Oh no, don't give it away. :( Maybe Joey is just in the closet. He's not ready to come out yet.
if he's in the closet than the doors are completely open, he just needs to walk out, because i seriously doubt his friends and family don't know about it. the only people that don't know are his subs.
sorry for the spoiler, but i had posted before (on part 1) about him not making it to the top 3, so i didn't think it was that much of a big deal to say it again, especially since all you have to do it a little google search and find the right amazing race forum that'll tell you the top 3 finalists

GamerGirl1990
Informer
Informer

Post by GamerGirl1990 »

Of course they didn't make it far into the show. My guess is Joey is just gonna be portrayed at the whiny, flamboyant gay guy who just complains, acts really over the top and can't get much done. I think they will be the team that people make fun of, especially since so many non Youtubers don't understand Youtube and think it's weird or nerdy anyway. I actually really like both Meghan and Joey and I want them to do well. But Joey is a drama queen who constantly whines about his first world problems, acting as if waking up at 10 o clock is early and his day to day routine is somehow hard work. Regardless of how much training they've been doing in the gym, I just see him whining, getting frustrated and giving up on the challenges. I would have much rather seen Meghan go with Jimmy. I think it would have been way less drama and they would have worked better together. Maybe they'll prove me wrong but I don't see them getting far at all

Return to “Joey Graceffa”