Stealing

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Stealing

Post by wanderlust »

Did you ever have a habit of stealing things? I'm not asking you to talk about anything that you do now if you do it now.

When I was 14 (wow, nearly 11 years ago...), I stole Marykate and Ashley brand makeup as well as cheap jewelry. Back then, I couldn't afford to buy the things myself. I professed to be a Christian at the time and didn't really know how to justify my behavior to myself. I took a bookmark from a Christian bookstore once and gave it to one of my teachers. There were also other little things that cost $1 or less. When I was very young, I used to want the grocery store to be held up while I was there so I could hide under the register area and eat free candy :? LOL.

I haven't done it in years and would never do it again. I think that it resulted from a lot of unhappiness or something. Idk. I'm content now and if I want/need something, I will either buy it or save up until I can afford it, which is the way it should be. I can't see myself ever doing it again. When I think of someone stealing from others now, I think of the consequences and how hard people must have worked to get the things that they have. I never took anything from people directly, but I still think of it that way. There's just no desire to do it anymore.

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Re: Stealing

Post by HattieChaos »

At the ages of 12 and 13 in my first two years of high school, there was a trend among the people that skipped school. We were allowed out of school during lunch times and most people would either visit the massive park directly in front of the school, or walk the five minutes it took to get to the high street. The trend was that people would go into the supermarket and steal stuff for lunch, and then do the same during the skipped periods and get treats - almost always food. There was even a guy who would tell you the aisles that didn't have cameras in exchange for £2 per aisle. Seriously. And sometimes, people would go in before and smash the cameras and get in trouble just so that their girlfriends could go in afterwards and go to those aisles and steal. How romantic.

I was part of this group. Well.. Not really. I wasn't friends with any of them, but I did skip school due to immense bullying and so I'd usually lag behind and steal in their shadow. Then instead of eating my stuff along with them as they smoked cigarettes and weed and everything else altogether in the park, I'd sit on a bench far away from them and work with my textbooks on the subject I was missing. :D I'd actually often end up weeks ahead of everyone else so you could say it did me good.

It went hand in hand with what was happening at the time - My Mum was going through a rough patch which involved drug abuse and all her money began going to that. We didn't have very much food.

So you could say I did it for good reason. I would go with the crowd and we would go into the supermarket, get the stuff we wanted (usually just a shitload of sweets) and talk Very Loudly as we walked around the aisles gathering our food about how much money they cost and about how much money we had so we looked convincing.... What geniuses. Anyway, then we'd get to one of the aisles without a camera or with a busted one, and we'd stuff them into our school bags and walk out. I however, instead of just stealing a bunch of expensive sweets, would also fit in a bunch of stuff we could use for dinner that night. I fed my little brother and sister that way for about 4 months. I'd just tell my Mum that it was food my friend was bringing to school and saying she didn't want any more. A really silly story, but my Mum was too out of it to care most of the time. Any time I did steal sweets, I'd go for the expensive stuff I'd never hope to afford like Lindt and Ferrero Rocher. It was a big treat when I brought it home for my brother and sister. Probably the best 4 months of my brother's culinary life. :P

I ended up stopping just because I didn't need to any more and I just came to my proper senses, really, and realised how wrong it was. The group moved onto way worse stuff and they became unbearable to be with. I also began going back to school - Never did go back to PE though, bullying was not only the worst there but it was also by far the worst subject and I didn't have my intelligence on the subject to hide behind like I did in places like English and Science. I'd spend that time studying for the other subjects in school corridors and underneath stairs rather than going out with everyone else.

I'm not proud of it at all, and no one should be. It says a lot about the place I live that the majority of people still do this - and at way younger ages now. I think it was one of the only times I felt like I fit in, even though I didn't interact with the group at all. I was doing something the majority of kids were doing, which was an experience I did not have often.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

You guys were actually in need of food so for some reason, I feel like it was justified. You do what you have to do to get by, you know?

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

Once in 7th or 8th grade, I lost my lunch check and was scared to tell my mom, so I stole $10 from my dad. I found my check later on, but kept the money because Christmas was coming up and I needed some extra change to pay for stuff. I don't know if he ever knew or not. I know it's not much but it really stuck with me after that. I accidentally stole a voucher once from a store. I just forgot to put it back and I never put it back. But having been stolen from, I don't do it anymore. I've been tempted but let it go.

And I'm not against people stealing food when they need it. Some are, but if you need it, you need it. Yes, the store loses money but come on...people have to eat to live.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

That's a good thing to add--whether or not things have been stolen from you. I had a backpack stolen from me once. The laptop, condoms, and half-eaten bag of jelly beans were taken while the bag itself with schoolbooks in it was left in the middle of the road in the rain. I was just happy to have understanding professors and that my books weren't completely ruined. The laptop itself wasn't going to last much longer anyway, but it was still a terrible feeling having things taken from me that I'd paid for myself.

EveryJuan
Informer
Informer

Post by EveryJuan »

The only thing I've ever stolen is money from my mum - basically she never paid me any kind of allowance and her being a single mother, used the benefit money that she was getting for me for other things and not on me. I didn't have much as a child so I felt it justified as a teen. Now I have my own job so I don't do that anymore.

I've had my bag stolen from a CHURCH before - neighbourhood kids were visiting. They found it later in the bathroom. My first ever iPod nano, camera and wallet were gone. It sucked.

MakeupGirly
Informer
Informer

Post by MakeupGirly »

I've stolen a few things when I was younger and dumb. I really regret it now and would never consider stealing.

When I was around 12, I stole underwear from a shop. So dumb don't know why I did that. Not like my parents refused to buy me underwear or anything :P

When I was around 14, I used to steal from a shop after school. I'd go in and stand around like I was waiting for someone and then stuff chocolate bars and stuff in my pockets. I did that quite a few times. I suppose it was for the thrill and I felt ''cool' when everyone would praise me at the bus stop for it afterwards.

I think that was everything. Just stupid things like that.

allcarriedaway
Talker
Talker

Post by allcarriedaway »

I've never stolen anything, but a friend of mine used to have a huge shop lifting problem. She would go to walmart and steal tons of stuff. Clothes, dvds, CD's, makeup, anything she thought she could get away with. She would try to pull that shit when I was with her and I would lie and say I saw a worker looking at her because I was afraid she would get caught and I'd be dragged into it. It probably wouldn't have mattered much because we were minors at the time, but from what I've heard shoplifting is something you REALLY don't want to have on your record.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I had jewelry stolen (nothing big, but little stuff), toys when I was younger (I would later see them at my friend's house...in the exact same condition as mine!), my iPod twice (once I got it back, the next time I didn't), my laptop charger and money (nothing more than $15 at a time). My friend got her whole wallet stolen once and it had cash, her insurance card, her debit card, a co-signed credit card, etc. Luckily she got everything straightened out before her identity could be stolen.

Oh and I used to "steal" books from my teachers. Like I'd borrow a book from their class and like it so much, I'd never return it. This was back in MS. I went back and told them after I graduated and they told me that they never even noticed lol.

kathleenlightsssss
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by kathleenlightsssss »

When I discovered YouTube and beauty videos a few years ago, that's when I started spending most of my savings. One girl said GET THIS, another BUY THAT. I would. I would make lists. I was spending a few hundred dollars at a time. I went from having nearly $20,000 of savings to $9,000. In a span of 3 years. Then I worked in a beauty dept store for the discount. Until I remembered my love of stealing. Working there actually made it easier. I probably have stolen close to $5,000 worth of beauty products just to keep up. I WAS always there, wasn't weird to be looking at things, swatching, etc. So I learned the camera angles, and keep an eye out for customers and employees. I don't work there anymore but... at the time I stole so much, they would go crazy if they KNEW just how much. :o :? :oops:

I would steal every shift and sometimes even before and after lunch breaks (put in car) go back.. NOBODY KNEW. NOBODY KNOWS. I saved a few thousand dollars over 2 years working there. Then I moved away to another state after I got married. (He doesn't know I stole or steal) :|

I still get the urge every time I'm in a drugstore or something, I still do it too. I can't keep up and rather get it for free than spend money I don't have. I know this is bad. :(

Return to “Absolutely NOTHING To Do With Gurus”