Trying to be White

nympheas

Trying to be White

Post by nympheas »

I haven't seen a thread about this and I can't be the only one who's noticed, but she's constantly trying to look whiter. It's become more noticeable in her newer videos with the bright lights that wash her out. I'm actually beginning to think that she actually BELIEVES that she's a lot paler than she really is. Like in her 20 dollar makeup challenge video she tests out foundations that are way to pale for her. I don't know why she can't just accept her natural skin tone.

Bom
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trying to be White

Post by Bom »

She is currently trying to be urjjang (best face)/Korean, with claiming that her skin is paler than it actually is, the botox/fillers to change her face, the ugly eyebrows, the ridiculous horn hat, self-photos while looking up at her iphone, and so on, overall messing up her appearance while doing so.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

I wouldn't say she's trying to be white. She probably just has a complex where she thinks paler skin looks better. That sounds like the same as trying to be white when I think about it...But it isn't. Lol. I dunno. I do think it's odd that she only hangs out with white people and Asian people. Swoozie is the only black person I've seen her hang out with (Andrea doesn't count because she's half black XD). If one of her ex-boyfriends wasn't Hispanic (Is Carlos Hispanic?), I would think she is a little racist...

Post by Guest »

@LadyKaiko

You're right, there is a difference between wanting to look white and wanting to look pale. It's not like all the white people who tan are trying to look black.

SakuraChan
Learner
Learner

Post by SakuraChan »

Pale skin is considered desirable because it meant you were privileged, you didn't have to work outside.
I honestly don't see anything wrong with her wanting to look ulzzang...I wear gyaru makeup but i'm not Japanese (1/2 Chinese, half Caucasian). But I am also not getting surgeries to try to look more white, chinese, or japanese. I think Michelle's injections (if that's all she's even had) make her look less Asian in general and while I see nothing wrong with changing your makeup to fit a certain look you like, I don't think you should get something so permanent...it's like she's "denouncing" her asian features for good by doing these....

Celestica
Learner
Learner

Post by Celestica »

why don't her fans ask her about this? it's completely obvious, i mean about making her skin look pale not trying to be "white"

Sharpshire
Learner
Learner

Post by Sharpshire »

Celestica wrote:why don't her fans ask her about this? it's completely obvious, i mean about making her skin look pale not trying to be "white"
I get the feeling many people have asked and made statements about this, but the majority of their comments have probably been "de'eted".
Wishes can come true but not if you just wait for miracles; Miracles are things we make for ourselves.

A Creative man is motivated by the desire to Achieve, not by the desire to Beat others.

Stop it!
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Stop it! »

I wouldn't say Michelle tries to look like a white-American. She only uses palest shade of concealer over her yellow/olive skin tone to appear so much paler than her true skin. I have seen her in many videos and pictures when her face looked so much whiter than her neck. Her skin used to be tanner when she lived in Florida, it might get paler since she moved to California and maybe she stays in more or got help from her expensive product "made in Thailand, approved by FDA Asia... I Will Kill U sunscreen " to look paler in videos and pictures.

leodroxxchic
Learner
Learner

Post by leodroxxchic »

If you see in her last instagram photo, she is wearing the "ulzzang gradient lips make-up" wich is very common in Korea and a lot of Idols use it:

I think that she is trying to make her skin paler, because now she is really into korean beauty (even if she is liking it just because is popular now) she is trying to be an ulzzang with all that childish poses and stupid horns hats. :?

Setsuka27
Informer
Informer

Post by Setsuka27 »

she looks horrendous

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@SakuraChan: I love the ulzzang culture. But I don't like that Michelle is being such a try hard and trying to be someone that she's not. She's been a try hard for years. It's sad and pathetic.

SakuraChan
Learner
Learner

Post by SakuraChan »

@LadyKaiko I completely agree. She does try too hard, and it's obvious, and she usually just looks awkward.

NobodyXIII
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by NobodyXIII »

When most people get into a type of subculture most try to learn and study all they can and follow trends, etc. I just see Michelle saying "that's cute!" and trying to mimic whatever she saw instead of having the passion for it just because it's the "in" thing.
She better stay away from gyaru/gal though. She wouldn't get too far. :twisted:

SakuraChan
Learner
Learner

Post by SakuraChan »

I think if she was gonna try gyaru, she would have done it when she was being all buddy-buddy with Xiaxue because Xiaxue's into gyare eye makeup...I'mma be pissed if she goes there :raging: i love gyaru-style...i don't want her to RUIN it!

InnerHeart
Debater
Debater

Post by InnerHeart »

Shes trying to be ulzzang orkorean or japanese, basically what people vommonly think of when they think of asian. She also thinks having pale skin is beautiful so she purposely tries to make her skin look as light as possible when she is actually olive toned or deep beige with strong yellow undertones. She can't accept what she is.

vivacious
Lurker
Lurker

Post by vivacious »

I don't see anything wrong in wanting to be ulzzang, or whatever. If she wants the Botox and misleading lights then fine. But it's the fact she supposedly encourages women to accept themselves and to empower them, is when it is not fine. She's being a hypocrite, ugh and I personally liked her tanned skin. IMO it matched her better with her dark hair

Post by Guest »

I don't see anything wrong in trying to be "ulzzang" in your makeup, but she's clearing trying to meld into one, especially after making some Korean friends. What about her own heritage? I have never seen her truly embracing her Vietnamese roots, and only exploit it to her advantage, especially during media/press events. This is one reason why young girls, or anyone should not idolize her.

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

YUCK! wrote:I don't see anything wrong in trying to be "ulzzang" in your makeup, but she's clearing trying to meld into one, especially after making some Korean friends. What about her own heritage? I have never seen her truly embracing her Vietnamese roots, and only exploit it to her advantage, especially during media/press events. This is one reason why young girls, or anyone should not idolize her.
This is so true! Why doesn't she take any "inspirations" from Vietnamese makeup trends??? I'm sure they have some!

Post by Guest »

Chiyou wrote:
YUCK! wrote:I don't see anything wrong in trying to be "ulzzang" in your makeup, but she's clearing trying to meld into one, especially after making some Korean friends. What about her own heritage? I have never seen her truly embracing her Vietnamese roots, and only exploit it to her advantage, especially during media/press events. This is one reason why young girls, or anyone should not idolize her.
This is so true! Why doesn't she take any "inspirations" from Vietnamese makeup trends??? I'm sure they have some!
Because it's not popular(I think) and that she's not interested. It's a great opportunity to bring forth and create a trend but she's more into "mainstream stuff." :x

I found this while googling Vietnam makeup trend, pretty sparse I might hard:
http://www.grreporter.info/en/makeup_and_trends_next_year/6927
This trend emphasises peace, balance and finding the path towards oneself. It is inspired by the natural beauty of the Vietnamese landscape. According to the findings of the experts from Beautystream,s Vietnam is the new Scandinavia - minimalist but with softness and natural beauty. It radiates luxury, which is pure and natural. This fashion trend is saturated with natural richness and serenity of a yet undiscovered Asia - different than the Chinese Dragon kitsch and the familiar images from the Japanese culture. The sociological background behind the creation of this trend is the economic crisis, which makes us go back to the ordinary things. The colours are based on floral items in soft nuances. In eye-makeup what is dominating are the light tones with the thicker than usual classic eyeliner and the lips are soaked in darker hues. MODESTY gives you a whiff of the '90s, but with a more natural look.

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

YUCK! wrote:
Chiyou wrote: This is so true! Why doesn't she take any "inspirations" from Vietnamese makeup trends??? I'm sure they have some!
Because it's not popular(I think) and that she's not interested. It's a great opportunity to bring forth and create a trend but she's more into "mainstream stuff." :x

I found this while googling Vietnam makeup trend, pretty sparse I might hard:

-quote snip-
Thanks for the find! Great, now we just did research for MP, haha. We all know you lurk here, MP!

I feel like I'm giving her ideas, but sometimes I wish her tutorials were more like, "Hey guys, so I heard about this trend from my mom that was popular in Vietnam back in the day. Here's my updated version of this look/trend/technique. Hope you enjoy!"

I think that would be so awesome, but you know, MP's not creative like that. :/

Return to “Michelle Phan”