Troye Sivan

kuensukki
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Troye Sivan

Post by kuensukki »

Please someone watch it and tell me how it was. I’m over the floppy noodle dance moves and his “talking like” singing voice. Also people comparing him to legends makes me scoff because it’s just the yt standom that gives him all the love and he pretty much left them without any goodbye :| (I’m as bitter as 99% cacoa dark chocolate... I need to stop)

fail_dawson
Debater
Debater

Post by fail_dawson »

Aaah I prayed for this thread to be still active !!!! I'm surprised it is considering it's a youtube forum and Troye left his channel in the dust. ANYWAY I haven't been keeping up with Troye for years, but got to listen to "The Good Side" and was so curious to know if it was about Connor !! Looking at this thread, I guess there's no doubt about it. Since I know nothing about his dating life post-Connor I thought he may have other exes who knows but from what I got he's been with this Jacob guy ever since the Tronnor break up ?
Anyway, I feel for Connor. This song is sooooo douchey. I agree with someone saying it's a nice change from an usual break up song but this is TOO HONEST lmao not a good look for Troye imo.

prctentious
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by prctentious »

kuensukki wrote:Please someone watch it and tell me how it was. I’m over the floppy noodle dance moves and his “talking like” singing voice. Also people comparing him to legends makes me scoff because it’s just the yt standom that gives him all the love and he pretty much left them without any goodbye :| (I’m as bitter as 99% cacoa dark chocolate... I need to stop)
LMAO, it was downright terrible. it sucked ass and y'know what? i knew it would. get that money, tho, troye. :roll: my my my is a generally okay pop song and he did it so dirty, honestly. if you guys wanna see (recommend listening to some ACTUAL good music afterwards to get rid of the bleh-ness of it all):
my my my
[youtube][/youtube]
the good side
[youtube][/youtube]

my favorite part is the delusional stanning. someone said "people keep saying he sounds bad but he really doesn’t. yes— his voice is shaky because of nerves and the fact that he’s constantly moving around. maybe instead of criticizing him when you’ve heard him sing literally once. take a look at his other performances. his other performance on the show is so much better. he has a lovely voice. this is the first time he’s ever performed this song live, so of course it’s not going to be as good as he usually is."
i can't with these people. if you've practiced enough and had enough vocal training, you'd be shaky but still sound good. this isn't a difficult concept to get and it's obviously written by people who've never sung in front of a live audience. good lord.
fail_dawson wrote:Aaah I prayed for this thread to be still active !!!! I'm surprised it is considering it's a youtube forum and Troye left his channel in the dust.
it was dead, actually! but then his single release revived it. it's always been like this because he hasn't managed to sustain a well-known brand for longer than his album release cycle, lol.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

i've said it before and i'll say it again. he sings like lana del rey. and that's not a compliment in the slightest because she sounds like an old dying man and what she calls singing is just talking with instrumental in the back
The Internet knows all your secrets

manged
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by manged »

His dancing

Those mumbled, whisper vocals

prctentious
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by prctentious »

illegal_mind wrote:i've said it before and i'll say it again. he sings like lana del rey. and that's not a compliment in the slightest because she sounds like an old dying man and what she calls singing is just talking with instrumental in the back
exactly, lmaooo, he's like the male lana (LIVE because her songs are better than his ever will or could be) and selena. whisper king!!!! :rofl: :respekt: can't wait for people to stop talking about him like he's some god. i wish there were better queer artists out there :(

barbiegirl123
Debater
Debater

Post by barbiegirl123 »

I just watched him on SNL with my whole family. my dad said "Geez, you can become famous just from being cute and quirky I guess."

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Nun4GretchenWieners »

barbiegirl123 wrote:I just watched him on SNL with my whole family. my dad said "Geez, you can become famous just from being cute and quirky I guess."
You dad is a wise man! I turned it off, it was so bad.

EST
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by EST »

The clothes, the hair, the dancing: he looked like a bad parody of a 90s boyband.

stlkr
Learner
Learner

Post by stlkr »

He's never sounded worse. Those old Youth performances seem incredible in comparison. Also, The Good Side is not a song to dance to, it looked stupid.

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

The dancing was awkward and also at the end of The Good Side when you can barely hear him singing (or humming/whatever that was) was odd.

Good for Troye for getting on SNL, but I really wish that instead of having someone perform who already had a fanbase when he started releasing music, they would have a smaller indie artist perform. If his music career ever did not work out, Troye could go back to making YouTube videos and have a fanbase that would keep his career alive. However, many artists only have music as their career and no fallback but struggle to reach the audiences that Troye has or SNL has.

prctentious
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by prctentious »

i think people are forgetting how enormous the label he's attached to is and honestly, that's the main reason he is where he is today. he doesn't hustle and he's pretty bland so not a lot of his fame in the music field can be credited to him

Siculus
Informer
Informer

Post by Siculus »

I am not sure how my comment got so twisted as I clearly stated that I don't have a problem with his sexuality or his "gay behaviour"(as my best friends are also proud gay men, I attend Pride with them every year) so I'm not gonna feel ashamed for my comment and no one is going to make me believe that I am homophobic just cuz I have an opinion about his image and it didn't come from an ounce of hatred. I said that I find it sad that the only thing his management try to sell him as is this gay idol before even mentioning his music. I just find this industry depressing, when everything comes before music latley. and I do feel the same about "breakup songs, fuck me songs", autotune, lip syncing, oversexualized women etc. I think it's amazing when artists stand up for things like charities, lgbt+ community, animals right, femal rights etc but you have to put down something on the table before you can sell yourself as an "idol". but I am very aware that he was an inspirational internet person and helped many, but after seeing his performance in SNL all I can say is the same which is that he will never be known for his music when his perfomances are this weak. and I'm not gonna give him more credit than what he deserves just because he is gay, I'm sorry if someone can't swallow that(I think many of his fans couldn’t). I wish he would have stayed on youtube, I think it was amazing when he did videos on safe sex, healthy sex life and misconceptions about gay men, he could easily do that now. I know Tyler is doing similar things so I don't see a reason why Troye wouldn't be able to do so(even next to music). I am sure there are many veeery talented artists who can make a carrer out of talent and can be amazing idols at the same time(not sure about Sam Smith but his talent is undeniable), imo Troye is heading to the "let Selena lip sync cuz she's sick, jet lagged, tired blah blah" state. not sure how could he sound so bad, when back in the days he seemed so good. maybe he should focusing on the singing part and not the wiggly dancing part. also it would be lovely to see an artist learning to play the guitar for their song that involves a guitar once in a while. I hope he just pulled a Lana and it was just nerves.
english is not my first language

Weird Vagina
Sparkling Unicorn
Sparkling Unicorn

Post by Weird Vagina »

omg that 'the good side' song! I knew he was a self-centered egotistical douchebag but holy shit he took it to another level.

re this sexuality talk - I think it's weird if you make your sexuality your 'selling point', I mean, if I was making music, I'd like to make my music 'the focus'. but when it comes to troye, like siculus said, "HERE SEE THIS GAY IDOL" comes first, not 'this talented young musician' or whatever. it's kinda... awkward at this point.
illegal_mind wrote:one of the main reasons i, as a gay dude, mostly listen to female singers, is because it's much easier for me to connect to a song of them talking about loving or fucking a dude than it is to connect to a song about some dudebro wanting to bang some random chick.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

the thing is we, gay people, are usually first recognized by our sexuality and then our skills.
it's the case with every openly gay person. lance bass is the gay guy from nsync. adam lambert is the gay guy from american idol. tom daley is that gay guy who's an olympic diver. neil patrick harris is that gay guy that was on how i met your mother playing a womanizer. matt bomer is that gay guy that played a womanizing conman on a fox show as well as a stripper on magic mike.
when you're openly gay, that's the first thing people point out about you. that's the first thing the media will refer to you as if you're a celebrity. that's the first thing that'll come to most people's minds when hearing the name. and whatever thing they're good at only comes second.
were troye straight, headlines would read "australian youtuber turns pop musician" or "young wolverine actor becomes musician", but because he's gay, his sexuality is what people will focus on first. so it's "gay youtuber becomes pop musician" and " gay actor who played young wolverine is now a musician". so yeah, that's his selling point, because that's the first thing people pay attention when it comes to gay people, our sexuality is always the first thing on the table, and everything else comes second
The Internet knows all your secrets

prctentious
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by prctentious »

lmao i seriously love the "i can't be homophobic, i have gay friends and i go to pride!!1!11" dude, stop. how about listening to us queer people instead of talking over us?? :roll:

back to troye:
i wonder when the hype around him is gonna die again
illegal_mind wrote:the thing is we, gay people, are usually first recognized by our sexuality and then our skills.
it's the case with every openly gay person. lance bass is the gay guy from nsync. adam lambert is the gay guy from american idol. tom daley is that gay guy who's an olympic diver. neil patrick harris is that gay guy that was on how i met your mother playing a womanizer. matt bomer is that gay guy that played a womanizing conman on a fox show as well as a stripper on magic mike.
when you're openly gay, that's the first thing people point out about you. that's the first thing the media will refer to you as if you're a celebrity. that's the first thing that'll come to most people's minds when hearing the name. and whatever thing they're good at only comes second.
were troye straight, headlines would read "australian youtuber turns pop musician" or "young wolverine actor becomes musician", but because he's gay, his sexuality is what people will focus on first. so it's "gay youtuber becomes pop musician" and " gay actor who played young wolverine is now a musician". so yeah, that's his selling point, because that's the first thing people pay attention when it comes to gay people, our sexuality is always the first thing on the table, and everything else comes second
you're absolutely spot on. and if some celebrity doesn't "seem straight" then the gp nags them about their sexuality until the celebrity gets pissed or has to come out just to please them. it's one thing i could never and *would* never fault troye for. it's pretty remarkable to come out and it takes guts to be a queer singer no matter how supposedly evolved our society is with regards to sexuality.

Siculus
Informer
Informer

Post by Siculus »

you are that person, aren’t you? that think I can’t say anything negative about a gay person just because they are gay? and „talking over us”… pardon me, not that any of your bussiness, but how do you know that I am not one of that certain „us”. not that I would discuss this with a stranger on the internet…so that’s about it. all the scornful attitude int he world won’t make me a homophobic person, you know nothing about me, so I am not sure why you are so cofident handling this topic like a fact, throwing around the word „homophobic” like confetti just you can preach and make me seem like I’m satan when all I did was writing down my opinion on Troye(whom by the way I adored for years)… not sure about you but I am an adult, I wrote down pretty clearly that I am not homophobic, nor do I support any form of it, and my opinion was not effected by it. if you do not believe me, that’s cool but I am not gonna sit here and try to convince a person who wants to twist my words left and right just to have the upper hand in an argument so please, stop. I personally support the lgbt+ community, just because of the plain reason that I think everybody deserves the same rights. but I am done with this, this is not a thread for lgbt+ talk, especially not for a serious one. this is a thread for a youtuber turned musician. I came here for Troye and that’s why I commented my opinion on him. my previous 2 comments were about Troye’s image as a musician, the music industry, his new songs and his talent(or lack of it..?). I personally couldn’t care less about his personal life, I never did. you will read into this whatever your little heart pleases and what makes you feel important. I just want to talk about what I came here: Troye.

illegal_mind you are unfortunately right. I personally didn’t know about Tom Daley, seems like only his great accomplishments reach me outside of the UK. when I think of Neil Patrick Harris I always remember his Tony opening, haha. I think it’s terrible that the media will use other’s sexuality and personal life as clickbait and since many dumb people seems to be interested and entertained by it… it won’t stop unfortunatelly. that’s why the 80% of the entertain industry makes me sick. and that’s why I wish Troye would stand out with his talent instead of his personal life. but maybe someone better will come and do so? I think Adam was very close to it, he is amazing.

prctentious
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by prctentious »

lmao, i'm not reading your nonsense dissertation

Siculus
Informer
Informer

Post by Siculus »

oh, well you just answered my question about whether you are and adult or not. I had the right guess. now we can peacefully go back to Troye. :tu:

kuensukki
Learner
Learner

Post by kuensukki »

I’ve been trying to figure out why he’s getting on all these big shows and getting maximum coverage and it’s because he’s under a really popular record label. He really sounded bad and yet my whole tl was crying about him and how great he is. :?

I wonder how he got Jacob tho. His bf is this amazingly sweet, caring activist who’s selfless and loving. I actually can’t hate the guy even tho I don’t understand how he’s with Troye. But also troye looks more into him so I wonder if it will last. He has a scarily consistent tendency of switching and selling out for the shiner stuff so let’s hope he doesn’t pull another Connor on this guy. :|

Return to “Troye Sivan”