Edamame & Menstruation

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Edamame & Menstruation

Post by wanderlust »

About a month and a half ago, I started eating edamame. I would have about 1/2 cup of it once a day because I thought it was tasty and I liked the texture of it. Plus, the package says "heart healthy" and that's always a plus.

Well, the time for my period came around and I ended up being a week late for the first time in over a year. All I could think that I had done differently was eat edamame. I googled about it some and I came across this information on Livestrong.com:

"Soy isoflavones, the phytochemicals similar to estrogen in edamame, are complex because in the body they attach to estrogen and either enhance it or inhibit it..." (Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/52108 ... -estrogen/)

I gave it up just like that. I have no desire to mess with my body just because a food is tasty and marginally good for me.

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Edamame & Menstruation

Post by Decayedbeauty »

The research on that is very scattered so nothing is proven for sure really. It's really take it or leave it. I eat lots of soy and have had no issue. In fact I would think that eating animal estrogens and hormones would mess with your body more since they would be closer to human hormones. But I'm no scientist.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

I know that it could be some other reason. I just looked to what seemed like the best possible explanation.

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

Sometimes periods are weird. If not eating soy makes you feel better about it, don't eat it.

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

Decayedbeauty wrote:Sometimes periods are weird. If not eating soy makes you feel better about it, don't eat it.
This.
Not sure how much I'd trust information i read LiveStrong, either.

Return to “Period Care”