Michel Janse Part 11: Third Wheel On The Tour Bus

pbnstrctr
Stalker
Stalker
Has thanked: 0

Re: Michel Janse Part 11: Third Wheel On The Tour Bus

Post by pbnstrctr »

In the video description Michel includes a list of 10 tips from her mom… One of the tips mentions a resource from Focus on the Family, a known anti-LGBT organization.

WhoWhatWhereHow
Informer
Informer

Post by WhoWhatWhereHow »

Jillyjillybean22 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:29 pm
ducksquack wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:22 pm

There were a few cuts in the footage that made me think (reading between the lines) that her Mom was saying it was hard because they *did* express their concerns to Michel prior to the wedding but Michel didn't want to hear them and that was difficult to navigate. And once they were married her Mom realised she had to distance herself emotionally because it wasn't her life (and likely didn't want to push Michel away if she was defensive about critique regarding Brook).

I’d say it’s unusual for a parent actively involved in their adult child’s life to not like their child’s significant other and not say anything, especially when they paid $70k for her wedding. I would speculate too like the other poster that her parents shared their concerns with Michel and she chose to ignore those concerns because she was so focused on becoming a wife. I think her parents also raised both their daughters to be focused on becoming a wife as fast as possible though-both married young in my view. It does shock me that her parents had concerns about SO husband and yet fully paid for the wedding-to me that is an active decision of approval. The video with her mom just made me more concerned with how Michel was raised so traditionally (cough….”boy sports”)
My take on the whole thing is that her mom is scared to ask the hard questions or give any pushback to Michel, just like Michel was with Brooke. And her mom probably feared that if she didn’t pay for the wedding Michel would go and elope and their whole white conservative Christian community would be scandalized and she’d be “humiliated” by the whole thing.

As for the “boy sports” thing, I was disgusted by that comment. I’ve literally never heard anyone say “boy sports” before but Michel is obviously used to the concept because she didn’t seem to bat an eyelash.

Jillyjillybean22
Learner
Learner

Post by Jillyjillybean22 »

pbnstrctr wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:16 pm
In the video description Michel includes a list of 10 tips from her mom… One of the tips mentions a resource from Focus on the Family, a known anti-LGBT organization.
Yikes. Although not surprised really.
And I think we can all gather what Michel’s political views are since she has been pretty silent on a lot of major issues (BLM, LGBTQ+, access to women’s healthcare via abortion etc) in the past few years, especially as a born and raised Texan. I think silence speaks louder than words in this situation.

sewinglife
Learner
Learner

Post by sewinglife »

Jillyjillybean22 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:46 pm
pbnstrctr wrote:
And I think we can all gather what Michel’s political views are since she has been pretty silent on a lot of major issues (BLM, LGBTQ+, access to women’s healthcare via abortion etc) in the past few years, especially as a born and raised Texan. I think silence speaks louder than words in this situation.

She grew up or is from Boerne, Texas, I think? That's an hour and a half from Uvalde, and she's not said shit all about that situation. You'd think it would hit close to home, or something.

pettycrimes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pettycrimes »

pbnstrctr wrote:
of course :roll: how embarassing

ordinaryem
Informer
Informer

Post by ordinaryem »

NoraKnowsNatalie wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:17 am
thetasparkle wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:15 am
I'm guessing she's gonna have to knock on mama and papa janse's door to get this house situation taken care of as it doesn't look like she can afford a down payment or be approved for a loan on her own.
It all depends on where she buys. Many parts of the US are still in a housing bubble, including Texas and California, which is where she seems to favor. Well, she's going to overpay in those markets, even with the recent correction. She will also have to deal with rising interest rates, which will limit how much she can spend on a house (if she has a set monthly payment limit.)

This is a tough market for a lot of people. My husband and I own our home outright (no mortgage) and its value is high. Why aren't we selling? There's nowhere to go, unless we want to buy into this bubble, overpay for the property, and be stuck with astronomical property taxes based on that inflated value.

Why Michel thinks this is a great time to buy a house is beyond me. It really isn't.
I think it could be a good move for the right situation. For us, we have a family & desperately needed more space. We are prepared to stay in this house 5-10 years at least, & we could just stay forever if we needed to.

Michel? She’s not settled, and her life is looking pretty unsteady at the moment. For her, I’d be leery. If she can pay rent & keep saving for awhile, might be better off to feel it out. If she’s not prepared to hang onto it for at least 5-7 years (maybe more…) then she should hold off IMO.

However maybe there’s some sense of safety net mentality with her parents.

WhoWhatWhereHow
Informer
Informer

Post by WhoWhatWhereHow »

Jillyjillybean22 wrote:
pbnstrctr wrote:
There was one video she did where she mentioned her views on god and lgbtq and she very obviously takes the stance of love the sinner, hate the sin. As in, she’s a Christian so she of course she loves everyone equally even if you’re a “sinning” homosexual. 🙄

Here are some delightful excerpts from Focus on the Family. Of note is the part that says “all sin is equal before god’s eyes” and it specifically lists homosexuality. I guess this church thinks grooming and having sex with underage girls is the same as homosexuality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

linniecat
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by linniecat »

Honestly, I don't think it's so weird that her parents 'supported' her marriage. I think I remember she said in a video once that her parents expressed concern when they were still dating or engaged, but she chose to ignore it. I'm assuming they didn't know about him being a SO and just thought he didn't love her or wasn't good for her. But still, it's Michel's mistake to make and if she doesn't listen, they can't really do anything about it. They're not responsible for the choices of their adult daughter. They probably promised their kids they'd pay for their wedding, so they did. If not, I'm sure she would've eloped or something. If they hadn't supported her, they would've ruined their relationship with their daughter, which in the end wouldn't have been better, neither for Michel nor for them.

Whereami12
Debater
Debater

Post by Whereami12 »

Jillyjillybean22 wrote:
pbnstrctr wrote:
I actually disagree with this. Maybe it's because I'm a little older but I think it's ok that people have different views on certain topics. I think what bothers me are the stereotypes. People assume all Christians are bigots and all members of the LGBTQ+ are evil sinners. I'm a Christian and ok with same sex marriage. My family is also a mix of both black and white. My views are all over and that's ok. Not all celebrities speak out on all issues either. No matter what they say they will get backlash from people. I'm in no way a fan of hers anymore but it's ok that she's a Christian. Now if she' was using her faith as an excuse to stay with a registered so that's not on par with mine or most others beliefs. Now I do know the Catholic church is completely against divorce but my church isn't. My church also marries same sex couples.

moonshine215
Learner
Learner

Post by moonshine215 »

Based on the political views of Michel’s closest friends and her faith I have no issues with assuming she is equally conservative. If not conservative then just so privileged that she can ignore human rights issues like guns, abortion, marginalizing BIPOC (all of which Texasss is notoriously conservative about too). It’s not only her silence on these issues but who she supports online/surrounds herself with.

Also the not watching a lot of TV or movies is straight out of fundie Christian behavior. Michel certainly isn’t fundamental but even in her media choices you won’t see her watching much with diversity.

NoraKnowsNatalie
Talker
Talker

Post by NoraKnowsNatalie »

ordinaryem wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:55 pm

I think it could be a good move for the right situation. For us, we have a family & desperately needed more space. We are prepared to stay in this house 5-10 years at least, & we could just stay forever if we needed to.

Michel? She’s not settled, and her life is looking pretty unsteady at the moment. For her, I’d be leery. If she can pay rent & keep saving for awhile, might be better off to feel it out. If she’s not prepared to hang onto it for at least 5-7 years (maybe more…) then she should hold off IMO.

However maybe there’s some sense of safety net mentality with her parents.
You have to REALLY know your market to avoid making a mistake in real estate right now. For example, properties in my area that are selling for $350,000 today were going for $75,000 five years ago, Well, my husband and I watched those same properties go through the same whiplash phase 15 years ago:

1998: bought house for $60,000
2008: sold same house for $300,000
2012: couldn't give it away for $80,000

If you bought that house at $300,000 and borrowed $200,000 to do it, you would have to arrange a short sale to get rid of it, which affects your credit score and your ability to re-buy for several years. That's the same type of stuff that will happen when this bubble bursts in places like California, Texas, and my area. We just aren't willing to buy in at the top.

That being said, there are several places in the US that still have affordable housing. Unfortunately, I don't live in one of those areas and Michel isn't targeting them either. By watching her, I have a bad feeling that she is going to make a huge mistake with this because she doesn't have the patience to wait it out. I also doubt that she is going to listen to anyone who tries to tell her anything. She's bought into this flipping and airbnb fantasy, but doesn't really understand the risks.

What could go wrong? LOL

Whereami12
Debater
Debater

Post by Whereami12 »

moonshine215 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:19 am
Based on the political views of Michel’s closest friends and her faith I have no issues with assuming she is equally conservative. If not conservative then just so privileged that she can ignore human rights issues like guns, abortion, marginalizing BIPOC (all of which Texasss is notoriously conservative about too). It’s not only her silence on these issues but who she supports online/surrounds herself with.

Also the not watching a lot of TV or movies is straight out of fundie Christian behavior. Michel certainly isn’t fundamental but even in her media choices you won’t see her watching much with diversity.
I'm not sticking up for her but there's nothing wrong with being a Christian. Some people just do not have the time to watch TV. If she's a conservative that's her choice. Just like it's someone's choice on who they marry whether it be the opposite or same sex. It's the stereotypes that bother me. Now do I think she lived an extremely privileged life and is completely blind to the real world? Absolutely. But if you look at her and her sister you would think they were not raised together. I think her sister is the extreme opposite of her. She is extremely hard working and enjoys life.

RowdyMermaid
Learner
Learner

Post by RowdyMermaid »

Whereami12 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:47 am
Jillyjillybean22 wrote:

I actually disagree with this. Maybe it's because I'm a little older but I think it's ok that people have different views on certain topics. I think what bothers me are the stereotypes. People assume all Christians are bigots and all members of the LGBTQ+ are evil sinners. I'm a Christian and ok with same sex marriage. My family is also a mix of both black and white. My views are all over and that's ok. Not all celebrities speak out on all issues either. No matter what they say they will get backlash from people. I'm in no way a fan of hers anymore but it's ok that she's a Christian. Now if she' was using her faith as an excuse to stay with a registered so that's not on par with mine or most others beliefs. Now I do know the Catholic church is completely against divorce but my church isn't. My church also marries same sex couples.
I stand with you on this. I don’t see why it’s necessary for Michel to speak out on certain things. If she comes straight out and says she’s conservative (which we are all assuming she is) will that make people happier? That will honestly just allow more hate to be thrown at her. I’m not putting my life online but If I was, I would probably be more quiet about my political views and where I stand on certain things just because in todays political climate, more death threats are thrown around for people who believe in different things and that’s not ok. If Michel said she was liberal, I wouldnt think any different of her because of her views, I’m here because of her poor quality content. I’m not a very bold/vocal woman on certain hard discussions and I am ok with saying, “I don’t know enough about it” when someone asks me where I stand. I won’t let emotion rule my values but instead I’ll research and gain a better understanding to have a mature conversation. If Michel wants to keep certain things off of her channel - like some of these hard topics - that’s ok. I don’t approve of her content but I do believe she doesn’t have to make statements on things all the time. It just allows for more hatefulness and seeing how negative comments affect her, I could see pure hatefulness (and possibly worse) really affecting her.
Now saying something like she is praying for those of Uvalde or of the ClubQ shooting in Colorado Springs is always ok. But expecting her to elaborate into more I just dont think will ever happen. She’s young and needs to find her views privately instead of publicly because it can be tough to navigate. I’m older and in my early twenties I had no idea and didn’t care enough to know. Now more young people are getting involved which is great but it can still be a process to understand.

linniecat
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by linniecat »

RowdyMermaid wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:48 am
Whereami12 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:47 am

I stand with you on this. I don’t see why it’s necessary for Michel to speak out on certain things. If she comes straight out and says she’s conservative (which we are all assuming she is) will that make people happier? That will honestly just allow more hate to be thrown at her. I’m not putting my life online but If I was, I would probably be more quiet about my political views and where I stand on certain things just because in todays political climate, more death threats are thrown around for people who believe in different things and that’s not ok. If Michel said she was liberal, I wouldnt think any different of her because of her views, I’m here because of her poor quality content. I’m not a very bold/vocal woman on certain hard discussions and I am ok with saying, “I don’t know enough about it” when someone asks me where I stand. I won’t let emotion rule my values but instead I’ll research and gain a better understanding to have a mature conversation. If Michel wants to keep certain things off of her channel - like some of these hard topics - that’s ok. I don’t approve of her content but I do believe she doesn’t have to make statements on things all the time. It just allows for more hatefulness and seeing how negative comments affect her, I could see pure hatefulness (and possibly worse) really affecting her.
Now saying something like she is praying for those of Uvalde or of the ClubQ shooting in Colorado Springs is always ok. But expecting her to elaborate into more I just dont think will ever happen. She’s young and needs to find her views privately instead of publicly because it can be tough to navigate. I’m older and in my early twenties I had no idea and didn’t care enough to know. Now more young people are getting involved which is great but it can still be a process to understand.
I agree. Watching YouTubers is a form of entertainment and on TV you also wouldn't expect everyone to get political on an entertainment show. Of course some influencers use their platform to spread their political ideas, but it's not something you have to do. Michel already talks enough about things she has no real knowledge on - no need to add another one to that list :roll:

NoraKnowsNatalie
Talker
Talker

RowdyMermaid wrote:

I stand with you on this. I don’t see why it’s necessary for Michel to speak out on certain things.
I totally agree. Every time something big happens politically, such as the reversal of Roe v. Wade, posters complain that Michel hasn't taken a stand on it. Well, she doesn't need to do that on her channel and I respect her decision not to.

As others have noted, lifestyle blogs are a form of escapism for many viewers. They don't want (or need) to hear political commentary from the people producing that content.

moonshine215
Learner
Learner

Post by moonshine215 »

linniecat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:41 am
RowdyMermaid wrote:

I agree. Watching YouTubers is a form of entertainment and on TV you also wouldn't expect everyone to get political on an entertainment show. Of course some influencers use their platform to spread their political ideas, but it's not something you have to do. Michel already talks enough about things she has no real knowledge on - no need to add another one to that list :roll:

Oh I fully don’t expect political commentary from Michel but I also like to know that my YouTube ad views aren’t going to someone who supports homophobic organizations. Her being a Christian and her religious beliefs are totally fine. However when Christian (or any other religion) views actively seek to remove others rights to live happily then as a consumer it becomes something to think about.

Do I think Michel needs to come out with any of her beliefs on social media? Not at all
Do I also think her particular brand of Christianity is toxic? Yes

babypinks332
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by babypinks332 »

To be fair, just as much as it is Michel's right to disclose or not disclose her political views or takes, its everyone's individual right to have an opinion on her when she doesnt. If my favorite creator has an influence on lots of people and takes a stance on something significant and important, that's going to positively affect how i personally view them. If my favorite creator says absolutely nothing, although its obviously their right and choice, its going to affect how i personally view them too. I'm going to personally think something about the fact that they dont care enough to use their platform for something positive.

So yeah its true that she can do whatever she wants with her platform, but it says something about someone's character when they have an influence on people and a voice and dont use it for important things. At least to me it makes a difference. So yeah people are allowed to think something about her lack of opinions on impactful issues.

Jillyjillybean22
Learner
Learner

Post by Jillyjillybean22 »

babypinks332 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:57 am
To be fair, just as much as it is Michel's right to disclose or not disclose her political views or takes, its everyone's individual right to have an opinion on her when she doesnt. If my favorite creator has an influence on lots of people and takes a stance on something significant and important, that's going to positively affect how i personally view them. If my favorite creator says absolutely nothing, although its obviously their right and choice, its going to affect how i personally view them too. I'm going to personally think something about the fact that they dont care enough to use their platform for something positive.

So yeah its true that she can do whatever she wants with her platform, but it says something about someone's character when they have an influence on people and a voice and dont use it for important things. At least to me it makes a difference. So yeah people are allowed to think something about her lack of opinions on impactful issues.

You summarized my thoughts on this well! I don’t expect every influencer to comment on every political issue or news story but it does surprise me when an influencer stays quiet on an issue close to home/immediately impacts their own rights for example. Michel has also made her content about her lifestyle, not just a specific niche topic like interior design/cooking/makeup. Other lifestyle content creators/influencers that I follow (I no longer follow Michel) talk about issues close to their heart, talk about voting (not specifically for a political party but just encouraging voting), and incorporate giving into their content/products which I haven’t found Michel to do. I live in Canada but feel like so many rights and issues are on the table right now/at risk like in the US. It just feels like privilege of the highest magnitude to be able to not care/not speak out in certain issues right now.

NoraKnowsNatalie
Talker
Talker

babypinks332 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:57 am

To me, this is an easy one. Some creators don't take a stand because they don't want to tick people off and lose subscribers. That doesn't mean that they lack character. It simply means that they are choosing their battles carefully and that the "issue" in question isn't the hill that they are willing to die on.

But, that's just me. After years of political divisiveness in the US, which has literally torn families apart, I don't need for those topics to seep into my recreational YouTubing. I'm cool with creators who choose to stay quiet.

thetasparkle
Informer
Informer

Post by thetasparkle »

I also agree that it's totally fine for Michel to be a Christian and it's fine to be a conservative as well (variety is the spice of life). I think we too often demonize those on the opposite end of the political or religion spectrum and that's not okay. I don't think every person in the public eye needs to be outspoken about politics either as that is incredibly polarizing. I haven't seen her do anything specifically problematic in either of those two areas. It's actually one area that I think she does a good job of setting boundaries in.

I also agree that it would be annoying listening to her pretend to be an 'expert' in politics or religion, she's already an 'expert' in too many other subjects. :rofl:

Return to “Michel Janse”