BOOKTUBE PATREON

karmayourdrama
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

BOOKTUBE PATREON

Post by karmayourdrama »

There are many booktube patreons now. Let’s talk about the ones worth pledging and the ones not. Share your experiences of being a patreon. Good and bad

PartyCheeseSalad
Learner
Learner

Re: BOOKTUBE PATREON

Post by PartyCheeseSalad »

Why do BookTubers have Patreons when so many of them clearly look like they're well off? Anything to avoid getting a real job, I guess.

bookbanter
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bookbanter »

I have actually been interested in subscribing to a few of their Patreons but never bit the bullet because I was nervous it wouldn't be worth it. I think someone mentioned in the other thread that they like getting to do watch parties and book club benefits because that's not something they get to do much of in their daily life, and I feel similarly. I also think it'd be nice to have access to a small community of people who share the same interests as me because I don't have many friends who read irl and the ones that do are too busy to commit to a book club. The main obstacle is always going to be whether its worth it.

There are only three booktubers I would consider giving money to for the extra benefits: throneofpages, How To Train Your Gavin, and booksandlala. I think they all have great personalities, are generally well-spoken when it comes to reviewing books, and they put a noticeable amount of effort into their videos. I enjoy the content they make enough to be interested in viewing extra exclusive videos of theirs. Unfortunately, due to region I can't subscribe to Kayla's channel membership, but I may try the other two. Has anyone else subscribed to Bella and Gavin's patreons to give an answer of whether it's worth it?

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

I've yet to see anything that would make me interested in biting the bullet. In the makeup community, some youtubers will do tutorials and that's great but other than getting early access to videos, or book clubs I don't really see the point in some booktuber's patreons.

honeybearbee
Learner
Learner

Post by honeybearbee »

i have a patreon, but i use it for my writing more than my booktube, so i never promote it lol

booktube paetron's just have never grabbed my interest even if i like the person.

floridakilosss
Wallflower
Wallflower
Been thanked: 0

Post by floridakilosss »

PartyCheeseSalad wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:20 pm
Why do BookTubers have Patreons when so many of them clearly look like they're well off? Anything to avoid getting a real job, I guess.
This is a weird take. Most of the BookTubers I follow have regular day jobs in addition to YouTube, or have been savvy enough to make YouTube their full-time job. Very telling that you view being an entrepreneur as "avoiding a real job" and think that just because someone is financially comfortable already, they shouldn't be able to create a new income stream and monetize their content further.

Personally, I enjoy the Patreons of Samantha thoughtontomes and Olivia oliviareadsalatte.

bcj13
Debater
Debater

Post by bcj13 »

PartyCheeseSalad wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:20 pm
Many BookTubers do have "real" jobs, and wanting a little extra cash on the side isn't a bad thing. My biggest issue with most of their patreons is that with the exception of a few, I just don't think they are worth the money. I've tried a couple out for a month and while some have been great, I've noticed a couple where their extra videos seem like they would rather be doing anything else and not putting much effort in. But I will also admit to myself that a couple of these people, I like their content I just don't like it enough to make $5 worth more videos.

BooksellerBMore
Lurker
Lurker

Post by BooksellerBMore »

I definitely 100% say Mel and Gavin are the best patreons to be a part of. I also really like Liv’s and Jessie’s. I didn’t really care for Jordaline’s and Katie Colson’s patreons

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

Def not hailey hughes she is way too political and phony she literally has to beg people to host her patreon book choices because her personality is so unbearable to deal with....Katie colson's use to be ok but she doesn't spring with other booktubers anymore and she doesn't like interacting with her subs.Neither hailey hughes or katie colson respond to their patreon messages.Gabby Reads is worth every penny and she engages with her subs all the time.She's like the best friend you never have. I don't know anybody that doesn't love her.I also subbed to bookish realm because I love her and her content

Batila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Batila »

DamnBoo69 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:18 am
Def not hailey hughes she is way too political and phony she literally has to beg people to host her patreon book choices because her personality is so unbearable to deal with....Katie colson's use to be ok but she doesn't spring with other booktubers anymore and she doesn't like interacting with her subs.Neither hailey hughes or katie colson respond to their patreon messages.Gabby Reads is worth every penny and she engages with her subs all the time.She's like the best friend you never have. I don't know anybody that doesn't love her.I also subbed to bookish realm because I love her and her content
Lol it’s safe to say Haileyween was a bust I didn’t see any big booktubers participating in it. Meanwhile when it’s Summerween time I see so many people posting videos about it.

smilesuperhero
Debater
Debater

Post by smilesuperhero »

Batila wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:31 am
DamnBoo69 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:18 am
Lol it’s safe to say Haileyween was a bust I didn’t see any big booktubers participating in it. Meanwhile when it’s Summerween time I see so many people posting videos about it.
I find it so egotistical to name a readathon with your name in it expecting people to join in.

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

smilesuperhero wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:23 am
Batila wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:31 am

I find it so egotistical to name a readathon with your name in it expecting people to join in.
lol haileyween :D everyone she had asked everyone in discord what they thought of it and they were like...sure ☠️ and her patrons are steadily dropping.She's starting to get too political on her page too.I have republicans and liberals in my family.Calling all republicans racist and all that is bull shit.I'm not with either party but my republican father had both my brother and how to cook,clean,change a tire and all that.There was no gender roles in our household and he did a damn good job raising us while my liberal mom was deployed overseas.

zackshutup
Learner
Learner

Post by zackshutup »

I’ve tried several, I’d say of all the ones I’ve tried, Mel is where you get the most bang for your buck, she’s super present in the community and always doing exclusive sprints, movie nights, etc. I’d say Gabby is a pretty close second

DamnBoo69
Learner
Learner

Post by DamnBoo69 »

zackshutup wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:22 pm
I’ve tried several, I’d say of all the ones I’ve tried, Mel is where you get the most bang for your buck, she’s super present in the community and always doing exclusive sprints, movie nights, etc. I’d say Gabby is a pretty close second
What's the name of Mel's booktube channel? I also agree Gabby is worth the money and surprised she doesn't have more

faeling
Learner
Learner

Post by faeling »

I'm not subscribed to anyone's patreon, but what I'd really like to know is what makes a booktuber's patreon worth it to you?

I know everyone is different, but from what I've seen, they don't seem really worth it to me. A couple extra videos? I also don't really understand the appeal of reading sprints either, but I genuinely want to know what you guys like about the ones you subscribe to..\

zackshutup
Learner
Learner

Post by zackshutup »

DamnBoo69 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:42 am
zackshutup wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:22 pm
What's the name of Mel's booktube channel? I also agree Gabby is worth the money and surprised she doesn't have more
Mel is MelReads on booktube! she’s from I think panama and used to be in the beauty community too I think? She’s very bubbly and chatty and I like her energy
faeling wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:00 pm
I'm not subscribed to anyone's patreon, but what I'd really like to know is what makes a booktuber's patreon worth it to you?

I know everyone is different, but from what I've seen, they don't seem really worth it to me. A couple extra videos? I also don't really understand the appeal of reading sprints either, but I genuinely want to know what you guys like about the ones you subscribe to..\
I personally love all the sprints so if someone sprints a lot then that makes it worth it for me, early access can be nice but not the biggest bonus. A lot of the ones I’ve tried have patron exclusive watchalongs or movie nights which can be fun. Gavin is a great example of this because it seems like he’s always doing something fun with his patrons and not necessarily just book related. Mel has done game nights and movie nights, it definitely depends on the creator but you definitely get a lot more from certain ones.

mercymorn
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by mercymorn »

I had booksandlala’s channel membership for a while and I really enjoyed it! I’m not one for reading sprints or live shows so I never joined those, but I thought it was worth it for the extended vlogs and bonus videos. I was paying for it with google play credit and I ran out but I think I’m going to resubscribe soon, I miss it more than I expected and it sounds like she’s added even more features like a book club since then.

I also like that she just has one tier, to me it doesn’t make sense when I see booktubers have a $3 tier or whatever that doesn’t include the book club or extra content. I get that it’s so people with all budgets can support them, but it feels off to me when the lowest budget has no real perks. If you’re not offering anything extra for $3, then why even make it an option?

Return to “BookTube”