Cathy Hay | Part 2

sillywhippet
Learner
Learner

Re: Cathy Hay | Part 2

Post by sillywhippet »

There was stuff about the peacock dress (as well as other costube drama from time to time) in the scuffles thread as it went down, doesn't surprise me someone turned it into a full write up, I just didn't find it that weird, I guess...
I mean, there's all kinds of hobby drama posted on there with varying degrees of staleness and this one, while not the deepest dive into it, covers the more important parts of what went down. People also tend to wait and see if anything else is going to happen, the peacock dress has been on/off for like years, I can see whoever did that write up wanting to make sure it was well and truely concluded. There's a bunch of other stories on there that haven't really had any instigation other that the author being reminded of something or someone mentioning stuff in scuffles.
But yes, concluded drama would have been a better way of phrasing that.

Iamnothere
Informer
Informer

Post by Iamnothere »

I found it interesting that the Oak Leaf dress Cathy did years ago was also a dress for Lady Curzon. I hadn't seen that before. Also that she said the PD was pompous colonial splendor. (According to commenters in the thread) So... she did know it was colonialism. And she appears to have held some high regard for Lady Curzon, if she keeps wanting to recreate her outfits.

lace_and_laments
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0

Post by lace_and_laments »

Cathy has just issued an apology to Nami et al. Seemingly triggered by Nami's withdrawal as a judge from the FR competition.
IMG_20230306_180109.jpg
IMG_20230306_180127.jpg
IMG_20230306_180143.jpg
IMG_20230306_180158.jpg
IMG_20230306_180211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deanna
Talker
Talker

Post by Deanna »

That's a pretty well done apology imo. She seems to be taking accountability.

andipales
Debater
Debater

Post by andipales »

I'll wait and see what the people she's apologising to think of this before passing comment on the actual apology, but I will say that I have absolutely zero doubt that she fully intended that 'code of conduct' to be an NDA and got called out on it.

PlainSalted
Talker
Talker

Post by PlainSalted »

Definitely also waiting to see what other parties say, but I'll still say that this is more than I ever expected from her. I am pleasantly surprised. The comments, though, are an absolute dumpster fire of people trying to salvage the project and just not getting it, but I guess that was to be expected.
I like big bustles and I cannot lie

Koalaty_knits
Talker
Talker

Post by Koalaty_knits »

It's a pretty good distraction from a coat that still probably isn't done.

vanilla_34
Learner
Learner

Post by vanilla_34 »

It looks like Nami has accepted Cathy’s apology
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lilibetp
Learner
Learner

Post by Lilibetp »

Cathy has an interesting new video today, where she's working on an embroidery sample.

She mentioned at the beginning that she's going to go on the road and next year she's moving to the US. So she and Bernadette have just traded lives?

hysterically_adq
Informer
Informer

Post by hysterically_adq »

Lilibetp wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:42 pm
Cathy has an interesting new video today, where she's working on an embroidery sample.

She mentioned at the beginning that she's going to go on the road and next year she's moving to the US. So she and Bernadette have just traded lives?
Ha, I got her newsletter where she dropped some awesome clickbait and I came here hoping someone else watched the video and can tell me what she was doing. Thanks!

I think she has wanted to move the US for awhile? I know she went through a period of couch surfing in the US for awhile.

From the newsletter:
I also sold, donated, or gave away 90% of my possessions and went on the road with my trusty embroidery frame and a roll of velvet. As you do.

andipales
Debater
Debater

Post by andipales »

Finally decided she wasn't going to get back into the good graces of the UK community then I guess! Either that, or she's so desperate for a reason to delay this latest project that upending her entire life seemed like the best approach. I kid. I think. Probably.

Koalaty_knits
Talker
Talker

Post by Koalaty_knits »

Does she double check anything? The drafting of the coat had to be done twice, because she didn't check the instructions, and now she bought an embroidery frame without checking if it would fit her project.

Mako Shark
Learner
Learner

Post by Mako Shark »

Koalaty_knits wrote:Does she double check anything? The drafting of the coat had to be done twice, because she didn't check the instructions, and now she bought an embroidery frame without checking if it would fit her project.
Gotta have some reason to drag it out forever…

hysterically_adq
Informer
Informer

Post by hysterically_adq »

Cathy's latest newsletter advertises:
We'll also be opening enrolment for my online historical sewing school Foundations Revealed, including our new 12 week Walking Skirt Course, which is about to begin.

12 weeks to make a walking skirt??? Wowser. Cathy must be teaching her secrets to dragging out a project beyond a reasonable timeline as well. What a deal...

IrishBreakfastTea
Informer
Informer

Post by IrishBreakfastTea »

Didn't she JUST move house? And set up a new sewing room, where she agonised about what colour to paint the walls? Does she think she's going to become some van-life influencer, showing shots of her embroidery frame in front of different backgrounds?

This woman has problems...jumping around from place to place, project to project, dragging them out endlessly, a trail of broken relationships of all kinds (professional, romantic, and friendship). At this stage in her life, I don't even know if therapy would help, since she's so imbued in woo-woo crap and motivational mlm nonsense. Does she really think her indecision and heel-dragging is motivating to people? Cathy - shit, or get off the pot!

Koalaty_knits
Talker
Talker

Post by Koalaty_knits »

hysterically_adq wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 am
Cathy's latest newsletter advertises:
We'll also be opening enrolment for my online historical sewing school Foundations Revealed, including our new 12 week Walking Skirt Course, which is about to begin.

12 weeks to make a walking skirt??? Wowser. Cathy must be teaching her secrets to dragging out a project beyond a reasonable timeline as well. What a deal...
12 weeks!? What on earth could make it take that long?

Koalaty_knits
Talker
Talker

Post by Koalaty_knits »

It's definitely doing something for people. I watched the newest video, and looked at some of the comments. A lot of them are giving her advice.....like...a lot. But very few talk about her being motivating.

andipales
Debater
Debater

Post by andipales »

I can't help thinking the quantity of people for whom anything she does feels relevant is dwindling at some pace. I've made quite a few walking skirts, I think the most pattern pieces I've ever used for one was five or six (it had pockets). Let's be generous and assume she's dedicating a week to each piece, and then a week to stick it all together and faff about with 'useless in a modern context but historically accurate enough to make the purists feel calm' stuff like tarlatan hemming, that still only equals seven weeks at MOST. What on earth are the other five weeks for exactly?! Beyond padding her bank account to presumably fund the seemingly spur of the moment international move, of course.

crafternoon_delight
Talker
Talker

Post by crafternoon_delight »

andipales wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:03 pm
I can't help thinking the quantity of people for whom anything she does feels relevant is dwindling at some pace. I've made quite a few walking skirts, I think the most pattern pieces I've ever used for one was five or six (it had pockets). Let's be generous and assume she's dedicating a week to each piece, and then a week to stick it all together and faff about with 'useless in a modern context but historically accurate enough to make the purists feel calm' stuff like tarlatan hemming, that still only equals seven weeks at MOST. What on earth are the other five weeks for exactly?! Beyond padding her bank account to presumably fund the seemingly spur of the moment international move, of course.
Obviously the first week would be to meet the other course participants, the second week would be to brainstorm goals, the third week to review fashion plates, the fourth week to agonize over fabric swatches... :rofl:

LadyViorica
Informer
Informer

Post by LadyViorica »

IrishBreakfastTea wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:49 am
Didn't she JUST move house? And set up a new sewing room, where she agonised about what colour to paint the walls? Does she think she's going to become some van-life influencer, showing shots of her embroidery frame in front of different backgrounds?

This woman has problems...jumping around from place to place, project to project, dragging them out endlessly, a trail of broken relationships of all kinds (professional, romantic, and friendship). At this stage in her life, I don't even know if therapy would help, since she's so imbued in woo-woo crap and motivational mlm nonsense. Does she really think her indecision and heel-dragging is motivating to people? Cathy - shit, or get off the pot!
Cathy is facing the inevitable endpoint of being a user: you run out of people to use. Maybe not if you jump from hobby to hobby, but historical costuming is a small pond, and she's overfished it. Dragging out this motivational stuff is all she has left.

I had an ex like this. He was a political campaign manager, and he slept with volunteers on every campaign he ran. Trouble was, those of us he slept with stayed on the political scene, working on other campaigns, and eventually the number of people who had either been (literally) screwed by him or knew someone who had was so big that no one would hire him anymore. He moved out of province to get away from it.

Return to “Costubers”