BookBird
Learner
Learner

Re: Book Twitter Part 2

Post by BookBird »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:06 am
I don't understand what she means

I think she is trying to say it doesn't matter which one it's classified as for a lot of books, but it does.

YA books are aimed at those 13-17ish, adult books are for those older. I swear the confusion people are having is that a lot of 20 something's are still reading YA therefore it gets blurred. I think a lot of these books that get miscategorised are YA because they are read by people in their late teens/ early 20s, which is an adult age range, but because some of those people mainly consume books aimed at actual YA range it gets miscategorised.

It's the same circular arguement which happens every week on twitter about ages ranges. People insist on not reading adult books, so read YA, which causes the distortion of the YA age range, and so on and so on.

If your book is aimed at 18+ it's adult. Not NA, not YA (but with the caveat of having a teen section too), it's just adult. People shouldn't need their hand holding through all the age ranges of their lives. If we have teen, YA, and NA but with the only difference being the age of the characters, do we then get a late 20s to 30s age range where all the characters are settling down, how about a 40s-50s age range where the characters all have grown up children?

Ok I went on a little rant there!

greysweatpants20
Informer
Informer

Post by greysweatpants20 »

BookBird wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 am
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:06 am
I don't understand what she means

I think she is trying to say it doesn't matter which one it's classified as for a lot of books, but it does.

YA books are aimed at those 13-17ish, adult books are for those older. I swear the confusion people are having is that a lot of 20 something's are still reading YA therefore it gets blurred. I think a lot of these books that get miscategorised are YA because they are read by people in their late teens/ early 20s, which is an adult age range, but because some of those people mainly consume books aimed at actual YA range it gets miscategorised.

It's the same circular arguement which happens every week on twitter about ages ranges. People insist on not reading adult books, so read YA, which causes the distortion of the YA age range, and so on and so on.

If your book is aimed at 18+ it's adult. Not NA, not YA (but with the caveat of having a teen section too), it's just adult. People shouldn't need their hand holding through all the age ranges of their lives. If we have teen, YA, and NA but with the only difference being the age of the characters, do we then get a late 20s to 30s age range where all the characters are settling down, how about a 40s-50s age range where the characters all have grown up children?

Ok I went on a little rant there!
I read her tweet as meaning that people assign differences to YA and Adult that don't really exist, not that there are no differences. Like sure, Nevermoor is obviously a middle grade novel and Malazan is obviously not. But people also think things like being a character driven story and romance are defining aspects of what makes age categories different which is demonstrably false to anyone well read.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Not Twitter but

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

I'm surprise to see adam slivers name because everyone I see say be a good person

?t=6pFLHf2VRdN7Ar-Fuyeb7g&s=19

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

😳while that was quick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

They pulled it with a quickness because everyone went in on their scam.

smolante12
Learner
Learner

Post by smolante12 »

if i'm understanding all this correctly, they're basically asking their teenaged readers to pay them to write stories of the characters and settings in the authors' world, and the authors will eventually choose which of the teens' stories become canon to be published under their name... how did they think any of that would work? they can just write fanfiction for free anyway, which is also completely legal. i hope this doesn't become one of those things everyone just forgets about next week.

smolante12
Learner
Learner

Post by smolante12 »

a google docs link of the author responses to people's questions on discord:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... b7e28_0_14

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Post by soratyrus »

This is FASCINATING. The way they keep couching it in terms of just wanting to try a new and exciting writing project with all sorts of cool new ideas...so why crypto/NFT?? They're inherently commercial. It's literally about money. Why would your mind go there in the first place if your intention was to foster writing talent and create a new kind of community? Not surprised this got realized as a scam and shut down so fast.

Those D*sc*rd screenshots of the community tearing everything apart in their attempts to understand the whole concept were beautiful.

likeaphrodite
Learner
Learner

Post by likeaphrodite »

smolante12 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:59 pm
if i'm understanding all this correctly, they're basically asking their teenaged readers to pay them to write stories of the characters and settings in the authors' world, and the authors will eventually choose which of the teens' stories become canon to be published under their name... how did they think any of that would work? they can just write fanfiction for free anyway, which is also completely legal. i hope this doesn't become one of those things everyone just forgets about next week.
this TikTok i found explains it quite well

laurasommeils
Informer
Informer

Post by laurasommeils »

likeaphrodite wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:56 pm
smolante12 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:59 pm
this TikTok i found explains it quite well

I think they should be ashamed of themselves and stick to writing while they remain as popular authors, lol.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:47 pm
This reminds me of when white women were whining about Crazy Rich Asians went it was adapted because it was a "typical romance". Like, yeah. For sure, write new shit, but also .... classics are classic for a reason. And part of why fanfiction is so interesting is that you can take that classic story and plot and see how things would change if you added in some poc. Like Pride and Prejudice. That comment about Lizzy being so brown from walking would have much different implications if she and her family were Indian.

just a cat
Informer
Informer

Post by just a cat »

Screenshot_20211021-230230-123.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Yes, I get tired of retellings myself but some of these are very very loose retellings that I never read the original of so I don't mind. And certain stories like Cinderella are classic for a reason.

darcybones
Informer
Informer

Post by darcybones »

i don't like retellings myself as a reading preference, but "why is it such a fad" is such an ice cold take. gee, i wonder why marginalized identities might look at the canon of "great literature" where their experience and identity isn't represented and say "actually eff that, we've been here all along" and put their own stamp on the "classics". azaleadunn's exactly on the money, when do white writers going "jane eyre in space" going to get the same pushback. (sorry alexa you were the only example my severely under caffeinated brain could come up with)

"write something NEW and beautiful from your heart. i can't wait to read it." 🙄

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Post by soratyrus »

Love that she did this during Pitch Wars...way to torpedo any chance she had.

Also, her "apology" tweet is a non-apology and the only person she directly apologizes to is the Pitch Wars twitter account for starting drama.

Return to “Twitter”