Learner
Learner

Re: Booktubers Part 10

Post by Parzival »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:06 pm
Parzival wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:53 pm

I would say some *readers,* in general, not some Black readers, necessarily. Personally I feel like I much more often see white people getting offended on behalf of Black people for silly things like that.

But yeah, I can't stand that. Don't people like that understand that they are creating more division than unification? That they are furthering the racial divide by CONSTANTLY bringing race into everything? It's very frustrating to me. As someone who was raised to judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin, I never used to even really think about people's skin color. But nowadays, it's just brought up constantly, and it's really counter productive imo. I have nothing against discussing race and acknolwdgeing -- and celebrating -- each others differences, but it's weird to me that some people are so fixated on it. In the past, the only people I ever knew who were *that* fixated on race all the time were the racist people...
Yeah no don't correct me. I'm talking specifically about Black booktubers and Black readers. Also miss me with that, "I don't see color" mess. Everyone sees color.
Geez louise, dude. Chill out. Literally never said that I "don't see color." I'm not blind. Obviously I can see what color skin other people have. There's a difference between seeing something and making it a big deal in your mind or fixating on it.

And I was simply making an observation of my own, so relax. That's why I said "I would say." Wasn't correcting you. You can't "correct" someone's opinion. I was simply stating my own experience.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

Parzival wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:43 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:

Yeah no don't correct me. I'm talking specifically about Black booktubers and Black readers. Also miss me with that, "I don't see color" mess. Everyone sees color.
Geez louise, dude. Chill out. Literally never said that I "don't see color." I'm not blind. Obviously I can see what color skin other people have. There's a difference between seeing something and making it a big deal in your mind or fixating on it.

And I was simply making an observation of my own, so relax. That's why I said "I would say." Wasn't correcting you. You can't "correct" someone's opinion. I was simply stating my own experience.
Why did you tell them (sorry don't know bookishbabe pronounce) to chill out and relax. About on here can read the other person tone just people have conversations 🤷🏿‍♀️. Also saying "I was raise to judge people on their character and not their skin tone " is another way to say "I don't see color" 🙄

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Parzival wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:43 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:

You tried to "but actually" my post and even worse you came through acting like it's a bad thing for people to discuss race. How dare they make you think about how white the stories you read are?

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:21 pm
greysweatpants20 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:49 am

I DNF'd Ace of Spaces quick and have no desire to return to it. The great thing about reading primarily Black and brown authors is that I can just be honest about my opinions and not cling to any singular book as my token Black read of the year/season lol.
White Smoke was another one Black booktubers and white booktubers a like heralded and it was not good. It wasn't even a paranormal read like that cover suggested. The house wasn't even haunted.
I forgot alll about white smoke, I wasn't going to pick it up anyway didn't sound interesting. Just from listening to other people review it's didn't sound good at all. You know what if paranormal activity can make the same movie multiple time let's throw some meh book in their to

maybeast
Learner
Learner

Post by maybeast »

Parzival wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:53 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:14 am

Some Black readers be angry when you rate hyped Black books negatively. I see it often on Booktube when people say they don't like Legendborn, The Deep, or Ace of Spades.
I would say some *readers,* in general, not some Black readers, necessarily. Personally I feel like I much more often see white people getting offended on behalf of Black people for silly things like that.

But yeah, I can't stand that. Don't people like that understand that they are creating more division than unification? That they are furthering the racial divide by CONSTANTLY bringing race into everything? It's very frustrating to me. As someone who was raised to judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin, I never used to even really think about people's skin color. But nowadays, it's just brought up constantly, and it's really counter productive imo. I have nothing against discussing race and acknolwdgeing -- and celebrating -- each others differences, but it's weird to me that some people are so fixated on it. In the past, the only people I ever knew who were *that* fixated on race all the time were the racist people...
Not speaking on race can also contribute to the issue, though. By not going out of your way to consume the works of non-white authors, it's just as easy to contribute to the climate of publishing--that they still favor white authors. Maybe you think it doesn't help anything to point out race, but it also doesn't help if people aren't actively seeking out non-white authors.

If you have nothing on discussing race, why did you feel the need to correct the other post and erase the comments they were making?

smolante12
Learner
Learner

Post by smolante12 »

greysweatpants20 wrote:
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:14 am

Some Black readers be angry when you rate hyped Black books negatively. I see it often on Booktube when people say they don't like Legendborn, The Deep, or Ace of Spades.
I DNF'd Ace of Spaces quick and have no desire to return to it. The great thing about reading primarily Black and brown authors is that I can just be honest about my opinions and not cling to any singular book as my token Black read of the year/season lol.
sometimes it really does feel like a double-edged sword because i want more black books and authors to succeed, but tbh there are a lot that i just don't like. and i think that some black people try to guilt trip us for not liking certain books because then publishers might think it's the fact that the books are by/about black people and not just because some books aren't well-written or the specific genre or subject matter doesn't interest me. but if we lie and just keep hyping everything without discretion, publishers and authors might put out more low-quality or won't write about other things.

BasicBooktuber1
Talker
Talker

Post by BasicBooktuber1 »

bookish_lurker wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:48 pm

To me 490 isn't that bad, my TBR of physical books I own that are unread is roughly 1,200 books. But I've been collecting books for 20 years and I've read a couple genres consistently that entire time (romance and mystery/thrillers), so that built up over time. I like having choices when deciding what to read as I'm a mood reader and honestly I'm not likely to ever have a small TBR. I read a few hundred books per year, so even if I did suddenly stop getting new books it would only take me about 4 years to get through them all.
I guess a lot of my bookish habits are informed by my current life situation. I could see myself getting more books in my life if I had the space for them and the certainty that I wouldn't be moving for a long time plus disposable income. I like the idea of a personal library in theory but it's just not going to be in the cards for me for a very long time.

But I admire people's large libraries for a distance. Even if they do give me a tinge of anxiety

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

smolante12 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:15 pm
greysweatpants20 wrote:

sometimes it really does feel like a double-edged sword because i want more black books and authors to succeed, but tbh there are a lot that i just don't like. and i think that some black people try to guilt trip us for not liking certain books because then publishers might think it's the fact that the books are by/about black people and not just because some books aren't well-written or the specific genre or subject matter doesn't interest me. but if we lie and just keep hyping everything without discretion, publishers and authors might put out more low-quality or won't write about other things.
Very much true. I mean look how much it get hype the first book and then second book not a word.

I just don't understand if you ( not saying you talking in general) know the book not good say it. So it can be correct because look what happen alot of low quality book

Abcread
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by Abcread »

sofisticat wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:00 pm
bookish_lurker wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:48 pm

To me 490 isn't that bad, my TBR of physical books I own that are unread is roughly 1,200 books. But I've been collecting books for 20 years and I've read a couple genres consistently that entire time (romance and mystery/thrillers), so that built up over time. I like having choices when deciding what to read as I'm a mood reader and honestly I'm not likely to ever have a small TBR. I read a few hundred books per year, so even if I did suddenly stop getting new books it would only take me about 4 years to get through them all.
Yeah, I don't think it's that big of a deal either. Some people like having a personal library. I have around 280 books with a little over 20% read. I do unhaul some books I'm no longer into (mostly YA I bought because of the hype), or ones that I rated 2 stars or lower. I also make a lot of use with my library. Idk, to each their own but I don't think having a lot of books is necessarily a big deal.
Wow! I’m so jealous of you! If I have more than 10 unread books my head goes crazy. I start to stress read them so I can get the number down. Right now I have 4 unread books and I’m like “ahh peace”.

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

Abcread wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:06 am
sofisticat wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:00 pm

Yeah, I don't think it's that big of a deal either. Some people like having a personal library. I have around 280 books with a little over 20% read. I do unhaul some books I'm no longer into (mostly YA I bought because of the hype), or ones that I rated 2 stars or lower. I also make a lot of use with my library. Idk, to each their own but I don't think having a lot of books is necessarily a big deal.
Wow! I’m so jealous of you! If I have more than 10 unread books my head goes crazy. I start to stress read them so I can get the number down. Right now I have 4 unread books and I’m like “ahh peace”.
When I saw Beauty and the Beast as a child, that scene where Belle gets that big ass library was really formative to me. Lol. I've always wanted a library and most of my money goes to books, which I'm cool with. I've since calmed down on how big I want my own personal library to be but I did move a couple states and packed all of my books with me (then moved back home). So it is doable, lol. Now, I want a nice curated library that reflects my current interests and tastes. I used to feel badly about having so many unread books but I like having a lot of choices at my disposal, and I can't imagine not having a good amount of books in my home.

They all fit on one Ikea bookcase too!

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

A Booktuber Meet Up

bookish_lurker
Learner
Learner

Post by bookish_lurker »

sofisticat wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:20 am
Abcread wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:06 am

When I saw Beauty and the Beast as a child, that scene where Belle gets that big ass library was really formative to me. Lol. I've always wanted a library and most of my money goes to books, which I'm cool with. I've since calmed down on how big I want my own personal library to be but I did move a couple states and packed all of my books with me (then moved back home). So it is doable, lol. Now, I want a nice curated library that reflects my current interests and tastes. I used to feel badly about having so many unread books but I like having a lot of choices at my disposal, and I can't imagine not having a good amount of books in my home.

Yep, that Beauty and the Beast library as a kid is pretty much what did it for me. I saw that and was like, I need to have that one day.

I didn't have nearly as many books when I was still in an apartment and could only fit a few bookshelves, but after I bought my house almost 7 years ago is when I started buying more as I turned one of the bedrooms into a library/office with wall to wall shelves. My husband likes to joke that one day the room is just going to collapse into the downstairs due to how many books are in it.

LadyEowyn
Wanderer
Wanderer
Been thanked: 0

Post by LadyEowyn »

Wow y'all are coming for me about White Smoke haha. I read an ARC of it early and quite liked it, but I'm surprised it's gotten all the hype it has from mainstream Booktube. I requested the ARC because I LOVE a haunted house story, and I was pretty happy with the way the haunted house tropes were used despite there not actually being a paranormal element. I also liked the way the teenagers were written as, well, teenagers, and the way that the horror aspects were tied to the community decline. That said, it's certainly not an 'important' or 'essential' book, just one that met my trope interests and seems to get teenagers. I think maybe they all bought into it because it's by Tiffany D. Jackson and they thought it would/must be an 'important contemporary YA about race' as some of her previous books were marketed... but it's not, lol.

I think what mildly bugs me about the booktubers with huge owned TBRs is how often they do unhauls of said owned TBRs; there's a sense of waste to that, of buying books in bulk that you lose interest in before you can get to them. On the other hand, books are being bought and passed along, which I think is a good thing, and the booktubers probably get their money's worth out of the content generation. Lord knows the "consumerism in Booktube" discussion has been done to death by now.

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

bookish_lurker wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:29 am
sofisticat wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:20 am

Yep, that Beauty and the Beast library as a kid is pretty much what did it for me. I saw that and was like, I need to have that one day.

I didn't have nearly as many books when I was still in an apartment and could only fit a few bookshelves, but after I bought my house almost 7 years ago is when I started buying more as I turned one of the bedrooms into a library/office with wall to wall shelves. My husband likes to joke that one day the room is just going to collapse into the downstairs due to how many books are in it.
Ahh, that's the dream. I have plans to make a guest room to be a library/beauty room and I'm ridiculously stoked for it.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

I've been trying to watch Ashley's vlogmas videos but they all feel very educational and preachy this year.

BasicBooktuber1
Talker
Talker

Post by BasicBooktuber1 »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:02 am
I've been trying to watch Ashley's vlogmas videos but they all feel very educational and preachy this year.
For me it's just that a lot of her discussions on diversity are stuff I've heard before from her and other creators. I like her favourites/recommendations lists though

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:20 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
For me it's just that a lot of her discussions on diversity are stuff I've heard before from her and other creators. I like her favourites/recommendations lists though
It's repetitive and feels like she's preaching to her her white reviewers. Plus as much as she talks about diversity she also tends to fall into the trap of describing books by authors who aren't straight and white as very important. Even when she's talking about picture books. I understand they put lessons in them but she always approaches them from a pov of what they can teach her about other cultures.

grilledcheese_
Talker
Talker

Post by grilledcheese_ »

BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
TheBookishBabe wrote:
this exactly!! it's not even her fault, I honestly think it's discussions that constantly come up in the book community that just need to like... stop lmao. do we seriously need to talk about if booktuber's read too much? do we need to keep talking about consumerism? I think the topic of reading diversely is important but I wish instead of making videos about why it's important, she would just make recommendation videos that include diverse books.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:31 pm
BasicBooktuber1 wrote:

It's repetitive and feels like she's preaching to her her white reviewers. Plus as much as she talks about diversity she also tends to fall into the trap of describing books by authors who aren't straight and white as very important. Even when she's talking about picture books. I understand they put lessons in them but she always approaches them from a pov of what they can teach her about other cultures.
Same I been trying to get into her videos but I'm over it. Honestly these topic we heard about for years now and how much can you add on to a topic that been beating to the ground

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

grilledcheese_ wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:40 pm
BasicBooktuber1 wrote:

this exactly!! it's not even her fault, I honestly think it's discussions that constantly come up in the book community that just need to like... stop lmao. do we seriously need to talk about if booktuber's read too much? do we need to keep talking about consumerism? I think the topic of reading diversely is important but I wish instead of making videos about why it's important, she would just make recommendation videos that include diverse books.
I like hearing her talk about books that Booktube doesn't talk about and I'm really interested in more librarian content. I'd love to see another day in the life of a librarian video. Maybe hear her discuss how her job influences what she reads and books she reads when she's reading for work vs stuff she just enjoys to read outside of work. What the process was like getting her foot in the door. Jobs available in the library besides librarian that the public doesn't even realized. Her critique of how being a librarian is portrayed in books.

Return to “BookTube”