Booktubers Part 10

TheBookishBabe

Re: Booktubers Part 10

Post by TheBookishBabe »

I've been enjoying shorter videos lately. And smaller creators.

bookishpiscesx
Learner
Learner

Post by bookishpiscesx »

Idk if anyone has talked about this before but Hannah from a clockwork reader has been annoying me with her constant cycle of leaving and randomly returning. For the past nearly yearish or year and a half she’ll leave booktube and then come back and say how she’s excited to read and film videos again. Then she’ll post one or two videos and disappear again for a couple of months and then randomly comeback saying how she’s excited to be back and she’ll post a video and leave. And usually majority of the videos she posts are all sponsored and so it gives the impression she’s only posting videos when she has a sponsorship opportunity.
I really think she lost her love for reading and just being on booktube in general, like a lot of big named booktubers.
I really like her videos and I even bought her reading journal, but like girl if you aren’t feeling booktube just say that and leave for a few months instead of constantly saying how you’re happy to be back just to disappear again.🤔
She claims a video is coming tomorrow and she probably won’t even post again until next year.

Abcread
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by Abcread »

bookishpiscesx wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:17 pm
Idk if anyone has talked about this before but Hannah from a clockwork reader has been annoying me with her constant cycle of leaving and randomly returning. For the past nearly yearish or year and a half she’ll leave booktube and then come back and say how she’s excited to read and film videos again. Then she’ll post one or two videos and disappear again for a couple of months and then randomly comeback saying how she’s excited to be back and she’ll post a video and leave. And usually majority of the videos she posts are all sponsored and so it gives the impression she’s only posting videos when she has a sponsorship opportunity.
I really think she lost her love for reading and just being on booktube in general, like a lot of big named booktubers.
I really like her videos and I even bought her reading journal, but like girl if you aren’t feeling booktube just say that and leave for a few months instead of constantly saying how you’re happy to be back just to disappear again.🤔
She claims a video is coming tomorrow and she probably won’t even post again until next year.

Yes this is so annoying! Feels like she only uses her channel for sponsorships. I love her vlogs but I don’t want to watch her if she only going to use her channel for money and not because she wants to talk about books. I watch booktube because I want to see other people that love to read

Bookhaven
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Bookhaven »

Hey all long time lurker finally signed up. Wanted to say I agree about clockword reader. Readbyzoe was the same (post a vid saying I'm back...doesnt post again for a year) for awhile but she's been MIA for a long time again.

Also obviously no one but them knows what happened but I always had the feeling Zoe (Zoe Delaney) would leave or have a falling out with Kalyn/Liv. Just hearing about her insecurities ect I felt like she probably felt like the odd one out of the group. The 3 of them have a similiar youtube/life vibe going & I'm wondering if jealousy might have played a role. But I digress she's moved on to a new readathon with new "besties" so good for her?

I should point out I actually enjoy their content - but Zoe put it out there with her post so my curiosity was piqued lol

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:27 pm
I can see why Morgan would think that the Book community is worse than the Beauty community. I'm in both as a viewer and I think there is more freedom to have differing opinions .... depending on what section or type of subcommunity you're in. Mid- or Smaller creators often have more freedom to express their opinions whereas the larger BGs are seen as shills (rightfully so back in the day of undisclosed sponsorships). But I do think Emily Fox, who's also in both, would disagree as she was a fairly decent sized BG (~400k subs) and she's talked about how she felt a bit stifled if she veered "off script" for some of her videos.

I think mainly it's what section you're in. Like people who think Booktube is *only* about YA fantasy when there are other types of genres out there but you have to do a little digging and searching to find things that better suit you're taste.

I do feel her about book counts. I'm a slow reader and I'm also busy (existing in higher academia until fairly recently) so my book counts are always low. I typically average a book a week if I'm lucky and some of the booktubers I watch (well most, really) are pulling double digit counts and I'm just like, wish I could relate 🥲

I also like books that have writing in them; I love marginalia and writing in my own books and I don't care how other people keep their own books but I loathe when people act like cracking the spine makes you a monster. I watched one young woman (can't recall her name) actually refer to people who do that as "being a savage" and that really irked the shit out me.

boredafbooks
Learner
Learner

Post by boredafbooks »

Abcread wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:26 am
bookishpiscesx wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:17 pm

Yes this is so annoying! Feels like she only uses her channel for sponsorships. I love her vlogs but I don’t want to watch her if she only going to use her channel for money and not because she wants to talk about books. I watch booktube because I want to see other people that love to read
I agree (sorry if there are formatting issue - i am a longtime lurker here but have never posted). I remember getting frustrated with Hannah a while back because she posted a vlog where she was ~soooooo busy~ and all she did for work was edit a video and answer 4 emails. I understand that if she is depressed or anxious that it can make it feel like these tasks are monumental, but I would rather her say that then pretend she's a workaholic and needs a day off after a "busy day like that." Idk it just rubbed me the wrong way because I feel like there are so many amazing booktubers who also work full-time/part-time jobs or have kids/etc and they don't get a lot of credit for being able to keep a sustainable channel in addition to everything.

This what a vlog that went up a while ago, and I am pretty sure she stated that YT was her full time job at the time. I haven't kept up with her since but maybe she's doing other things now taking her away from YT?

Abcread
Learner
Learner

Post by Abcread »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:27 pm

I find booktube and BookTwitter very “gatekeepy”. It’s so focused on the US that I feel like if I have a different opinion than the US I get cancelled for it. I need to know what happens with American authors, politics and other stuff or I’m everything from mean to racist. I “need” to spread the word about what happens in the US or “I’m a bad allay ” or again a racist but I have situations in my country I rather talk about if I want to talk about politics (booktwitter/bookstagram). I have minority groups in my county that almost no one speak about so I rather spend my time on that. I can’t do everything. I don’t have the time or the energy to learn about everything in the US and to read about it so I can with confidence share information about it.

So yes I find booktube (and almost all off social media) very focused on US and Americans do not let other people speak. It’s gatekeeping in a form of “you need to think and act like us in the US or you’re bad”

But most of the time I don’t think booktube gatekeep in the form of: you need this or that.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

I see Mel took her latest book idea from Jack Edwards. It would've been nice if she acknowledged that's who inspired her. What is it with Booktube not wanting to give credit where credit is due to original video ideas?

DeathArcana
Talker
Talker

Post by DeathArcana »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:57 pm
I see Mel took her latest book idea from Jack Edwards. It would've been nice if she acknowledged that's who inspired her. What is it with Booktube not wanting to give credit where credit is due to original video ideas?
to be fair, I've seen "reading *celebrity* favorite books" videos before Jack Edwards

jaric
Learner
Learner

Post by jaric »

sofisticat wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:45 pm

I can see why Morgan would think that the Book community is worse than the Beauty community. I'm in both as a viewer and I think there is more freedom to have differing opinions .... depending on what section or type of subcommunity you're in. Mid- or Smaller creators often have more freedom to express their opinions whereas the larger BGs are seen as shills (rightfully so back in the day of undisclosed sponsorships). But I do think Emily Fox, who's also in both, would disagree as she was a fairly decent sized BG (~400k subs) and she's talked about how she felt a bit stifled if she veered "off script" for some of her videos.
Well, usually nobody will storm BG's comments over a pallet, but people are ready to storm booktuber's comments over a book. I've seen it couple of times when a blogger didn't like some very popular books with steady fanbase. Liene's Library uses banhammer very often for this exact reason as I remember.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

DeathArcana wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:14 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:57 pm
to be fair, I've seen "reading *celebrity* favorite books" videos before Jack Edwards
and as far as I know, uncarley did a video with his books, Jack never did and I'm still waiting for that Jack pleaseee :D

smolante12
Learner
Learner

Post by smolante12 »

oh_do_tell wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:48 am
DeathArcana wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:14 pm

and as far as I know, uncarley did a video with his books, Jack never did and I'm still waiting for that Jack pleaseee :D
it just seems like another trend on booktube that has a simple formula that can be created countless times and still be interesting. i think even before uncarly's videos i saw some people doing "reading every book recommended by namjoon from bts" videos. but i think it's cool to see them reading books they otherwise may not have to find books and authors they may like or dislike and maybe spreading the word about them to their subscribers.

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

jaric wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:49 pm
sofisticat wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:45 pm

Well, usually nobody will storm BG's comments over a pallet, but people are ready to storm booktuber's comments over a book. I've seen it couple of times when a blogger didn't like some very popular books with steady fanbase. Liene's Library uses banhammer very often for this exact reason as I remember.
You must not be into the beauty community, lol. When Rare Beauty first launched, there was a rumor that Selena had the packaging designed specifically for people with arthritis in mind (something that's since been debunked) and when BGs didn't mention it (because their website didn't), their videos were flooded. Likewise, people who didn't instantly rave over the products were attacked as either haters or shills for some other brand.

This also happened more recently with Lisa Eldridge's foundation release, albeit on a smaller scale but still happened nonetheless. A creator did a follow up video trying suggestions in the comment section even though the foundation didn't work for him.

Not to mention J* and James Charles still have a sizeable stan/fan base who will drag you to filth if you don't like whatever product is released.

smolante12
Learner
Learner

Post by smolante12 »

sofisticat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:10 pm
jaric wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:49 pm

You must not be into the beauty community, lol. When Rare Beauty first launched, there was a rumor that Selena had the packaging designed specifically for people with arthritis in mind (something that's since been debunked) and when BGs didn't mention it (because their website didn't), their videos were flooded. Likewise, people who didn't instantly rave over the products were attacked as either haters or shills for some other brand.

This also happened more recently with Lisa Eldridge's foundation release, albeit on a smaller scale but still happened nonetheless. A creator did a follow up video trying suggestions in the comment section even though the foundation didn't work for him.

Not to mention J* and James Charles still have a sizeable stan/fan base who will drag you to filth if you don't like whatever product is released.

jaclyn hill has to fight for her life in every comment section if she even mentions or hints at releasing anything. and jackie aina had to fend off people on twitter because she said she didn't like the cream blushes from fenty.

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

smolante12 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:10 pm
sofisticat wrote:

jaclyn hill has to fight for her life in every comment section if she even mentions or hints at releasing anything. and jackie aina had to fend off people on twitter because she said she didn't like the cream blushes from fenty.
Man, lipstick gate alone lasted an entire summer! It was its own dramageddon.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

smolante12 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:10 pm
sofisticat wrote:

Those Fenty Beauty stans are vicious

grilledcheese_
Talker
Talker

Post by grilledcheese_ »

Some smaller creators recent videos I've been enjoying today!

Beaniebaby29
Learner
Learner

Post by Beaniebaby29 »

Holly’s videos are unwatchable now with the inclusion of memes and gifs. I had to exit out of her TBR.

laurasommeils
Informer
Informer

Post by laurasommeils »

I just watched a Youtube compilation of "booktoks" and it left me wondering: do people really go on booktok and suggest books that were hyped by booktube 5+ years ago? Like Divergent, Angelfall, Legend, The perks of being a Wallflower, The Hunger Games... Shadow and Bone I can understand that it became relevant again because of the Netflix series, but I was a little bit surprised. I mean they just aren't books that people haven't heard about already, and I figured that other books would've been recommended. I also saw Beach Read and The hating game recommended a lot, and they were "just ok" romances for me. I wasn't surprised they're popular because I've seen people try to read more rom-com kind of books.
I just wanted to ask because I don't have a tik tok and I became curious about what people normally hype up there.

Return to “BookTube”