Kristen Martin Pt. 2

Storyteller25
Talker
Talker

Re: Kristen Martin Pt. 2

Post by Storyteller25 »

Her latest newsletter in a nutshell:

I went from writer to author in one year!

[Blah, bla, blah...]

Now she's claiming she got "shafted" by the editor she hired :roll: Like, I know that happens, but she's never mentioned it before to my knowledge.

BUY VALIANCE!

OneMoreMessyReader
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by OneMoreMessyReader »

Storyteller25 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 am

[Blah, bla, blah...]

Now she's claiming she got "shafted" by the editor she hired :roll: Like, I know that happens, but she's never mentioned it before to my knowledge.

BUY VALIANCE!
I thought Miss Universe didn't use editors cause they ruined her "voice".

Storyteller25
Talker
Talker

Post by Storyteller25 »

OneMoreMessyReader wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:57 am
Storyteller25 wrote:

[Blah, bla, blah...]

BUY VALIANCE!
I thought Miss Universe didn't use editors cause they ruined her "voice".
We don't bite, Kristen, I promise :rofl: I've actually had to reassure clients that we don't mess with an author's voice. Probably because people like her perpetuate the myth that we do. The only thing a good editor fixes is actual mistakes and we suggest how to make the manuscript better.

carsoned82
Lurker
Lurker

Post by carsoned82 »

Following.

I still don't understand why certain authors support her. Anna Vera comes to mind where she doesn't seem overly scammy, seems to genuinely care about improving her own craft, and actually works as an editor, but is the number one person to blow up KM? I don't get it.

chocolatebunny
Learner
Learner

Post by chocolatebunny »

Storyteller25 wrote:

[Blah, bla, blah...]

BUY VALIANCE!
Does anyone else remember her copying Natalia Leigh? I don’t remember exactly what she did, but I remember seeing she copied a video idea, and Natalia had a bad experience with an editor once.
This could be another instance where Kristen’s stolen someone else’s experience. I’ve read The Alpha Drive and Shadow Crown, and those books definitely weren’t edited, at least not by someone who has any right to call themselves an editor.

OneMoreMessyReader
Talker
Talker

Post by OneMoreMessyReader »

chocolatebunny wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:22 pm
Storyteller25 wrote:

[Blah, bla, blah...]

BUY VALIANCE!
Does anyone else remember her copying Natalia Leigh? I don’t remember exactly what she did, but I remember seeing she copied a video idea, and Natalia had a bad experience with an editor once.
This could be another instance where Kristen’s stolen someone else’s experience. I’ve read The Alpha Drive and Shadow Crown, and those books definitely weren’t edited, at least not by someone who has any right to call themselves an editor.
In the defense of this potentially non existent editor, it's entirely possible that she got a comprehensive feedback letter and just completely threw it out the window cause she can't take criticism.

May14159
Informer
Informer

Post by May14159 »

how is she still getting companies like skill share paying her to endorse them?

Asdf_lurker
Learner
Learner

Post by Asdf_lurker »

May14159 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:17 am
how is she still getting companies like skill share paying her to endorse them?
Low bar to entry. It’s an affiliate program any joe blow with a blog can sign up for it.

https://www.skillshare.com/affiliates

May14159
Informer
Informer

Post by May14159 »

i love how in her latest vlog she basically saidm "i forgot what it was like to actually be productive in the morning" AND THEN NAPPED ALL AFTERNOON. we've come so far away from what this channel was about

chocolatebunny
Learner
Learner

Post by chocolatebunny »

May14159 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:28 pm
i love how in her latest vlog she basically saidm "i forgot what it was like to actually be productive in the morning" AND THEN NAPPED ALL AFTERNOON. we've come so far away from what this channel was about
Right? She was “so tired out” from going to B&N and a coffee shop. What a hard life 😂

Storyteller25
Talker
Talker

Post by Storyteller25 »

Whenever she says situation, I cringe so hard because it reminds me of a YouTuber named Amberlynn Reid.

Yogadog
Debater
Debater

Post by Yogadog »

Holy Informercial, Batman! I thought maybe some holiday content would be fun. I kept fast-forwarding through the sales pitches and finally had to give up.

nothing_much
Debater
Debater

Post by nothing_much »

Oof in her instastories she is trying SOOOOO hard to be “quirky” and “fun”. It’s cringe. She is a painful combination of hyper-self conscious and narcissistic. Like I think she’s legitimately under the impression that she’s a celebrity.
At first it was intriguing to see her dump authortube and go in a completely new direction with the spiritual stuff but now that she’s gone back to hawking her nanowrimo course and posting writer content she’s this strange mix. One minute it’s all astrology and tarot and meditation and then the next it’s back to old Kristen with hyperactive rants, “productivity” and day in the life vlogs.

May14159
Informer
Informer

Post by May14159 »

This is the part where i admit i'm subscribed to her newsletter, and that i didnt read the most recent one after "writing can be more than just a hobby"

Nowadays, it IS her hobby. She's more into her courses than her books (probably cuz nano) but she barely mentioned it when the last one came out. It just makes my eyes roll when she talks about being an author now. Like, technically it's true, but she is not someone i would ever want to take advice from on writing. It's weird because i used to really admire her at the beginning because of how productive she was

nothing_much
Debater
Debater

Post by nothing_much »

Her latest video is unwatchable. She is super irritated, complaining about her hair, her slow computer, her old camera that keeps falling, the power going out, her phone dinging. Every time she complains she laughs it off in a sing-song voice as if passive aggressive jokes means she’s “staying positive”. I don’t understand why she doesn’t just do another take or cut that stuff out?? She just hits record and then gripes the whole time! For someone who is supposedly “living the dream” she sure seems miserable.

She also complained about having to do too much “administrative crap” for her business and I’m just like... I thought being your own boss and working from home was better than corporate 9-5. She seems to hate any kind of work these days. I understand that everyone vents a little but if she was having a bad day she shouldn’t film! She makes it sound like she hates being a full time creative entrepreneur writer spiritual guru or whatever she is nowadays.
She whines about her computer taking 4 minutes to restart and then goes on to brag about her amazing editing skills because she cuts out “hours” of footage. That may be so but I think she cut all the wrong bits.

Also she misused the word “lucrative” when trying to say her writing sessions have been more “productive”. Lucrative means to make money.

WanderingWeirdo2
Debater
Debater

Post by WanderingWeirdo2 »

She also goes outside to film and then spends 80% of the clip complaining that birds are making noises. Birds chirping during the day. What a concept. But I thought she was one with nature and would enjoy it? Isn't that what an ethereal spiritual plane driver empath star killer does?

Beautylight
Learner
Learner

Post by Beautylight »

May14159 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:53 pm
This is the part where i admit i'm subscribed to her newsletter, and that i didnt read the most recent one after "writing can be more than just a hobby"

Nowadays, it IS her hobby. She's more into her courses than her books (probably cuz nano) but she barely mentioned it when the last one came out. It just makes my eyes roll when she talks about being an author now. Like, technically it's true, but she is not someone i would ever want to take advice from on writing. It's weird because i used to really admire her at the beginning because of how productive she was
She's properly pushing this writers craft 2.0 deal. She's emailing pretty much daily to newsletter subscribers. It's off putting and I wouldn't be surprised if people unsubscribe. I probably should lol.

I haven't watched any videos of hers recently, are they that bad?

smokingandangry
Informer
Informer

Post by smokingandangry »

nothing_much wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:50 pm
Her latest video is unwatchable. She is super irritated, complaining about her hair, her slow computer, her old camera that keeps falling, the power going out, her phone dinging. Every time she complains she laughs it off in a sing-song voice as if passive aggressive jokes means she’s “staying positive”. I don’t understand why she doesn’t just do another take or cut that stuff out?? She just hits record and then gripes the whole time! For someone who is supposedly “living the dream” she sure seems miserable.

She also complained about having to do too much “administrative crap” for her business and I’m just like... I thought being your own boss and working from home was better than corporate 9-5. She seems to hate any kind of work these days. I understand that everyone vents a little but if she was having a bad day she shouldn’t film! She makes it sound like she hates being a full time creative entrepreneur writer spiritual guru or whatever she is nowadays.
She whines about her computer taking 4 minutes to restart and then goes on to brag about her amazing editing skills because she cuts out “hours” of footage. That may be so but I think she cut all the wrong bits.

Also she misused the word “lucrative” when trying to say her writing sessions have been more “productive”. Lucrative means to make money.
I haven't watched her in so long but decided to sit through this one and you're right, this is absolutely horrible. She seems angry throughout the whole video? wtf? the whole picture of her life she put together here is actually kind of sad because she's like this angry loud karen stomping around her own home totally alone in the dark? ranting about work, her computer, even her DOG...

even if i didn't know anything about kristen, i'm pretty sure this video would put me off buying any of her "coaching" materials because the life pictured in this vlog is bleak af. it seems like such a lonely frustrating existence.

also shouting that doing orders and her coaching job is "crap" is so ridiculously tone deaf considering she's making these videos for the very people who give her this "crap" to do, lol. she seems to really resent other people. sorry you can't make six figures doing literally nothing, km.

May14159
Informer
Informer

Post by May14159 »

She just needs a rich husband so she can fund her delusions

nothing_much
Debater
Debater

Post by nothing_much »

she said she's making a big announcement in the new year. anybody have any guesses?

I'm guessing she will put all her books on final sale, quit Youtube & stop making writer-based content to focus on spiritual guru stuff. She probably feels like its easier to con people out of their money when you can just cite "spirit guides" as your qualifications. And she seems to have gone really heavily in that direction.

Also I bet you anything she wants to rename her podcast "That Smart Hustle" because she's been posting anti-hustle content for A WHILE now. lol the irony.

Return to “BookTube”