All About Books- Recs,Rants,Raves

faeling
Learner
Learner

Re: All About Books- Recs,Rants,Raves

Post by faeling »

So has anyone noticed how mum everyone has been on Empire of the Vampire? Like, I don't fuck with Jay Kristoff but I. Could't. Escape. all the hype surround that fucking series. Then it came out and...nothing.

I checked goodreads and it's only been rated 6,000 times, which is PITIFUL for someone of his popularity. It's still well rated, so I wonder what happened.

_milktea
Learner
Learner

Post by _milktea »

faeling wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:18 pm
So has anyone noticed how mum everyone has been on Empire of the Vampire? Like, I don't fuck with Jay Kristoff but I. Could't. Escape. all the hype surround that fucking series. Then it came out and...nothing.

I checked goodreads and it's only been rated 6,000 times, which is PITIFUL for someone of his popularity. It's still well rated, so I wonder what happened.
I think after his slight cancellation, a lot of people on Booktube dropped him. I'm not actually sure how popular Jay Kristoff is outside of the internet. His books are bestsellers but aside from the Illuminae Files, I don't see a lot of people actually reading them.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

faeling wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:18 pm

The book groups I'm in. Everyone was saying their on their 8-9 edition of that book that they bought. Then when the book came out it's VERY MIXED reviews and I'm seeing more of people saying they finding it so boring after reading 150 pages. Either they say they DNF or just put it down and hopefully pick it up at a later time. Other people said they finish it over 2-3 and love it. Outside the Ya community people that really like him I don't know alot of people that read him outside of that

BookBird
Learner
Learner

Post by BookBird »

It's interesting as the people I follow all seem to love it.
I got the ebook from the library (the plus side of checking the app all the time, new books with no wait timesel!) and I found it quite meh. I know he gets annoyed when people call his stuff YA as it's got blood, gore and sex in it, but I get why people do. The writing feels quite juvenile to me, playground insults, and unnecessary use of fuck every page. I also didn't like his use of french, he uses french for a few words, but not many. Like yes is always 'oui". Then he uses mother in English, but one of the rivers they talk about is called "mere" I expected there to be more to this due to the use of french, but there really wasn't.

It all felt one level rather than deeper layers to try and figure out.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

1: shout out to the library app no wait-list love to see It 👏🏿👏🏿

I hear that alot when all his books (except illuminate) he over use fuck alot for no reason from what people say. Every booktuber recommend nevernight series for older characters but read like YA.

BookBird
Learner
Learner

Post by BookBird »

Looking at the Goodreads choice awards just reminds me, that for me, the releases this year have been fairly meh. You can predict the winners even before the longlist has come out.

My only question, have they changed the release dates to be eligible? I know in past years books that weren't even out at the start of opening voting got through. However this time I predicted empire of the vampire would win fantasy (with SJM coming second), but jay kristoff isn't even on the preliminary list.

flagitdown
Learner
Learner

Post by flagitdown »

BookBird wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:21 am
However this time I predicted empire of the vampire would win fantasy (with SJM coming second), but jay kristoff isn't even on the preliminary list.
I don't know if it was published too recently to be included but there is no way Empire of the Vampire with 7.800 ratings would win over ACOSF with 195.000 ratings

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

BookBird wrote:
Looking at the Goodreads choice awards just reminds me, that for me, the releases this year have been fairly meh. You can predict the winners even before the longlist has come out.

My only question, have they changed the release dates to be eligible? I know in past years books that weren't even out at the start of opening voting got through. However this time I predicted empire of the vampire would win fantasy (with SJM coming second), but jay kristoff isn't even on the preliminary list.
I was tryna figure out the cutoff date when I saw a meh book from Dec 2020 as a nominee.

bookish_lurker
Learner
Learner

Post by bookish_lurker »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:33 pm
BookBird wrote:

I was tryna figure out the cutoff date when I saw a meh book from Dec 2020 as a nominee.
Found this in the "Rules & Eligibility" section.

"Books published in the United States in English, including works in translation and other significant rereleases, between November 18, 2020, and November 16, 2021, are eligible for the 2021 Goodreads Choice Awards."

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

bookish_lurker wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:02 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:33 pm

"Books published in the United States in English, including works in translation and other significant rereleases, between November 18, 2020, and November 16, 2021, are eligible for the 2021 Goodreads Choice Awards."
I didn't even see them give the option to write in books this year.

bookish_lurker
Learner
Learner

Post by bookish_lurker »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:10 pm
bookish_lurker wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:02 pm

I didn't even see them give the option to write in books this year.
That's something they got rid of this year (see below from their post on updates to the awards this year).

"Write-In Votes: Only a tiny fraction of the overall votes were write-in votes so we are retiring this option in 2021. All nominees will be based on what Goodreads readers have added, rated, and reviewed this year."

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

I'm. It surprised if it's not on there because like someone above no one's really talking about the book like that or going on Goodreads because nowadays a lot of people say they don't rate books on Goodreads or give star ratings because they can't add a half a star or so what.

Then alot of people been dnf that book and always coming back to the book at a different time.

Now some people trying to start a petition or whatever or come at Goodreads to tell them to add empire of the vampire 😅

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

I don't know why they made the cutoff Nov 16. It makes books released this week completely ineligible when people haven't had the chance to read them.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

People just get upset over almost anything 🤨🤔🙄 illiumcrate just announce their new press or whatever. People have said about the price but y'all was ready to throw $200-300$ on a couple of UK books not to long ago. Due people not understand this is a different from normal subscription and they have to make their money back

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:23 am
He is a man child and nobody can tell me anything different. If it wasn't a good book why people have been writing it on Goodreads and been talking about it oh because he need more editors. 🤷🏿‍♀️🤷🏿‍♀️

BookBird
Learner
Learner

Post by BookBird »

It's that he's acting like this is a personal affront towards him. Books that are popular, especially books that are seen to be popular on booktube, but who knows about in the bigger world, don't always get nominated.

I was a little disappointed last year that Loveless wasn't on the longlist in the YA category, I thought it was a really good book giving representation to a group which didn't have much in media. I also double checked and even now it has more and higher ratings than the bottom half of the finalists. However I'm so glad Alice Oseman didn't go off on one and throw a tantrum, she didn't even mention it.

Also, as my autocorrect changed Oseman to Osman it made me look and Richard Osman wasn't nominated in the mystery category. That came out 2 months ago and had 25k ish ratings, and an average of 4.5, he's also not getting annoyed (although you have the arguement that he's not primarily an author).

There's probably tons more authors that fall in to this category, he needs to stop throwing his toys out the pram and grow up

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

We all know that the Goodreads Choice Awards is essentially a popularity contest. It seems like someone's mad about his fall from grace. Not our fault if his writing isn't there. 😬

sofisticat
Informer
Informer

Post by sofisticat »

Books I've read in November:
  • Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey (2/5)
  • Bunny by Mona Awad (DNF)
  • Nothing But Blackened Teeth by Cassandra Khaw (2/5)
  • Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells (4/5)
I've been having a shitty reading year, lol. But it seems like I'm hitting nothing but overly hyped books. I found Bunny in particular to be incredibly cringe and obnoxious; it seems like a lot of people didn't know what to think about the book and so just rated it around the 4 star mark on GR. Magic for Liars suffered a terrible protag, imo, and weak world building. The premise was there and interesting but the characters just weren't strong enough to carry the lack of plot. Same with Nothing But Blackened Teeth; an unlikable cast of characters with overly flowery writing and SAT-like words that weren't used correctly (!) in some instances.

As for Fugitive Telemetry, I really like the Murderbot series so this was an enjoyable read for me. And the audiobooks are narrated by Kevin R. Free who really nails down the "voice" of Murderbot.

Return to “BookTube”