All About Books- Recs,Rants,Raves

sophisays
Debater
Debater

All About Books- Recs,Rants,Raves

Post by sophisays »

So as not to clog up the booktuber/booktwitter thread, here we can share our raves or rants on the hyped or underhyped books or just simply ask for and get recs from each other. Add anything book related here.

TinyBaby
Learner
Learner

Re: All About Books- Recs,Rants,Raves

Post by TinyBaby »

Can I start with an unpopular opinion?

Red, White and Royal Blue was massively overhyped.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

TinyBaby wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:20 am
Can I start with an unpopular opinion?

Red, White and Royal Blue was massively overhyped.
Usually when Booktube/Book Twitter/Bookstagram clings to a book its massively overhyped. See that manufactured bestseller Serpent and Dove.

potatopeeler92
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by potatopeeler92 »

So many YA books that booktube obsesses over is massively overhyped like the raven boys, six of crows, the cruel prince, etc

laurasommeils
Informer
Informer

Post by laurasommeils »

Yes, it was way overhyped, it wasn't a terrible book but it wasn't that good, either. Usually overhyped stuff is or an ok read or a really meh book whose marketing team has put a lot of work into making people hype it up so others buy it.

fakedroid
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by fakedroid »

Did any of you read A Song of Wraiths and Ruin? I'm curious to know if it's any good because it gets a lot of hype even though it sounds like a pretty basic YA fantasy

prism
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by prism »

Ngl, I did really enjoy RWRB, but I can totally see how it's overhyped. I had it pre-ordered for ages since I liked the author on social media, and, despite enjoying it, was blown away by everyone loving it so much. I don't think the romance was as strong as it could be, but I personally devoured it because the main friendship group reminded me so much of my own. I passed it along to a few of the friends in question, and they all agreed with that take. It was pretty comforting since we've all moved apart since then.

I'm currently reading the Red Rising trilogy (on book three) and... the hype is worth it for this one. Some of the technical jargon doesn't grab me, but it's such a fun ride.

faeling
Learner
Learner

Post by faeling »

The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue was Not Good. I gave it a chance and tried to ignore how much of a dumpster fire Mackenzi Lee is, but it was very difficult, especially since all the problems she's been getting into is also shit that's reflected in the book. Your MC lashed out at his love interest, who is Black, with racist remarks multiple times! It was never addressed or apologized for by the time the book was over outside of the general "I've been acting like an asshole". Yet all I've heard is "uwu boyfriends".

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

fakedroid wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:06 pm
Did any of you read A Song of Wraiths and Ruin? I'm curious to know if it's any good because it gets a lot of hype even though it sounds like a pretty basic YA fantasy
I read it before Booktube latched onto it as their diverse fantasy read. I thought it was a pretty solid YA fantasy that had great world building. Rosesanne Brown stated she researched quite a few different African cultures to come up with the world and you can tell. The romance was cute enough and I don't usually care about romance in fantasy. It was a 4 star read for me though because it started out pretty slow.

blikeboy
Talker
Talker

Post by blikeboy »

The big question here: Are Brandon Sanderson's books even worth it? I mean that as a genuine inquiry and not to be shady. He has so many series and all of them are fucking LONG. I've not read anything by him but my library has his full catalogue.

Also, I hated RWRB. It took me a month to get through it. Everything was just so....dramatic. And their emails were so corny to me. I don't really read romance anymore because of that, though.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

I read this book earlier this year and agree with Justin that it was a really solid YA fantasy

fakedroid
Learner
Learner

Post by fakedroid »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:15 pm
fakedroid wrote:
I read it before Booktube latched onto it as their diverse fantasy read. I thought it was a pretty solid YA fantasy that had great world building. Rosesanne Brown stated she researched quite a few different African cultures to come up with the world and you can tell. The romance was cute enough and I don't usually care about romance in fantasy. It was a 4 star read for me though because it started out pretty slow.
Oh nice thanks for the info! I'll check it out then :D

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

fakedroid wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:55 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:15 pm
fakedroid wrote:
Oh nice thanks for the info! I'll check it out then :D
I read the arc back in May and I was surprised by how much I ended up liking it.

fakedroid
Learner
Learner

Post by fakedroid »

blikeboy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:01 pm
The big question here: Are Brandon Sanderson's books even worth it? I mean that as a genuine inquiry and not to be shady. He has so many series and all of them are fucking LONG. I've not read anything by him but my library has his full catalogue.

Also, I hated RWRB. It took me a month to get through it. Everything was just so....dramatic. And their emails were so corny to me. I don't really read romance anymore because of that, though.
I've only read Skyward and I thought it was just okay? To me his writing felt pretty juvenile and repetitive especially when he wanted to get a message across to the reader. The storyline was alright it mostly felt like set up for the rest of the series since not much actually happens until the end and I didn't care for any of the characters introduced. I expected to be blown away since everything he writes gets such astronomical hype and praise from reviewers and booktubers you can barely find anyone that dislikes his books.

His writing for adult books could be different though but ever since hearing someone say that in The Stormlight Archive the characters say "storm" and "storming" as swear words because it's y'know... The Stormlight Archive I got completely turned off from reading them because that just sounds way too corny for me :rofl:

-[+_+]-
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by -[+_+]- »

fakedroid wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:49 pm
blikeboy wrote:

I've only read Skyward and I thought it was just okay? To me his writing felt pretty juvenile and repetitive especially when he wanted to get a message across to the reader. The storyline was alright it mostly felt like set up for the rest of the series since not much actually happens until the end and I didn't care for any of the characters introduced. I expected to be blown away since everything he writes gets such astronomical hype and praise from reviewers and booktubers you can barely find anyone that dislikes his books.

His writing for adult books could be different though but ever since hearing someone say that in The Stormlight Archive the characters say "storm" and "storming" as swear words because it's y'know... The Stormlight Archive I got completely turned off from reading them because that just sounds way too corny for me :rofl:
I've heard that it's because he's Mormon that he doesn't use real swear words.

sophisays
Debater
Debater

Post by sophisays »

blikeboy wrote:

Im a Brandon Sanderson reader. I wouldn't say Im a hrdcore fangirl but I really do enjoy his books,hard to get into at the start but the end payoff is worth it imho, he doesn't do rape and gore just to be edgy like some adult fantasy writers do but there is plenty of hard choices and unexpected twists and turns. Surprisingly, Im not as big a fan of Mistborn as I am of Stormlight and Reckoners trilogy (non fantasy YA) was brilliant. I would suggest start from Elantris or Warbreaker (non series and the interconnectedness to the greater cosmere is miniscule).

also, whats RWRB?

BasicBooktuber1
Talker
Talker

Post by BasicBooktuber1 »

Does anyone have any fun/campy adult sci-fi recommendations. I would love to read something similar to Space Opera by Caherynne M. Valente.

sophisays
Debater
Debater

Post by sophisays »

oop, never mind about RWRB.. I figured it out...*dumb dumb*

Annaj001
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Annaj001 »

Has anyone read Blacktop Wasteland by S.A. Crosby? I just finished it and I thought it was incredible. I feel like it’ll give me a book hangover.

vortensity
Talker
Talker

Post by vortensity »

I'm reading Six of Crows for the first time ever and I'm honestly so bored with it y'all I might DNF it. Leigh Bardugo in general as an author feels just so overhyped to me by Booktube, and part of me thought that the Grisha trilogy was so bad I suspected she only got a book deal bc she went to Yale... and Ninth House didn't help my opinion on that

Return to “BookTube”