Ruby Granger - Part 4

Cyberbully
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ruby Granger - Part 4

Post by Cyberbully »

ALSO - (sorry for double posting it wouldn't let me edit my original post)
Forgot to mention this, but a bunch of people were talking about how "we shouldn't remember them through an ad" - all I'm asking is how many would even know/be aware/remember that it was Holocaust Memorial Day yesterday if it wasn't for her ad? Is it ethical of her to do a paid ad on it, ehhh... but if she's reinvesting it... and the reason she didn't say anything at first (about reinvesting the money) is because she doesn't want to mention every time she does charity, which I can actually appreciate since influencers on social media love to push that down our throats. :)

If you actually see/know Ruby from her videos, you know damn well she does not have ill intentions. I've followed her since 2017, and she is a lot of things and there is a lot of things she can become better at - but one thing she doesn't have is ill intentions and if you're an actual viewer you would know that.

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

I felt her Holocaust video was a bit odd. Did she mean ill? No, but like so many things she has approached, she reads a book or two, hears it is a memorial day, turns it into a fad so she can post on social media as content, and really hasn't done her homework very well. She tries to be a spokesperson for some very, very sensitive subjects. The Holocaust that took place during WWII was not bullying. It was downright cold blooded murder, torture, ethnic cleansing. And yes, this is still going on in the world, in numerous places (Syria, Central and South America, i.e.) and comparing it to one of these during a day set aside specifically for the holocaust of Hitler's Nazi Germany is rather demeaning. There are still living survivors of the holocaust and the saying "Never Forget" is an important one, because it can and is happening again, albeit in a different form and often hidden from the rest of the world.

This is yet another example of privilege, which she will eventually get called out on if she hasn't already, and her lack of understanding history, 1st hand accounts (there are a lot more diaries and memoirs than just those of Anne Frank in publication) and if she really wants to get into this subject and truly be moved by it, she has a lot to study up on, people to interview, articles to read, before she should be touting a memorial and telling everyone to light a candle, while she tries to be a goody goody girl. She probably never has done this in the past and may never do so in the future. It is yet another fad to check off on one of her numerous lists to feel better about herself. Now go talk to someone who actually spent time in a concentration camp, someone who lost their entire family, their entire village, who suffered starvation and emotional numbness from seeing people shot to death daily, the smell of burning bodies from the crematoriums. Those dark truths and horrors that Ruby is too immature and sheltered from to acknowledge on Holocaust Memorial Day. If you are going to honor said memorial, do it whole-heartedly.

Griftwood
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by Griftwood »

Cyberbully wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:30 pm
Forgot to mention this, but a bunch of people were talking about how "we shouldn't remember them through an ad" - all I'm asking is how many would even know/be aware/remember that it was Holocaust Memorial Day yesterday if it wasn't for her ad? Is it ethical of her to do a paid ad on it, ehhh... but if she's reinvesting it... and the reason she didn't say anything at first (about reinvesting the money) is because she doesn't want to mention every time she does charity, which I can actually appreciate since influencers on social media love to push that down our throats. :)

If you actually see/know Ruby from her videos, you know damn well she does not have ill intentions. I've followed her since 2017, and she is a lot of things and there is a lot of things she can become better at - but one thing she doesn't have is ill intentions and if you're an actual viewer you would know that.
I get what you’re saying, and I definitely agree that a lot of people might not have remembered had she not posted. However, there’s been a very good point made elsewhere that she gets away with a lot of shit precisely because she has the enormous privilege of people assuming her intentions are pure as the driven snow. The fact remains, she took money for the post and when she got backlash, she gave a dodgy reply and then later invented a vanity project where she will help ”underfunded state schools” (and can we just take a moment to reflect on how incredibly arrogant that sounds, especially since she never attended one herself) put up memorials with the ad money. Instead of donating the money directly to a charity that can put it to actual use in providing education.

My point being, she needs to learn from this experience (I like her and want to believe she will) and people need to keep calling out privilege regardless of perceived intentions. Would she have been afforded the same leniency if she wasn’t white, rich and cis-gendered?

Cyberbully
Learner
Learner

Post by Cyberbully »

Griftwood wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:52 am
Cyberbully wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:30 pm

I get what you’re saying, and I definitely agree that a lot of people might not have remembered had she not posted. However, there’s been a very good point made elsewhere that she gets away with a lot of shit precisely because she has the enormous privilege of people assuming her intentions are pure as the driven snow. The fact remains, she took money for the post and when she got backlash, she gave a dodgy reply and then later invented a vanity project where she will help ”underfunded state schools” (and can we just take a moment to reflect on how incredibly arrogant that sounds, especially since she never attended one herself) put up memorials with the ad money. Instead of donating the money directly to a charity that can put it to actual use in providing education.

My point being, she needs to learn from this experience (I like her and want to believe she will) and people need to keep calling out privilege regardless of perceived intentions. Would she have been afforded the same leniency if she wasn’t white, rich and cis-gendered?
You're making a lot of good points. I totally see what you mean by her getting away with a lot of stuff because she's a white privileged rich girl, but to make it sound like she's this greedy ass person. I don't know. I am glad that people remember to stay critical of her no matter how kind she is, and yes that apology she quickly made in her story was half-assed.

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

Her video "A Day in the Life of a Bookworm", um, not really. lol

Let's break it down, shall we?

If you are going to wear linen, please take the time and energy to actually iron it. There isn't anything pretty about a wrinkled outfit.

I was wondering how long it would take for her to start playing Secret Garden, now that she has read it. She is so predictable, it is ridiculous. Between that book and Oliver Twist, now she sees eating porridge as romantic. More please? Try going to a homeless shelter, a soup kitchen, as well as 3rd world countries and see how romantic starvation is.

Will she ever put nail polish on nicely? Always chipped or gobbed on, as though the polish is already thick and a decade old.

The ballet outfit and how she pairs her clothes with her glasses. lmao

All in all, there was very little reading or studying going on. This was not the life of a Bookworm. This was Ruby being Ruby. Play acting. Being a child at almost age 21. I'll look elsewhere for actually literary addicts that allow books to consume their lives and don't need to pretend they are the characters or try dressing up like them. She'll be on the Secret Garden kick until the next newly loved character comes along that she relates to. Note that they are all kids, no adult characters.

:roll:

noodlehead1
Learner
Learner

Ruby Granger - Part 4

Post by noodlehead1 »

Sorry but that wasn’t a realistic ‘day in the life of a bookworm’ that was just Ruby reading all day. If you really want to watch the day in the life of a book worm, search ‘reading vlog’ and watch some of those.

I feel like she’s currently obsessing over reading, and making bookish content now that there’s less studying to do but I think she believes to earn the title ‘bookworm’ that she has to read all day and read 19 books a month when that’s not really how it is. It seems that she’s in it more for the aesthetic rather than the love of reading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:love2: :love2:

Shiv
Talker
Talker

Post by Shiv »

I wish I could get past her obnoxiously-posh voice. :|

SugarSweet
Stalker
Stalker

Post by SugarSweet »

Am I the only one who cringed with the:
Please Sir - can I have more?
You can hear this comment in way way way way different content...

I dont know when I start watching Ruby. Maybe two years ago. Firstly I found her unique but more in a cranky, quirky, clumsy way.
Yes she is different but we cant all be the same. And there are people in their 30s reading YA.
But watching more and more videos of her..Its not that I am annoyed. I think she is very immature.

Its sad b/c her channel could have so much possibilities. She could talk so much more about books and give reviews, talks about indie books and poetry, she could do interesting college vlogs, a good way to learn and to study but in the End..its all the same. Its the same routine.
its not only childish it is more over the top.
You dont have to study 10 hours. 5 it is enough when you do it smart.
You dont need to write a 2k essay. 1k is enough when it is done smart and meets the needs of the tutor.

I think she lives very social excluded and her parents supports her need of attention and her need of treated like a child.
Their could have been a chance to show how to cook / what to cook as as student. Instead overcharged vegan products. Not that vegan is wrong but how she is doing. Over the top, not smart.
There is something wrong with her and normally I wouldnt say anything bout that bout for me - I cant really grasp it.

Even now with the Covid Situation. Talking bout it. Talking bout the college situation. Reflect. Connect with your Viewer. Instead: Be productive.
But Ruby - dont you that Capitalism is not working in Covid?
Nope. She is dancing outside and didnt visited a store in 5 month.

And when I see her reaction bout her grades.
I think sometimes she is 15 and still in High School. And yeah. Thats okay but on the other hand...I think she is the victim of her own ideology. She cant help herself and her parents wont do that either.

blmrqslm
Learner
Learner

Post by blmrqslm »

Yeah, I can see how Ruby is a case of so much wasted potential. It's sad.

ravenclaw333
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ravenclaw333 »

noodlehead1 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:38 am
I see a lot on here about Ruby being almost 21 but still reading YA books. I watch a lot in the booktube community, and A LOT of adults still read YA, there’s a lot of value that can come out of them. I’m 23 and still read mainly YA (although I do read a lot more adult than I did a few years back) the thing I do find strange is how many actual children’s books she reads. With exceptions of some middle grades I really don’t see what an adult can get out of a children’s book, including any kind of entertainment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
because some people simply enjoy middle grade fiction...?

noodlehead1
Learner
Learner

Post by noodlehead1 »

ravenclaw333 wrote:
noodlehead1 wrote:
I see a lot on here about Ruby being almost 21 but still reading YA books. I watch a lot in the booktube community, and A LOT of adults still read YA, there’s a lot of value that can come out of them. I’m 23 and still read mainly YA (although I do read a lot more adult than I did a few years back) the thing I do find strange is how many actual children’s books she reads. With exceptions of some middle grades I really don’t see what an adult can get out of a children’s book, including any kind of entertainment?

There is a difference between MG and children’s books.

:love2: :love2:

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

There isn't anything wrong with reading children's books, middle school or young adult literature, overall. It can be fun, entertaining and a comfort read. The problem is that whenever she gets free reading time, she immediately runs to the same children's books, over and over again, during a time where, as an English student and English major, who plans on some kind of career in the field, she should be concentrating on widening her reading material, challenging herself and getting some pretty awesome books behind her belt. As someone who has her degree in English Lit and works in the field, we are expected to have read widely and thoroughly, going from Anglo-Saxon works, through the centuries, into modern day fiction, have a solid knowledge and complete reading of Shakespeare, the Romantics, modern poetry, Victorians, Edwardians, French Lit, Russian Lit, WW and Post WW memoirs, sci-fi and high fantasy and so forth. If someone mentions a character from a Dickens novel, she ought to know them inside out. Same with Hardy, Eliot, Gaskell, etc.. Alongside this she should be reading biographical tomes of these authors. Great, she knows A little Princess by heart, or should by now, but can she intellectually discuss the social issues in Middlemarch or which characters in Dickens's novels were based on real people in his life? Can she write a paper, without doing any research, on the Bronte sisters and how their own lives were reflected in their works? What was fact, what was fiction? The list is endless. No, she can't. Because she isn't spending her time being a bookworm, a bibliophile, or as a dedicated English Lit student, like she claims to be. She is too busy playing at little girl and dress up as characters while the real devoted English student eat, sleeps and breathes literature. We absorb it like a sponge and spew it out at will. That is what she should be concentrating on right now. Not another reread of Coraline or striking a Matilda power pose or prancing around her backyard in awe of nature because she wants to play A Secret Garden now. :roll:

ravenclaw333
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ravenclaw333 »

WatchandWonder wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:33 pm
There isn't anything wrong with reading children's books, middle school or young adult literature, overall. It can be fun, entertaining and a comfort read. The problem is that whenever she gets free reading time, she immediately runs to the same children's books, over and over again, during a time where, as an English student and English major, who plans on some kind of career in the field, she should be concentrating on widening her reading material, challenging herself and getting some pretty awesome books behind her belt. As someone who has her degree in English Lit and works in the field, we are expected to have read widely and thoroughly, going from Anglo-Saxon works, through the centuries, into modern day fiction, have a solid knowledge and complete reading of Shakespeare, the Romantics, modern poetry, Victorians, Edwardians, French Lit, Russian Lit, WW and Post WW memoirs, sci-fi and high fantasy and so forth. If someone mentions a character from a Dickens novel, she ought to know them inside out. Same with Hardy, Eliot, Gaskell, etc.. Alongside this she should be reading biographical tomes of these authors. Great, she knows A little Princess by heart, or should by now, but can she intellectually discuss the social issues in Middlemarch or which characters in Dickens's novels were based on real people in his life? Can she write a paper, without doing any research, on the Bronte sisters and how their own lives were reflected in their works? What was fact, what was fiction? The list is endless. No, she can't. Because she isn't spending her time being a bookworm, a bibliophile, or as a dedicated English Lit student, like she claims to be. She is too busy playing at little girl and dress up as characters while the real devoted English student eat, sleeps and breathes literature. We absorb it like a sponge and spew it out at will. That is what she should be concentrating on right now. Not another reread of Coraline or striking a Matilda power pose or prancing around her backyard in awe of nature because she wants to play A Secret Garden now. :roll:
you sound like you'd be fun at parties... tbh i have friends who studied english lit at uni and read like a fraction of what she reads a year and did fine and are now working.. plus there are children's literature modules/children's publishing jobs so maybe she wants to go into that? i dont really know tbh as i dont watch her that often but i know she reads over 100 books a year and a lot of them are still very much academic. so what if she reads a lot of children's fiction? didnt she write a children's book? i'd like to write a children's book someday so i like reading children's books to learn how to better write them. people are so damn judgey lmao

ladyboobridgewater
Learner
Learner

Post by ladyboobridgewater »

noodlehead1 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:13 am
ravenclaw333 wrote:
noodlehead1 wrote:

There is a difference between MG and children’s books.

'middle grade' people are children. Their books are childrens' books. Not saying adults can't read and enjoy them, read whatever makes you happy, but if you read middle grade you read children's books.

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

ravenclaw333 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:57 pm
WatchandWonder wrote:
you sound like you'd be fun at parties... tbh i have friends who studied english lit at uni and read like a fraction of what she reads a year and did fine and are now working.. plus there are children's literature modules/children's publishing jobs so maybe she wants to go into that? i dont really know tbh as i dont watch her that often but i know she reads over 100 books a year and a lot of them are still very much academic. so what if she reads a lot of children's fiction? didnt she write a children's book? i'd like to write a children's book someday so i like reading children's books to learn how to better write them. people are so damn judgey lmao
I am, thanks! Though we have a tendency to call them social gatherings. My "partying" days are long since over. When family and friends gather we discuss literature, art, travel, fine dining, movies, etc.. So there you have it. Don't worry...we won't invite you as it sounds like you would be bored! Did she write a children's book? Yes, and it was quite a flop. Anyone can write a book these days and have it published at their own cost. That doesn't make them a real author and it certainly doesn't make them a good author! Wise up, please! Reading isn't about quantity. It is about quality and what you absorb from said reading. Shortly Ruby will be going out into the working world. If she wants a professional place in her major, without Mommy and Daddy pulling strings, she is going to have to earn it, and seeing how widely read you are and what you have read, what work you have done, what jobs you have held, what societies you have been a part of, namely your resume, is going to reflect on your ability to perform well. Dressing up as Alice Through the Looking Glass and posting it on IG isn't going to get you the job! Not even a career in children's literature. Has she taken any child psychology classes? Does she have any teaching experience with kids? To write excellent books for children you need to have a sound knowledge of how their brains work and how they perceive the world. I also have not seen her study the original, dark fairytales which are the predecessors of children's books. If she is really serious about her future, these are the things she should be focusing on. Not reading the same kid's books over and over again and then playing dress up! She is going backwards, not forwards.

ravenclaw333
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ravenclaw333 »

WatchandWonder wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:56 am
ravenclaw333 wrote:
WatchandWonder wrote:
I am, thanks! Though we have a tendency to call them social gatherings. My "partying" days are long since over. When family and friends gather we discuss literature, art, travel, fine dining, movies, etc.. So there you have it. Don't worry...we won't invite you as it sounds like you would be bored! Did she write a children's book? Yes, and it was quite a flop. Anyone can write a book these days and have it published at their own cost. That doesn't make them a real author and it certainly doesn't make them a good author! Wise up, please! Reading isn't about quantity. It is about quality and what you absorb from said reading. Shortly Ruby will be going out into the working world. If she wants a professional place in her major, without Mommy and Daddy pulling strings, she is going to have to earn it, and seeing how widely read you are and what you have read, what work you have done, what jobs you have held, what societies you have been a part of, namely your resume, is going to reflect on your ability to perform well. Dressing up as Alice Through the Looking Glass and posting it on IG isn't going to get you the job! Not even a career in children's literature. Has she taken any child psychology classes? Does she have any teaching experience with kids? To write excellent books for children you need to have a sound knowledge of how their brains work and how they perceive the world. I also have not seen her study the original, dark fairytales which are the predecessors of children's books. If she is really serious about her future, these are the things she should be focusing on. Not reading the same kid's books over and over again and then playing dress up! She is going backwards, not forwards.
that sounds riveting, so sad to be missing out on your pretentious social gatherings :( if you're so concerned about Ruby's future why don't you message her yourself with these suggestions and become her personal assistant with her uni work, improving her cv, etc. as it seems to be keeping you up at night. although she doesn't seem to be doing too badly in life tbh so I wouldn't worry
i don't think posting on IG is going to get you any job tbh as that's generally not how job applications work
and i don't need you to tell me to 'wise up' lol I'm not saying she needs to become a best-selling author with a first class degree, it's just funny how much what she is doing with her life affects people like you... go and enjoy your Jane Austen and your Dickens but don't go telling other people what they should and should not be doing, haven't watched her in a while but from what i remember, she gets pretty high grades anyway. also, how can you say she can't write a paper on Bronte sisters without any research? how would you actually know this? what someone puts online is not the full picture so it's unfair for you to judge her like this. i'm not even her biggest fan but people spewing their judgement and negativity like this and dictating what people should do with their lives are the worst kind of people. you're not even the one paying her tuition fees so why do you care so much? let people enjoy life and do what they want :)

Shiv
Talker
Talker

Post by Shiv »

Is this related to your name being from a kid's book, at all?

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

ravenclaw333 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:43 am
WatchandWonder wrote:
ravenclaw333 wrote:
WatchandWonder wrote:
that sounds riveting, so sad to be missing out on your pretentious social gatherings :( if you're so concerned about Ruby's future why don't you message her yourself with these suggestions and become her personal assistant with her uni work, improving her cv, etc. as it seems to be keeping you up at night. although she doesn't seem to be doing too badly in life tbh so I wouldn't worry
i don't think posting on IG is going to get you any job tbh as that's generally not how job applications work
and i don't need you to tell me to 'wise up' lol I'm not saying she needs to become a best-selling author with a first class degree, it's just funny how much what she is doing with her life affects people like you... go and enjoy your Jane Austen and your Dickens but don't go telling other people what they should and should not be doing, haven't watched her in a while but from what i remember, she gets pretty high grades anyway. also, how can you say she can't write a paper on Bronte sisters without any research? how would you actually know this? what someone puts online is not the full picture so it's unfair for you to judge her like this. i'm not even her biggest fan but people spewing their judgement and negativity like this and dictating what people should do with their lives are the worst kind of people. you're not even the one paying her tuition fees so why do you care so much? let people enjoy life and do what they want :)
Maybe you are in the wrong place, dear. We critique people's channels here and if we see something we don't like or question it, we will voice it. As for being Ruby's personal assistant, I already have a job, thank you. I don't need to babysit some childish woman across the pond! Let's just get on with topics on Ruby, shall we, as she is the topic subject and not us? Attacking fellow posters is against forum rules.

Cyberbully
Learner
Learner

Post by Cyberbully »

ravenclaw333 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:43 am
WatchandWonder wrote:
ravenclaw333 wrote:
WatchandWonder wrote:
I'm sorry, but do you even know what the point of this site is? Guru gossip is not the place for raving about youtubers, there are websites for that so if that's what you're in the mood for, I suggest you check there. I don't know, it seems a bit pointless to shade people here for gossiping when that's the whole point.

NyxIsis
Informer
Informer

Post by NyxIsis »

I don't know much about YA fiction but from my previous job in a library, I remember on training days the boss did show us how to separate young adult/teenage fiction into its own set of shelves, with the orange sticker on each title and said there is a large market for adults who do like these teenage/young adult books so we keep them in their own section but people above the age group do read them and like them.

Return to “Ruby Granger”