Theresa Is Dead

girlwegointoislam
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Theresa Is Dead

Post by girlwegointoislam »

Theresa is not funny...Like I don't get why people view her as this funny ass woman. She rubs me the wrong way and whenever she comes up in my recommended it's her jeffrat * product reviews. This is especially annoying me because it only happens when I decide to try to sit through a smokey lips fat hips video...

Speaking of Lacy...isn't she all about making a statement with your money? Why is she friends with this boring heifer who is always buying from a known douche bag??

zzzzzzz
Learner
Learner

Re: Theresa Is Dead

Post by zzzzzzz »

I agree completely. She has never made me laugh. I suppose she gets a pass on everything because she is a heart attack waiting to happen.

backdoorteenmom
Learner
Learner

Post by backdoorteenmom »

Theresa needs some serious dental work.....lol

And her office stories are so fake it kills but she’s such a *~* garbage*~* person she’s hilarious!!! ReLaTaBlE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

i did like her declutter videos.. as well as the one today where she was shocked over the pigment and payoff with the little mini elf palette.
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

cvkepxp
Lurker
Lurker

Post by cvkepxp »

Okay, I think it's about time I bite the bullet and revive this thread.

Theresa is still one of my favorite channels despite my grievances with her, but holy crap have I been getting annoyed with her as of late. Once she started associating with Smokey Glow and the rest of that sanctimonious "anti-consumerism" consumer squad, she went from a makeup enthusiast with a spending problem to a makeup enthusiast with a spending problem and a hypocritical superiority complex.

Decluttering every now and then just to replace those old things you don't use with new ones you won't use doesn't make you a smart consumer, Theresa. Choosing to drop hundreds on indie brands' makeup instead of mainstream brands' makeup doesn't make you a smart consumer, Theresa.
Selecting only a few new releases to pick up every week instead of buying all of them doesn't make you a smart consumer, Theresa. Getting hammered and recklessly spending your money doesn't make you a smart consumer, Theresa.

She spews the same bullshit all the other "not like the other gurus" channels do every time she talks about new releases. "I don't need this palette because I have a million shades like this is my huge ass collection, therefore you do not need this palette either." "I don't think anyone should buy this thing because I don't like it." "Nobody asked for this so it's dumb and unnecessary product." "Buy those same shades from this indie brand I like instead." "I'm not buying this but you can if you want I guess." Literally none of that is insightful in any way, but these people still think they're God's gift to the beauty community lmao.

Speaking of shades in palettes, I'm still trying to figure out how warped her idea of what a "pop of color" is. She called that new Lunar Beauty palette a neutral palette with a pop of blue. Are several shades of blue considered a "pop" now? Am I just too young to understand how her 35 year old brain works?

Because she loooves to remind us of her age in every video now for some reason. Is that her new running gag now that she's run alien slut, uncooked chicken, and makeup dick into the ground? I really don't get why she's trying to make her age into a joke. It's not like she wasn't into those things before her birthday.
The horses are dead, Theresa, stop beating them. Find some new material.

I think it's really cool that she's going to give all of the money her channel makes to her friend for her treatments, but the fact that she left somewhere for her viewers to donate kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The world is in the middle of a pandemic. Even if it's not something she requested they do, even just leaving a link knowing so many people are tight on money and that there are people who will feel enough pity to actually donate while she still buys herself expensive makeup is just... kind of slimy. :?

And now for my petty complaints.
1. I think she's funny enough naturally. All the "~quirky~" edits and voices she does makes her seem like she's trying to be hip with the kids but the kids she's trying to be hip with haven't been cool in 50 years and are using walkers now. Also, sometimes laughing at one's own joke is charming, but she does it all the time as if every word coming out of her mouth is comedy gold.
2. I couldn't help but laugh when she called SG smart in the collab-that-isn't-actually-a-real-collab they did. If having opinions formed from statements made by the general public and jumping on bandwagons without properly researching anything makes someone smart, I'd hate to see what she considers the opposite. (Disclaimer: I don't think SG is stupid, but I wouldn't call someone so uninformed smart.)
3. Sis needs to invest in some good body care or go see a dermatologist for all that redness. And cut down on all the drinking she does, too, since apparently that contributes. But I guess less alcohol would mean one less excuse for mindlessly shopping.

/rant over

Muriel Bananafish
Debater
Debater

Post by Muriel Bananafish »

Yeah, this one isn't easy for me, but I gotta jump in too.

I used to LOVE Theresa. That has been downgraded to: I like her most of the time. I do think she's naturally witty, I appreciate that she's not trying to make YouTube her career, and her husband actually cracks me up, whereas usually I don't want to see the boyfriends/spouses/children/mothers (I'll gladly look at your pets, though).

But. Watching someone get increasingly shit-faced on video and start slurring her words isn't fun for me. All the alien-slut-bukkake-jizz-on-my-hard-makeup-dick stuff gets tiresome. (Theresa strikes me as the type of woman who has felt the need her entire life to be The Funny One. And that meant saying stuff that made people gasp, being as vulgar as possible, and Definitely Not Caring what anyone thought.) And I much prefer her when she's not performing her shtick, turning every remark up to 100. I want useful makeup content, not a stand-up routine.

I also can't stand most of the women in The Clique: Smokey Lips and Spooky Glow (lol), that self-important Abby woman, Drama Kid Who Graduated Nisipisa, Angelica and her performative quirkiness, Michele "even my tears are made of money" Wang, Cate the Great Smug Asshole, etc. And Theresa's association with all of them bugs the hell out of me.

WillowWisp
Learner
Learner

Post by WillowWisp »

The whole "alien slut cum on my face" thing kind of reminds me of late 2000's internet humour where being funny just meant being as offensive as possible. I sound like a prude for saying it's crude and unfunny, but she's perfectly capable of being funny without repeating the same shock-value joke several times per video.

Also, dear god the amount of stuff she collects. She posed a video of things viewers had sent her and it was over an hours of cups and stickers and plastic trinkets. Either she declutters a lot or her apartment must be very claustrophobic. I'm just an armchair psychologist so I could be wrong, but I put her in the category of makeup youtubers who potentially have a shopping problem. Which she does say herself jokingly, but it is something that ruins people's lives so I hope it is just a joke and she's in control of herself.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

Yes Im with you all. Teresa is like that friend I can only tolerate in small doses. I really like her but she always wants me to go out and trashed with her, whereupon she gets wasted after two drinks and I end up staying sober to make sure she doesn't end up getting raped and left in a gutter.

I like her when she's focused on products. So I will seek out her reviews of specific things- I do value her opinion and think she has good taste. But I'd get annoyed if you made me watch three videos in a row. I still think she's funny though. The way she describes things cracks me up. But again I feel like this comes out the best when she is focusing on something in particular rather than just spouting off about alien jizz.
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

dubstepford wife
Talker
Talker

Post by dubstepford wife »

It took me a while to form my opinion on her. She can sometimes be funny, and I think her humor has improved now that she's not wasting 10 minutes every video telling some random story. We get it, Theresa, people in NYC are quirky.

But yeah, I fall into the "trash" rather than "rave" section of this forum. For me the biggest problem with her is the absolute incessant consumerism -- holy crap, this woman buys literally every single eyeshadow palette that is released, from indie to mainstream (except for ones from J* because he's persona non grata). And then she does declutters where she gets rid of 75% of these same palettes. Lather, rinse, repeat, over and over again, generating so much waste, and spending thousands of dollars in the process. And you can't hide behind "but she's a beauty guru, she does reviews for a living!"...there are tons of beauty gurus on YT who don't feel the need to buy literally every release.

I also get tired of the "Teehee, I'm so funny because I'm a drunk 35 year old woman who cusses a lot and whose life is going downhill" schtick. It just feeds into this idea that your life ends in your 30s. I'm only a little younger than she is and I feel exactly how I did when I was 24, because I actually take care of myself and am not drinking myself into an early grave. But she thinks being sloppy and crass makes her relatable, I guess.

soul reaper
Informer
Informer

Post by soul reaper »

Did she seriously make a joke out of crippling depression in her Best Makeup of 2020 video? Anyone else catch that? Just because 2020 was a dumpster fire of a year doesn't mean you can turn a serious mental illness into makeup comedy. Even gallows humor is not an excuse. You don't broadcast that shit on YouTube. As someone who battles depression and other mental health issues every day, and has actually suffered from that level of depression, it makes me rage. I get that Theresa is all about garbage humor (and it can be pretty hilarious if you step back from all the extraterrestrial bodily fluids) but this is a new low, even for her.

imstylistic
Lurker
Lurker

Post by imstylistic »

She desperately needs help for her food, drinking, and shopping addictions.

panda_protector
Lurker
Lurker

Post by panda_protector »

Honestly, at this point I'm starting to suspect her displays of excessive drinking are an attempt to downplay her shopping addiction. Like "haha look at me I'm drunk again, whoops I bought a ton of crap, again." What she's doing isn't healthy but I definitely think it's more of a shopping addiction and not a serious substance abuse problem, per se. I'm more disgusted at her audience for egging her on YAAAS QUEEN KEEP SIPPING! PAD THAT FATTY LIVER!

I do feel it's cringeworthy to spend as much as she does and not even USE the vast majority of what she purchases. Again I think her 'drunk Theresa' thing might play into that. She can sort of rationalize not even using this mountain of crap she bought with "I never used this, but I only bought it in the first place because i WaS dRuNk haha." Scapegoating alcohol for her decisions, basically.

cafeaulait
Learner
Learner

Post by cafeaulait »

panda_protector wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:53 pm
Honestly, at this point I'm starting to suspect her displays of excessive drinking are an attempt to downplay her shopping addiction. Like "haha look at me I'm drunk again, whoops I bought a ton of crap, again." What she's doing isn't healthy but I definitely think it's more of a shopping addiction and not a serious substance abuse problem, per se. I'm more disgusted at her audience for egging her on YAAAS QUEEN KEEP SIPPING! PAD THAT FATTY LIVER!

I do feel it's cringeworthy to spend as much as she does and not even USE the vast majority of what she purchases. Again I think her 'drunk Theresa' thing might play into that. She can sort of rationalize not even using this mountain of crap she bought with "I never used this, but I only bought it in the first place because i WaS dRuNk haha." Scapegoating alcohol for her decisions, basically.
Yup. I used to enjoy watching her, but the constant overconsumption - material goods and alcohol - is veering into a territory I'm uncomfortable with. We're all coping with pandemic stress in various ways, some of them less healthy than others, but the sheer amount of "oh whoops I got drunk and went on a shopping spree" juxtaposed with "my student loans" is not a good look, especially for somebody in their mid-30s (as she loves to point out). It's unhealthy and normalizes some really problematic behaviour that should not be normalized.

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

I think she’s just in the trap of newbie blogger with a day job where you buy things because of your channel. Her videos aren’t topics so much as product vids, with this concept you have to keep buying. She asks "do y’all want a video on this, press 2." I can sort of give it a pass because she clearly has a full-time plus overtime day job. She isn’t a full-time YouTuber with nothing to do all day except think of topics. So she just buys stuff and every item is a video,

frigobar
Learner
Learner

Post by frigobar »

I love Theresa and I was actually a bit surprised she already has a thread here lol but I can see how she isn't for everyone. I myself have skipped her last uploads because they were basically unboxings and I cannot understand for the life of me what's fun about watching someone else simply open new things. There's no opinions, no first impressions, nothing.
I also catch myself getting concerned about her spending habits from time to time because it's getting a bit too much... It's not just her, though. I feel like these small to medium channels are getting ahead of themselves by trying to keep up with all the launches. Those "Will I buy it?", "Buy or Pass" videos and so on feel so dystopian to me.

hcburbs
Debater
Debater
Been thanked: 0

Post by hcburbs »

Holy crap the editing and beeps on today’s video were insane. Usually I find her funny but this was self indulgent bullshit- clearly she could have edited all of that.

hcburbs
Debater
Debater
Been thanked: 0

Post by hcburbs »

cafeaulait wrote:
> Yup. I used to enjoy watching her, but the constant overconsumption -
> material goods and alcohol - is veering into a territory I'm uncomfortable
> with. We're all coping with pandemic stress in various ways, some of them
> less healthy than others, but the sheer amount of "oh whoops I got
> drunk and went on a shopping spree" juxtaposed with "my student
> loans" is not a good look, especially for somebody in their mid-30s
> (as she loves to point out). It's unhealthy and normalizes some really
> problematic behaviour that should not be normalized.

The drinking is nagl. I swear these people think alcohol is a personality trait.

soul reaper
Informer
Informer

Post by soul reaper »

frigobar wrote:
> I love Theresa and I was actually a bit surprised she already has a thread
> here lol but I can see how she isn't for everyone. [respectfully snipped] I
> feel like these small to medium channels are getting ahead of themselves by
> trying to keep up with all the launches. Those "Will I buy it?",
> "Buy or Pass" videos and so on feel so dystopian to me.

I pretty much have the same opinion. The thing is, it seems that she buys all this stuff she's lukewarm about just to review it instead of buying what she really wants, fuck the rest. Every time she wastes her money on some bullshit thing that she's 9.9/10 not going to like I have to facepalm. Another thing: all of us get stuff the moment it releases here and there. Sometimes it's because we need it (like skincare), and sometimes because we just want it that badly and can afford it, but ages ago even she admitted that she feels the pressure to be the first to review things when they come out. She can save a LOT of money by waiting for the company or another site that carries whatever it is to have a sale, and I don't mean that stupid Sephora sale either.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by DrowningInMelancholy »

This is petty but I hate how she calls certain palettes "neutral with a pop of blue" like the new Natasha Denona Zendo palette.

Another gripe I have with her is when she talks about "at least I didn't pay full price for that". Most of the time these smaller influencers get hundreds of dollars of PR. For example, I'm super interested in trying Kaleidos Cosmetics since a lot of these indie influencers rave about the brand, but what they don't tell you since more of the shit they get is free are the hefty shipping, complaints about products being sold out, no tracking etc.

StockyBarbie_Doll
Learner
Learner

Post by StockyBarbie_Doll »

as a majority I sincerely have liked her overall, until as of late. the review channel part of the beauty community is so incredibly toxic/problematic. the other reasons I have fallen off being a true fan if hers is using severe mental health issues as a personality trait, justifying massive amounts of consumerism via alcohol abuse, and perpetuating the idea that when you hit your mid thirties you are old/disposable/worthless. I am the same age as Theresa, I do not ever speak that way about myself. do I feel like society as a whole TELLS me this a lot? Yes. but i will be damned if I made a YouTube channel and invested thousands of dollars a year into it and then spoke about myself and the women of my generation like that. I cannot imagine the amount of self induced pressure she has put on herself ironically by starting her channel. in the beginning I felt like she was genuine and was doing what she wanted, not stressing on what to upload and will people watch it until she had her growth online. her vulgarity and self deprecation is really getting to be too much too. its tough because I wanted to see someone like her/like me be able to "make it" on YouTube and not let it change who you are or mess up your life. maybe that just isn't possible? do y'all know of anyone who you could say that has actually happened to? also the level of defensiveness her and her cohorts have when people comment on the obvious juxtaposition of their mass consumerism and their anti capitalism stance is very telling. I want to see her get back to what she once was, im rooting for her-- but where we are now is really not good.

Return to “P-T”