EmptyVessel wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:25 pm
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:15 am
EmptyVessel wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:42 am
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:22 pm
Thank you, loves! Both of your commentary on her really helped snap me out of my "Poor Hannah plant! She can't help that she is how she is!"- not that I was ever *that* bad, but I was close enough- mindset.
I feel like the only people who watch her consistently and worship/stan her at this point are rich/middle class white ladies who are in a similar predicament to her financially- in that, they have no genuine issues- and *want* to be her in her "quirky I'm-a-tango-clothier-who-just-happens-to-have-a-graduate-degree-in-poetry-I'm-not-like-other-girls" vibe. Or, I guess there could be suckers like me who, even in a desolate situation, bought what she was selling hook, line, and sinker.
One of her most major followers, who's Insta she shouted out recently, was posting about how Hannah has revolutionized her spending habits and posted a Jeffree Star concealer by saying "I know people get in their fEElinGS about Jeffree Star, but he makes a good concealer." or something like that. Hannah has to realize that that's the behavior she's enabling, even if she hasn't financially foot the bill for J*.
I feel like she fancies herself "She walks in beauty.."
but it's honestly more like "She reeks of privilege.."
Hannah "Reeks of Privilege" Moochise Poston. xD
god, I'm a salt mountain right now. >.<
Hannah built her channel on being relatable for the many women (even worldwide) who lean towards shopping to lift their spirits, and for whom this is an issue, because they fritter money away instead of saving for things that would really enhance their lives, or at worst, rack up debt in the process. It's a very current topic, up there with comfort eating and to some extent, alcohol abuse. Added to that she seemed ambitious, entrepreneurial, capable and conscious. This started to gather a little crowd. Here was someone successfully doing what many other women were trying to do, or wishing they could. I mean, surviving in an expensive city, renting premises as well as a pretty cool flat, managing her wardrobe choices around sales, vintage shops and smart decisions, getting a grip on her gratuitous spending, making rules for herself and sticking to them, building a writing career, establishing a small clothing label... 'We were there for it.' Someone was running the gauntlet and not getting knocked off their horse.

How...ev...er... The gaps in this story soon started to become obvious to anyone watching over time. I watched a couple of videos towards the end of her no-buy and then more in the budget year. I quickly noticed a change in her behaviour and attitude that year. She used to interact with her comments thread, for example, but then that gradually fizzled and became very selective in favour of those who fawned over her. This was sus. Moreover, I expected her to move on from the endless declutters and swatching vids to something more interesting and original, like vlogs, something about her work, or about tango, or about writing, cooking, anything. I couldn't work out how she could possibly be satisfied with rinse-repeat uploads. Moreover, for the kind of videos she does, there are some really talented people out there who are better qualified to review products, and who do interesting make-up looks. HLP can't even make interesting make-up interesting. Coming up to Christmas of the budget year, she was churning out the vids on a daily basis and they were a load of shite. An insult tbh. It wasn't long before she informs her viewers that Adsense pays out more at the time of year. I absolutely wouldn't look to HLP for make-up reviews or make-up tips. If anyone ever employed her in this capacity, it would be a travesty. The cards she had to play in this game are the conscious consumer card, and things like her writing, needlework, cooking, and experience of LA. Otherwsie, she needn't bother, as far as I'm concerned.

Once one doubt started to sprout, others followed. How could she have so much money with a small niche business? How come she has so much time to make videos? Why does she plead poverty and ask for handouts? Why does she ignore some people's comments and not others? How does she manage to get through so many products? Why does everything have to have snob value? Why doesn't her boyfriend contribute to their finances? Why does she buy so much stuff, when she's supposed to be reducing her spending? Why was her 'project' for this year not a project at all, but just a counting game? Why was it built up to be something amazing and excitin, when it was a load of old cobblers?

So, all the people who thought she could relate to their issues, gradually realised that she did. not. in. fact. have. a. clue. Her hand-to-mouth existence didn't actually look remotely like theirs. Most people can't just move to LA and rent a flat and a studio and run a car on the back of a little Etsy shop and just one person's income (OK, so they have their own website now, but the style and products are the same). And then on top of that, she can afford to treat herself with hundreds of $ worth of treats every month. And then, even worse, the conscious consumer channel starts to become GOOP's poor relation. And then people start to see that they have been played and what was presented as authentic is actually someone's invented persona, and a completely different frame of reference anyway.

HLP made all kinds of implicit claims that were based on a flawed premise: our assumption that here was someone who was in a similar position to us, but managing better. The realisation that this was a lie is initially depressing, as we are forced to face the fact that there are no easy answers to shopping addiction. And that running a successful creative business is not quite so accessible for the majority of people. In the end, just like with alcohol abuse, hard and fast rules probably work best, and in the case of small businesses, you need some capital behind you and investors. It has never been Hannah on a wing and a prayer. Not really. After that, I think HLP just starts to grate, because not only is it complete BS that she's struggling financially, but also that she has a grip on her spending. Moreover, she's toxic in herself: I mean, I found myself wanting to buy things after watching her videos! Moreover, I found myself gravitating towards the expensive brands she's constantly raving over. I had to make a conscious decision to look for cheaper alternatives for thngs like eyeshadow, blush (where it really doesn't matter that much).

The thing is not to beat yourself up about any of it: the shopping addiction, the attachment to HLP's channel, the ensuing irritation with HLP's channel, and so forth. HLP is a far more enabled person than most people ever will be and OK, she might be able to fool herself that she's got her finances under her control, because she gets sent free stuff and gets rid of things constantly to keep the numbers down, but we all know she's got a huge problem and is alone with it in her relationship. That's not an enviable position to be in. I think I prefer being me, even if that means genuine financial precarity and a shaky but honest attempt to try and manage my spending.

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I feel the same way. I fell down the rabbit hole, hard, for Hannah. It reminds me of the John Lennon song "God", where at the end, he sings, "I just believe in me. Yoko and me. And that's reality. The dream is over, what can I say?" It's not just Hannah. I feel so disenchanted, in general, with beauty YouTube, even the smaller channels. That hard dosage of reality has been so beneficial for my actual replacements only no-buy (which is what I want to turn the rest of my beauty behavior in general towards, anyway. xD Only buying what I really need, versus everything everyone says we must buy.), because if I kept burying my heads under the covers and letting my mental health downgrade, allowed my behavior to get even further out of control and manifest into my full detriment, I would be worse than Hannah, in my mind.

I wouldn't influence other people to want to mimic my behavior, because of the parasocial attachment- but I would have been such a hypocrite for trying to be more on an environmental minimalist, who talks about it quite frequently with those in my inner circle.

I don't envy her at all, but I'm currently in a position where I revile what she is, because the dream of what she and her community could have been is dead. The dream of any of any YouTuber or any community truly caring and trying to bring forward better behaviors that might help manifest a revolution to end all of our struggles. Most of the smaller ones are just fake woke, and it's becoming grating to everything I stand for, because in their bubbles- even if they try to say all of the right things- it loses its meaning when they aren't actually using their platform to do anything more than armchair activism. (Smokey Glow coopting the Spoon Theory for social justice fatigue *rolls eyes*- Hannah constantly bringing up how depressed she was after the last election, but never truly mentioning any marginalized groups when it comes to products, etc. It's SO disingenuous.)

I, too, found myself lusting after stuff she raved about! I don't even like neutrals often, and I fell so far into lust for that Gold palette, just because it was the one thing in her collection she actually used that I was able to see use on. ;-; I'm glad the bubble has popped, and I'm just going to use her as a different inspiration now: as what not to do! (Which I've subconsciously been doing for the better of the past year. xD) I was shocked she hasn't talked about her writing project, since she's apparently spending all of her days writing now. As you said, I would much rather watch her lifestyle content, because it sounds like that would at least be interesting instead of her swatching all of her eyeshadow palettes for the infinitieth time.

I just tried quoting for the first time! I hope it works and isn't a jumbled mess.
I get what you're saying. My make-up purchsing kickstarted after starting to watch beauty Youtube. I'm not saying that's such a bad thing - I've enjoyed the new creativity with colour and full-on glam. I still think there are a lot of YouTubers out there who are just passionate about make-up and fashion and not just selling their souls to promote brands that have chosen to prioritise this route to get ahead - itching to cite a couple of them here, but won't. We know who they are anyway, because they are all over social media like a rash, and not with tasteful, beautifully produced ads, but rather mouthy, self-serving individuals bulldozing YouTube with their greedy faces and questionable merchandise.

My take on it is: how long has a brand been in business? Do they have a physical shop=floor presence near you? If so, go and try the actual products and ask for a sales consultant to put them on you (not now, obviously, but under normal circumstances). For a full makeover, this could cost a small fee, but if that starts to get pricey, beware. I think there are some super-pricey make-overs like with Charlotte Tilbury, but you get a load of products in with that, so while I would question CT's pricing, having a makeover there could be OK, if you are into the products. Not my scene though, personally.

Neither would I EVER shell out all that money for Natasha Denona or Pat McGrath palettes. That's clearly OK for those for whom money's no object, but if you have to think about it, then there are plenty of alternatives for a fraction of the cost. I just don't want to put any more money in the pockets of these greedy, cynical people and their shareholders. They are laughing all the way to the bank. I trained as a beauty therapist at one point and worked on various beauty counters in dept. stores for a few years. I have a few bougie bits and pieces and I have tried quite a lot of brands, but I really don't want to be stupid and waste my money. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE beauty and make-up shopping, but it's a treat, or something I do when I run out of a product or find a gap in my collection. Then, I absolutely try and work in proportion to my income.

I totally get what you are saying about Hannah being like a deterrent. I don't see Hannah's name out there much - no recent publications. She doesn't seem to have a blog. She doesn't do any artwork. She doesn't make any outfits, other than tango clothes. Her name isn't on any research or academic forums. All the things she claims to be are a load of smoke and mirrors. She's no one we should aspire to. Time to cut her out of our lives completely. We'll wonder why we bothered with her in the first place.

I only buy vegan and cruelty free makeup. As a result, I have a list of questions I send brands before I will purchase from them unless they are Logical Harmony approved. It's made me so much more critical of makeup than I ever envisioned, from my baby self that was consumed by beauty YouTube. I'm so glad that brands that were only accessible online (like Sugarpill) are now available in store, so swatching is available- while making better purchases.
There are so many better indie brands that have quality products that cost far less than ND or PMG, which you are just buying for a name, a label.
A makeup artist name and label, but still. I watched HLP review the Patrick Ta brow wax yesterday and what her review amounted to was that it was soap brows but "silkier", much more luxurious and elegant/our usual HLP-isms. I use soap brows daily and spent 1$ on my bar of soap.
I can't wait until the day I'm not salty at her, but for now, having this as a home to laugh at all the cringeworthy things she does and call them out? Priceless. <3 I wonder if she'll pull a Samantha March and start self-publishing trash. xD (I'm not anti self-publishing, but SM's books- I've read an excerpt- were laughable for someone who consistently sings her praises.) As HLP talks about her consistently and has for a while, I wouldn't be shocked if that was one of the next steps.
Some of the most exciting brands are both vegan and cruelty free now, and are often not in the highest price bracket. However, there are other European brands that sell in China and therefore can't claim to be completely cruelty free (given Chinese laws). They state that they are working towards change by putting pressure on the Chinese government. This could be another way to go, but it has to be a very active collective stance, otherwise it's just capitalising on the Chinese market and making excuses. Meanwhile, Chinese companies could survive just with China's huge internal market, so the leverage of outsiders is questionable, especially given the expense of imported goods (are there really THAT many people buying Caudalie, Urban Decay and so on in China? I guess so). Personally, I am becoming more and more concerned with buying products made in the West, full stop, so its not just a case of losing the animal testing, but also ensuring jobs, better working conditions, better respect for the environment, better CSR, etc. and as you say, an indie brand that isn't owned by one of the giants. Everything has an impact, even the packaging, the platform it's purchased on, the carrier used... I seem to remember HLP being concerned with this not so long ago...

I think it was Urban Decay that started the pallettes craze wasn't it? It gives a brand so much more leverage to tempt people with: the whole vibe, colour story, convenience and value for money (in some cases). It has inspired more creativity and colour in make-up though. I prefer watching beauty YouTubers who explore possibilities and create actual looks, different looks. I never considered HLP to be one of those people. She just likes a certain style and despite her sea of amazing products, ends up looking more or less the same, every time. That's fine for her, but it gets up my nose that she fancies herself as a make-up artist. I think that's pretty much it: she gets up most people's noses with her snotty, self-absorbed, privileged snowflake persona.

I watched part of the Patrick Ta video yesterday, because I thought it was an interesting product She was so fumbly and awkward though and who told her that was a good brow look?? She just splays her brows out to F and fills nothing in. Maybe that works on some people with far darker skin, but she just ends up looking like a hormone imbalance. When she started the video, I thought this was her finished look and she had finally found some normality with Patrick Ta. Hell, no... She'll watch these videos through her fingers one day.

I fail to see how this product is any different from a budget range brow pomade. I have tried ordinary soap and it doesn't work well for me, personally, but the Benefit 24h brow setter is amazing and lasts forever. That is one thing I am willing to pay for. If I used hair gel anyway, I would probably try that. Hair waxes would probably be OK too. Those little brow kits do offer convenience though. I'm just amazed that she hasn't gone for this particular shopping opportunity earlier. She stuck with the soap and that's an anomaly in the Hannah universe.

Samantha March brings out my prey drive - she's got that wet, thin-skinned kind of vibe about her, poor cow. However, she's got enough poke in the engine to follow her dreams and get those books out there. I haven't a clue what they're like and I'm not drawn to read any of them. I know that this kind of person won't write anything of any interest to me, unless she had a major life interruption and then co-wrote a book about her experiences with a professional writer. However, she wrote the books, which is more than Hannah's done. I take the opposite view to you: Hannah COULD have written books about her shopping habits and striving to be an ethical consumer, but she didn't. When her channel was really growing, she could have sold a few copies, even just as a download. Knowing her, she would probably have done a Kickstarter anyway. The thing is she DIDN'T and I now believe it's beyond her capabilities. She describes herself as a 'poet' and an 'essayist'. In other words, short things. She has never ventured beyond that. She doesn't even have a written blog. Neither does Joe. The 'writer'. At least our Sam has had a go, whether we like her work or not! I think with Han, it's about whether the 'afflatus' is upon her, which is why nothing ever gets done (just found that word and it's right up her alley! As well as being a bit farty).

EmptyVessel
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hannah Louise Poston - Part 2

Post by EmptyVessel »

WORDSALAD wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:34 am
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:35 pm
mimexli wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:25 pm
This might be very "bitch eating crackers" of me, but during the Patrick Ta review (in case you didn't watch it) she wrote a list of questions that she would have if she were looking for a review. She read a question off her paper and goes "Oh! Interesting question!" Yes, I'm sure you thought it was interesting. You DID write it after all

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It's a very HLP mannerism, after all. Literally all I got from it is that it was a more luxurious application with the after effects of soap brows.
She could've condensed 40 minutes into 15, max, if she would have kept it concise while still being descriptive.

It just feels like she's talking just to hear herself without actually listening to the content she's giving her viewers.
This is Hannah in a nutshell. You have managed to summarise her channel and probably her whole personality tbh in two sentences - something she apparently wouldn't be able to do.

I'm sure someone has said this before, maybe even me - but for such an accomplished writer and poet, brevity is not the soul of her wit(lessness).

As someone who has just got myself an agent after many months of trying, with ten years of professional journalism and academic writing under my belt, I will shit an expletive brick if she's blagged herself a lucrative book deal off the back of wordsalading naive young anti-consumerism optimists for three years.

But it would all be very Anorexia Dung, and very representative of today's publishing industry. So it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hopefully though she's just gonna do a March style (self)published author vanity project we can all laugh at instead. I don't know which would be more funny/tragic actually. Amazon or Random House.
Congratulations on getting the agent.

I can't see Han self-publishing though. I think it's only ever going to be the odd article or poem here and there in non-profit journals, edited by people who know her personally, if that. I think she's tried to write something longer and failed. There's no structure to her. We've seen her videos. She would just waffle and run out of steam.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

EmptyVessel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:53 am

Samantha March brings out my prey drive - she's got that wet, thin-skinned kind of vibe about her, poor cow. However, she's got enough poke in the engine to follow her dreams and get those books out there. I haven't a clue what they're like and I'm not drawn to read any of them. I know that this kind of person won't write anything of any interest to me, unless she had a major life interruption and then co-wrote a book about her experiences with a professional writer. However, she wrote the books, which is more than Hannah's done. I take the opposite view to you: Hannah COULD have written books about her shopping habits and striving to be an ethical consumer, but she didn't. When her channel was really growing, she could have sold a few copies, even just as a download. Knowing her, she would probably have done a Kickstarter anyway. The thing is she DIDN'T and I now believe it's beyond her capabilities. She describes herself as a 'poet' and an 'essayist'. In other words, short things. She has never ventured beyond that. She doesn't even have a written blog. Neither does Joe. The 'writer'. At least our Sam has had a go, whether we like her work or not! I think with Han, it's about whether the 'afflatus' is upon her, which is why nothing ever gets done (just found that word and it's right up her alley! As well as being a bit farty).
Yes, yes, yes, you have a point. I think Hannah likes having written, rather than the actual writing (credit: Dorothy Parker circa....1930 or something. Dorothy Parker is who Hannah thinks she is when she's not 'The Poet's Poet' but when has Hannah ever had the self-awareness to say something like that?). Granted, there's an element of this in all writers (myself included). But as my own personal philosophy has always been that writing is a doing, not a thinking, thing, we get on with it anyway. And Samantha does indeed get on with it doesn't she! You're right, maybe I'm a little hard on her.
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

EmptyVessel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:00 am
WORDSALAD wrote:
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
mimexli wrote:
This might be very "bitch eating crackers" of me, but during the Patrick Ta review (in case you didn't watch it) she wrote a list of questions that she would have if she were looking for a review. She read a question off her paper and goes "Oh! Interesting question!" Yes, I'm sure you thought it was interesting. You DID write it after all

It's a very HLP mannerism, after all. Literally all I got from it is that it was a more luxurious application with the after effects of soap brows.
She could've condensed 40 minutes into 15, max, if she would have kept it concise while still being descriptive.

It just feels like she's talking just to hear herself without actually listening to the content she's giving her viewers.
This is Hannah in a nutshell. You have managed to summarise her channel and probably her whole personality tbh in two sentences - something she apparently wouldn't be able to do.

I'm sure someone has said this before, maybe even me - but for such an accomplished writer and poet, brevity is not the soul of her wit(lessness).

As someone who has just got myself an agent after many months of trying, with ten years of professional journalism and academic writing under my belt, I will shit an expletive brick if she's blagged herself a lucrative book deal off the back of wordsalading naive young anti-consumerism optimists for three years.

But it would all be very Anorexia Dung, and very representative of today's publishing industry. So it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hopefully though she's just gonna do a March style (self)published author vanity project we can all laugh at instead. I don't know which would be more funny/tragic actually. Amazon or Random House.

I can't see Han self-publishing though. I think it's only ever going to be the odd article or poem here and there in non-profit journals, edited by people who know her personally, if that. I think she's tried to write something longer and failed. There's no structure to her. We've seen her videos. She would just waffle and run out of steam.
Yes indeed. (And thanks, he seems kinda cool and has had some pretty big names under his belt in the past, it's kinda intimidating). Trouble is I can see some very profit driven big publisher taking her on off the back of her youtube 'success' (a la a thousand others). She wouldn't need a full on ghostwriter like most of the others (poor Zoella hahaha), but she would need CONSIDERABLE editing. But this is what big publishers have the endless bucks for. Wonderful, hard working editing staff who are the real heroes of their operation. So they'd hire her knowing they'd have to edit the thing down to within an inch of its life. - In anticipation of the ££££. Then again, I think those ' ' were telling there. Her youtube success is hardly that of Zoella or Anna whatserface or the Pixiwoos etc. so..... I'm probably talking bollocks lol

But yeah I think you're right about the self-publishing. Too transparent and grifty for her. But when have I said that before.... ;) :rofl:
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

Also this might be a little late in the game but

Did she really use the phrase "offered my body to him" seriously? In the NYT??

:barf:

EmptyVessel
Informer
Informer

Post by EmptyVessel »

WORDSALAD wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:20 am
Also this might be a little late in the game but

Did she really use the phrase "offered my body to him" seriously? In the NYT??

:barf:
Yes.

Al I can see in my mind's eye is this scene in one of the Arnie movies of a line of Nordic maidens inching vacantly towards their doom.

EmptyVessel
Informer
Informer

Post by EmptyVessel »

WORDSALAD wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:14 am
EmptyVessel wrote:
WORDSALAD wrote:
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
mimexli wrote:

Yes indeed. (And thanks, he seems kinda cool and has had some pretty big names under his belt in the past, it's kinda intimidating). Trouble is I can see some very profit driven big publisher taking her on off the back of her youtube 'success' (a la a thousand others). She wouldn't need a full on ghostwriter like most of the others (poor Zoella hahaha), but she would need CONSIDERABLE editing. But this is what big publishers have the endless bucks for. Wonderful, hard working editing staff who are the real heroes of their operation. So they'd hire her knowing they'd have to edit the thing down to within an inch of its life. - In anticipation of the ££££. Then again, I think those ' ' were telling there. Her youtube success is hardly that of Zoella or Anna whatserface or the Pixiwoos etc. so..... I'm probably talking bollocks lol

But yeah I think you're right about the self-publishing. Too transparent and grifty for her. But when have I said that before.... ;) :rofl:
No one will touch her now. That ship has sailed.

She would be utterly incensed if someone tried to edit her writing anyway. That would absolutely not work. I think it would leave a profound mark on her self-image, but she would probably choose to walk away and call it 'integrity'.

Excited for you about your new personal developments. Intimidating can be such a positive thing. I love the challenge of that in some contexts.

brm1618
Lurker
Lurker

Post by brm1618 »

EmptyVessel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:46 am
WORDSALAD wrote:
EmptyVessel wrote:
WORDSALAD wrote:
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:

She would be utterly incensed if someone tried to edit her writing anyway. That would absolutely not work. I think it would leave a profound mark on her self-image, but she would probably choose to walk away and call it 'integrity'.

Excited for you about your new personal developments. Intimidating can be such a positive thing. I love the challenge of that in some contexts.
I actually disagree. I think there are plenty of publishers who would be interested in her "story." Going on a no buy is trendy, and let's not forget that she has a masters in some type of writing or another. I think that people not as entrenched in Youtube and the beauty community might not see past the quirky veneer.

I think she would turn her nose up about self publishing though, I imagine she looks down on the like of Samantha March for stooping that low.

fuzzypickles
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Post by fuzzypickles »

brm1618 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:28 pm

I actually disagree. I think there are plenty of publishers who would be interested in her "story." Going on a no buy is trendy, and let's not forget that she has a masters in some type of writing or another. I think that people not as entrenched in Youtube and the beauty community might not see past the quirky veneer.

I think she would turn her nose up about self publishing though, I imagine she looks down on the like of Samantha March for stooping that low.
especially since she had that essay in the nyt! Self publishing is definitely not as brag worthy, the only way I see her doing it is if patreon pays for it (as in a separate tier). Or if she's super shameless by starting a separate kickstarter

EmptyVessel
Informer
Informer

Post by EmptyVessel »

brm1618 wrote:
EmptyVessel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:46 am
WORDSALAD wrote:
EmptyVessel wrote:
WORDSALAD wrote:

It's pretty tough to get a publisher to invest in a project, even just to get them to look at something. You have to have some visibility first, connections, or a good agent with those things. Aside from existing publications, publishers look at Internet presence for some kinds of publishing, including social media presence. Lots of things are merging. It's just so competitive and there isn't the money around to mess about. There has to be some indication that stuff will sell. Because of this, self-publishing has come into its own in recent years. There are people who've gone on to real mainstream success after publishing on the Internet or using their own funds. It gets the work out there. Then comes the tough job of selling it. I would have infintely more respect for Hannah if she did that.

HLP woud also have to write the book first.

When HLP's channel was quite new and growing fast, she even had a mention in Vogue. That would have been the time to bite and go for it. She's off the boil now and tbh, COVID-19 has eclipsed everything. So much has moved online at this time, it's going to have a lasting impact. Again, I think HLP has missed that train, because she's still churning out the same old pulp and losing subs in the process. There were so many other things she could have been doing. There is a much bigger audience at the moment and a captive one at that. Shopping is old news - the shops are closed, people are staying in, there are money issues for many. The new thing will be all about rebuilding, bouncing back, as well as socio-political comment, which isn't Hannah's thing. Maybe she'll write about how she survived lockdown and bounced back, re-invented her life. I can't see it happening though, and I don't think she'd get the audience anyway.

But you just never know... she might be far more connected than we realise, or just get lucky, like she did with her residencies, scholarships and no-buy channel.

EmptyVessel
Informer
Informer

Post by EmptyVessel »

fuzzypickles wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:14 pm
brm1618 wrote:

especially since she had that essay in the nyt! Self publishing is definitely not as brag worthy, the only way I see her doing it is if patreon pays for it (as in a separate tier). Or if she's super shameless by starting a separate kickstarter
Well, at least with a Kickstarter, people would get a copy of the book! It's hard to see how people are getting their money's worth with her Patreon.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

Hhmmmm Kickstarter.

Too transparent and grifty?

I think not!! 😂😂

ChicagoFlavoredPetty
Talker
Talker

Post by ChicagoFlavoredPetty »

fluffball wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:32 pm
ok so this is so OT but don't you feel like HLP is the type of straight woman who thinks she's the shit because of how she talks about gay men/drag? I can hear her in my head saying stuff along the lines of "oh my goahd, you guys! I'm like so woke because I watch drag race! yaaas queen, the gays are so funny! I love how they exist for my entertainment!! Don't you know how deep I am? C'mon I have a tarot deck with a naked dude! And I totally slurp chardonnay as I artfully drape myself over the concrete floor, wistfully sighing at my RuPaul print bc Joe didn't accept me when I offered my body :( :( :(" *editorially double-taps the buy-button because shopping is my one true love*

(Is the quarantine getting to me? maybe?)
Oh, she absolutely is. For as much as she goes on about "voting for women", she defers to men for approval and status. There is nothing feminist about Hannah whatsoever- it's just a ruse to get followers and to seem enlightened.

TheMakeupMarauder
Lurker
Lurker

Post by TheMakeupMarauder »

Congrats, Wordsalad, on finding an agent! <3 I'm so happy for you.
I would definitely almost rather her start a Kickstarter for a book- if she chose to do one, which.. you know, may or may not ever happen. She kept saying in her recent video or one of them that she's an essayist, a poet- so I think you're right, EmptyVessel, when you say she'll not commit herself that far with a book- even if the option was given to her.
I did see that she was going to post a review on one of those Roen quads/comparison that she truly has raved on and that I saw people in her comments- probably Patrons- begging her to do, so at least she did take their money and buy ONE thing they asked her to, versus buying things she wants like more cream blush and calling it a "self-sponsored" review.

TheMakeupMarauder
Lurker
Lurker

I don't know how many of you watch beautbean or care, but I just created a profile for her on here, because she really came at me when I mentioned her in a comment about Jeffree Star being complicit in helping cover up (or at least knowing about) Dahvie Vanity's pedophilia and doing nothing about it. I have all the receipts and DMs on that thread and would love to know your thoughts.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:04 pm
Thanks it's been hard work lol
But hey, in this Era of Lurg it's nice to have something positive to look forward to. (And to do seeing as I now have to rewrite the best part of my book 😐)
I would definitely almost rather her start a Kickstarter for a book- if she chose to do one, which.. you know, may or may not ever happen. She kept saying in her recent video or one of them that she's an essayist, a poet- so I think you're right, EmptyVessel, when you say she'll not commit herself that far with a book- even if the option was given to her.
I did see that she was going to post a review on one of those Roen quads/comparison that she truly has raved on and that I saw people in her comments- probably Patrons- begging her to do, so at least she did take their money and buy ONE thing they asked her to, versus buying things she wants like more cream blush and calling it a "self-sponsored" review.
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 pm
I don't know how many of you watch beautbean or care, but I just created a profile for her on here, because she really came at me when I mentioned her in a comment about Jeffree Star being complicit in helping cover up (or at least knowing about) Dahvie Vanity's pedophilia and doing nothing about it. I have all the receipts and DMs on that thread and would love to know your thoughts.
Is she the one who people keep mentioning in Annette's thread? Soz I have no idea who she is lol
It seems like everyone is using this time to declutter their sm follows and subs- well that and NOT watching Twati videos (😂😂😂😂😂😂), so a lot of the threads of the smaller 'more relatable' influencers are now getting busier with people who have suddenly had the epiphany that their fave is just as shady as the bigger gooroos. It's cool. Or maybe it's just that the influencers themselves are going stir crazy and are no longer moderating themselves on sm lol - and so like your girl are pissing off their followers with blunt and rude replies to criticism.

TheMakeupMarauder
Lurker
Lurker

I’m sure it’ll be marvelous once you churn it all out! You have quite the voice, for sure! <3

For me, I have gotten to a point where I can’t make excuses for people anymore- but even people who are outwardly nice and relatable- they still have to be held accountable. If I was supporting someone (she used his palette in a video YESTERDAY) that had covered for a pedophile, I’d want to know. Once I knew about the racism, I was done. She pretty much made it out like I was attacking her for “no reason” and that she didn’t support him even though she recommends his products more often than not. ?-?
I haven’t followed Tati in years, but I’m sure that’s still a shit show.
I can at least watch HLP for the cringe. xD

WORDSALAD wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:46 am
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
But hey, in this Era of Lurg it's nice to have something positive to look forward to. (And to do seeing as I now have to rewrite the best part of my book 😐)
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Is she the one who people keep mentioning in Annette's thread? Soz I have no idea who she is lol
It seems like everyone is using this time to declutter their sm follows and subs- well that and NOT watching Twati videos (😂😂😂😂😂😂), so a lot of the threads of the smaller 'more relatable' influencers are now getting busier with people who have suddenly had the epiphany that their fave is just as shady as the bigger gooroos. It's cool. Or maybe it's just that the influencers themselves are going stir crazy and are no longer moderating themselves on sm lol - and so like your girl are pissing off their followers with blunt and rude replies to criticism.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:09 am
I’m sure it’ll be marvelous once you churn it all out! You have quite the voice, for sure! <3
Thanks that's really nice of you to say 😄
For me, I have gotten to a point where I can’t make excuses for people anymore- but even people who are outwardly nice and relatable- they still have to be held accountable. If I was supporting someone (she used his palette in a video YESTERDAY) that had covered for a pedophile, I’d want to know. Once I knew about the racism, I was done. She pretty much made it out like I was attacking her for “no reason” and that she didn’t support him even though she recommends his products more often than not. ?-?
Yes exactly. People have suddenly started connecting the smaller people with the bigger people and applying the same standards to them. Which has been sorely needed for a while.
Seems like she wants her cake and everybody else's too - they all do. "I want to buy JS because I want the views, but I also don't support him at all and you have to believe me because I say so. Never mind the fact I give hundreds of dollars to his brand every year, I don't support him. I don't support him yet I do free PR for him at least once a month. I don't support him!!"
Yes love. You do. They know they do tbh and this is why they can't stand being called out on it.
Like Hannah and her 'budget'. She knows she doesn't have a budget any more, really. She must. And that's why she can't stand being criticised for it.

See there I just said again that I think she has self-awareness. A while back on this thread I said she totally lacked self-awareness. This is why I still find the conundrum of Hannah intriguing.

---- Just how self aware is she? REALLY? --------

WORDSALAD wrote:
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:

hcburbs
Debater
Debater

Post by hcburbs »

WORDSALAD wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:11 am
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:09 am
Thanks that's really nice of you to say 😄
Yes exactly. People have suddenly started connecting the smaller people with the bigger people and applying the same standards to them. Which has been sorely needed for a while.
Seems like she wants her cake and everybody else's too - they all do. "I want to buy JS because I want the views, but I also don't support him at all and you have to believe me because I say so. Never mind the fact I give hundreds of dollars to his brand every year, I don't support him. I don't support him yet I do free PR for him at least once a month. I don't support him!!"
Yes love. You do. They know they do tbh and this is why they can't stand being called out on it.
Like Hannah and her 'budget'. She knows she doesn't have a budget any more, really. She must. And that's why she can't stand being criticised for it.

See there I just said again that I think she has self-awareness. A while back on this thread I said she totally lacked self-awareness. This is why I still find the conundrum of Hannah intriguing.

---- Just how self aware is she? REALLY? --------

WORDSALAD wrote:
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
TheMakeupMarauder wrote:
I made one viewtopic.php?f=158&t=37569 <3
Stumbled on a declutter video of hers and had to turn it off because she sounded so incredibly fake and repetitive.

TheMakeupMarauder
Lurker
Lurker

Hannah’s aware enough to throw a bitch fit when called out. She’s done series on ethics, on budgets, etc. She can’t not know. 0-0
I go back and forth on it as well.

Return to “F-J”