Abbey Sharp

Forum rules
Please keep in mind - No Homophobic or Racist Posts!
fossilfinger
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Abbey Sharp

Post by fossilfinger »

Mama Doctor Jones just posted she's collaborating with Abbey...interesting.

graciesea
Learner
Learner

Post by graciesea »

she's so condescending! I need another dietician to humble her, I'm sick of her videos. the comments section is always overly positive and critical of the YTber she's "reviewing" aka bashing

imbadatusernames
Debater
Debater

Post by imbadatusernames »

This is kinda an old problem I've had with her, that is touched on a bit by a few of ya'll. I really dislike that she watches one video of a YouTuber's what I eat in a day (usually if they've posted one they've posted a bunch) and thinks she can comment on if they eat well or not. It just seems to go against her "I'm so professional, I'm a dietitian" attitude to not give due diligence and cover more than one of their days of eating.

Chloe_Bean
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Chloe_Bean »

I've seen some comments lately on her videos from women saying sometimes they'll go to eat something and think, "would Abbey approve?" and realize their meal isn't balanced enough and switch it up. Not every meal needs to be perfectly balanced? How is that a healthy takeaway from her advice? I don't care what her technical qualifications are I don't think she has the right headspace to be giving advice.

Russell_88
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Russell_88 »

Her smugness is enough to make me want to vomit.

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

imbadatusernames wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:19 am
This is kinda an old problem I've had with her, that is touched on a bit by a few of ya'll. I really dislike that she watches one video of a YouTuber's what I eat in a day (usually if they've posted one they've posted a bunch) and thinks she can comment on if they eat well or not. It just seems to go against her "I'm so professional, I'm a dietitian" attitude to not give due diligence and cover more than one of their days of eating.
Yeah I think this is my biggest issue with her too. Also like... so many of these people didn't ask. Like ObesetoBeast said he felt really weird about it when she posted her video on him.

Yoona
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Yoona »

imbadatusernames wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:19 am
She constantly shows pictures of the junk food she eats so it just makes her supposed authority even harder to take seriously if she thinks a day's worth of eating is enough to form an opinion on anyone's diet. I'm sure she'd contradict herself immediately if someone looked at her Instagram and publicly called her diet unhealthy. I mean, Freelee does but Abbey is too afraid to reply directly to the lunatic.

monki
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by monki »

There's just something about Abbey that I don't like, I get the feeling that everything is an act maybe? She tries to come across as cool but it just doesn't seem genuine.

What bothers me most is the intuitive eating BS. It just won't work for most people and I honestly don't even think she believes in it. I've noticed a trend of slim/fit social media personalities jumping on the health at every size/body-positive bandwagon, pandering for views. Personally, I have no issue with other people being overweight and even deciding not to lose weight and I don't think they should be mocked/bullied but I'm also not going to pretend that you can be healthy at every size or that your doctor mentioning your weight is fatphobic.

In Abbey's what I eat in a day before her wedding, she was obviously trying to slim down. But a few years later intentional fat loss is bad. But now she'll support you in weight loss because the criticism is too much. It's all fake and any health "professional" that minimises the health implications of obesity is actually dangerous.

Yes, yo-yo dieting and weight cycling can have negative effects on the body but isn't her job as Dietitian to teach people better more sustainable ways of eating to lose weight as well as providing educating so people don't become overweight in the first place rather than saying "well you might as well not bother because 90% of people end up gaining it back"

babysnowflake
Learner
Learner

Post by babysnowflake »

I'm a dietitian and its gotten to the point where I really can't stand Abbey. She seems like she's got a holier than thou attitude while also trying to be qUiRkY cause she swears. I don't think calorie counting is inherently "disordered" and there's no way intuitive eating works for a majority of people especially people who have struggled with weight in the past which is like 90% of people. She's so obsessed with "balance" and poo-poos things like keto and intermittent fasting which do have some science behind them.

Not gonna lie, like 80% of dietitians are high strung, perfectionists, type A people pleasers. I think Abbey pretends she's not in that group but she totally is.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

monki
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by monki »

Has she addressed the fact that when reviewing Healthy Crazy Cool (Miles) she didn't include all the fruit he had at the start of the day? Miles ate 9 sharon fruits for breakfast in one of the videos which we know Abbey would disapprove of, I can only assume this was omitted because Miles was supposed to be used as an example of a well balanced vegan diet.

To me, it comes off as very shady, Abbey is a dietician and these videos are supposed to be subjective and educational but she obviously has an agender. I can't help but wounded of she's manipulated any other diets she's reviewed in the past.

Russell_88
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Russell_88 »

Watched her vid reviewing "what I eat in a day" TikToks and at this point it's clear she is just trying to make money blabbing about shit that even the stupidest person is aware isn't healthy.

"Eating 350 calories a day is bad!" Wow! Thank you for telling us. Pretty sure everyone knows it's bad, including those of us with ED.

Whoheckinhknows
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Whoheckinhknows »

Jesus, in her response to Miles on her community tab she used so many 'LOL's like everything he brought up was a joke. He took his response seriously (despite his normally sassy attitude) and she couldn't give him the same respect. If I wasn't already over her that would've done it for me.
I'm just a sad potato

Chloe_Bean
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Chloe_Bean »

She doesn't have a thick enough skin to be doing what she's doing, I don't think she can handle when someone she critiques comes back at her. She seems like a bit of a people pleaser.

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

I'm getting so tired of her saying that she's not doing it for drama, but of course with her criticising people's diets people are going to get defensive and try to defend themselves which people then perceive as drama between them. She knows that these videos get views and the people she comments on don't like her talking about them.

kittenkong
Learner
Learner

Post by kittenkong »

dietgossip wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:34 am
I'm getting so tired of her saying that she's not doing it for drama
At this point she is pretty myluch just a drama channel for people who don't want to admit they have an eating disorder, with occasional forrays into pseudo-science.

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

Smh. So, not only is she bragging in this post with her over the top majestic-sunshine-mountain wedding pic, but she is being completely tone deaf.

It's offensive how she considers thousands of people dying to be "disruptive" and inconvenient to people's party plans. :?
It's just a bit selfish and immature when people get that upset about shifting some plans around because of Covid...

Totally reminds me of how Melanie Murphy kept whining about her wedding plans being affected :roll:

SPF5000
Informer
Informer

Post by SPF5000 »

Can't believe I didn't notice there was a page on her here!

I have all the same issues with her that most of you have posted. What did it for me is when she starred letters in "obesity" as though it were a swear word. No, it's a medical term and clinical diagnosis! Great, so now those people getting diagnosed with clinical obesity have to feel even more shame about their actual diagnosis.

Another thing that caught might attention while looking over her videos on her home page, is that she has quite a low view-to-subscriber ratio, which leads to my next question since she can't be making all that much money on YT with so few views: How does she afford that literal mansion that she lives in in Toronto, which is not known for cheap real estate? She also apparently has staff, in addition to the filming studio that she records all her vids in. Just look at that home gym that she recently posted in community. She's either a trust fund kid(which would explain how tone deaf she is to real life struggles), or hubs is some corporate executive.

kittenkong
Learner
Learner

Post by kittenkong »

I wonder when the last time she had an actual client/patient was.

SPF5000
Informer
Informer

Post by SPF5000 »

kittenkong wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:09 am
I wonder when the last time she had an actual client/patient was.
According to her Linkedin, her last clinical work appears to be as an intern in 2011-2012, which would have been her residency to obtain her RD certification after her B.A.Sc. You would think that if she had worked with clients in any capacity since then, that she would have it listed there since it does appear to be up to date. Her clinical experience is even worse than Dr. Dray's!

Also, WTF is a "media dietician"??

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/abbey-sharp-6449b422

She for reals made that up. The only actual work that she has done is for magazines/food editing, which I suspect she acquired through privileged connections. What are the odd of just any random RD getting magazine jobs straight out of school?

Yoona
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Yoona »

To me she just seems like one of those 'professionals' that learned something ten years ago and is like "I'm good" and no longer keeps up with new information, ideas, and facts. Very dangerous in any profession that involves other people's health.

Return to “A-M”