Brooke Miccio: the hunchback of LI babyyyyy (Pt. 6)

beenwatchingtoolong
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Brooke Miccio: the hunchback of LI babyyyyy (Pt. 6)

Post by beenwatchingtoolong »

I don’t even follow Gretchen or her podcast, but i responded to her story where she was asking for questions for brooke “on being single in her 20s” and I legit said WHY does it have to be about her relationship status, cant y’all just have a girl talk. I genuinely think that’s so weird and icky, like I guarantee Gretchen was the one like oh yeah let’s do a pod focusing on your singleness

LuckyL
Lurker
Lurker

Post by LuckyL »

medusaIX wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:48 am
LuckyL wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:22 am
medusaIX wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:07 am
her podcasting video is a good concept. I still haven't watched and I'm sure it'll be poorly made like any other of her videos, but what 'counts' (when you see it pop up in your subscription box at least) is the idea behind it, which seems interesting and a change from her stale vlogs, and could actually make you click.
If done properly, with structure and all, it could be good, and the type of video you'd watch even if you have no idea what mess gals on the go is.
The fact that after 2 days it is still below 10k views, whilst her 'floor update' and the last boring half assed vlog are both at more than 40k view, shows that her audience is, in fact, just as dumb as she is.
it also tells me that brooke is gonna milk this meltdown-postgraduate-post "breakup"-crisis 20x more than she milked quitting her job so she can actually get more than 10k views.
I don’t think it’s that her audience is dumb. It’s more like how many people in her audience are interested in starting a podcast? Not very many. People subscribe to her for lifestyle content so I don’t think how-to style content will build engagement with her current audience. If she wants to build engagement with her current audience she just needs to make her day to day stuff more interesting and pack more activities and luxury lifestyle type things into her day, like Danielle.

A how to podcast video might reach to a certain new audience (people who want to start a podcast), but that demographic wouldn’t stick around in the long term because the focus of her channel isn’t media brand growth.
you're right, dumb is not the right choice for what I want to say. What I mean is her audience would rather watch her throw a fit on her floor or have a breakdown because an underpaid starbucks worker didn't warm her sandwich up, rather than see something that's actually interesting, and that's probably one of the many reasons why her content is not going to get any better (other than her being lazy of course).
idk i guess i'd rather her the story on how someone started a podcast (or any other activities, interests, side jobs, whatever), even if i'm not interested in the activity itself, rather than watch them do nothing all day. this podcast video is the most interesting she's put out in months (at least to me), and it's getting less than 10k views. this does tell us a lot about her audience.
I definitely am in the other camp than you for part of her audience. I work full time and don’t want to spend my free time learning about a side hustle or whatever. I want to watch it to relax. It’s like the real housewives, not substantive but mindless fun tv. However I did really prefer her content when she was working full time because it was relatable. But I see how almost no youtubers can work full time and document life in a vlog too because it would just eat up all your free time. I wouldn’t want to come home from work and have to work more, even if it is on a passion project.

danny-devito
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by danny-devito »

sensualamber wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:20 am
10k is truly sad. i was scrolling through her account today and she used to get upwards of 100k on her work week videos. sure those videos were repetitive, but so are most of her viewers' lives and in the sense of being relatable, it was interesting. outfit ideas, meal prep ideas, the feeling of never having enough time, being stuck in work traffic, etc etc. she's so defensive about "not needing to be relatable" but the views truly speak for themselves. i'm shocked her subscriber count hasn't gone down. she always talks about how miserable she was at oracle but honestly i never picked up on that. she seems so much more depressed and sad now than she did back then. her social life was just part of work and didn't need to be forced, and her alone time was needed whenever she got home. now she's always alone. she tells us how much happier she is now but we all know that's a lie! and moving to new york won't change a damn thing. and if she moves back home, sure she'll be happier but i think she'll get even lazier. mommy and daddy will do everything for her. honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if she moves to pa, outside of philly. it's not as cold and miserable here and she'll be near her parents. nyc is a quick train ride away, and philly has a lot to offer. i don't know many youtubers who live here! but of course, she'll probably still move to nyc
brooke really could have done so much more with her channel while working by just putting in the tiniest bit of effort. sure her vlogs were repetitive, and it's because she didn't try. we can only watch so many videos that cut from her getting up at the asscrack of dawn, saying "ok i'm going to work now" and then not coming back onto camera until 6pm saying "i'm home from work now." i'm sure her company had policies about filming while at work and ndas about specifics, so i wouldn't expect to see her filming calls at her desk, but maybe taking time during her lunch break to talk a little bit more would have been nice. on top of the vlog-style content she could have done more sit-down videos about how she used linkedin while job searching, about interview processes, how to find a job in sales, business school advice, advice on meal prepping (SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SPONSORED CONTENT BROOKE!!), etc. but the girl was lazy and got so stuck in her formula that was getting her by she didn't even bother.
her total subscriber count hasn't gone down, but she definitely stopped gaining the way she was while working. she got less than 1k subs during december, when she was posting almost every day. :?
towards the end of her time at oracle i could definitely see her being miserable, especially because she had to shove it down everyone's throats in each video about how happy she was, how much she loved her job, etc. it really felt like she was trying to convince herself, not her viewers. she still seems miserable, and that she's trying to convince herself/everyone else that she's happier now that she quit, and if/when she moves to new york it'll be the same damn thing over again. she refuses to actually seek out help and work on herself. speaking from experience, quitting your job and running away to a new city doesn't solve your problems - you bring all your trauma and your issues with you. the only way to get better is to do the damn work.
i think that she should move to philly, but we all know she never would. there are quite a few influencers in boston and even more in new york, but there's opportunity for her to stand out in philly. plus she's super close to her family and they'll be living an hour-ish outside the city now, and like you said it's close enough to new york that she can go whenever she wants. plus the cost of living is so much lower than new york, so the girl can save her money and skip out on the wack lightbulb sponsorships. she'll never do it though because she's too obsessed with image. aside from growing up on long island, brooke doesn't seem to have much of an attachment to new york city. whenever she goes she does the same damn things all the time in manhattan. she only wants to be there because living in new york gives the image of having money, and people don't think the same of smaller cities like philadelphia.

jokesonme
Lurker
Lurker

Post by jokesonme »

I realized that the thing that bothers me the most about Brooke (and Danielle) is their distate for people who want to start a Youtube channel/start influencing. They've talked about it on the podcast before but there always seems to be this major eyeroll when someone new to the scene gets brought up or they ALWAYS talk about doing it "for the right reasons". What are the right reasons???? Doing it because you like it? Filming and editing yourself takes up a decent amount of time so I would think most people like it. Brooke doesn't even like it she hired an editor! They always talk about not doing Youtube for the money but the second Brooke quit her job at Oracle she started doing Youtube for the money and she stopped putting effort into her videos. I understand feeling burnout while working full time and doing Youtube, but at that point just scale back to one video per week. Doing Youtube as a hobby is/was obviously fun for them but now that it's a job it's terrible. I would hate to be living and knowing that if a video doesn't do as well as I thought it would, I may not make rent next month. Brooke seriously needs to get it together and realize that doing Youtube full time just isn't for her and it's make her more miserable.

kdoggy21
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kdoggy21 »

Seaside22 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:30 am
Her podcasting 101 video isn’t even at 10k views two days after it’s posted and she thought it would go viral...
Like it's a good idea in theory, but how many of her viewers actually give a shit about how to start a podcast? I haven't watched because I have no plans to start one, and I don't really care to learn more about how GOTG came to fruition. It's just not that relevant to her audience in the same way a finance/meal prep/ therapy/ coffee shop video would be.

danny-devito
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by danny-devito »

kdoggy21 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:25 am
Seaside22 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:30 am
Her podcasting 101 video isn’t even at 10k views two days after it’s posted and she thought it would go viral...
Like it's a good idea in theory, but how many of her viewers actually give a shit about how to start a podcast? I haven't watched because I have no plans to start one, and I don't really care to learn more about how GOTG came to fruition. It's just not that relevant to her audience in the same way a finance/meal prep/ therapy/ coffee shop video would be.
i think it really shows how out of touch brooke is with her audience. she thinks everyone who follows/subscribes to her is a #girlboss who's always #hustling and #grinding babyyyyy, when in reality, most of them are women in college or entry-level jobs living with roommates on a budget. not everyone's out to become an influencer or run some kind of side hustle - a lot of them are just trying to be entertained while they make it by. maybe some of them are interested in starting a podcast, but there was no way in hell this would be her most popular video, especially when there are already hundreds of "how to start a podcast" videos out there, from people who have been at it much longer and seen more success

sensualamber
Debater
Debater

Post by sensualamber »

jokesonme wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:51 am
I realized that the thing that bothers me the most about Brooke (and Danielle) is their distate for people who want to start a Youtube channel/start influencing. They've talked about it on the podcast before but there always seems to be this major eyeroll when someone new to the scene gets brought up or they ALWAYS talk about doing it "for the right reasons". What are the right reasons???? Doing it because you like it? Filming and editing yourself takes up a decent amount of time so I would think most people like it. Brooke doesn't even like it she hired an editor! They always talk about not doing Youtube for the money but the second Brooke quit her job at Oracle she started doing Youtube for the money and she stopped putting effort into her videos. I understand feeling burnout while working full time and doing Youtube, but at that point just scale back to one video per week. Doing Youtube as a hobby is/was obviously fun for them but now that it's a job it's terrible. I would hate to be living and knowing that if a video doesn't do as well as I thought it would, I may not make rent next month. Brooke seriously needs to get it together and realize that doing Youtube full time just isn't for her and it's make her more miserable.
right?? they're so negative about people starting a youtube channel, but here! here's a video about how to start a podcast! like what?

gurugallll
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gurugallll »

She goes to Trader Joe's and Target everyday, because she has nothing else better to do. Her shoes she's wearing in the new pic are hideous.

RachelRatface
Informer
Informer

Post by RachelRatface »

A sponsored New Year's resolutions video... lmao, her editing will continue to suck because she won't use Skillshare herself to learn. This was just a money grab. The bar must be so low for these brands when it comes to this kind of thing. If I were Skillshare, I would not have approved this very lazy video.

jadorexo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by jadorexo »

sensualamber wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:20 am
10k is truly sad. i was scrolling through her account today and she used to get upwards of 100k on her work week videos. sure those videos were repetitive, but so are most of her viewers' lives and in the sense of being relatable, it was interesting. outfit ideas, meal prep ideas, the feeling of never having enough time, being stuck in work traffic, etc etc. she's so defensive about "not needing to be relatable" but the views truly speak for themselves. i'm shocked her subscriber count hasn't gone down. she always talks about how miserable she was at oracle but honestly i never picked up on that. she seems so much more depressed and sad now than she did back then. her social life was just part of work and didn't need to be forced, and her alone time was needed whenever she got home. now she's always alone. she tells us how much happier she is now but we all know that's a lie! and moving to new york won't change a damn thing. and if she moves back home, sure she'll be happier but i think she'll get even lazier. mommy and daddy will do everything for her. honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if she moves to pa, outside of philly. it's not as cold and miserable here and she'll be near her parents. nyc is a quick train ride away, and philly has a lot to offer. i don't know many youtubers who live here! but of course, she'll probably still move to nyc
brooke would N E V E R move to pa!

jadorexo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by jadorexo »

RachelRatface wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:34 am
A sponsored New Year's resolutions video... lmao, her editing will continue to suck because she won't use Skillshare herself to learn. This was just a money grab. The bar must be so low for these brands when it comes to this kind of thing. If I were Skillshare, I would not have approved this very lazy video.
it would be great if brooke takes the time to learn photoshop and video editing stuff at an actual center like general assembly in boston and films her going to classes, doing homework. essentially "going back to school" to sharpen your own skills! she's going to regret how badly she wasted her free time plus, it will give her some needed structure.

youtubeteaonly
Talker
Talker

Post by youtubeteaonly »

Brooke saying she wants to go to therapy in her resolutions video. Thank god. At least she’s self aware

ilovetogosssssipx
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ilovetogosssssipx »

I miss her videos before she quit her job

Gossip_14551
Learner
Learner

Post by Gossip_14551 »

ilovetogosssssipx wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 am
I miss her videos before she quit her job
I found them to be tolerable. Like good background noise for when I didn’t want silence but didn’t care enough about what was really going on. Yes, they were boring and so repetitive but at least they were *tolerable* instead of the content she is pushing out now

spillingthetea123
Talker
Talker

Post by spillingthetea123 »

beenwatchingtoolong wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:23 am
I don’t even follow Gretchen or her podcast, but i responded to her story where she was asking for questions for brooke “on being single in her 20s” and I legit said WHY does it have to be about her relationship status, cant y’all just have a girl talk. I genuinely think that’s so weird and icky, like I guarantee Gretchen was the one like oh yeah let’s do a pod focusing on your singleness
Brooke is obsessed with the “Girls Gotta Eat” podcast, who are two single women in NYC who commonly talk about single/dating life topics, so she’ll probably just spew the shit they say on their podcast. And we all know Gretchen will jump on any opportunity to talk about Max :roll:

RachelRatface
Informer
Informer

Post by RachelRatface »

youtubeteaonly wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:19 am
Brooke saying she wants to go to therapy in her resolutions video. Thank god. At least she’s self aware
Eh, she gave herself an out with the health insurance stuff. I doubt she'll go.

Firefly1111
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Firefly1111 »

I understand that NYC may look like an attractive option. However, NYC is a much tougher city than Boston and it would make her content even more difficult to differentiate from the competition. Plus, living at such a short distance from her parent's home would make her run to them every time she had a meltdown (e.g., every time her Starbucks sandwich wasn't warm enough). I think it would be a bad decision.

I hope she sticks it out and finds her own way in Boston. I would understand if she moved closer to Back Bay or similar... because I think it makes sense for a younger person, but I hope she finds the motivation to stay put.

beccabones
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by beccabones »

I feel like brooke needs to volunteer or get outside of the youtube bubble. All she talks about is herself which is not good, especially when your business revolves around you. If she were to volunteer her time at a shelter or something she's passionate about (that actually has purpose) then it would help give her more structure and more PERSPECTIVE. I wish everyone in the youtube community would volunteer or actually do something that betters others without posting it all over their social medias.

(I've been following the Brooke threads for 2 months but never posted and I've been somewhat watching her videos for a year or so)

Post by Guest »

Sooooo any name ideas for board 7? Something to do with her psychotic Shane “breakup” perhaps?

Firefly1111
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Firefly1111 »

ihateytgurus wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:50 am
Sooooo any name ideas for board 7? Something to do with her psychotic Shane “breakup” perhaps?
I think the moment her poor mom put her had into the toilet bowl to clean has to be represented.

By the way, I just watched Brooke's last video and... it looks like she's trying and putting more effort into the content. Good for her!

Return to “Brooke Miccio”