Bratayley- Barely Hanging By a Thread- Part 16

ClaireField61
Learner
Learner

Re: Bratayley- Barely Hanging By a Thread- Part 16

Post by ClaireField61 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Vlog is boring asf for the week, I skimmed through again cause I just can't for even one minute.

We see Anthem and Paige as well. Annie is "sick" but apparently she can still move around and nothing much happens. Feel free to watch it yourselves for boredom.

youtube_obsessed842
Debater
Debater

Post by youtube_obsessed842 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:40 pm

lmmomSD wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:25 pm
It doesn't have anything to do with the kids ON YouTube. It's about protecting the kids watching. The FTC caught YT collecting information on children and fined them. If that hadn't happened, it would still be a free-for-all on YT. They honestly don't care as long as they keep seeing the money. They have demonetized channels in the past when advertisers felt the pinch, changed the rules, and gone back to business as usual a couple of months after. It's sickening.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes exactly, that's a great way of explaining it. Also, family vloggers are concerned because they are keen on keeping youtube a safe space for children. The idea is that certain niche's of youtube utilize certain 'targeted' ads. While this may sound like a bad thing, it is actually keeping children from being exposed to things that parents don't necessarily want their children watching. For example, you wouldn't want your 9 year old to be watching a JoJo Siwa video and then see an ad for Budweiser beer. It's inappropriate. There is a historic law that has come to light recently about it being illegal to target ads towards kids under the age of 13, and the FTC argues that these 'kid friendly ads' are doing just that, when really they are protecting children from seeing content geared towards adults.

In turn, this has other repercussions on family vloggers. The FTC says that any content "directed towards kids" will receive zero personal ads come January 1st, they have not issued any specifications on what this actually means. Like, no guidelines at all. All family channels and content geared towards children is basically up in the air at this point. Not having personal ads means that channels won't come up on recommended lists and video titles won't come up even when you search them. Youtube will essentially "bury" the channel going forward.

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm

I don't believe for a minute that most family vloggers are wanting to protect children watching their videos. These are the same people who, for the most part and with very few exceptions, use their own children for clickbait. They post thumbnails of their kids bleeding, sick, crying and dramatize injuries for views. There may be a few who _actually_ care about kid-friendly content, but the vast majority care mostly about keeping the income flowing in while not having to go out and get actual jobs.
And to prove my point (and bring it back to this thread), take a look at the the thumbnail of today's Bratayley video...

nsf555
Talker
Talker

Post by nsf555 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:01 pm

youtube_obsessed842 wrote:Not having personal ads means that channels won't come up on recommended lists and video titles won't come up even when you search them. Youtube will essentially "bury" the channel going forward.
Wouldn’t that just be a shame! /s Now I understand why all these family channels are freaking out over this. I guess if these rules DO go into effect, channels will have to rely on fans having a genuine interest and sticking around. Do these family channels not have a lot of confidence in that happening? Hmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youtube_obsessed842
Debater
Debater

Post by youtube_obsessed842 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:10 pm

lmmomSD wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm
I don't believe for a minute that most family vloggers are wanting to protect children watching their videos. These are the same people who, for the most part and with very few exceptions, use their own children for clickbait. They post thumbnails of their kids bleeding, sick, crying and dramatize injuries for views. There may be a few who _actually_ care about kid-friendly content, but the vast majority care mostly about keeping the income flowing in while not having to go out and get actual jobs.
And to prove my point (and bring it back to this thread), take a look at the the thumbnail of today's Bratayley video...

I can see where you're coming from and I completely agree, but it would be nice to believe that maybe some of these family vloggers do care about their viewers. I guess I'm mostly referring to smaller channels. I touched on this more in the OFN thread but Meet the Miller's is where I'm getting my information from regarding this topic. I've been watching them since they first started and think they are genuine people. They truly don't do it for the money and want their own children to continue to be safe while watching the platform, and in turn want those who watch them to be safe. Bre Miller, the mother, specifically mentions that there are people out there doing youtube for the 'wrong reasons' and I think we can include Bratayley in that group

bratguru12
Learner
Learner

Post by bratguru12 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:29 pm

It seems like Hayley has developed Annie's shyness of talking with strangers. She seemed terrified about having to go trick or treating.

At one stage they get Matt to go and trick or treat a house by himself, and Jane Buckingham (not on camera) says "he could get arrested for that".
Well I guess if anybody is an expert on getting arrested......

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:55 pm

youtube_obsessed842 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm

I can see where you're coming from and I completely agree, but it would be nice to believe that maybe some of these family vloggers do care about their viewers. I guess I'm mostly referring to smaller channels. I touched on this more in the OFN thread but Meet the Miller's is where I'm getting my information from regarding this topic. I've been watching them since they first started and think they are genuine people. They truly don't do it for the money and want their own children to continue to be safe while watching the platform, and in turn want those who watch them to be safe. Bre Miller, the mother, specifically mentions that there are people out there doing youtube for the 'wrong reasons' and I think we can include Bratayley in that group
That's why I said "most family vloggers". I've heard lots of good things about Meet the Millers. I haven't actually watched them, because my daughter is the big youtube watcher in my family. I only know the ones she watches.Unfortunately these days, people like the Millers seem to be the exception rather than the rule. People like the Shaytards, Funnel Vision, and all those Utah Mormon family vloggers are mostly in it for the money; and are selling their own children out. If they don't even care about the privacy of their own kids, we can't expect them to go out of their way to protect other people's children.
The whole situation is just a mess. I see the point about not wanting inappropriate ads playing on videos for children, but they shouldn't be collecting information on children either and targeting individual ads towards them. That's my understanding of the problem the FTC has. It wasn't ads generally targeted at children. They were _individually_ targeting ads. For instance, Facebook collects information on us. So does this website. And the ads we see on Facebook and GG are targeted at US, based on things we search and click on. So if a child shows an interest in Legos, say- YT would play more ads for Legos when they were watching videos. THAT'S the problem the FTC has. YouTube could have just run general "kid" ads. But they told Mattel in particular that they could get information for targeted ads on kids. And they got caught.

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:07 pm

PS sorry for the long OT post. It's going to be interesting come January to see what happens with the Leblancs. I think Billy's videos are going to be in trouble. I don't know about Katie and the girls. The "challenge" videos will get demonetized for sure.

lip
Informer
Informer

Post by lip » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:33 am

And in 2020, to reflect the further quality dive of the content, Bratayley will post in 240p...

Seriously, the vlogs are crap. One a week, by now in shitty 480p quality and still with unresolved questions: For example the Matt manager ersatz-Billy situation, what the hell is going on there? Dude is way too close to be professional manager (for example that ultralight flight when he had Annies ass in his crotch for 10mins creeped me out to no ends).

But as it took the Leblanc parents about a year just to inform the viewers about their separation, it will probaly take Katie another year just to inform that Matt is her new man. Provided the channel lasts until 2021 anyway...

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:16 am

The dad from J House Vlogs went to DC to meet with the FTC, and is acting like he cares about children's content. The thing is, that they aren't going to show beer ads on the YT Kids app, which is where children's content will be moving. So saying that they are worried about children seeing "inappropriate ads" is BS. They won't, unless they are already watching something inappropriate.
Anyway, apparently the FTC used Bratayley as an example of a channel aimed at kids. They apparently listed 13 channels in particular, and Bratayley and EvanTube were two of them. So Bratayley is already on their radar.

Lisatheacrobat
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lisatheacrobat » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 am

Hi can someone please explain the Annie’s ass in Matt’s crotch bit. I’m a little concerned about this.

If they are on Bratayley then Katie better perk up her ears. She might wanna figure out a new side hustle like Billy. Whether selling upcycled furniture and custom for home boards will pay the bills on that McMansion if theirs. But we also don’t know how much they have stashed away and how much she is pocketing from Annie’s music career. For a while they were pumping out songs left and right. Now Annie is all “I’m gonna learn the guitar and branch out” but what even is she actually doing?? At this point, i feel Like they are just collecting clout off of Ashannie and gave up on everything else.

Chicken Girls and all of the Brat channel is gonna get moved so there goes that multimillion dollar company and her big earnings from that. They aren’t pumping out content on the girls personal channels fast enough. Plus if the family channel is on the radar so are the personal channels. So I’m wondering if they are worried about this.

How will this effect their income except on Adsense? Do videos on YouTube kids even get ads? My kids i nanny have yt premium so idk what you get for ads on kids content. Can they no longer do sponsorships either since they are selling to minors? Because i know for the most part, that’s where most people make their money as well as merchandise.

How much we wanna bet that we will be getting an Annie LeBlanc x Morphe palette next year since Shane is doing his series and it’s been public the revenue he will make off of this? I’m sure they have been in the loop on this and if their channel is in trouble and could sting them financially, i wouldn’t be surprised if they try and collab with some big name makeup company and then play the narrative that Annie has always lived makeup and has always dreamt of making her own line of makeup. But in reality it’s a cash grab that if successful could make them many millions of dollars and seems to be a low cost production of the item. If they revamp her merch and ad makeup to her long list of “talents” while pumping out the music and keeping her hustling on Brat, they will set themselves up for life. But this is assuming that they see even a fraction of the success that Shane saw with his series.

lip
Informer
Informer

Post by lip » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:22 am

Lisatheacrobat wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 am
Hi can someone please explain the Annie’s ass in Matt’s crotch bit. I’m a little concerned about this.
It's in the Mexico Vacation (WK 451) vlog, at the 15min mark. - I simply wouldn't let one of my daughters sit in a grown mans lap like that, regardless of the innocent necessity by the planes seating arrangement.

youtube_obsessed842
Debater
Debater

Post by youtube_obsessed842 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Looks like episode 1 of Annie and Jaydens little series is out. It's called "Expert Attempters". That's what they filmed at the wildlife rescue. I know there's been a lot of discussion on here about whether Annie and Jayden are real friends...I feel this may be the last project they do together. Jayden is so above this stuff in my opinion, but she handles herself well in the episode. Of course Annie is acting overly scared, dramatic and grossed out while Jayden tackles holding a huge lizard like a pro. Why does no one call out Annie's lack of professionalism? Jayden acts like she goes along with Annie's whole song and dance but it's clear she is more mature and acting like a 'hand holder' to Annie. Annie is just so ANNOYING, I truly don't know how she gets these jobs. Not to mention, why are these poor unassuming animals being used for a ridiculous Nick show?? So irresponsible.

lnm8700
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by lnm8700 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:02 pm

OMG i wanted to smack the @$#@ out of Annie when she was hacking all over without covering her mouth!

MindOverNoMatter
Talker
Talker

Post by MindOverNoMatter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:24 pm

lnm8700 wrote:OMG i wanted to smack the @$#@ out of Annie when she was hacking all over without covering her mouth!
Yes!!! Annie and Hayley have the worst manners. They constantly talk with food in their mouths and cough/sneeze without covering. Both of then are way old enough to know better. Another thing that gets me is how loud and rude the can be sometimes. It's definitely a reflection of the parenting, I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:24 pm

MindOverNoMatter wrote:
lnm8700 wrote:OMG i wanted to smack the @$#@ out of Annie when she was hacking all over without covering her mouth!
Yes!!! Annie and Hayley have the worst manners. They constantly talk with food in their mouths and cough/sneeze without covering. Both of then are way old enough to know better. Another thing that gets me is how loud and rude the can be sometimes. It's definitely a reflection of the parenting, I'll leave it at that.

Their table manners are atrocious. Annie has an aversion to utensils. I think she thinks it's cute and quirky that she eats mashed potatoes with her fingers and pudding cups by squeezing the pudding to the top and licking it. And that she dips her fingers into food containers, licks whatever it is off her fingers, and sticks them back into the container.
It's not quirky. Or cute. She is almost 15, not 2 1/2.

bratguru12
Learner
Learner

Post by bratguru12 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 pm

Doesn't Billy have any adult friends he can make this video with ?

Lisatheacrobat
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lisatheacrobat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:35 am

lmmomSD wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:24 pm
MindOverNoMatter wrote:

Their table manners are atrocious. Annie has an aversion to utensils. I think she thinks it's cute and quirky that she eats mashed potatoes with her fingers and pudding cups by squeezing the pudding to the top and licking it. And that she dips her fingers into food containers, licks whatever it is off her fingers, and sticks them back into the container.

Does she still do this though? I would say if she was eating with Asher and she grabbed a handful of mashed potatoes and shoved it in her face I would question my whole relationship. At 15, that behavior is beyond gross and questionable if she is okay or not. Even if you thought it was cute when you were 11 or 12, i would hope you would grow out of it by the month before your 15th birthday. I remember seeing her sticking her fingers into containers of caramel, licking it off and going back for more while Katie stood there filming her and talking about what they had that she could dip into the caramel like watching your kid double dipping her fingers into a communal container is a totally normal thing. I’m sure without a doubt, Katie and Annie both are double dippers with their chips and queso. I really Just think Katie does half the things Annie does and doesn’t realize that crushing pudding cups (which i used to do as a kid too) and using my hands to eat potatoes is actually disgusting. But how often do we see them eating anymore that we can make a fair judgment that she is STILL eating like this? I would hope a boyfriend would knock the gross habits right out of you...

jonnydoe
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0

Post by jonnydoe » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 am

Haven't been on this side of the internet in a while. I just discovered billy's new youtube channel and holy shit is it creepy... Now, I have no idea who these kids are or if they're like teen heart throbs and billy's just using them for views but it doesn't matter because the videos themselves are concerning. If you're gonna do videos with kids, do content that is age appropriate. Him asking a teenage boy if he is a virgin is not appropriate for the 10 year old girls he's marketing his videos to. Also, the video where he's like popping the girls with the rubber band. WTF was that?! Is that some kind of kink or perversion or something? What in the hell...

Lisatheacrobat
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lisatheacrobat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:49 am

jonnydoe wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 am
Haven't been on this side of the internet in a while. I just discovered billy's new youtube channel and holy shit is it creepy... Now, I have no idea who these kids are or if they're like teen heart throbs and billy's just using them for views but it doesn't matter because the videos themselves are concerning. If you're gonna do videos with kids, do content that is age appropriate. Him asking a teenage boy if he is a virgin is not appropriate for the 10 year old girls he's marketing his videos to. Also, the video where he's like popping the girls with the rubber band. WTF was that?! Is that some kind of kink or perversion or something? What in the hell...
That channel is toast come January anyways... pray that his upcycled furniture and custom cornhole business is a smash hit cause this channel is a walking casket. I believe most of the guys are of age but barely. However i agree That asking about a person’s sex life when your viewers are 13 and under is next level creepy. But this channel is going to become obsolete along with his ex-wife’s channel. They are really just sitting ducks for becoming obsolete.

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:15 am

Lisatheacrobat wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:24 pm
MindOverNoMatter wrote:

Does she still do this though? I would say if she was eating with Asher and she grabbed a handful of mashed potatoes and shoved it in her face I would question my whole relationship. At 15, that behavior is beyond gross and questionable if she is okay or not. Even if you thought it was cute when you were 11 or 12, i would hope you would grow out of it by the month before your 15th birthday. I remember seeing her sticking her fingers into containers of caramel, licking it off and going back for more while Katie stood there filming her and talking about what they had that she could dip into the caramel like watching your kid double dipping her fingers into a communal container is a totally normal thing. I’m sure without a doubt, Katie and Annie both are double dippers with their chips and queso. I really Just think Katie does half the things Annie does and doesn’t realize that crushing pudding cups (which i used to do as a kid too) and using my hands to eat potatoes is actually disgusting. But how often do we see them eating anymore that we can make a fair judgment that she is STILL eating like this? I would hope a boyfriend would knock the gross habits right out of you...
That's actually a good point. I do know that as recent as them living in the apartment, she was exhibiting her inability to find/use utensils. But that's almost a year ago. And all I remember from last Thanksgiving is Annie refusing to sit down because there was a bee flitting around the table, not bothering ANYONE. Even Aiden managed to not be freaked out by it, but Annie had to make a big deal out of it and get all the attention focused on trying to reassure her and get her to sit her ass down. Image

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by chloesweb85 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:43 pm

I didn’t even think about how the new YouTube rules will effect channels like Brat.

From what I understand people who make money off of YouTube are making it off of targeted ads. So a channel like brat or brataley will have ads for toys, games, snacks, etc. YouTube can no longer collect info from these channels viewers so companies aren’t going to pay for these “targeted to kids”ads anymore since that won’t be an option. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding?

Billy is ridiculous. Does he think asking 18 year olds about their sex life will keep his channel off YouTube’s kids content radar? What adult would want to be on his channel after seeing this type of content? Both Leblanc parents need to read a book on boundaries.

youtube_obsessed842
Debater
Debater

Post by youtube_obsessed842 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:34 pm

chloesweb85 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:43 pm
I didn’t even think about how the new YouTube rules will effect channels like Brat.

From what I understand people who make money off of YouTube are making it off of targeted ads. So a channel like brat or brataley will have ads for toys, games, snacks, etc. YouTube can no longer collect info from these channels viewers so companies aren’t going to pay for these “targeted to kids”ads anymore since that won’t be an option. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding?

Billy is ridiculous. Does he think asking 18 year olds about their sex life will keep his channel off YouTube’s kids content radar? What adult would want to be on his channel after seeing this type of content? Both Leblanc parents need to read a book on boundaries.
I pay for youtube premium so I don't exactly know what kinds of ads these family channels have, but there are lots of technicalities to the situation that are kind of above my understanding of youtube... your comment is just one aspect of it. There is an issue surrounding personalized ads vs. contextualized ads. Personalized ads are based on users activity aka ads based on viewing history and aligned with interests. Contextualized ads are based on what the viewer is watching at that time; kind of like how television commercials are placed on specific shows. The FTC is essentially arguing that personalized ads are not okay to show to children without notification to and consent of parents, but apparently contextualized ads are fine to place in front of children without consent. This is where the whole situation gets murky and unclear...there are no specifications on what 'child directed content' actually means, so when creators are forced to comb through and label certain videos as such (which will happen in the near future), some may be missed, causing the FTC to demonetize videos and possibly impose fines. Either way, kids are going to continue to see ads. Part of the problem is that parents knowingly hand over devices to their kids to watch youtube, so technically that should be considered a form of consent and creators shouldn't be penalized for the fact that they are simply making content that happens to be child friendly. If parents educated themselves about the platform and utilized the youtube kids app, it would keep parents in control while also eliminating personal ads...a win win for everyone. If parents don't want advertising at all, they could simply use youtube premium. The way the FTC has chosen to go about it is actually removing parents from the equation instead of involving all parties in the decision. Even with these personalized ads, it's not like youtube creators are able to access a childs information, content them, or harm them in any way. In fact, there are actually benefits to the personalized ads, as they limit mature and inappropriate content. I'm not exactly sure how that last part works, but that is essentially the argument.

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by chloesweb85 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks for the additional information. I’m still not 100% sure how all this will play out.

How would that work with the parents consent? The parent would have to make an account for their kid and put in their personal information in order to target kids which is still the issue, right? I think the other issue was pedo comments all over some of these family channels.

It makes me think of when Clare Crosby’s dad said he didn’t YouTube full time because he didn’t want to depend on his six year old to pay the bills. Any family that is going to have a major financial problem because of this deserves it.

Sure some families seem like good people and care about their kids, but at the end of the day they shouldn’t have put all their eggs in YouTube’s basket.

MindOverNoMatter
Talker
Talker

Post by MindOverNoMatter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:45 pm

I've honestly never been able to wrap my head around families like Bratayley on Youtube. These people are perfectly fine with their own children being the primary source of income in the family. The parents bdon't care about proper education and development as long as they are swimming in ad revenue and sponsorship money.

Most children don't have to deal with taking care of their parents until at least middle age, usually past that. And even then it's not as much financial as it is physical. To put that burden on teenagers and even little kids? It's insane to me.

Return to “Bratayley”