PolandBananasBooks

Post Reply
irritatedonyoutube
Talker
Talker
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 804 times
Been thanked: 191 times

PolandBananasBooks

Post by irritatedonyoutube » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:29 pm

I don't watch her videos like I did when I was younger but I still don't like her personality. The Anti booktubers tag on tumblr has more shit talking about Christine so lets change that :D

User avatar
oh_do_tell
Talker
Talker
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 96 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by oh_do_tell » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 am

She is the only booktuber who I tried to watch and gave up on the first video, after 2 min ... :rofl:
I just don't like when people yell at the camera, all the time, being too fake :roll:

User avatar
BlueGiraffe
Talker
Talker
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:13 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by BlueGiraffe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 am

Well I don't trust any booktuber who stans Cassandra Clare, so I don't trust her opinion on any books whatsover. I also agree that she's loud and annoying and doesn't know how to put on make-up.

However, I have to give her credit for actually putting in a lot of time and effort to write her book.

MsAnthropy
Learner
Learner
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by MsAnthropy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm

BlueGiraffe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 am
Well I don't trust any booktuber who stans Cassandra Clare, so I don't trust her opinion on any books whatsover. I also agree that she's loud and annoying and doesn't know how to put on make-up.

However, I have to give her credit for actually putting in a lot of time and effort to write her book.
Re: her book, I wonder about that honestly. Not that she didn't put a lot of effort into revising, clearly there's video proof she did, but I'm referring to the sheer number of times she revised it. I used to watch her writing videos, and she and her editor must have literally done a dozen or more revisions/rewrites, based on the number of videos where she talks about doing yet another edit. Maybe this is just my perception, but how rough was that book originally, that it required such massive edits?

User avatar
BlueGiraffe
Talker
Talker
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:13 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by BlueGiraffe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm

MsAnthropy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm
BlueGiraffe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 am
Well I don't trust any booktuber who stans Cassandra Clare, so I don't trust her opinion on any books whatsover. I also agree that she's loud and annoying and doesn't know how to put on make-up.

However, I have to give her credit for actually putting in a lot of time and effort to write her book.
Re: her book, I wonder about that honestly. Not that she didn't put a lot of effort into revising, clearly there's video proof she did, but I'm referring to the sheer number of times she revised it. I used to watch her writing videos, and she and her editor must have literally done a dozen or more revisions/rewrites, based on the number of videos where she talks about doing yet another edit. Maybe this is just my perception, but how rough was that book originally, that it required such massive edits?
Better for her and her editor to recognise that her first edits were crap rather than rushing the book and publishing something like Zenith...
I have to admit that I haven't read Christine's book, so I can't subjectively judge whether it's better than Zenith, but from what you see online it looks that way.

HannyFanny94
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by HannyFanny94 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:28 pm

BlueGiraffe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm
MsAnthropy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm
BlueGiraffe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 am
Well I don't trust any booktuber who stans Cassandra Clare, so I don't trust her opinion on any books whatsover. I also agree that she's loud and annoying and doesn't know how to put on make-up.

However, I have to give her credit for actually putting in a lot of time and effort to write her book.
Re: her book, I wonder about that honestly. Not that she didn't put a lot of effort into revising, clearly there's video proof she did, but I'm referring to the sheer number of times she revised it. I used to watch her writing videos, and she and her editor must have literally done a dozen or more revisions/rewrites, based on the number of videos where she talks about doing yet another edit. Maybe this is just my perception, but how rough was that book originally, that it required such massive edits?
Better for her and her editor to recognise that her first edits were crap rather than rushing the book and publishing something like Zenith...
I have to admit that I haven't read Christine's book, so I can't subjectively judge whether it's better than Zenith, but from what you see online it looks that way.

I agree with you on that and unlike Sasha, she made regular writing videos so I can see why more people wanted to read Again But Better unlike Zenith, they felt closer to her book because they were watching the process of her writing it for more than a year and it is a contemporary so it can be a good summer read.
Even though her writing videos are good, I can never stand when she shares her current song that she listens to while writing and then starts singing it. I used to watch almost every video of hers back in 2014/2015, but now I watch her every once in a while because I cannot tolerate her yelling and jumping around anymore.

dovahqueen
Learner
Learner
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by dovahqueen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 pm

I don't think I've ever gotten through more than 30 seconds of any of her videos. Everything about her is obnoxious. Her voice, her words, even her face (not that she can help that).

ja14
Debater
Debater
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:15 pm
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by ja14 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:13 pm

I enjoyed watching her writing vlogs and went to her book tour event. I haven’t completed the book, but what I’ve read isn’t bad. It just really isn’t the type of story I enjoy.

She did do a ton of edits, but I think a lot of those were to lower the word count.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HomuraSama16
Learner
Learner
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by HomuraSama16 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:08 pm

ja14 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:13 pm
I enjoyed watching her writing vlogs and went to her book tour event. I haven’t completed the book, but what I’ve read isn’t bad. It just really isn’t the type of story I enjoy.

She did do a ton of edits, but I think a lot of those were to lower the word count.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you get to meet her? I met her once and she seemed nice.

MsAnthropy
Learner
Learner
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by MsAnthropy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:50 pm

BlueGiraffe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm
MsAnthropy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm
BlueGiraffe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 am
Well I don't trust any booktuber who stans Cassandra Clare, so I don't trust her opinion on any books whatsover. I also agree that she's loud and annoying and doesn't know how to put on make-up.

However, I have to give her credit for actually putting in a lot of time and effort to write her book.
Re: her book, I wonder about that honestly. Not that she didn't put a lot of effort into revising, clearly there's video proof she did, but I'm referring to the sheer number of times she revised it. I used to watch her writing videos, and she and her editor must have literally done a dozen or more revisions/rewrites, based on the number of videos where she talks about doing yet another edit. Maybe this is just my perception, but how rough was that book originally, that it required such massive edits?
Better for her and her editor to recognise that her first edits were crap rather than rushing the book and publishing something like Zenith...
I have to admit that I haven't read Christine's book, so I can't subjectively judge whether it's better than Zenith, but from what you see online it looks that way.
I mean, you're not wrong. Better to edit the hell out of it and get it somewhere in the vicinity of readable than release a steaming pile of crap, but the fact that it needed that much editing in the first place is just telling imo. I mean, I don't think anywhere here is questioning the fact that she got her book deal because of her platform, but if we were, the need for such hefty edits pretty much hammers it home that she got a book deal because of her online following, not her skill as a writer. And after all of those edits, the thing still only has a rating of 3.72 on Goodreads. Better than Zenith's 3.12 (yikes!), but still...

ja14
Debater
Debater
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:15 pm
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by ja14 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:59 pm

HomuraSama16 wrote:
ja14 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:13 pm
I enjoyed watching her writing vlogs and went to her book tour event. I haven’t completed the book, but what I’ve read isn’t bad. It just really isn’t the type of story I enjoy.

She did do a ton of edits, but I think a lot of those were to lower the word count.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you get to meet her? I met her once and she seemed nice.
I did! She is nice and I think she’s genuine. Her personality doesn’t align with everyone, and is sometimes annoying to me, but that’s just who she is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irritatedonyoutube
Talker
Talker
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 804 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by irritatedonyoutube » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:11 pm

THE BAR OF STANDARDS IS SO LOW. We're congratulating someone for putting effort into their job as a writer. I'm not even interested in reading her book bc I feel like it'll be the same as every cutesy YA contemporary novel on the market rn.

irritatedonyoutube
Talker
Talker
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 804 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by irritatedonyoutube » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:29 pm

[/quote=MsAnthropy]

I mean, you're not wrong. Better to edit the hell out of it and get it somewhere in the vicinity of readable than release a steaming pile of crap, but the fact that it needed that much editing in the first place is just telling imo. I mean, I don't think anywhere here is questioning the fact that she got her book deal because of her platform, but if we were, the need for such hefty edits pretty much hammers it home that she got a book deal because of her online following, not her skill as a writer. And after all of those edits, the thing still only has a rating of 3.72 on Goodreads. Better than Zenith's 3.12 (yikes!), but still...

[/quote]

I don't agree that Goodreads rating actually says anything about a book tbh. 3.12 is pretty good for a book that received so much backlash imo

MsAnthropy
Learner
Learner
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by MsAnthropy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:59 pm

irritatedonyoutube wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:29 pm
[/quote=MsAnthropy]

I mean, you're not wrong. Better to edit the hell out of it and get it somewhere in the vicinity of readable than release a steaming pile of crap, but the fact that it needed that much editing in the first place is just telling imo. I mean, I don't think anywhere here is questioning the fact that she got her book deal because of her platform, but if we were, the need for such hefty edits pretty much hammers it home that she got a book deal because of her online following, not her skill as a writer. And after all of those edits, the thing still only has a rating of 3.72 on Goodreads. Better than Zenith's 3.12 (yikes!), but still...
I don't agree that Goodreads rating actually says anything about a book tbh. 3.12 is pretty good for a book that received so much backlash imo
[/quote]

Eh. Everyone with a following like Sasha's is going to have stans to balance out the 1 star reviews, so even with all the criticism, Zenith was never gonna end up in the 1-2 overall star range. I think Goodreads is usually a pretty good barometer for a book's quality, provided the author doesn't already have a platform elsewhere, and is thus guaranteed book sales/approval from fans, à la Sasha or Christine. I mean, Zoella's book got dragged to filth and she's still at like, a 3.4 rating. Once we bring stans into the conversation, the rating is always gonna skew higher than it would otherwise imo. /shrug

gyabou
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:57 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by gyabou » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:37 am

MsAnthropy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:50 pm
BlueGiraffe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm
MsAnthropy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm
BlueGiraffe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:41 am
Well I don't trust any booktuber who stans Cassandra Clare, so I don't trust her opinion on any books whatsover. I also agree that she's loud and annoying and doesn't know how to put on make-up.

However, I have to give her credit for actually putting in a lot of time and effort to write her book.
Re: her book, I wonder about that honestly. Not that she didn't put a lot of effort into revising, clearly there's video proof she did, but I'm referring to the sheer number of times she revised it. I used to watch her writing videos, and she and her editor must have literally done a dozen or more revisions/rewrites, based on the number of videos where she talks about doing yet another edit. Maybe this is just my perception, but how rough was that book originally, that it required such massive edits?
Better for her and her editor to recognise that her first edits were crap rather than rushing the book and publishing something like Zenith...
I have to admit that I haven't read Christine's book, so I can't subjectively judge whether it's better than Zenith, but from what you see online it looks that way.
I mean, you're not wrong. Better to edit the hell out of it and get it somewhere in the vicinity of readable than release a steaming pile of crap, but the fact that it needed that much editing in the first place is just telling imo. I mean, I don't think anywhere here is questioning the fact that she got her book deal because of her platform, but if we were, the need for such hefty edits pretty much hammers it home that she got a book deal because of her online following, not her skill as a writer. And after all of those edits, the thing still only has a rating of 3.72 on Goodreads. Better than Zenith's 3.12 (yikes!), but still...
Nah, most books require a TON of editing. "Writing is rewriting", etc. Plus I believe she got her agent (because of her fame) pretty early in the process, whereas most debut authors would have done more editing before the query process. And I think most of her editing was to lower her astronomic word count.

That said, the book ain't great. I was looking forward to it mainly because I'd seen how much work she'd put into it, but I couldn't get through much of it.

trash4hp
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:27 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by trash4hp » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Unpopular opinion probably but I read both Zenith and Again But Better and thought Zenith was wayyyyy better than ABB.

No biases here either because I didn’t discover booktube until 2018 and by then both Sasha and Christine’s channels turned to trash so I never watched them.

Zenith had its issues but the story itself was entertaining imo, ABB was just straight up annoying and cringey. It pissed me off that ABB also basically glorified children scamming their parents into paying for their study abroad program. Like why are we praising/defending fraud?

User avatar
rissymoon
Learner
Learner
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 am
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by rissymoon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:43 pm

1. Do people still use Tumblr in the year of our Lord 2019. almost 2020? Ugggh I thought it was dead finally. Sigh.

2. Christine's best videos are her skits. I know some people probably find them corny, but they're more entertaining than her sit downs (er, stand ups?) where she yells at the camera about books she's paid to talk about. I wish she'd do more skits, man, as cringy as they can be.
Image

mysteryboo12
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 4:35 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by mysteryboo12 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:04 am

her book being about herself from the username the main character uses and the characteristics they display -_-

She hasn't read a non sponsored book since 2015..

Casse
Talker
Talker
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:56 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by Casse » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Listening to to this woman talk is a lot like listening to your drunken aunt ramble on and on during Christmas dinner. Her voice is grating and I can never comprehend what she's talking about.

MsAnthropy
Learner
Learner
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by MsAnthropy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:27 pm

Casse wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:47 pm
Listening to to this woman talk is a lot like listening to your drunken aunt ramble on and on during Christmas dinner. Her voice is grating and I can never comprehend what she's talking about.
It would help if she didn't maniacally shout every sentence she speaks...

Post Reply

Return to “BookTube”