Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Emma "everything is going down" Hill Rant Thread #2

Post by Sointothis »

meowmeowbeans wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:41 am
The advertising industry has been playing this trick for decades, where a combination of makeup, lighting, angles, and a team of Photoshop retouchers has warped us into thinking perfection is normal and achievable (and you could be too! if you'd just get off the couch and make the six figures to afford it, ya lazy piece of shit!). Emma and her ilk do the same exact thing, shooting 100 photos to get the one that magically hides/shrinks the "wrong" (bad) things and accentuates the "right"(good) ones. The difference is that her platform brings you into her life, so you think she's your aspirational friend, therefore it must all be true. Yes, she posts photos of herself making those horrific faces and her personality speaks for itself...but we're meant to think that is the exception. Our brains are really good at forgetting about those and wanting to believe the posed and polished images are the "good" ones.

So when she posts this manipulative trickery--which isn't even that cunning because you can see she's straining to stand on her tippy-toes and twist her waist around just so-- she has some nerve to clap back with this sanctimonious bs about "not discussing her weight." YOU ARE DELIBERATELY PRESENTING YOURSELF IN THIS WAY. In theory, I agree with her points that we all just need to stop thinking about weight period, especially other peoples', but I also understand that it is deeply ingrained in our collective psyche. Plus, this is the internet. People are gonna ask intrusive questions. She is the last person I need to be lecturing me about self-acceptance, body neutrality/positivity, or tearing down the patriarchy. If she has to respond, why can't she be real about it? Say that you have certain angles and poses that makes you look better, or that you've been going heavy on the self-tanner to make your limbs look thinner (YES, we noticed). Don't sneer at the people you are deliberately hoodwinking and then perpetuate their delusions by letting them assume you always look like that.

Long story short: stop being so rude, Emma.
This. This was great.

melindagomez
Informer
Informer

Post by melindagomez »

She probably did a photoshop nip and tuck of her waist and then was called out by a few people asking her if she lost weight. So she lashed out.

samy button
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by samy button »

Emma’s “career” really surprises me.
This woman’s content is irrelevant, her style forgettable and repetitive and her house decor atrocious. This really shows that you don’t need to work hard or have a particular talent to have a “place” in this industry.

AlexanderTeAmo
Talker
Talker

Post by AlexanderTeAmo »

Ya, Emma is a con artist. Now on instagram she "paints", she "reads books" LOL she's a disgusting liar. Her latest posts on instagram are so basic and fake. Gullible people make people like Emma exist.

melindagomez
Informer
Informer

Post by melindagomez »

Her style is so basic which would make sense if she was an actual minimalist. But she's not, she's an extreme hoarder of the same items over and over. And any sense of elevation in her outfits comes from the 30 expensive handbags she owns which she can't really show off right now.

I cannot imagine a house with that many Disney prints but at least that is the one way they show their personality. Through a huge corporation with a pretty sinister history and policies. But it's the ::MAGIC:: that some people feel.

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

She posted that she just saw Peter Pan for the first time and now it's her favorite Disney movie. Peter Pan is definitely one of the top "problematic" classic Disney films (along with Dumbo and Lady & the Tramp, just off the top of my head) for its insensitive and racist portrayal of minorities. Disney even apparently put disclaimers on these films on Disney+ (which makes me wonder if EVERY film in their archive has one). I can understand having mixed feelings about the films if you grew up with them, but Emma hadn't seen it before, so she's entering with a 21st-century mindset and apparently didn't think anything was wrong with it.

Regarding the abundance of Disney prints... it's the Emma pattern. Get into a thing and BUY ALL of it. It's how she ended up with a closetful of blazers and a house full of gray walls and rattan furniture. It makes her happy, but it's tacky as sin.

samy button
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by samy button »

AlexanderTeAmo wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:45 am
Ya, Emma is a con artist. Now on instagram she "paints", she "reads books" LOL she's a disgusting liar. Her latest posts on instagram are so basic and fake. Gullible people make people like Emma exist.

I know. It is hilarious. Paiting and reading 🤣

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

AlexanderTeAmo wrote:
I know right? She used to bring up all the time how she doesn't like to read and she prefers to watch tv or listen to audio books, so now suddenly she LOVES reading?? Nothing wrong with trying to get into reading but for someone who was so anti reading she now acts like she just reads all the time what??

And the painting thing "I prefer not to use brushes" blah blah blah. Where has her other "artwork" gone? Was this something she did when she was 14 and decided to do it again? It doesn't mean it was your hobby if you did it for a month more than half your life ago. I think she's just trying to play off herself as being more interesting than it really is. Fine if you want to try new hobbies but don't go bragging like you've always done this. Be honest "hey I took a class 20 years ago and I enjoyed it so I figured I would try this to give me some purpose during lock down"

It is all about her delivery that pisses me off

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

drasticactions wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 am
AlexanderTeAmo wrote:
I know right? She used to bring up all the time how she doesn't like to read and she prefers to watch tv or listen to audio books, so now suddenly she LOVES reading?? Nothing wrong with trying to get into reading but for someone who was so anti reading she now acts like she just reads all the time what??

And the painting thing "I prefer not to use brushes" blah blah blah. Where has her other "artwork" gone? Was this something she did when she was 14 and decided to do it again? It doesn't mean it was your hobby if you did it for a month more than half your life ago. I think she's just trying to play off herself as being more interesting than it really is. Fine if you want to try new hobbies but don't go bragging like you've always done this. Be honest "hey I took a class 20 years ago and I enjoyed it so I figured I would try this to give me some purpose during lock down"

It is all about her delivery that pisses me off
Exactly!!!
This exact behaviour was the turning point that turned me off as a viewer- when she did an abrupt about face and harped on about sustainability as though she is some kind of expert- just a short time after posting her massive Zara (etc) hauls. It really is a pattern of behaviour with her- same thing with the London marathon last year- lie about training (on soooo many occasions when she was asked about her progress!), dramatically disappear off social media, then suddenly re-emerge with content about how she is soooo amazing and completed the marathon without training... suddenly also an expert on mid century modern and furniture and interior design...Somehow I just find her delivery patronising (to be fair this may not be her intention, but others may agree/disagree).
Sorry to rehash old subjects (not like she's really produced any new content lately lol) but I just watched that Stacey Dooley documentary which featured Emma and she just annoyed me all over again haha!

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

She's being passive aggressive in the comments about her weight again, and they are all meant kindly (it is kind of an inappropriate question no matter how you Mean it) from what I can see they are telling her she's looking good/toned/ slim what not. Makes me wonder if maybe she used to have an ED and these comments are triggering to her?

When I get super unhealthly stressed I lose weight. (I see a therapist and what not now, so that doesn't happen like it used to me) And I would get comments after big changes in my life that would make me too sick to eat. Some people would say "oh how do you stay so tiny" or "wow you must be working out a lot" and I'd be honest and say "my anxiety/panic disorder is really bad right now so I physically can't eat" and that would get people to back off. I've found when you are honest with people about that stuff they respect your boundaries more and when they notice you gained the 5-10 lbs or whatever you lost they'll be more excited for you knowing what a struggle it was.

The way she's so prickly about everything makes me wonder if something else is going on? Or maybe she is trying to lose a little weight and just doesn't want attention drawn to it bc she doesn't want people commenting "you didn't need to lose weight" or what not? I know the tone of how people ask makes a huge difference when I was 18 and had a lot of stress I had a stranger on the street tell me I needed to eat a pizza! I was pretty hurt by that bci really wanted to eat but it made me feel sick!

If Emma was getting those comments then I'd understand her being pissy but it doesn't seem like she is. If she was just honest and said hey I might look diff bc of x y z please don't comment about it, it bothers me.

OR maybe she went for cool sculpt and can't talk about it before her video comes out?

The fact that she hasn't said "my weight is the same" is telling too.

Either way I'm very suspicious now

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

drasticactions wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:33 am
She's being passive aggressive in the comments about her weight again, and they are all meant kindly (it is kind of an inappropriate question no matter how you Mean it) from what I can see they are telling her she's looking good/toned/ slim what not. Makes me wonder if maybe she used to have an ED and these comments are triggering to her?
Are you referring to this comment:
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 11.14.31 AM.png
We can speculate all we want, but at the end of the day, it's totally her right to not want her weight/body being the topic of conversation. We already know she's uncomfortable in her body (her increasingly middle-aged mom style and experiment with Botox are pretty clear indicators of that), and abruptly shutting down the conversation is probably how she deals with most of the difficult or unpleasant things in her life, sadly.

That said, THIS comment made me :roll: :
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 11.12.11 AM.png
It's been a month since she put out any content on Youtube, and now she's saying it's in the name of "mental health." Sorry, I don't buy it. I can't stand how she's treating mental health as a get-out-of-jail-free card. Everyone is struggling right now, in many different ways, but we still have responsibilities.

Other influencers may have slowed down their output, but have managed to not stop completely. I follow Alexa Chung's brand on Youtube (I know, she is in a whole other league from Emma, but stay with me here), and she doesn't NEED to keep putting out videos, but she still does. Presumably because she is bored, and also because she knows it's important for her brand. She can't attend the Met Gala, so she had video calls with some interesting designers. She can't get her hair done, so she filmed a how-to with her hairdresser over video conference. Another fashion blogger I like, Jamie-Lee from Mademoiselle, still posts outfit and fashion videos, and vlogging isn't even her full time job (AND she just had a baby!). Of course, Emma has no friends to create content with, but the point is that other folks have figured out something that still works. They planned carefully, and they got creative. This isn't an extended vacation! I sincerely doubt Emma is using this time to do the hard work on herself that she desperately needs.

ETA (on an already long rant): One of the things I admired about her channel when I started following it was her professionalism. She and Simon seemed to have a good work ethic, and were very upfront about their uploading schedule and trying out new things for her viewers. What the hell happened?? I really think if coming up with a contingency plan for her business is too much to handle, she's in the wrong career.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

^I definitely agree it isn't a get out of jail free card and she's treating it like it is. Lots of us are struggling and have mental health issues even people who don't are struggling right now she seems to think she's extra special? I was admiring how she put out extra content at the start of this but plenty of other YouTubers are still putting something out. I think what bugs me is her half in half out view of it.

Either tell everyone you are taking a break during lockdown or just go on more or less like normal. I think all the insta posting and insta stories just make it seem even more like she just can't bother. At least to me there is a disconnect between "oh this is for my mental health" but she's still uploading on social media something that a lot fo people cite as being bad for their mental health.

Since she's been into being "sustainable" she could do videos using what she already owns and would be handy for people who can't afford new stuff but still want ideas of what to wear the one day they go to the grocery store or whatever

Post by Guest »

You have all expressed what I'm feeling more eloquently than I could have done.
I've lost all respect for her due to her attitude right now. I'm so turned off that I will not even be hate-watching her whenever she randomly deigns a return.

How exactly she is pinning her choices on her mental health struggles? She's lounging, watching Disney, sitting in her garden and essentially enjoying a holiday at home. Does she not understand just how tone-deaf she is being?

Heck, even if she was struggling with anxiety, or feeling creatively blocked, or having marriage problems, or lost a bunch of weight from stress...there is a professional way to address the break from her content schedule. You don't just put up the random bitchy comment and then expect people to lick your shoes and swipe up.

Man, this side of her is really unexpected and just so unnecessarily rude. I can't understand why she thinks this is a suitable way to behave. Life's too short for bitter and obnoxious people. She really could have been a caring and supportive voice during this time but she's chosen to be the opposite.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

I see she's also gone back to not tagging her outfits, and directing people to the (affiliate) link in bio... clearly everyone needs to try and maintain income streams, but also we know how irritated and rude she'll get when people ask where items are from in the comments! Haha.

And much like yourself @2xblended I actually stopped watching awhile ago, can't even be bothered to hate watch!

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis »

What is the point of her content anymore? How many more posts of her dogs and Photoshopped neck will she subject her followers to?

I’m really surprised she’s not even trying to create content - a lookbook or ways to style what you already have, something. She’s repped by Gleam; do they not mind that their “talent” is just sitting outside listening to podcasts. I can go to my employer and say “yes, I’m depressed, I’m on medication, but I can promise I will do my best to not have it affect my productivity because I value my job and the company I work for.” By sending people to her blog who then are forced to use her affliate links to find out where products are from is the epitome of lazy influencing. The work was already done and she’s just sitting back doing what looks like nothing. No wonder she’s so smug on IG and in her responses to followers.

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

Poopettemetis wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:12 am
What is the point of her content anymore? How many more posts of her dogs and Photoshopped neck will she subject her followers to?

I’m really surprised she’s not even trying to create content - a lookbook or ways to style what you already have, something. She’s repped by Gleam; do they not mind that their “talent” is just sitting outside listening to podcasts. I can go to my employer and say “yes, I’m depressed, I’m on medication, but I can promise I will do my best to not have it affect my productivity because I value my job and the company I work for.” By sending people to her blog who then are forced to use her affliate links to find out where products are from is the epitome of lazy influencing. The work was already done and she’s just sitting back doing what looks like nothing. No wonder she’s so smug on IG and in her responses to followers.
Right? How many selfies do we need? At least before her selfies were selling us shit but now it is just her looking smug in her back garden. What is the point?

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

Speaking of Gleam, here's a shot of their roster from their website. It's pretty telling, isn't it?
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 9.06.55 AM.png
I'm assuming Gleam asked each blogger to provide their own headshot, because otherwise, I don't understand how anyone on their marketing team would choose this one. It sticks out like sore thumb: Gloomy lighting, looking down, not smiling, clutching her bag, big sunglasses covering her face... Emma just looks like someone who wants to hide from the world.

Also, can anyone tell me why she never posts photos of herself smiling with her teeth showing? Her teeth aren't that bad (at least the upper ones). All these pursed-lipped smiles look so forced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

meowmeowbeans wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:16 am

Also, can anyone tell me why she never posts photos of herself smiling with her teeth showing? Her teeth aren't that bad (at least the upper ones). All these pursed-lipped smiles look so forced.
Probably because she thinks it's "fashion".
In some of her very early pics she smiles and looks genuinely happy (in some of the pics she uses as examples of her fashion mistakes) , but at some point she's decided that colour, personality and smiling just isn't in style anymore.

Post by Guest »

Part of my issue with her labeling her quarantine holiday a necessity for her "mental health" is that she's invalidating everyone with actual anxiety and mental health struggles. She is not suffering from anxiety right now. I know she had a video talking about her struggles a couple of years ago, but she has not indicated any actual issue since. From what she has been showing, this is just a convenient smoke screen for her laziness.
It is the same as her greenwashing with her sustainability content and thrifting efforts, when she was clearly engaging in contradictory behaviours that undid the very principle of sustainable fashion.
Don't hide behind a label that does not apply to you. You are doing a major disservice to people who actually suffer from anxiety.
I get angrier about her as the days go on.

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

You are so right. If you read her comments to people inquiring about how she's doing, she says things like "All good here <3" and "Mental health comes before videos." Which I infer as, she's fine and avoiding work because filming a video about clothes and shoes could be her psychological downfall. Her world will come tumbling down if she does a round up of the names she's given her luxury bags. :roll:

Not only is she making light of mental health, she's positioning her actions as absolved of any kind of consequence. Many people have lost/will lose their jobs because of COVID-19, and lots of them won't have jobs again for a long, long time. But Emma knows her stupid job will still be there. Once shelter in place lifts, she can just hop right back in, tanned and rested after her extended vacation, and carry on as usual.

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”