Gaston Dope Fletcher and the Gobful of Ire #thrilled #cakegate #protectmiles - Part 18

delightfuldebutante
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gaston Dope Fletcher and the Gobful of Ire #thrilled #cakegate #protectmiles - Part 18

Post by delightfuldebutante »

laylee wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:58 am
kindly wrote:
delightfuldebutante wrote: Musings:

1. It's cute how she responds to reading here by immediately posting instagrams she thinks "fight the haterz" ...
2. I almost felt sorry for her in the vlog. She seemed lonely and like the person at the party no one actually wants to talk to so they hide in the kitchen with the Mum - Rob Houchens has no time for her whatsoever.
2b. The note from Oliver was sweet. Sharing it was a bit desperate.
3. I'm almost excited for the day a blog post arrives that she has proof read and isn't dotted with mistakes.
4. Begging for freebies from Nespresso and then complaining the one you have doesn't work when they don't send you one makes you look spoiled.
5. Michael Ball is still at 92000 followers people - why aren't you doing your thing?
6. She is sad about her weight. I don't care what she says. I can see that it is making her sad.
What makes you think that Carrie is sad about her weight? Was it something in her latest vlog?
Not OP but I think she’s sad about her weight because in her Les Mis Insta post all her Eponine photos were from far away and then her Fantine one was an extreme close up where you can’t see how chubby she’s become
An empathy thing I think - her body language, her tone, her language choices.

Asetac1814
Learner
Learner

Re: Gaston Dope Fletcher and the Gobful of Ire #thrilled #cakegate #protectmiles - Part 18

Post by Asetac1814 »

Helianthus1567 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:26 am
Asetac1814 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:10 am
Helianthus1567 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:20 am
Agreed but then how far can you take that?
It would be very easy to say, like Ellie Goulding did a few years ago, 'I'm a vegan so whenever I take a long-haul flight, my carbon emissions are already offset/neutralised'. If I haven't eaten any meat or dairy in a month, can I be assuaged of my guilt for buying a coffee in a paper cup with a plastic lid? If I refuse to travel anywhere by plane, can I still eat meat and dairy? If I stop buying plastic bottles and replace them all with glass, can I drive a car?
It's very sanctimonious to say people can't criticise someone for creating a huge amount of waste, whether it's plastic waste or not, because of their dietary preferences. For all I know, you eat quinoa and bananas and nutella but you couldn't care less about the environmental and socio-economic impacts of all those products. We're all having a pretty shameful impact on the planet just by existing and breathing. If we're all doing a little bit that's fine. If you start pointing at people and saying 'whatever you do won't be enough because you eat meat and dairy', you're not going to make them become vegan, they're just going to stop doing anything because, like you said 'it makes no difference'.
I do agree with some of your points. But then following your argument and logic we shouldn’t be picking fault at Carrie for her Nespresso pods, she may be doing other things we aren’t to reduce her footprint so who are we here to criticise her for one of the things she isn’t doing? (For example I don’t think she drives which a lot of us on here probably do, she always seems to walk or use public transport).

I used the meat and dairy example because the experts in climate change and environmental impact are all saying that the single most effective thing a person can do to reduce their environmental impact is stop eating meat and dairy. The facts back this claim up. I was using it as an example as it’s something most people do that is far more impactful than a lot of the things they might criticise someone else for doing.
It’s a really easy change we could all make but many just choose not to because they value their taste buds more than the planet. If people aren’t prepared to make the most effective change they can then they shouldn’t criticise others for small things.
Personally, I wasn't picking on Carrie for using pods, I was commenting on her repeated begging for freebies. But I understand why others would for reasons that have been stated. She's got her keepcup, she uses public transport for the most part. That's good enough for me.
I understand that giving up meat and dairy may well be the 'most impactful' thing a person can do, but thinking of socio-economic impacts, I'm not prepared to encourage this as it could put several hundred thousand farmers out of work, plus if they go out of work, those animals are going to have to be killed anyway, so.........
I'm also hesitant about the whole climate stuff anyway (I'm in no way a climate change denier) because people will not address the key issue at the heart of the matter which is a rampant uncontrolled global human population that is showing no signs of slowing. You've given up meat and dairy. Fair enough. But you could decide to have 6 kids which would have far more impact on the planet than say me or someone else who's made a conscious decision to never have children for whatever reason eating meat and cheese once or twice a week.
I do think a lot of people eat too much meat, but rather than telling people it's forbidden (forbidden fruit is always so much sweeter) how about we encourage them to eat less meat and cheese for their own health as well as that of the planet? And at the same time we could encourage people to maybe only have 1 or 2 kids maximum for the same reasons?
The world isn't going to stop eating animal products overnight, so your social-economic concerns aren't all that relevant. It would be a gradual change whereby we breed less and less animals for food so killing would obviously be drastically reduced. There would also be ample time for people working in animal agriculture so find new lines of work or, most likely, simply transition to arable farming.

I would agree on the human population thing, although reducing the population of the world at this stage would be incredibly difficult, or more likely, impossible. Stopping eating meat we can do now, today, if we want to. I think the reason the experts are focusing so much on this is because its the biggest change that we can realistically do, we don't need meat or dairy so its really unnecessary damage to our planet that we can begin to rectify if people made the changes they need to.

I think the eating less meat thing would obviously make some difference but its a bit half-baked effort, animal agriculture causes so much harm, why just do 'some' harm or 'less harm' when we can stop it completely. Imagine peoples reactions if Carries response to people criticising her coffee pods was "I only use them somtimes' or 'I only use them on matinee days". But for now it is a good thing to encourage to people who aren't open to giving it up completely.

I think this will be my last reply on this matter as I fear we have strayed quite far off-topic and this is barely about Carrie anymore, happy to continue the conversation in DMs if you'd like tough :)

(Also, if I ever have children, which probably isn't likely, I will adopt, and one of those reasons is because of my population and environmental concerns. It's something I'm very passionate about if you hadn't guessed!)
Last edited by Asetac1814 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sun_and_stars
Debater
Debater

Post by sun_and_stars »

now correct me if i’m wrong but surely the front page of a book should have the title on it??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Asetac1814
Learner
Learner

Post by Asetac1814 »

sun_and_stars wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 am
now correct me if i’m wrong but surely the front page of a book should have the title on it??
If that's the final cover then thats a really strange decision.

Helianthus1567
Informer
Informer

Post by Helianthus1567 »

We need a new thread title, people!

Helianthus1567
Informer
Informer

Post by Helianthus1567 »

Asetac1814 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:46 am
sun_and_stars wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 am
If that's the final cover then thats a really strange decision.
That's a proof copy (hopefully someone's actually proofreading it!) that's only a rough idea of what it's going to look like.
But if that's how she wants it and the title only appears on the spine then, yes, that is super odd!

mollycastle12
Talker
Talker

Post by mollycastle12 »

Asetac1814 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:05 am
mollycastle12 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:44 am
Asetac1814 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:22 am
mollycastle12 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:34 pm
I get angry at anyone who still uses a nespresso machine. I don't care if the pods are "recycled", something I'm skeptical about anyway. We should be working to reduce our reliance on plastic in all circumstances. And coffee pods are one of the stupidest uses of plastic. For the same price you can get a huge bag of beans and make a cafetiere or even get a mini coffee machine.... It's more cost effective and isn't adding unnecessary strain to the environment.

I'm glad she's not got one gifted but I still take issue with it.
Whilst I agree in general about pod machines, Nespresso is the best by for from a recycling perspective. I guess you don’t know this based on your plastic comments, but nespresso capsules are aluminium and contain no plastic at all.
If recycled the aluminium is melted down and re-used and the coffee grounds are used as fertiliser so they are a lot better than other pod coffee machines that use plastic.
It's not just the plastics that bother me. It's the whole process. The amount of energy and resources required to melt down the aluminium, the litres and litres of water required to separate the grounds from the pods and why? For convenience. Coffee pods are some of the stupidest forms of waste imo. Even if you're pure lazy and don't want to mess with beans, use instant. I've yet to have a nespresso or pod based coffee that tastes much better than instant anyway... Carrie claims to be a "coffee snob" in her stupid post about what a flat white should be... Can't be that much of a coffee snob if she's drinking nespresso but then 1. I'm super into my coffee to the extent where I have experimented with roasting my own beans in the past and 2. I really, really try to minimise my environmental impact, including water waste, chemical use, plastic etc.
I agree completely, my post was aimed to correct the statement that they were plastic as that was false information, so I just wanted to point out Nespresso ones are at least more recylclable then other brands. Im not defending the use of them as they are still an unnecessary waste.

To be honest I hope you and the others criticising Carrie for using Nespresso pods don't eat meat or dairy. Because the environmental footprint and water usage etc of animal products is massive and far more impactful than using aluminium coffee pods which are at least recyclable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Carrie here, its clear she doesn't give a crap about her environmental footprint, but neither does anyone who eats meat and dairy. Its hypocritical to criticise others for doing something un-enviromentally friendly when you choose to do something worse yourself. (This isn't directly aimed at you, for all I know you don't eat meat and dairy but I doubt everyone criticising Carrie for the use of coffee pods is the same).
We'll end up too far off topic if I gave my full response to this tbh. But I find the "vegetarian/vegan is better for the environment" opinion laughable in 90% of cases. Again generalising and you may fully research and make informed choices but many people don't. They just know "meat and dairy bad"
In the case of coffee it's really too easy to be environmentally concious. Even in the case of meat, its easy to choose locally sourced meat over that which has been transported miles and miles
Veg is actually harder, do people pay attention to whether what they're eating is in season? How far it's had to be shipped? Whether its actually culturally damaging as well as environmentally damaging? (see impact of Western quinao sales on South American diets)

So yeah, I'll shit on Carrie for her coffee choices because that is one of the simplest changes to make to be greener. I won't judge her for her clothing choices (dyed denim uses gallons of water and contaminates water ways for example) or her choice to eat meat or otherwise. Those are actually examples of habits that take real effort to be more concious of, require active research, can have a Time cost and a financial cost. Choosing not to drink coffee in a wasteful way is such low effort and leads to nicer coffee... And is cheaper.

Asetac1814
Learner
Learner

Post by Asetac1814 »

mollycastle12 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:16 am
Asetac1814 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:05 am
mollycastle12 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:44 am
Asetac1814 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:22 am
mollycastle12 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:34 pm
I get angry at anyone who still uses a nespresso machine. I don't care if the pods are "recycled", something I'm skeptical about anyway. We should be working to reduce our reliance on plastic in all circumstances. And coffee pods are one of the stupidest uses of plastic. For the same price you can get a huge bag of beans and make a cafetiere or even get a mini coffee machine.... It's more cost effective and isn't adding unnecessary strain to the environment.

I'm glad she's not got one gifted but I still take issue with it.
Whilst I agree in general about pod machines, Nespresso is the best by for from a recycling perspective. I guess you don’t know this based on your plastic comments, but nespresso capsules are aluminium and contain no plastic at all.
If recycled the aluminium is melted down and re-used and the coffee grounds are used as fertiliser so they are a lot better than other pod coffee machines that use plastic.
It's not just the plastics that bother me. It's the whole process. The amount of energy and resources required to melt down the aluminium, the litres and litres of water required to separate the grounds from the pods and why? For convenience. Coffee pods are some of the stupidest forms of waste imo. Even if you're pure lazy and don't want to mess with beans, use instant. I've yet to have a nespresso or pod based coffee that tastes much better than instant anyway... Carrie claims to be a "coffee snob" in her stupid post about what a flat white should be... Can't be that much of a coffee snob if she's drinking nespresso but then 1. I'm super into my coffee to the extent where I have experimented with roasting my own beans in the past and 2. I really, really try to minimise my environmental impact, including water waste, chemical use, plastic etc.
I agree completely, my post was aimed to correct the statement that they were plastic as that was false information, so I just wanted to point out Nespresso ones are at least more recylclable then other brands. Im not defending the use of them as they are still an unnecessary waste.

To be honest I hope you and the others criticising Carrie for using Nespresso pods don't eat meat or dairy. Because the environmental footprint and water usage etc of animal products is massive and far more impactful than using aluminium coffee pods which are at least recyclable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Carrie here, its clear she doesn't give a crap about her environmental footprint, but neither does anyone who eats meat and dairy. Its hypocritical to criticise others for doing something un-enviromentally friendly when you choose to do something worse yourself. (This isn't directly aimed at you, for all I know you don't eat meat and dairy but I doubt everyone criticising Carrie for the use of coffee pods is the same).
We'll end up too far off topic if I gave my full response to this tbh. But I find the "vegetarian/vegan is better for the environment" opinion laughable in 90% of cases. Again generalising and you may fully research and make informed choices but many people don't. They just know "meat and dairy bad"
In the case of coffee it's really too easy to be environmentally concious. Even in the case of meat, its easy to choose locally sourced meat over that which has been transported miles and miles
Veg is actually harder, do people pay attention to whether what they're eating is in season? How far it's had to be shipped? Whether its actually culturally damaging as well as environmentally damaging? (see impact of Western quinao sales on South American diets)

So yeah, I'll shit on Carrie for her coffee choices because that is one of the simplest changes to make to be greener. I won't judge her for her clothing choices (dyed denim uses gallons of water and contaminates water ways for example) or her choice to eat meat or otherwise. Those are actually examples of habits that take real effort to be more concious of, require active research, can have a Time cost and a financial cost. Choosing not to drink coffee in a wasteful way is such low effort and leads to nicer coffee... And is cheaper.
You might find it laughable but it’s scientifically and research backed and proven, so you can laugh all you want but it doesn’t stop it being true.

Your comments are also way off which shows you don’t know much about the issue at all. The environmental impact of animal agriculture has next to nothing to do with transportation. It’s the greenhouse gas emissions and water usage that are the 2 big ones. Buying locally makes very little difference on that side of things at all.

Supporting the meat and dairy industrious is an awful environmental decision (and ethical but that’s a different argument all together). That is a proven fact, not an opinion. If people want to shit on Carrie for her dietary choices than that’s their prerogative, but if those people are actively supporting and funding one of the worst industries for our planet for their diet then it is a pot calling the kettle black situation.

delightfuldebutante
Debater
Debater

Carrie "can't cope" Fletcher and the Order of Handouts?
Carrie "can't dance, don't ask me" Rotter and the deathly hellos?

Helianthus1567
Informer
Informer

Post by Helianthus1567 »

Carrie Downward Slope Fletcher and the Order of free Ole & Steen and Coffee Machine!
Carrie Nope Fletcher and the Order of all women everywhere to stay away from Poompkin
Carrie Nope Fletcher and the Order of the corner desk by the window
Carrie Trope Fletcher and the Order of my editor to keep their suggestions to themselves

delightfuldebutante
Debater
Debater

Carrie Nopespresso Fletcher: fantastic freebies and where to find them

sun_and_stars
Debater
Debater

Post by sun_and_stars »

i love any one that ends with ‘the Order of the Freebies’ it’s so perfect😂 #gifted

Asetac1814
Learner
Learner

Post by Asetac1814 »

I love fantastic freebies and where to find them 😂

Remember the story about how she hung around until the end of the party at the Aladdin premiere to try and take a throw off someone.

Helianthus1567
Informer
Informer

Post by Helianthus1567 »

Nopespresso Fletcher is just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrie Nopespresso Fletcher and the Order of my free throw!

delightfuldebutante
Debater
Debater

Helianthus1567 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:12 am

… Why thank you kindly :)

Carrie Nopespresso Fletcher and the Order of fantastic freebies and where to find them?

Helianthus1567
Informer
Informer

Post by Helianthus1567 »

delightfuldebutante wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 am
Helianthus1567 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:12 am

… Why thank you kindly :)

Carrie Nopespresso Fletcher and the Order of fantastic freebies and where to find them?
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!

Ding ding ding!
We have a winner!

xheadstrongx
Lurker
Lurker

Post by xheadstrongx »

Thought this was a Carrie thread, not a thread to moan about people who aren't vegan :roll:

haileygarlix
Lurker
Lurker

Post by haileygarlix »

xheadstrongx wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:28 am
Thought this was a Carrie thread, not a thread to moan about people who aren't vegan :roll:
^^^
THIS. Let's stop that, please

delightfuldebutante
Debater
Debater

haileygarlix wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:48 am
xheadstrongx wrote:
^^^
THIS. Let's stop that, please
I thought it had sort of petered out?

If you could ask Carrie anything and she couldn’t lie in her answer, what would you ask?

I’d ask her if she had changed her mind about not thinking uni or training was necessary.

Asetac1814
Learner
Learner

Post by Asetac1814 »

xheadstrongx wrote:
Actually if you read the conversation you would have seen it 1) was about Carrie and 2) wasn't me moaning about people not being Vegan. Quite the opposite actually as the point I was making is that we shouldn't moan about what people are or are not doing in regards to the environment because we could all easily do more to help/reduce our environmental footprint. I was telling people NOT to moan about other people in regards to that topic. Its a 'people in glass houses' situation. I was just trying to highlight that the comments about Carrie and her Nespresso machine were a bit unfair and hypocritical.

Return to “Carrie Hope Fletcher”