Madison Beer

xxkittycatgirlxx
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Madison Beer

Post by xxkittycatgirlxx »

Not sure why she doesn't have a thread, she's supper shady.

Re: Madison Beer

Post by Guest »

xxkittycatgirlxx wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:11 pm
Not sure why she doesn't have a thread, she's supper shady.
I know I want the goss!

babv
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by babv »

we should make this thread active again no one ever comes here to spill anything ab her. let’s discuss pls !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouNeedToLogOut
Informer
Informer

Post by YouNeedToLogOut »

Omg I want this thread to be active. She’s super annoying lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwhiteley6
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by bwhiteley6 »

following!!!!!

crossroads2727
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by crossroads2727 »

Following

blackcrusade96
Learner
Learner

Post by blackcrusade96 »

I came across this topic when it was first created last year, but never intended to post anything until the recent controversies Madison got herself into with the BLM protests and Lolita.

Before I start, I would like to clarify a few things to avoid any misunderstandings:

1. I am not American, was not born in the US and has never travelled to the US in my life. I follow several American celebs/YouTubers because of the entertainment they provide. The reason why I'm bringing this up is because some of the controversies surrounding Madison involve social issues in the US such as the significance of the N word, as well as the ongoing BLM protests. If you feel like I have underestimated or misunderstood the standpoints over these social issues, feel free to reply below.

2. I am sort of a fan of Madison Beer, and have been following her social media and music for over a year now. However, there are things that I do dislike about her, which include some of the controversies that are discussed in the later paragraphs. I know that I may be more biased towards her with regards to certain controversies she's in, but I strive to be as objective as possible about her scandals in this post. If there are any details of her controversies that I left out or got wrong, feel free to reply below.

Now, I'll briefly talk about how I discovered Madison Beer last year to set the preface of what I like/dislike about her and how I feel about her music, looks and talent. (Skip to subsequent paragraphs for my opinions on her individual controversies).

Discovery

I discovered Madison Beer through the Genius interviews she did in 2018/19 (not the most recent one for Selfish), when she talked about her songs, "Home With You" and "Hurts Like Hell." Initially, I did think that she is just as bad at singing as some of the other infamous artists Genius interviewed around that period of time (Gabbie Hanna, Lele Pons, Jacob Sartorius, Backpack Kid & in particular, Loren Gray).

The reason I compared her with Loren Gray is due to Loren being involved in similar controversies as Madison (i.e. plastic surgery allegations, editing/Photoshop their photos to enhance their "natural" looks, comments about her looking like a Barbie etc.). To my surprise, I didn't see as much hate directed towards Madison in contrast to Loren at the time despite their similarities. Commentary channels like Ryan Trahan and BionicPIG dug their heads into critiquing Loren Gray's Genius interview, but none of them went after Madison. On the contrary, there was even a video about decent Genius interviews that included Madison singing Home With You in the 2018 interview. This spurred me to check out more of her music from her first EP in 2018, "As She Pleases", where the songs were surprisingly decent in contrast to Loren Gray.

Her multiple interviews with the Zach Sang Show since the early days of 2014 was what led me to compare Madison with another popular singer, Sabrina Carpenter, who also went on the Zach Sang Show twice to promote her album Singular. Both of them had similar banter on the show with one of the hosts, Dan Zolot (albeit kind of creepy), which drew me to their similarities. Madison and Sabrina are similar in terms of their following (both have millions of followers/music streams but are still relative in popularity), the interviews/events they attended, their age (both are currently 21) & their level of attractiveness (based on comments on their social media posts praising how "perfect" both celebs are).

In terms of musical talent, there have been comparisons between Madison and other artists, including Sabrina and Maggie Lindemann (who Madison has beef with), which did make Madison more inferior in her vocal ability compared to the rest. Nevertheless, I do feel that she has improved slightly after As She Pleases, and got even better moving into her upcoming album, Life Support.

To end off this section, I was aware of some of the controversies she was involved in since I started being a fan of hers last year, some of which were discussed on the Zach Sang Show, which included lies about her breakup with Jack Gilinsky and plastic surgery allegations. Nevertheless, I was willing to look past these controversies and give her a chance since she was younger at the time when they happened.

Now, moving on to my views on her controversies. All controversies will be discussed except the one involving Jack Gilinsky, which I feel is their private matter and I don't feel comfortable probing too much into. Do let me know if you have a different opinion on the Jack G controversy.

The controversies discussed include (from oldest to newest):
1. Discovery by Justin Bieber
2. Plastic surgery allegations
3. Dispute with Maggie Lindemann over Kesha allegations of Dr. Luke
4. Ricegum diss track
5. Saying the N word / making racially sensitive remarks
6. BLM response / photoshoot
7. Her favourite book, "Lolita"
8. Plastic surgery salon

Controversy #1: Justin Bieber

The rise of Madison Beer to fame, based on her interviews, was due to Justin Bieber discovering her YouTube cover of "At Last" by Etta James, which led to her being signed to Scooter Braun's label, who also managed JB. It was later exposed that Madison was lying about JB "discovering" her, as there were pictures of Madison's family with JB, which indicated that they could have been acquainted with JB prior to the "At Last" cover.

My Take: I'm unsure if the pictures that exposed Madison were legit (feel free to correct me). Nevertheless, it is undeniably shady if Madison indeed became famous because of her family's ties with JB. However, my view is that the entertainment industry is a dirty business, where many celebs did use their connections with existing celebs to get into the industry. Madison may have lied about it, but she is far from the only one that has done it. Another notable e.g. of celebs using connections to get into the industry is Billie Eilish, who has been accused of being an "industry plant" by many as her parents were small time actors in several TV shows. While it is unfair to celebs who have to work their way up to fame step by step, my belief is that it's just how the industry is, and there's little that can be done about it.

Controversy #2: Plastic Surgery / Photo Editing

Since the start of her career, there have been allegations from multiple people that she underwent plastic surgery. The initial accusations pointed to her getting a nose job, while the more recent ones alleged that she got lip fillers, which she later admitted to. Most people have a problem with her saying that she is a natural beauty or 100% natural, when she had went under the knife and tried to deny it until she admitted to getting lip fillers recently.

In addition, there were also people calling her out for editing her photos to make them look more "perfect", which is something many influencers and beauty gurus (e.g. Tana Mongeau, Loren Gray, Naomi Neo) were accused of as well.

My Take: Many pointed out their point of contention is that she is a role model to many young girls, which has an impact on their self-esteem based on what she posts/says. While this is a sentiment I do share to a certain degree, I don't really think young girls should even look to celebs as their role models in the first place, because most of them aren't even good influences. I believe that celebs should be able to do whatever they want, as long as they're not hurting people, and that includes changing their looks if they like. However, I do understand that some of her remarks about how she's a natural beauty and how girls should be confident with who they are can be hypocritical and ignorant, making her seem out of touch with average girls. My view on this controversy is generally similar to Honest in his latest video on the matter:

Controversy #3: Maggie Lindemann

In early 2016, Madison had an argument with Maggie Lindemann over Twitter regarding Kesha's allegations of Dr. Luke being abusive towards her. Madison takes the side of Kesha (believing in the victim), whereas Maggie prefers to give Kesha the benefit of doubt (indirectly implying that Kesha's allegations could be unfounded). This led to both of them falling out and their fans being pit against each other. They have allegedly made up since then, but did not refollow each other's social media.

My Take: I think that both Madison and Maggie both present logical arguments regarding the Kesha situation, though it seemed Madison got more support over her stance in contrast to Maggie. However, with Madison/Maggie making this dispute public, I feel that it distracts people from the real problem (i.e. Kesha's allegations of Dr. Luke and the abuse of musicians in the industry), which does not help the cause at all. Whoever started the dispute (be it Madison/Maggie) should not even have done so in the first place.

Controversy #4: Ricegum

In late 2016, Madison was asked by a fan about how she feels about Ricegum on a live stream, where she said that she has no opinion, but later went on to talk about how Ricegum is bullying kids and how he should be using his platform to spread positivity instead. In response to Madison, Ricegum made a diss track calling her out for her hypocrisy, which further spurred hate for Madison from Ricegum's fanbase and those who already disliked her because of the plastic surgery allegations.

My Take: She should have ignored the fan's question on Ricegum altogether. This would not have ignited more unnecessary flames towards her from Ricegum fans. I do think that Ricegum is bullying kids on the Internet through his "diss tracks", which people generally didn't see a problem with until 2017/2018, when he made videos with one of the kids he "dissed", Jacob Sartorius. I apologise if I get the details about Ricegum wrong, since I'm not a fan of his.

Controversy #5: N Word

In 2016, a clip of her saying the N word while singing along to a song with the N word when she was younger was found on Twitter. She later issued an apology on Twitter for her actions. With her recent blunder at the BLM protests, her naysayers brought up the existence of this clip again to prove that she has always been a racist and thus proves why she did the alleged photoshoot at the BLM protests for attention.

My Take: There have been many white celebs/YouTubers being called out in recent years for saying the N word, making racist remarks or engaging in racist acts (doing blackface) on the Internet. Some of them came out to apologise for their remarks and were generally accepted by people (e.g. Cody Ko), others were thoroughly criticised for their lack of remorse (e.g. Tana Mongeau, Shane Dawson) and the remaining who got called out garnered mixed opinions (e.g. Pewdiepie, Ethan Klein, idubbbz, Jenna Marbles). While I'm not American (as mentioned above), my view is that if a celeb/YouTuber has said/done something racially insensitive or homophobic in the past, they can be forgiven as long as they've shown to have changed their views and understood the severity of their actions/words. However, I acknowledge that it is NOT my position to comment on whether a celeb/YouTuber should be forgiven for a racist thing they did in the past. Thus, I would appreciate the POV from a POC here on whether Madison Beer deserves to be forgiven after her apology. If you think she doesn't seem remorseful in her apology, I can understand and think that she deserves the hate for whatever she did at BLM and connecting it with her N word blunder. Nevertheless, her situation when saying the N word was similar to that of Cody Ko (i.e. saying it while singing/lip syncing to a song with the N word). Thus, if Cody can be forgiven, I feel that Madison can be forgiven as well, provided her apology and subsequent actions have proven that she is a changed person. Just know that my opinion on this matter is not final, so I welcome your POV on whether she deserves forgiveness for her past racism.

Controversy #6: BLM Protests

When the BLM protests first started in late May 2020, while many celebs/YouTubers were posting their thoughts on the BLM movement, Madison was initially embroiled in a dispute with a critic, trying to clarify her stance regarding criticism of her body (once again). This was seen as insensitive by many of her fans, who felt that she should be using her platform to talk about the BLM movement instead (which she later did).

Later on, while she was attending the BLM protests, she was caught on photo/video holding up a protest sign with her mask pulled down while standing on top of a car. Her reason for standing on the car was allegedly because there were cars everywhere on the roads, thus she had to stand on the car in order to be more visible to the public. It was later outed that she was lying about her reason of standing on the car, as the traffic on the street she was protesting on was disrupted because of her stunt. Subsequently, people alleged that she had paid a photographer (who also filmed her at her 21st birthday) to do a photoshoot for her at the protests, making whatever she did at the protests seem like an attention seeking move done for the sake of clout. While she denied the allegations, DMs between her and the photographer later revealed that she admitted that the "photoshoot" was "planned".

My Take: It is indeed poor timing for Madison to discuss the allegations regarding her body with the critics during a time when tensions in her country are at an all time high. She could have settled the dispute privately with the critics instead, but chose to air it out there to make it seem like her own issues are more important than BLM. With regards to the photoshoot accusations, even if she didn't hire people to take photos of her at the protests, the fact that she lied about her reasoning for standing on the car is still questionable. She could have just protested normally like other celebs/YouTubers on the streets, who held up similar signs while marching on the road. Nevertheless, I feel the DMs between her and the photographer of her admission to the stunt being "planned" require more context, as drama channels could have shown the receipts in a certain way to make her look like she lied in this case. The video of her at the protests, on the other hand, do appear genuine, proving that she lied about the traffic on the road. Of course, if she really used the protests to gain clout, I am indeed disappointed and would think that she is no better than Jake Paul, who got arrested for looting in a mall during the protests.

Controversy #7: Lolita

While on a recent live stream, a fan asked Madison about her favourite book. She replied that it was Lolita, a book by Vladimir Nabokov about an inappropriate relationship between a teacher and a 12-year old girl, who later became her stepfather. She was asked by a fan about whether she romanticises the relationship during the live stream, and she said yes. Subsequently, she clarified on Twitter that she was joking about romanticising the inappropriate relationship in Lolita and apologised for not talking about her reasons behind liking the book properly. She also claims that she does not condone the relationship in Lolita, and is willing to see others' perspectives as to why Lolita is controversial.

My Take: My belief is that you can like any book/film/video/movie etc., even if the topic it is discussing is controversial. However, when a celebrity with a huge following gets asked by fans about why they like a controversial literature or media, they have the responsibility to take it seriously and tread very carefully when talking about it, so that it does not seem like they condone the issues discussed in the literature or media. Madison should have taken it seriously from the start, and explained why she liked Lolita's controversial nature, while still showing that she does not support the inappropriate relationship. Her ignorance over the contents of Lolita is why this even became a scandal in the first place, which could have been avoided if she had done more research on the book and form more educated opinions on it.

Controversy #8: Plastic Surgery Salon

While this section is similar to Controversy #2, it happened more recently and I thought it will be better addressed separately.

The paparazzi took photos of her "hiding" at a plastic surgery salon, which led to speculations of her getting more procedures done instead of what she claimed (just lip fillers). This sparked up the age-old debate of Madison lying about being a natural beauty, once again. She later clarified on Twitter that she was at the salon to check if she could get a mole removed, and was waiting for her car rather than "hiding" from the public.

My Take: While I do think that her non-admission to getting lip fillers led to even more distrust with her naysayers in the first place, making general assumptions over what she is doing at a plastic surgery salon over a few pictures by the paparazzi is too premature in my opinion. While she could have been lying (once again), I believe this wouldn't be the last time she gets accused of plastic surgery, and my views on the matter are covered under Controversy #2.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I believe that Madison isn't the worst villain on the Internet, but does come off as ignorant, reckless and quirky (i.e. "I'm not like other girls" phenomena). She needs to learn to be better in her PR and address her criticism more specifically and carefully, while ignoring unnecessary hate from the naysayers. She also needs to bear in mind her status as a celeb has an influence on her fans, and think before she does or say anything online and in public.

I am aware that there are other smaller controversies that I didn't cover, including her ties with the Vlog Squad and allegations that she drove a fan to suicide (a comment from her latest Genius interview for "Selfish"). However, this post is long enough, so let me know if you want my takes on these smaller controversies in the future.

Lookielooklook
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Lookielooklook »

Honestly I’ve been following Madison since 2012, I was a Bieber fan she was on the news, but I only started paying attention to her a year later in 2013 ( I’m around her age ) I remember loving her pictures, screenshooting then and doing my make up like hers bc of how much I loved hers! Madison def did fudge up, a lot. But I think people are also trying to see the worst in her and I do not care what anyone has to say it’s related to her looks. People don’t see flaws in her face so they resort to her mistakes. Some things are again, fudged you but y’all have to keep in mind that she’s only human at the end, and I’m pretty damn sure that some have done things quite worse. With the BLM thing, I disagree bc she was seen protesting for days. She talked about BLM even back in 2016. She said the n word which was disgusting but she apologized immediately before even getting called out. Nevertheless this is just ramble that I wanted to get out

Emmal21
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Emmal21 »

Lookielooklook wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:58 am
Honestly I’ve been following Madison since 2012, I was a Bieber fan she was on the news, but I only started paying attention to her a year later in 2013 ( I’m around her age ) I remember loving her pictures, screenshooting then and doing my make up like hers bc of how much I loved hers! Madison def did fudge up, a lot. But I think people are also trying to see the worst in her and I do not care what anyone has to say it’s related to her looks. People don’t see flaws in her face so they resort to her mistakes. Some things are again, fudged you but y’all have to keep in mind that she’s only human at the end, and I’m pretty damn sure that some have done things quite worse. With the BLM thing, I disagree bc she was seen protesting for days. She talked about BLM even back in 2016. She said the n word which was disgusting but she apologized immediately before even getting called out. Nevertheless this is just ramble that I wanted to get out
I see your point! So, I want to continue joining this discussion. I would like to know more information about her.

Return to “Music”