Carrie Grope Fletcher and the Echo Chamber of Praise - Part 16

Chloe18
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Carrie Grope Fletcher and the Echo Chamber of Praise - Part 16

Post by Chloe18 »

God that theatre cafe performance.... why does she have to sound so angry?? and why is she so shout-y???? I used to love her version of On My Own when she was Eponine. That performance just shows how much she has gone downhill since then

holly golightly
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by holly golightly »

miiday wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:31 am
pineapple626 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:33 am
Anyone seen the theatre cafe have just shared a video of her singing on my own from when she was there last week. God damn it really really proves how bad her vocals have got. It sounds awful. I used to love her singing this and now this snippet of her singing it I had to turn it off after a few seconds because I couldn’t stand it, hearing the strain in her voice when she belts or hits the high notes is horrible.

Yikes. That was bad. It's really sad how much her voice has worsened. I just watched a few videos of her when she was Eponine singing it and she was so good. Not my fave by a long way, but her voice was so pleasant to listen to and she could hit the notes so well. But now I have to turn the volume down and it's painful.

That being said, and it's just a personal preference, but I had always hated how she sang "only been pretending". The emphasis on "PREtending" had always irked me, and at the time I hadn't come across anyone who sang it that way (if anyone else does please let me know!). It felt to me like she was trying to force that to stand out vocally, as opposed to letting it flow. At the time I thought "oh she's focusing more on the vocals than the emotion", but it never bothered me much. But here I am, 4 years later, realising it's a recurring theme.
Going up on 'pretending'? Yeah, I feel like a lot of Eponines do that now. Sometimes it can work to their advantage, it can make their Eponine sound more angry, devastated, desperate, but a lot of the time it just comes across like "ooh look at me belting a higher note than the score actually requires me to sing!". And that's definitely how Carrie sounds on this performance, just going through the motions. Like, Lea Salonga doesn't go up on 'pretending' and hers is my favourite rendition of On My Own, because the emotion is all there and she has such control and clarity to her voice that she doesn't have to overcompensate with unnecessary riffs to prove she's a good singer. That's what kills me about Carrie's Theatre Cafe performance of On My Own, it sounds so dead and unemotional.

Margo_Channing
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Margo_Channing »

The idea of her on Broadway :barf: her ego will be as big as the empire state building :bang:

LylaJovana
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LylaJovana »

It's been quite a while since I read The Princess & The Pea, is the Princess supposed to be an angry, bored af bitch or is that just Kermit's take?
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?

toffeethegossip
Debater
Debater

Post by toffeethegossip »

delightfuldebutante wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:16 am
Sorry for the double post but I went to look at Mollies’s Instagram and was struck by the differences between them - I will be genuinely gobsmacked if she is considered appropriate for Cinderella - not to be rude but might she be the stepmother or one of the sisters?
She is so not a Cinderella and not famous enough in Broadway to get the crowds in , I can imagine her as an ugly sisters not because she is ugly as I do think she is pretty when not wearing clown make up but just the way she acts, strops and her general acting like a spoilt brat persona :tu:

Lolla2
Talker
Talker

Post by Lolla2 »

Toothy wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:42 am
Who did this?? :rofl:
That’d be me!

Xxsugar-hun-peachXx
Debater
Debater

Post by Xxsugar-hun-peachXx »

That second princess and the pea photo looks so off to me i dono if the person that took her photo actually likes carrie that much lol her nose looks huge her facial expressions the whole photo is off.... wouldnt say there amazing photos now....

holly golightly
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by holly golightly »

Ugh.. to think that last time there was some kind of Cinderella musical debuting on Broadway it was Laura Osnes. What a downgrade. :rofl:

Post by Guest »

Oliver Ormson : Exists

Carrie : OMG THAT FACE LOOK AT MY POOMPKIN ISN'T HE SO GORGEOUS I'M SO IN LOVE BEST RELATIONSHIP EVEEEEER

miiday
Learner
Learner

Post by miiday »

holly golightly wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:45 am
miiday wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:31 am
pineapple626 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:33 am
Anyone seen the theatre cafe have just shared a video of her singing on my own from when she was there last week. God damn it really really proves how bad her vocals have got. It sounds awful. I used to love her singing this and now this snippet of her singing it I had to turn it off after a few seconds because I couldn’t stand it, hearing the strain in her voice when she belts or hits the high notes is horrible.

Yikes. That was bad. It's really sad how much her voice has worsened. I just watched a few videos of her when she was Eponine singing it and she was so good. Not my fave by a long way, but her voice was so pleasant to listen to and she could hit the notes so well. But now I have to turn the volume down and it's painful.

That being said, and it's just a personal preference, but I had always hated how she sang "only been pretending". The emphasis on "PREtending" had always irked me, and at the time I hadn't come across anyone who sang it that way (if anyone else does please let me know!). It felt to me like she was trying to force that to stand out vocally, as opposed to letting it flow. At the time I thought "oh she's focusing more on the vocals than the emotion", but it never bothered me much. But here I am, 4 years later, realising it's a recurring theme.
Going up on 'pretending'? Yeah, I feel like a lot of Eponines do that now. Sometimes it can work to their advantage, it can make their Eponine sound more angry, devastated, desperate, but a lot of the time it just comes across like "ooh look at me belting a higher note than the score actually requires me to sing!". And that's definitely how Carrie sounds on this performance, just going through the motions. Like, Lea Salonga doesn't go up on 'pretending' and hers is my favourite rendition of On My Own, because the emotion is all there and she has such control and clarity to her voice that she doesn't have to overcompensate with unnecessary riffs to prove she's a good singer. That's what kills me about Carrie's Theatre Cafe performance of On My Own, it sounds so dead and unemotional.
Aah yeah I don't know about now, but Carrie was the first one I heard doing it that way. Exactly what I mean though! It comes off as Carrie showing off.

I do love Lea Salonga's version. I rewatched it after watching the Carrie video from the tweet and a few others and the difference in how they played Eponine is so obvious to me. I also watched Lea's performance of On My Own from 2017, which I think is about 22 years after her concert version and she still hit the notes. She didn't seem as comfortable, but she's been singing all her life and it seems she's really taken as much care of her voice as possible. I find she's still so pleasant to listen to. As someone who has also played Eponine and Fantine, Carrie could probably take some notes. Carrie seems to have done more damage to her voice in a the span of a few months than Lea has in her 40 year career.

Weird Vagina
Sparkling Unicorn
Sparkling Unicorn

Post by Weird Vagina »

Return to “Carrie Hope Fletcher”