Insane Reader

Re: Insane Reader

Post by Guest »

unpopularbooktube wrote:
slippers4days wrote:
unpopularbooktube wrote:
This has to be his worst video ever posted. He's so fucking annoying in this.
The video is unavailable for me, what was it called? Maybe it was deleted
OH SHIT HE DELETED IT. This is definitely proof that he reads here.
It was called "Reacting to Booktube Drama" where he searches "booktube drama" into the search and badly reacts to the videos that come up by making faces at the camera and promoting his video about negative reviewers not wanting attention (which is also deleted btw)/
embedded video still available/watchable for me at time of writing, including if i click to watch on youtube.

although it's not visible if i actually go to his channel page

ButWhyTho_
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ButWhyTho_ »

unpopularbooktube wrote: AND HE CHANGED HIS CHANNEL NAME TO CALEB JOSEPH. He's trying to rebrand into a basic influencer and follow Casey Aonso's lead. This is gonna be a trainwreck.
Yikes. I really just wish he could go back to his old videos - they suit him way better, if that makes sense.

just_reading
Learner
Learner

Post by just_reading »

flapflap wrote:
unpopularbooktube wrote:
slippers4days wrote:
unpopularbooktube wrote:
This has to be his worst video ever posted. He's so fucking annoying in this.
The video is unavailable for me, what was it called? Maybe it was deleted
OH SHIT HE DELETED IT. This is definitely proof that he reads here.
It was called "Reacting to Booktube Drama" where he searches "booktube drama" into the search and badly reacts to the videos that come up by making faces at the camera and promoting his video about negative reviewers not wanting attention (which is also deleted btw)/
embedded video still available/watchable for me at time of writing, including if i click to watch on youtube.

although it's not visible if i actually go to his channel page
The video isnt deleted its from 2018, so you have to scroll to find it.

Post by Guest »

(this is in the description) "I still get rude comments about me being a Cassandra Clare fan despite the fact that I read and fell in love with her work when I was 13 years old and they played a big part in my life. Instead of understanding that people just like to think I’m an idiot. Maybe that’ll explain where I’m coming from. "

Seriously? You defended Cassandra Clare, refused to debate any criticism of her (i.e. the plagiarism scandal), and not only did you read and defend CC, you read and defended SJM! Being thirteen and liking a book isn't an argument, people are asking you to stop cherrypicking what books you criticize. He makes videos about Colleen Hoover, yet doesn't say shit about CC / SJM, that's what people are mad about, not the fact that you like a book. :roll: :roll:

Leonhardts
Learner
Learner

Post by Leonhardts »

I don’t really see the problem. Booktubers aren’t required to look at every book or series they like with a critical eye.

I really liked his video. It was pretty refreshingly honest. I never noticed that he didn’t do any sponsorships. I don’t hold it against booktubers when they do them, but I also appreciate not another person shilling The Devouring Gray.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

He gets from their books the same feeling most of us get from Harry Potter books, so he won't criticize them because of nostalgia and warm feeling when you remember reading them and I understand that. I will always defend HP.

Cosima
Talker
Talker

Post by Cosima »

irritatedonyoutube wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:40 am

(this is in the description) "I still get rude comments about me being a Cassandra Clare fan despite the fact that I read and fell in love with her work when I was 13 years old and they played a big part in my life. Instead of understanding that people just like to think I’m an idiot. Maybe that’ll explain where I’m coming from. "

Seriously? You defended Cassandra Clare, refused to debate any criticism of her (i.e. the plagiarism scandal), and not only did you read and defend CC, you read and defended SJM! Being thirteen and liking a book isn't an argument, people are asking you to stop cherrypicking what books you criticize. He makes videos about Colleen Hoover, yet doesn't say shit about CC / SJM, that's what people are mad about, not the fact that you like a book. :roll: :roll:
He is not in any way obligated to "debate critisism" or engage in any sort of conversation he doesn't want to and having likes and dislikes is not "cherrypicking". Adults who are getting mad at teenagers for not validationg their opinions need hobbies.
BTW, I really dislike Clare and Hoover, and Caleb's channel is not my style so it's not like I'm trying to defend anyone.

Post by Guest »

Cosima wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:40 am

He is not in any way obligated to "debate critisism" or engage in any sort of conversation he doesn't want to and having likes and dislikes is not "cherrypicking". Adults who are getting mad at teenagers for not validationg their opinions need hobbies.
BTW, I really dislike Clare and Hoover, and Caleb's channel is not my style so it's not like I'm trying to defend anyone.
I agree that he can like whatever, it's the fact that he attempted to engage in the conversation about Cassandra Clare's criticism. He didn't have to defend Cassandra Clare, he didn't later on have to joke about liking CC, he could have unapollogetically liked it without having to justify himself, but that's not what he did. He engaged in the conversation lightly, got called out for it, and what he said in the description was damage control

sitaikissme
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by sitaikissme »

caleb can like a "problematic" series and he doesn't have to engage in the criticism. that shits tiring and most of us here are likely into something that's problematic in some way too. but at the same time, seeing as he lightly dismissed some of cc's shit before and has had major purity policing tones before, e.g. you can't ship darlking/alina because it's bad uwu, he can't be surprised that people would go after him.

you can talk about how something is problematic or has problematic elements but don't act like a virtuous soul while doing so if you're not.

PrincessMassacre
Lurker
Lurker

Post by PrincessMassacre »

I thought it was really cool of Caleb to make a retrospective on why he loved Cassandra Clare's books and how he started to think more critically about her as an author.

Post by Guest »

I Think I'm The Only One On This Thread That Simply Doesn't Like Caleb Or His Content. I Couldn't Sit Through His Latest Video. To Summarize, It's Him Saying "Everyone Told Me This Was Bad But They Were Mean So I Never Did Any Research, I Still Love You Cassandra Clare".
For Someone Whose Been On YouTube For So Long, You'd Think He'd Grow A Thicker Skin Instead Of Saying Everyone That Disagrees With Him Is Attacking Him. Someone Commenting "Cassandra Clare Plagiarized And Is A Terrible Writer" Isn't An Attack.

PrincessMassacre
Lurker
Lurker

irritatedonyoutube wrote: I Think I'm The Only One On This Thread That Simply Doesn't Like Caleb Or His Content. I Couldn't Sit Through His Latest Video. To Summarize, It's Him Saying "Everyone Told Me This Was Bad But They Were Mean So I Never Did Any Research, I Still Love You Cassandra Clare".
For Someone Whose Been On YouTube For So Long, You'd Think He'd Grow A Thicker Skin Instead Of Saying Everyone That Disagrees With Him Is Attacking Him. Someone Commenting "Cassandra Clare Plagiarized And Is A Terrible Writer" Isn't An Attack.
Well, I mean, he showed screenshots of some of the condescending comments he was getting on his videos. I totally understand where he's coming from. If people are going to be rude and talk down to him, then he has no reason to take them seriously.

Post by Guest »

PrincessMassacre wrote:
irritatedonyoutube wrote: I Think I'm The Only One On This Thread That Simply Doesn't Like Caleb Or His Content. I Couldn't Sit Through His Latest Video. To Summarize, It's Him Saying "Everyone Told Me This Was Bad But They Were Mean So I Never Did Any Research, I Still Love You Cassandra Clare".
Well, I mean, he showed screenshots of some of the condescending comments he was getting on his videos. I totally understand where he's coming from. If people are going to be rude and talk down to him, then he has no reason to take them seriously.
Those Comments Were Hardly Attacks At Caleb, They Were More To Cassandra Clare Herself.

PrincessMassacre
Lurker
Lurker

PrincessMassacre wrote:
Those Comments Were Hardly Attacks At Caleb, They Were More To Cassandra Clare Herself.
I didn't say they were attacks. I just said they had a condescending tone. If someone were to talk down to me like that I wouldn't take anything they had to say into consideration either. That's all I'm saying.

liana234
Lurker
Lurker

Post by liana234 »

He recently posted a video talking about the whole Cassandra Clare controversy and how he feels about her books now that he’s older. He does say that he doesn’t agree with a lot of the subject matter she wrote about, but the whole video still has some defensive undertones to it. Stuff like “I know she did put some messed up stuff in her books but I was young and didn’t know better and I didnt deserve to get hated for that.” Which is fine, I get that he was young (I think he mentioned he started reading her books when he was 13) but I just kind of wish he put a little more effort in trying to understand why people criticized him instead of just labeling it as hate. Something he said did stand out to me though, he talked about how we all have feelings and feelings aren’t always rational or don’t make sense, which I liked. I think people are quick to judge someone just because they enjoy something that may be deemed as problematic by some. I don’t think we should make people feel bad for liking a certain book or book series despite its negative elements, but it’s still important to acknowledge the bad stuff rather than just being “you’re all wrong.”

Post by Guest »

liana234 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:06 pm
He recently posted a video talking about the whole Cassandra Clare controversy and how he feels about her books now that he’s older. He does say that he doesn’t agree with a lot of the subject matter she wrote about, but the whole video still has some defensive undertones to it. Stuff like “I know she did put some messed up stuff in her books but I was young and didn’t know better and I didnt deserve to get hated for that.” Which is fine, I get that he was young (I think he mentioned he started reading her books when he was 13) but I just kind of wish he put a little more effort in trying to understand why people criticized him instead of just labeling it as hate. Something he said did stand out to me though, he talked about how we all have feelings and feelings aren’t always rational or don’t make sense, which I liked. I think people are quick to judge someone just because they enjoy something that may be deemed as problematic by some. I don’t think we should make people feel bad for liking a certain book or book series despite its negative elements, but it’s still important to acknowledge the bad stuff rather than just being “you’re all wrong.”
Caleb Doesn't Get That The Internet Is Ruthless And You Will Still Receive Hate / Criticism Even If You're A Child. Hell, He Made A Video Making Fun Of Danielle Cohn - A Thirteen Year Old Girl - But He Still Doesn't Get It.

Samisgossiping
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Samisgossiping »

He really is going for that Jenny Nicholson aesthetic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

potatopeeler92
Learner
Learner

Post by potatopeeler92 »

People have been subtweeting Caleb from his latest video.

confettiyoyo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by confettiyoyo »

potatopeeler92 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:46 pm
People have been subtweeting Caleb from his latest video.

This criticism is so ridiculous, his video is pointing out (and making fun of) the disturbing trend of 'young, sick girl dies after falling in love uwu' that has cropped up in the wake of TFIOS.

potatopeeler92
Learner
Learner

Post by potatopeeler92 »

I definitely think that was his intention but some people pointed out that his jokes were tasteless, like implying sick people can't be sexy or it's unrealistic for them to be considered attractive or whatever. Maybe the jokes didn't land that well with the rest of booktube

Return to “BookTube”