bestdressed

craccheaux
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Re: bestdressed

Post by craccheaux »

Ashley is a super unlikeable person - and I used to enjoy her content a lot like a year or two back. She's so not personable, and pretends to be this quirky, relatable girl when NOTHING about her is relatable. She came from rich parents, moved to LA at like 18, buys expensive clothing and has a huge platform, graduated like two years early, etc. What about that is typical for the average teenage girl, aka her audience?

I understand that she puts a lot of effort into her channel, but for people to act like she's just soooooooo hardworking, poooor girlllll!!! is like, really annoying. At the end of the day, she makes videos at home trying clothes on and sits on her computer editing them, let's not exaggerate.
She's a pretentious, pseudo-intellectual brat and the biggest hypocrite ever. She's always preaching about sustainability and ethical clothing but is constantly shopping at Urban Outfitters and suggesting her viewers find cheap alternatives at stores like F21... where is the consistency, sis?
Her style looks like everyone's on Instagram, which is unfortunate because she used to make AMAZING thrift videos. Like I genuinely enjoyed them to the point where I was able to get past her boring, overdone jokes and annoying speech impediment.

craccheaux
Lurker
Lurker

Post by craccheaux »

Does anyone else get annoyed by how low-key self-hating she is about her Asian-ness? She's obviously very white-washed but it's so blatantly clear and SO ugly. I don't know if anyone else remembers this but she mentions briefly in a video that she cried because some guy (I think from Tinder, because it seems like that's the only type of human interaction she ever gets) assumed she was Chinese. She's so immature and I don't understand how people can look up to her. She REEKS of insecurity to a point where it's more annoying than it is sad.

Sailormoonxx
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sailormoonxx »

craccheaux wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:13 pm
Does anyone else get annoyed by how low-key self-hating she is about her Asian-ness? She's obviously very white-washed but it's so blatantly clear and SO ugly. I don't know if anyone else remembers this but she mentions briefly in a video that she cried because some guy (I think from Tinder, because it seems like that's the only type of human interaction she ever gets) assumed she was Chinese. She's so immature and I don't understand how people can look up to her. She REEKS of insecurity to a point where it's more annoying than it is sad.

Exactly, I feel like she’s trying to be inspiring and liberating with all her self-love and feminist talks, as an Asian myself I don’t find her inspiring at all, it just seems like she’s going through an identity crisis, she keeps talking about how she’s trying to accept and love her asian features, then the next minute she whines about how asian her face looks, almost like she’s blaming on the asian-ness of hers. She simply reads too much into what other people say and make herself look miserable. She is so insecure about her asian-ness and no matter what people say she is still gonna be insecure and offended by the slightest things.

Post by Guest »

@ David

makemeasquare
Informer
Informer

Post by makemeasquare »

laylee wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:13 am

@ David
I’m 👏 here 👏 for 👏 it

sunrise-blvd
Lurker
Lurker

Post by sunrise-blvd »

craccheaux wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Ashley is a super unlikeable person - and I used to enjoy her content a lot like a year or two back. She's so not personable, and pretends to be this quirky, relatable girl when NOTHING about her is relatable. She came from rich parents, moved to LA at like 18, buys expensive clothing and has a huge platform, graduated like two years early, etc. What about that is typical for the average teenage girl, aka her audience?

I understand that she puts a lot of effort into her channel, but for people to act like she's just soooooooo hardworking, poooor girlllll!!! is like, really annoying. At the end of the day, she makes videos at home trying clothes on and sits on her computer editing them, let's not exaggerate.
She's a pretentious, pseudo-intellectual brat and the biggest hypocrite ever. She's always preaching about sustainability and ethical clothing but is constantly shopping at Urban Outfitters and suggesting her viewers find cheap alternatives at stores like F21... where is the consistency, sis?
Her style looks like everyone's on Instagram, which is unfortunate because she used to make AMAZING thrift videos. Like I genuinely enjoyed them to the point where I was able to get past her boring, overdone jokes and annoying speech impediment.
it's fine not to like her content, but just because you don't find someone likable, it doesn't make them 100% unlikable. also you can't really help a speech impediment.

craccheaux
Lurker
Lurker

Post by craccheaux »

sunrise-blvd wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:16 am
craccheaux wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm

it's fine not to like her content, but just because you don't find someone likable, it doesn't make them 100% unlikable. also you can't really help a speech impediment.
Yeah, I stated that she's unlikeable and why I feel that way. And I'm aware a speech impediment is something she can't control, I'm just being a bitch x

blendingbrushfreak
Debater
Debater

Post by blendingbrushfreak »

craccheaux wrote:Does anyone else get annoyed by how low-key self-hating she is about her Asian-ness? She's obviously very white-washed but it's so blatantly clear and SO ugly. I don't know if anyone else remembers this but she mentions briefly in a video that she cried because some guy (I think from Tinder, because it seems like that's the only type of human interaction she ever gets) assumed she was Chinese. She's so immature and I don't understand how people can look up to her. She REEKS of insecurity to a point where it's more annoying than it is sad.
Yes! I found it so hypocritical saying that she only follows a few people on Instagram because she's insecure but the majority of the people show follows are pretty white girls. I think she only follows like 3 or 4 influencers who are POC. Girl has a lot of internalised racism for being half asian.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

durazno
Talker
Talker

Post by durazno »

oot but does anyone know how she became friends with damonandjo --- or more specifically just damon (the white boy of the two?). she doesn't even follow jo (a mulata brazilian girl).

i found her because i was a big fan of theirs and she had thrifted a mirror from damon a long time ago when she was redecorating her room. she takes pictures with him occasionally too but i have no idea how they got close and why she doesn't know jo if she knows him?

frostedmocha
Learner
Learner

Post by frostedmocha »

the new journal video on her second channel...i'm conflicted. maybe i'm just in a bad mood and extra-nitpicky today but i feel like a lot of what she said was unnecessary/redundant...who needs a 16 min guide to journaling? I like that she pointed out how it's nice to be able to look back at your younger self because i feel the same way, but what bothered me was, for example, how she pretended that her 30 dollar journal was super inexpensive, when in reality, its still thirty bucks for a journal. Which to some people might not be a lot of money, but for someone who has to watch every cent they spent is...not as little money as she might think it is. Also, I noticed that while speaking, she sometimes simultaneously forces herself to smile and it's super irritating to me, did she always used to do this? (wow i notice how asshole-y this sounds, maybe i'm a bit harsh, sorry)
I like ashley and i like her sit down videos, but this journalling video somehow struck a nerve.
not a native English speaker, please excuse my mistakes x

dani_oooo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by dani_oooo »

Honestly, just watched her new video and as someone who's been writing in a journal for almost a decade.... The video is a bit bizarre. I know Ashley said she doesn't look at it as an aesthetic anymore, the video still feels like it's being framed as a nostalgic aesthetic which is fine. For me personally, I don't look at journaling as this time-capsule to look back on wistfully, it's mostly because I can't afford therapy and I need something that's somewhat therapeutic or things... will combust. Watching the video, I have never heard of this many obstacles before.Editing, do you do digital or hand-write it, ~ finding the right journal ~ The video just isn't for me, but let's be real if you need a 16 minute video on how to begin a journal- it's not gonna happen lol.

oldasparagus5
Learner
Learner

Post by oldasparagus5 »

frostedmocha wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:19 pm
the new journal video on her second channel...i'm conflicted. maybe i'm just in a bad mood and extra-nitpicky today but i feel like a lot of what she said was unnecessary/redundant...who needs a 16 min guide to journaling? I like that she pointed out how it's nice to be able to look back at your younger self because i feel the same way, but what bothered me was, for example, how she pretended that her 30 dollar journal was super inexpensive, when in reality, its still thirty bucks for a journal. Which to some people might not be a lot of money, but for someone who has to watch every cent they spent is...not as little money as she might think it is. Also, I noticed that while speaking, she sometimes simultaneously forces herself to smile and it's super irritating to me, did she always used to do this? (wow i notice how asshole-y this sounds, maybe i'm a bit harsh, sorry)
I like ashley and i like her sit down videos, but this journalling video somehow struck a nerve.
i felt the exact same way! also the thumbnail of her being all **sultry** with her journal really made me not want to watch the video lol

squishystyle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by squishystyle »

I swear I have to watch her videos on 1.50x or 1.75x speed these days because I just can't sit through her long talks anymore. Also her bestmess videos are exactly that, a mess.

blendingbrushfreak
Debater
Debater

Post by blendingbrushfreak »

durazno wrote:oot but does anyone know how she became friends with damonandjo --- or more specifically just damon (the white boy of the two?). she doesn't even follow jo (a mulata brazilian girl).

i found her because i was a big fan of theirs and she had thrifted a mirror from damon a long time ago when she was redecorating her room. she takes pictures with him occasionally too but i have no idea how they got close and why she doesn't know jo if she knows him?
Yeah she seems to only follows one person of the duo. She follows Damon but not Jo and she follows Kelsey but not Becky. LOL

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

heelerms
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by heelerms »

Does Ashley ever update her thrift selling website, or does she just always leave all the items as "sold out" ?

aratinga
Learner
Learner

Post by aratinga »

heelerms wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:50 am
Does Ashley ever update her thrift selling website, or does she just always leave all the items as "sold out" ?
She only seems to post new items once in a blue moon, around the times when she uploads thrift hauls. I think she just does it when she needs some extra cash, although I wish she'd list stuff more often because some of it is cute.

froops
Learner
Learner

Post by froops »

In theory, I have nothing against her straying from her path of just making fashion focused videos for a while - in theory. However her vlogs are really lacking in my opinion. They're not very eyecatching (especially in terms of scenery) and her cinematography in regards to vlogs really isn't up to par with other vloggers. I don't mind a thrown together vlog on her bestmess channel (that's what side channels are for) but if she wants to go that route on her main channel, she really should improve her style soon.

palmer
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by palmer »

I like Ashley and I think it's good that she's trying to step away from the fashion content a bit (that stuff tends to get repetitive pretty easily). That being said, I haven't clicked on her last 3 videos, and I think that's because I kind of feel like I'm...too old for them? I'm only 25, but I guess I'm at a different stage in life. No offense but the topics she addresses all seem kind of teenage-like to me and very generic reflections/advice.

makemeasquare
Informer
Informer

Post by makemeasquare »

Her latest instagrams have 300% less blush so that's exciting.

lollypop1999
Learner
Learner

Post by lollypop1999 »

i must admit i was kind of shocked there's a thread for ashley!!

i really love her. i think her style is adorable, she is stunning and i love her chatty videos. her girl-talk videos are really helpful to me, a 17 year old girl, and i truly find her relatable lol

i can see how she would annoy some people tho

Return to “A-E”