bestdressed

craccheaux
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by craccheaux » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm

Ashley is a super unlikeable person - and I used to enjoy her content a lot like a year or two back. She's so not personable, and pretends to be this quirky, relatable girl when NOTHING about her is relatable. She came from rich parents, moved to LA at like 18, buys expensive clothing and has a huge platform, graduated like two years early, etc. What about that is typical for the average teenage girl, aka her audience?

I understand that she puts a lot of effort into her channel, but for people to act like she's just soooooooo hardworking, poooor girlllll!!! is like, really annoying. At the end of the day, she makes videos at home trying clothes on and sits on her computer editing them, let's not exaggerate.
She's a pretentious, pseudo-intellectual brat and the biggest hypocrite ever. She's always preaching about sustainability and ethical clothing but is constantly shopping at Urban Outfitters and suggesting her viewers find cheap alternatives at stores like F21... where is the consistency, sis?
Her style looks like everyone's on Instagram, which is unfortunate because she used to make AMAZING thrift videos. Like I genuinely enjoyed them to the point where I was able to get past her boring, overdone jokes and annoying speech impediment.

craccheaux
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by craccheaux » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Does anyone else get annoyed by how low-key self-hating she is about her Asian-ness? She's obviously very white-washed but it's so blatantly clear and SO ugly. I don't know if anyone else remembers this but she mentions briefly in a video that she cried because some guy (I think from Tinder, because it seems like that's the only type of human interaction she ever gets) assumed she was Chinese. She's so immature and I don't understand how people can look up to her. She REEKS of insecurity to a point where it's more annoying than it is sad.

Sailormoonxx
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:26 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by Sailormoonxx » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 pm

craccheaux wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:13 pm
Does anyone else get annoyed by how low-key self-hating she is about her Asian-ness? She's obviously very white-washed but it's so blatantly clear and SO ugly. I don't know if anyone else remembers this but she mentions briefly in a video that she cried because some guy (I think from Tinder, because it seems like that's the only type of human interaction she ever gets) assumed she was Chinese. She's so immature and I don't understand how people can look up to her. She REEKS of insecurity to a point where it's more annoying than it is sad.

Exactly, I feel like she’s trying to be inspiring and liberating with all her self-love and feminist talks, as an Asian myself I don’t find her inspiring at all, it just seems like she’s going through an identity crisis, she keeps talking about how she’s trying to accept and love her asian features, then the next minute she whines about how asian her face looks, almost like she’s blaming on the asian-ness of hers. She simply reads too much into what other people say and make herself look miserable. She is so insecure about her asian-ness and no matter what people say she is still gonna be insecure and offended by the slightest things.

laylee
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 1258 times
Been thanked: 3895 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by laylee » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:13 am




@ David

makemeasquare
Talker
Talker
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:16 pm
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by makemeasquare » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 am

laylee wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:13 am



@ David
I’m 👏 here 👏 for 👏 it

sunrise-blvd
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by sunrise-blvd » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:16 am

craccheaux wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Ashley is a super unlikeable person - and I used to enjoy her content a lot like a year or two back. She's so not personable, and pretends to be this quirky, relatable girl when NOTHING about her is relatable. She came from rich parents, moved to LA at like 18, buys expensive clothing and has a huge platform, graduated like two years early, etc. What about that is typical for the average teenage girl, aka her audience?

I understand that she puts a lot of effort into her channel, but for people to act like she's just soooooooo hardworking, poooor girlllll!!! is like, really annoying. At the end of the day, she makes videos at home trying clothes on and sits on her computer editing them, let's not exaggerate.
She's a pretentious, pseudo-intellectual brat and the biggest hypocrite ever. She's always preaching about sustainability and ethical clothing but is constantly shopping at Urban Outfitters and suggesting her viewers find cheap alternatives at stores like F21... where is the consistency, sis?
Her style looks like everyone's on Instagram, which is unfortunate because she used to make AMAZING thrift videos. Like I genuinely enjoyed them to the point where I was able to get past her boring, overdone jokes and annoying speech impediment.
it's fine not to like her content, but just because you don't find someone likable, it doesn't make them 100% unlikable. also you can't really help a speech impediment.

craccheaux
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by craccheaux » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:58 am

sunrise-blvd wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:16 am
craccheaux wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Ashley is a super unlikeable person - and I used to enjoy her content a lot like a year or two back. She's so not personable, and pretends to be this quirky, relatable girl when NOTHING about her is relatable. She came from rich parents, moved to LA at like 18, buys expensive clothing and has a huge platform, graduated like two years early, etc. What about that is typical for the average teenage girl, aka her audience?

I understand that she puts a lot of effort into her channel, but for people to act like she's just soooooooo hardworking, poooor girlllll!!! is like, really annoying. At the end of the day, she makes videos at home trying clothes on and sits on her computer editing them, let's not exaggerate.
She's a pretentious, pseudo-intellectual brat and the biggest hypocrite ever. She's always preaching about sustainability and ethical clothing but is constantly shopping at Urban Outfitters and suggesting her viewers find cheap alternatives at stores like F21... where is the consistency, sis?
Her style looks like everyone's on Instagram, which is unfortunate because she used to make AMAZING thrift videos. Like I genuinely enjoyed them to the point where I was able to get past her boring, overdone jokes and annoying speech impediment.
it's fine not to like her content, but just because you don't find someone likable, it doesn't make them 100% unlikable. also you can't really help a speech impediment.
Yeah, I stated that she's unlikeable and why I feel that way. And I'm aware a speech impediment is something she can't control, I'm just being a bitch x

blendingbrushfreak
Talker
Talker
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:52 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by blendingbrushfreak » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:28 am

craccheaux wrote:Does anyone else get annoyed by how low-key self-hating she is about her Asian-ness? She's obviously very white-washed but it's so blatantly clear and SO ugly. I don't know if anyone else remembers this but she mentions briefly in a video that she cried because some guy (I think from Tinder, because it seems like that's the only type of human interaction she ever gets) assumed she was Chinese. She's so immature and I don't understand how people can look up to her. She REEKS of insecurity to a point where it's more annoying than it is sad.
Yes! I found it so hypocritical saying that she only follows a few people on Instagram because she's insecure but the majority of the people show follows are pretty white girls. I think she only follows like 3 or 4 influencers who are POC. Girl has a lot of internalised racism for being half asian.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk


durazno
Learner
Learner
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:50 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by durazno » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:10 am

oot but does anyone know how she became friends with damonandjo --- or more specifically just damon (the white boy of the two?). she doesn't even follow jo (a mulata brazilian girl).

i found her because i was a big fan of theirs and she had thrifted a mirror from damon a long time ago when she was redecorating her room. she takes pictures with him occasionally too but i have no idea how they got close and why she doesn't know jo if she knows him?

frostedmocha
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:57 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by frostedmocha » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:19 pm

the new journal video on her second channel...i'm conflicted. maybe i'm just in a bad mood and extra-nitpicky today but i feel like a lot of what she said was unnecessary/redundant...who needs a 16 min guide to journaling? I like that she pointed out how it's nice to be able to look back at your younger self because i feel the same way, but what bothered me was, for example, how she pretended that her 30 dollar journal was super inexpensive, when in reality, its still thirty bucks for a journal. Which to some people might not be a lot of money, but for someone who has to watch every cent they spent is...not as little money as she might think it is. Also, I noticed that while speaking, she sometimes simultaneously forces herself to smile and it's super irritating to me, did she always used to do this? (wow i notice how asshole-y this sounds, maybe i'm a bit harsh, sorry)
I like ashley and i like her sit down videos, but this journalling video somehow struck a nerve.
not a native English speaker, please excuse my mistakes x

dani_oooo
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:08 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by dani_oooo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Honestly, just watched her new video and as someone who's been writing in a journal for almost a decade.... The video is a bit bizarre. I know Ashley said she doesn't look at it as an aesthetic anymore, the video still feels like it's being framed as a nostalgic aesthetic which is fine. For me personally, I don't look at journaling as this time-capsule to look back on wistfully, it's mostly because I can't afford therapy and I need something that's somewhat therapeutic or things... will combust. Watching the video, I have never heard of this many obstacles before.Editing, do you do digital or hand-write it, ~ finding the right journal ~ The video just isn't for me, but let's be real if you need a 16 minute video on how to begin a journal- it's not gonna happen lol.

oldasparagus5
Wallflower
Wallflower
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by oldasparagus5 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:23 pm

frostedmocha wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:19 pm
the new journal video on her second channel...i'm conflicted. maybe i'm just in a bad mood and extra-nitpicky today but i feel like a lot of what she said was unnecessary/redundant...who needs a 16 min guide to journaling? I like that she pointed out how it's nice to be able to look back at your younger self because i feel the same way, but what bothered me was, for example, how she pretended that her 30 dollar journal was super inexpensive, when in reality, its still thirty bucks for a journal. Which to some people might not be a lot of money, but for someone who has to watch every cent they spent is...not as little money as she might think it is. Also, I noticed that while speaking, she sometimes simultaneously forces herself to smile and it's super irritating to me, did she always used to do this? (wow i notice how asshole-y this sounds, maybe i'm a bit harsh, sorry)
I like ashley and i like her sit down videos, but this journalling video somehow struck a nerve.
i felt the exact same way! also the thumbnail of her being all **sultry** with her journal really made me not want to watch the video lol

User avatar
squishystyle
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:15 pm
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by squishystyle » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:57 pm

I swear I have to watch her videos on 1.50x or 1.75x speed these days because I just can't sit through her long talks anymore. Also her bestmess videos are exactly that, a mess.
Image

blendingbrushfreak
Talker
Talker
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:52 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by blendingbrushfreak » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:48 pm

durazno wrote:oot but does anyone know how she became friends with damonandjo --- or more specifically just damon (the white boy of the two?). she doesn't even follow jo (a mulata brazilian girl).

i found her because i was a big fan of theirs and she had thrifted a mirror from damon a long time ago when she was redecorating her room. she takes pictures with him occasionally too but i have no idea how they got close and why she doesn't know jo if she knows him?
Yeah she seems to only follows one person of the duo. She follows Damon but not Jo and she follows Kelsey but not Becky. LOL


Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk


heelerms
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 776
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:52 pm
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by heelerms » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:50 am

Does Ashley ever update her thrift selling website, or does she just always leave all the items as "sold out" ?

User avatar
aratinga
Learner
Learner
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:04 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by aratinga » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:02 pm

heelerms wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:50 am
Does Ashley ever update her thrift selling website, or does she just always leave all the items as "sold out" ?
She only seems to post new items once in a blue moon, around the times when she uploads thrift hauls. I think she just does it when she needs some extra cash, although I wish she'd list stuff more often because some of it is cute.

froops
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:39 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by froops » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am

In theory, I have nothing against her straying from her path of just making fashion focused videos for a while - in theory. However her vlogs are really lacking in my opinion. They're not very eyecatching (especially in terms of scenery) and her cinematography in regards to vlogs really isn't up to par with other vloggers. I don't mind a thrown together vlog on her bestmess channel (that's what side channels are for) but if she wants to go that route on her main channel, she really should improve her style soon.

palmer
Talker
Talker
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 443 times
Been thanked: 477 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by palmer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 am

I like Ashley and I think it's good that she's trying to step away from the fashion content a bit (that stuff tends to get repetitive pretty easily). That being said, I haven't clicked on her last 3 videos, and I think that's because I kind of feel like I'm...too old for them? I'm only 25, but I guess I'm at a different stage in life. No offense but the topics she addresses all seem kind of teenage-like to me and very generic reflections/advice.

makemeasquare
Talker
Talker
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:16 pm
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by makemeasquare » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 am

Her latest instagrams have 300% less blush so that's exciting.

lollypop1999
Learner
Learner
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:25 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by lollypop1999 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:55 am

i must admit i was kind of shocked there's a thread for ashley!!

i really love her. i think her style is adorable, she is stunning and i love her chatty videos. her girl-talk videos are really helpful to me, a 17 year old girl, and i truly find her relatable lol

i can see how she would annoy some people tho

User avatar
lmp25438
Learner
Learner
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 11:24 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: bestdressed

Post by lmp25438 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:03 pm

palmer wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 am
I like Ashley and I think it's good that she's trying to step away from the fashion content a bit (that stuff tends to get repetitive pretty easily). That being said, I haven't clicked on her last 3 videos, and I think that's because I kind of feel like I'm...too old for them? I'm only 25, but I guess I'm at a different stage in life. No offense but the topics she addresses all seem kind of teenage-like to me and very generic reflections/advice.
As someone of similar age who watched her last 3 videos, I agree. It’s so annoying hearing her droning on and on about she’s ~*~an adult now guise~*~ but most of the non-YouTube issues in her life are still rooted in teenage insecurity/mentality. I found her via the room makeover video of hers that went viral last year and she was a breath of fresh air to me. Nowadays, she’s no different from the Gen Z youtubers out there so if I see one more “being a YouTuber at 21 is hardddd” video upload, I’ll scream.

hanaemii
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:49 pm
Has thanked: 842 times
Been thanked: 329 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by hanaemii » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:58 pm

palmer wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 am
I like Ashley and I think it's good that she's trying to step away from the fashion content a bit (that stuff tends to get repetitive pretty easily). That being said, I haven't clicked on her last 3 videos, and I think that's because I kind of feel like I'm...too old for them? I'm only 25, but I guess I'm at a different stage in life. No offense but the topics she addresses all seem kind of teenage-like to me and very generic reflections/advice.
I'm the same, I have 0 interest in her videos lately. I guess it kind of makes sense for her to be making these videos and thinking it's "adulting" though, that mindset alone is very 'teenage-like'.

abidot
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:53 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by abidot » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:06 am

I haven’t been into her chatty content besides her post-break up video, which is basically the only one where she actually leaves her house lmao. To me her latest videos have been low-effort ways to push content out every week. I understand wanting to have consistency on your channel but quality wins over quantity every time imo.

askthatgorl
Learner
Learner
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 am
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by askthatgorl » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm

lmp25438 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:03 pm
palmer wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 am
I like Ashley and I think it's good that she's trying to step away from the fashion content a bit (that stuff tends to get repetitive pretty easily). That being said, I haven't clicked on her last 3 videos, and I think that's because I kind of feel like I'm...too old for them? I'm only 25, but I guess I'm at a different stage in life. No offense but the topics she addresses all seem kind of teenage-like to me and very generic reflections/advice.
As someone of similar age who watched her last 3 videos, I agree. It’s so annoying hearing her droning on and on about she’s ~*~an adult now guise~*~ but most of the non-YouTube issues in her life are still rooted in teenage insecurity/mentality. I found her via the room makeover video of hers that went viral last year and she was a breath of fresh air to me. Nowadays, she’s no different from the Gen Z youtubers out there so if I see one more “being a YouTuber at 21 is hardddd” video upload, I’ll scream.
I mean I love Ashley but to emphasize your point, look at who is in her vidcon thumbnail. I don’t hate Pham but like... you tend to sound like or behave more like “friends” as misery loves company. The constant droning about not knowing what to do in life and sounding relatable. Most twenty somethings don’t know who they are which is fair but most don’t make a profit off of it? At least Ashely is giving us something different and actually has knowledge about her interests like sustainability. However, I cannot say the same for some of the “friends” she’s showing and parroting in her current content

froops
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:39 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: bestdressed

Post by froops » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:42 pm

askthatgorl wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm
lmp25438 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:03 pm
palmer wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 am
I like Ashley and I think it's good that she's trying to step away from the fashion content a bit (that stuff tends to get repetitive pretty easily). That being said, I haven't clicked on her last 3 videos, and I think that's because I kind of feel like I'm...too old for them? I'm only 25, but I guess I'm at a different stage in life. No offense but the topics she addresses all seem kind of teenage-like to me and very generic reflections/advice.
As someone of similar age who watched her last 3 videos, I agree. It’s so annoying hearing her droning on and on about she’s ~*~an adult now guise~*~ but most of the non-YouTube issues in her life are still rooted in teenage insecurity/mentality. I found her via the room makeover video of hers that went viral last year and she was a breath of fresh air to me. Nowadays, she’s no different from the Gen Z youtubers out there so if I see one more “being a YouTuber at 21 is hardddd” video upload, I’ll scream.
I mean I love Ashley but to emphasize your point, look at who is in her vidcon thumbnail. I don’t hate Pham but like... you tend to sound like or behave more like “friends” as misery loves company. The constant droning about not knowing what to do in life and sounding relatable. Most twenty somethings don’t know who they are which is fair but most don’t make a profit off of it? At least Ashely is giving us something different and actually has knowledge about her interests like sustainability. However, I cannot say the same for some of the “friends” she’s showing and parroting in her current content
It's so weird to me that she's "friends" with highschoolers. Like yeah they're all youtubers and the internet is known for bringing people from different age groups together. And I know it's probably all just for youtube anyway, but man I would feel awkward if I was her. I'm a few months younger than her and kids like haley and avrey are just that - kids to me. Even if it was for work I'd feel weird hanging out with them. Surely there must be some influencers closer to her own age/situation in life she could collab with? Then again, it's probably all calculated anyway to appeal to her young target demographic

Post Reply

Return to “A-E”